PDA

View Full Version : Tire Smoking 1969 style with my 68 L88 B/M Camaro

SuperCars
11-11-2002, 11:48 AM
These are from the original owner of my 68. He was 23 just got divorced and out to have fun. Note the Hood Tach. Also the SS 427 emblems on the stinger hood.

SuperCars
11-11-2002, 11:54 AM
Warm-up, ready for the "peelie"

SuperCars
11-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Note the Nov 69 date on picture frame

SuperCars
11-11-2002, 12:06 PM
Okay enough already. Anyway brings back memories of exactly what I did in those years. /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

MikeA
11-11-2002, 12:41 PM
Cool pics!

COPO
11-11-2002, 01:12 PM
Kevin, awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing. Where was the owner from?

SS427
11-11-2002, 03:16 PM
Kevin, very /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif , thanks for sharing. Seeing these original era photos are always very refreshing. When I recently purchased my '67 SS427 Impala and was loading it on the trailer, the owner came up to me with a November '68 photo of the car out in the woods with two deer in the trunk from the hunting season. Always nice to see these old photos.

Stefano
11-11-2002, 04:02 PM
Very Cool /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

SuperCars
11-11-2002, 08:23 PM
The owner lived in Showegan Maine. Drove down to Motion's shop in Jan 69 with his brother. Said the car was in the back corner of Motion's shop covered with dust. When they opened the hood he realized it was something different by the unpainted Aluminum Heads. The original Baldwin P-O-P shows it was originally 396/375 L78 motor before the transplant. The new delivery date is 1-29-69 with his name and address on the P-O-P. Said he had it just over a year then traded in for a shelby Mustang in Connecticut. Said that was a mistake. I would agree with him on that one.

copo9566aa
11-11-2002, 08:45 PM
Kevin
Thanks for sharing these cool pictures and info. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

hvychev
11-11-2002, 10:44 PM
Kevin, Totaly awesome pics!!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif The fact it is your car back in the day actually "in action" is cool!! Your lucky to have them.

mhassett
11-12-2002, 12:45 AM
Kevin, Those pictures are Priceless and you are lucky to have them!! Thanks for sharing them with us. Again I can't believe how much your car looks like my '68. I thought it was a rally sport and a dark color. Maybe someday we can display them side by side at a show. Maybe someone can take a picture of us doing burn-outs!! Take care, Mark

COPO PETE
11-12-2002, 12:55 AM
Love them old photo's!!!! Hope when you bought it, it was'nt advertised as "lady driven" /ubbthreads/images/icons/smirk.gif SS427..... Lets see the photo's with the deer!!!!!!!!
Peter

SS427
11-12-2002, 11:44 AM
Pete,
I hate to contaminate the site with barge photos but will see what I can do /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif . As I have no scanner, I will have to shoot the photo and post that.
Rick

copolocater
11-12-2002, 05:57 PM
Ok Kevin & Mark enough fun.Mark take the hood tach back off of your car and send it back to Kevin. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

SuperCars
11-13-2002, 10:02 PM
Actually I am in need of a Hood Tach. Do you or any one out there have one? It should be the same as the one on my Camaro, in that appears to be the same style as the GTO Pontiac Hood Tach, but says Chevrolet on the face.

COPO
11-13-2002, 10:24 PM
Kevin, from old magazines, it looks like the tach is a Pontiac item with just a Chevrolet sticker placed on it.

Keith Tedford
11-14-2002, 02:34 AM
I'm not sure, but I think you could buy these tachs over the GM parts counter with the Chevrolet name on them. Don't quote me on that. The tach on the hood of my '68 Ram Air Firebird didn't survive the first winter before the moisture got to it. Repairs were as expensive as replacement.

Rat_Pack
11-15-2002, 12:00 PM
Kevin, the hood tachs were the Pontiac tachs that Joel used. I have only seen one with the Chevrolet lettering and it is a decal applied over the top of the Pontiac lettering. However, not all of them were done that way as there are numerous photos of "test" cars with the Pontiac lettering still in place. Doesn't your DY 69 have the Chevrolet sticker over the top of the Pontiac lettering on the tach? I remember seeing it at Milt's years ago and I asked Jake about it and he said that the decal was added. You can buy one of the "new" reproductions from Year One and add the Chevrolet lettering to it. I have one of the new ones and it works smoother and more accurately than the earlier ones done by Logan...................RatPack............... /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

See attachment of the 68 Chevelle with the Pontiac tach...........

SuperCars
11-15-2002, 01:31 PM
Okay thanks for the info. The Hood Tach on my 69 B/M Camaro does say Chevrolet. It must be a decal over the Pontiac name. I will check out the new ones from year one. I assume they are correct in appearance etc?

Rat_Pack
11-15-2002, 04:36 PM
Kevin, externally they are the same but they do not have the drain for condensation as on original does. The lights stay on all the time (or you can wire them up to come on with your lights) and the heat from the bulbs will keep condesation from building up. The originals pop riveted on the hood where the repros have studs with 10-24 nuts to secure them. This is a better deal as the tach can be removed from the hood easier in case of repair. Once on the car you would be hard pressed to tell from the outside which tach it is. There are some other differences in the faces as to color also...............RatPack............ /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Check your email................

SuperCars
11-16-2002, 12:33 PM
Thanks Troy. I'll check them out. Then I have to find out where I can get the Chevrolet lettering to put on it. I'll look closely at my 69 B/M camaro Tach to replicate what it has.

70 copo
11-16-2002, 12:57 PM
Mark,

The planning that you put into the restoration of your car was right on the money. You really were true to the L-88 as Motion had completed the car. You should duplicate the old photos today with your L-88.... Dare ya to smoke /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif em up..!

Phil