copo9566aa
12-19-2002, 02:49 PM
This is not Nickey Chevrolet
But the Logo is spĒcial /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif
Everything is new at <font color="red">Nickey/Chicago </font color>
Nickey-The Original Supercar Builder. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

copo9566aa
12-19-2002, 02:59 PM
Better look on the Logo.With Good Year tire on the center.

sixtiesmuscle
12-19-2002, 03:49 PM
This logo was used after the dealership closed, and, the speed shop moved to Milwaukee Ave. '74-76 timeframe. There are a small number of stickers like this around from time to time.

hvychev
12-19-2002, 07:31 PM
Mike G or anybody else, did you ever actually visit Nickey Chevrolet back then at the Irving Park Rd location or when they had the speed shop on Milwaukee Ave? How was it back then?

Did people in the area go there for their speed parts or was it a lot of mail order business with all the magazine ad's and all?

My father grew up in the city back in the 60's and early 70's and he tells me that a lot of people where he lived on the west side went to Warshowski's or Blue Star Auto. Where did you guys go?

TimG
12-19-2002, 09:19 PM
We bought a 1972 442 new from Nortell Olds and I put 60 series Goodyear tires on it in 73. I borrowed money from my friends mom for the tires. I bought them from, and had them installed at the Nickey speed shop. They enjoyed what they did and loved taking off the skinny tires. They all came out and watched as I pulled the orange 442 out of the shop.

DarrenX33
12-19-2002, 09:56 PM
Frank-

Oh man my Dad lived at Warshowski's (Is that how you spell it?). He had a couple Model 'A' Fords and he used to get parts there often. Now in the early 70's when my brother was tuning his 71 Z-28, the place to go was Grand Automotive in Broadview. I had frequent trips there as a young boy. I'll have to ask but when my Mom was moving I found an old I-94 highway sign with a vintage Motion sticker on it. Not sure if my Bro used them for parts to.

sixtiesmuscle
12-20-2002, 02:53 AM
Frank, I started driving, legally at least, in '62. I lived in Niles which was about a half hour from Nickey, and, we used to go there whenever possible. They would let us take all kinds of hot cars for test drives, and, we would be very respectful, until we got out of sight. That came to a halt when they said one of their test drives forgot to return the car. Then you had to take a salesman with. That just wasn't any fun anymore.

The speed shop was huge, and, very well stocked. All stuff we couldn't afford, but, it was sure fun to look at &amp; pretend. When they moved to Milwaukee Ave, and became just "Nickey-Chicago" it wasn't quite as elaborate, but, I think they actually built some pretty radical engines there.
A friend of mine has the last hi-po engine built there before they closed, and, someday I'm going to pry it out of his hands. Not sure whether I'll put it in something, or, just display it as is. Those were some days in Chicago. BTW, after stopping at Nickey, you could make a quick run by Mr. Norm's Grand Spaulding Dodge to see what they were up to.

hvychev
12-20-2002, 04:51 AM
Mike, thank you for sharing your Nickey story. Speaking of Grand Spaulding Dodge, my father (I know that I mention him a lot but like you he was their and I just love the guy! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif ) had kind of a cool story about Mr. Norms. Back in 1968 He got a call from a friend of his that said he just bought a car from Mr.Norms. His friend didn't know how to drive stick but my dad did and he needed someone to drive it home for him. My dad said the car was "day 2" to the max! It was a 1964 Malibu convert, metal flake blue paint, button tucked interior, torque thrust mags, 327, 4 speed, and a killer set of glass packs. He said that the used car lot was loaded with various makes &amp; models of muscle cars. Believe it or not he said that he didn't go across the street to the new car showroom!! He was so captivated with the used car lot and pumped about driving home that bad ass Chevy!

My father is a police officer in the city and recently he made a trip back to Mr Norms while on duty. As we already know they are long gone. In the dealerships place on the south side of the street which was the new car showroom is a place called The Victory Church. On the North side of the street where the used car lot was where he was back in 1968 is a hand car wash. The building where the offices were and the used car building are still there but closed off. He was able to walk both propertys and kind of flash back to different times which was kind of cool. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Tenney
12-20-2002, 04:54 AM
I remember going to Warshawski's once or twice. Was a JC Whitney sort of place by my recollection. Also recall buying some stuff from Tony Christian at Grand. Mostly shopped w/Ray at Dixon Automotive or Jim's World of Speed as they were a bit more local to me.

copo9566aa
12-20-2002, 05:16 AM
Just curious
about one detail on this logo.
The bird have a slot mag with Good Year tires. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

The 73 Citrus Green (http://www.sonic.net/bbdon/free/nickey3.jpg) have the same wheels and tires
Reggie 74 Have a Slot Mag
Kevin 73 originaly have a slot mag ??

