PDA

View Full Version : Values dropping according to NADA

NWYENKO
12-26-2002, 03:37 PM
Rec'd my Jan-Apr NADA today. ZL1 is down to $145k from $166800 and Yenko Camaros down to $75500 from $94300. Where do thes guys get their info!! Looks they have reduced values across the board. Yenko Chevelle remained at $61600. Anyone know of any of these cars for sale at these prices?? /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif Jim

JBB
12-26-2002, 03:44 PM
I can't see how these cars are lessening in value. The only things I can attribute to that is a possible conflict in the Middle East or a conflict with Korea, along with a economy that is not as vibrant as it is portrayed........

sYcYenko
12-26-2002, 05:57 PM
Well let me know where I can find these cars at those prices and I will buy them all day long. No prices dropping anywhere I can see. Just keep going up.

Carl
www.batterytoppers.com (http://www.batterytoppers.com)

RonNova396L34
12-26-2002, 11:37 PM
Has any looked at what a BB Nova's top price is. I tried getting a higher insurance coverage for my car and the top price was listed at 10,000. Yeah right. I got more than that just in PARTS.
Ron /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

JChlupsa
12-26-2002, 11:46 PM
Ron this is what it came up when I just looked:

Classic Car Consumer Prices
December 26, 2002
1970 Chevrolet NOVA SUPER SPORT
2 Door Sedan

MSRP
Original Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price when new N/A
Low Retail Average Retail High Retail
Base Price $5,100 $9,750 $16,200

Options and Equipment
4 Speed Transmission add: $985 $1,250 $1,575
396 V8 Engine add: 50% 50% 50%

Total Price $8,635 $15,875 $25,875

RonNova396L34
12-26-2002, 11:56 PM
Anybody know where I can find this book? I even tried to get my car appraised but that was even less than the top value the insurance company came up with. The appraiser around here was using a Old Cars Price Guide and he even laughed when he saw the top price!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

JChlupsa
12-26-2002, 11:58 PM
http://www3.nadaguides.com/

RonNova396L34
12-27-2002, 12:08 AM
Jeff,
Thanks, I'll look it up when I get a chance. I hope I can convince my insurance agent then.
Ron /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Jeff H
12-27-2002, 02:29 AM
So what's a 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, crossram, etc. worth? Hopefully more than I've put into it so far. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

Don_Lightfoot
12-27-2002, 02:46 AM
Thanks very much for that link Jeff. I have reviewed the books numerous times as I have a friend who actually inputs for the NADA, primarily on GTO's, but I was unaware of the website where you can actually input your vehicle information.

They show different value ranges - Low Retail, Average and High. A further disclaimer indicates the High is not a "100 Point" or "Number 1" car as they assume those vehicles are not driven. These would obviously be valued above the "High Retail".

I would appreciate a couple of opinions on this if any of you are inclined. Mine is driven occassionally and the condition would fall under the "High Retail" description. It has a CE block which is obviously where the "open for value debate" comes in. When considering Muscle Cars, I have always used a reduction of about 25% or slightly higher without the original engine, then apply that percentage to the value of the vehicle relative to it's condition. Would you guys agree with that reduced percentage figure or would you feel the percentage would be different? Appreciate it.

I've been involved in this hobby for about eleven years now and I do not see the prices declining at all. My enquiry on the above website indicated a value about 10% higher than the last time I checked the book which was probably in the early summer.

allcamaro
12-27-2002, 03:09 AM
I talked to the insurance co I am with now and they will not
( NOT ) insure a car that is not in running order or should I say in the process of being restored and scattered all over three states.The last time I changed insurance they insured my 67 RS SS that was a nice driver I had probably 10 grand in and would not insure my 69 RS SS L89 car that was on a rotissery that I had spent probably 20 grand on,also another thought is that they will not insure ATV`s and things like that in your garage.I have State Farm .

SS427
12-27-2002, 03:31 AM
Nice site. I plugged in a couple of my cars and cars I restored to see how accurate they were as I had my doubts. Amazingly, they were pretty darn good. The LS-6 came out at $80k which is actually higher than I had thought and my SS427's came out in the $14-16k range which is just a little low in my opinion. The only disappointment is when my SS427's were listed under 'Passenger cars' instead of Muscle cars. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif Maybe they should have a heading for 'Barges'. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

TDW
12-27-2002, 10:02 AM
I have a 68 Z28 that went through Diamond Certification in 2001. It was scored as Level One-Junior. I have an appraisal from Mac Neish. The NADA value is 10,000 HIGHER than the one from Jerry........Tony

Belair62
12-27-2002, 02:13 PM
SS427...you need to get the NADA book on boats. Thats where I found my Belair.