This setup look particular at Nickey/Chicago.

ChrisS
12-28-2002, 11:55 PM
Ad from Nickey or Mr. Norm's. /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

ChrisS
12-29-2002, 12:12 AM
Here's what Norm's had on the lot the same day.

sixtiesmuscle
12-29-2002, 02:30 AM
AAAAH, the good ol' days. When was the last time you heard of a car with a "floor box"? Putting those hemis away would have been a pretty good investment. Too bad there were no 427 Camaro trade ins to see what they were bringing when a couple years old.

ChrisS
12-29-2002, 03:07 AM
Would you settle for a Chevelle?

JChlupsa
12-29-2002, 03:52 AM
for $2295 Ill take a dozen and a dozen of the 396/375HP Nova also

Seattle Sam
12-29-2002, 04:07 AM
Looks like those Mopar guys all went to Nickey to get a REAL car!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Although, that '69 4 speed Hemi Coronet for $1595 sounds like a deal. I wonder what I could have talked him down to?

-Sam

Stefano
12-29-2002, 04:42 AM
Chris,
Thanks for posting the old advs. they are way too cool. One of the originals you gave me at the Reunion had Douglass Chevy, Mr. Norm's and Mr. Eds advs. lined up, one after another. It showed the vintage print to Jack, Ed and Norm and they all loved it as they were competitors back in their day, including Nickey Chevrolet.

Mr. Norm Signed a copy of the adv.and I just need Jack and Ed's autographs to complete the set. I'll have it ready for you soon. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

I wonder which dealer in Chicago may have sold that Yenko Chevelle, it would be cool to find one of those * Chevelles.

ChrisS
12-29-2002, 05:23 AM
I grew up between Nickey and Mr Norm's on the northwest side of the city. Unfortunately, I didn't start driving until the mid 70's so I missed out on alot as far as when the cars were new. I do however remember going with my brother to pick up his new '67 Dodge Coronet from Mr. Norm's early in the year and then later in the year when he traded it in at Jack Douglass Chevy for the 427/435 Corvette. I also remember regularly riding my bike with friends up to Nickey in the early '70s. My first high school job was at a grocery store just 2 blocks from Mr. Norm's but by that time they were in their twilight years.
For the last several years I've been just a couple of miles from the old U.S. 30 dragstrip and drive by what's left of it quite often. Like the old saying goes "a day late...".

SuperCars
12-29-2002, 04:41 PM
We are a little off track from Chev's when discussing Mopar's supercar dealer such as Mr Norm. But he was the predominant dealer for Mopar "Supercars".

Anyway, there is lesser known supercar made exclusively for "Mr Norm". It is a 68 Hurst/440 "GSS" Dart. Typically one thinks of only the infamous 68 Hurst/Hemi Darts, when it comes to 68 Darts. I've recently acquired one of these 68 Hurst/440 "GSS" Dart, and am just learning about them myself. The Hurst/440 "GSS" Darts (48 were built, 6 are accounted for) went through the same process as the Hemi Darts. They were were delivered from the factory to Hurst Corporation as rolling bodies, with 440 motors/trans separately in crates. The "GSS" stands for "Grand Spaulding Special" which was designated exclusively for Mr Norm. Then in 69 they went on to build more 440 Darts,and for Dealers other than just Mr Norm.

ChrisS
12-29-2002, 05:15 PM
sixtiesmuscle, ask and you shall recieve.
I found this one about a year ago and have exhausted the possibilities of locating it, so here it is.
Note the announcement for the construction of "Mannheim Dragway", cutting down on the travel time to Skip's Drive-in.

sixtiesmuscle
12-29-2002, 06:03 PM
Thanks, but I called and got no answer. Think it sold? Where is it now?????

Stefano
12-30-2002, 01:46 AM
SuperCars,
Nice to see you expanding your Horizons /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif. It was actually Mr. Norm's techinicians who proved to the factory Guys back in Detroit that the RB Mopar Wedge would fit into the Dart Chassis, but thats another story. /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif

Rat_Pack
12-30-2002, 04:16 AM
Stefano is right, if it wasn't for someone at Chrysler saying it can't be done and Mr.Norm saying "no problem" some of those hi-po big block A-bodies would not have existed. About 10 years ago I got to ride in one of the 440 Darts and it was a beast! My big block Camaro would have found it a tough fight to say the least........ /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif .............RatPack..............

What is it they say about big blocks in A-body MOPARs: Mo Power!!!

hvychev
03-13-2003, 04:21 AM
I was looking through my pics on the computer and after rereading this thread I thought some members would appreciate this since they might never get the chance to see Mr. Norms Grand Spaulding Dodge in person. I took the recent pictures on 1-12-2003.

http://216.136.200.194/auction/Mar/20033126454031212469255.jpg

http://216.136.200.194/auction/Mar/20033123152370544926378.jpg

http://216.136.200.194/auction/Mar/20033122557356378776437.jpg

Mr70
03-13-2003, 01:29 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

sixtiesmuscle
03-13-2003, 01:34 PM
Was that a for sale sign Frank? How's the neighborhood these days?

Belair62
03-13-2003, 02:38 PM
Bring a small caliber handgun with you to visit Norms.....It's not too good around there....SuperCars...There was a great article one of the new Muscle mags a couple months ago on a GSS..it was a gold car with fenderwell headers.Short but good article...There was a new stat-up club for Mr. Norms Sport Car Club if I remember the name correctly...I used to belong to it a few years back.

hvychev
03-14-2003, 01:14 AM
Mr 70 why the frown? I know that the state of the dealership is bad. It is still there at least.

Guys the neighborhood isn't that great. My fathers headquarters is literly three minutes behind me from the angle of the showroom pic that I took on Grand Ave. He was on duty in full uniform and in the squad car and a couple of undesireables had the stones to approach us as to what business we had to take pics around there. The old parts building across the street from the showroom is like a half way house for x criminals and dope heads called The Victory Church. My father talked to the guys and calmed them down. They thought we were sent by the city to take pics to shut them down because of the element that stays there. That is not a for sale sign on the building. It is a sign for a car wash that used to be there. I did however check the Mr Norms sport club web sight and they did say that Mr. Norm still owns the property and it is for sale. http://www.mrnorms.com/dealer/sale.html

Belair BTW we had LARGE caliber weapons with us instead of small! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://216.136.200.194/auction/Mar/20033137753162806637196.jpg
Old used car lot.
http://216.136.200.194/auction/Mar/20033136212775045729572.jpg

olredalert
03-31-2003, 03:04 AM
Kevin and Stefano,

-----Mr.Norms was the Chrysler performance dealer of all time,in my humble opinion.I also believe they probably had input into 440 darts,however,Arlen Vanke was also involved.He was given a 67 black notchback Barracuda and 440 to put together and evaluate for the factory.The thing ran pretty good too as I had a chance to buy it in 1968 from Arlen after the factory had finished it.Some kid,probably about like me,offered him a little more and got it.He was at Dragway 42 about two weeks later and scattered the engine all over the place.As I recall that old car sat around for ever after that with an empty engine compartment.I think the kid was from Wadsworth,Ohio or a town right nearby.Wonder what happened to that one?............Bill S

ChrisS
06-29-2003, 01:50 AM
I was researching the "archives" recently and found this one from November 13, 1966.

ChrisS
06-29-2003, 01:52 AM
And one more featuring the big guy himself.

mc25t190
06-29-2003, 04:32 PM
if i could just wind the clock back and dig deep into the wallet for the earlier ad on the yenko chevelle and the nickey camaro? what was i thinking when i was just 10 yrs. old?

Stefano
07-03-2003, 04:28 AM
Chris,
Very interesting Find, as it still not acknowledged that Dickie Harrell was indeed an employee of Nickey Chevrolet.

copo9566aa
07-05-2003, 01:25 PM
Another Nickey/Thomas ads
With just Bonanza mention. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

tripps
08-25-2003, 07:41 AM
most dont remember but mr norms also had a dealership in the suburbs. i think it was buffalo grove on dundee rd (68)