SS427
12-27-2002, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif Probably rated higher in the barge section anyway. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif
Rick

sixtiesmuscle
12-27-2002, 10:13 PM
Rick, can you tell us about your LS6? Obviously the values on these are going way up with the rest of the "supercars", but, I'm surprised any chart would show 80. Are they finally catching on?

Charley Lillard
12-27-2002, 10:26 PM
Mike...I went to Nada guides and plugged in a LS6 Chevelle with Cowl induction and high retail is 81,330.00.

sixtiesmuscle
12-27-2002, 11:54 PM
Thanks Chuckie.oops, That's outstanding. I wonder which car sold for that & where.

SS427
12-28-2002, 02:20 AM
Mike, unfortunately, the LS-6 is not mine, just one I restored for a customer in Minnesota. It was the Shadow Grey LS-6 in the 4 car Chevelle display at VetteFest. 3 different appraisers put the value around 15% less than what NADA's numbers are at. As of late, the top dollars I have heard given for the LS-6's have been in the neighborhood of $65K or just a little higher. There have been exceptions to that rule on some really odd cars. I have been restoring, documenting and tracking the LS-6 for over 4 years now and they are doing very well as an investment for anyone that bought one in the last several years or earlier. I am on a quest to find some myself and have it narrowed down to a couple of good ones. One of which I believe I told you about privately. Could be an interesting year. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

olredalert
12-28-2002, 05:16 AM
Rick,

------Are you going out to Scottsdale for the auctions?Id like to run into you some time.........Bill S.....ol red!

ORIGLS6
12-28-2002, 05:35 AM
Charley,
I did the same thing and came up with $81,890. Do you suppose they're worth more in the midwest? /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif
I REALLY need to speak with my insurance agent.

sixtiesmuscle
12-28-2002, 01:40 PM
Sounds about right from what I've seen too Rick. With so many coupes sold, and, the huge amount of questionable cars out there, it seems to hold the values down. IMO, that should make the real, well documented, & "odd" cars even more valuable. Keep looking for those priced at four years ago prices.

Mr70
12-28-2002, 02:52 PM
I don't see an accurate price listed there for a 1970 Chevelle:<ul type="square">*L78/L89 Convertible*Ray Ridge ZL-1 454,with Fiberglass ft. end*Tricentenial special LS-6, Completely painted in Specail Gold color,including rims. *Canadian built LS-6[/list]Although quality is what sets the rest apart with regards to pricing,Survivor 1970 LS-6 Chevelles have been touching the 80's for a while now too.

SS427
12-28-2002, 10:05 PM
Bill, sorry I won't be at the auction. We will have to get together someday soon. If it's not sold by then, bring Ol Red to Chevellabration '03 (The LS-6 is being highlighted) or maybe the SuperCar Reunion. The more the merrier.

Mike, unfortunately (or furtunately depending on how you look at it), I am seeing bocus or very inaccurate LS-6's bring top dollar every day. I have seen some absolutely absurd stuff happen on e-bay for junk cars or worse yet, just LS-6 bodies (what is so special about an LS-6 body??). These have only helped drive the prices higher as the real quality cars are having little trouble bringing good money. My problem has been finding quality cars. I look at at least 12 cars a year and of that 1 or maybe 2 are worth buying. There are a lot of people out there trying to make good money off of other's ignorance. /ubbthreads/images/icons/mad.gif

Belair62
12-28-2002, 10:16 PM
The Carolina blue,special paint car was cool...seems like it has been around the block a few times shuffling from dealer to dealer...whats the deal with that car (besides the color)

mr gasser
12-29-2002, 12:46 AM
Could be the painted gold ,master and brake booster....

Belair62
12-29-2002, 12:52 AM
A 1 hour fix....what was the highest bid on that car ? Was there paperwork with that car ?

Mr70
12-29-2002, 01:14 AM
Ask Charlie,he used to own it before Legendary got a hold of it.

Charley Lillard
12-29-2002, 02:00 AM
It didn't have gold painted booster or Master when I owned it. I don't like the stripes they added. The drivetrain is orig. except the block has been partially decked. The only paperwork left is a copy of the build sheet that I supplied. The orig. paperwork was kept by Dave Simpson. The orig. owners name was on the build sheet and I found him. He sold it in 89 for 6K including a trailer. Cool car but the Color is kinda boring. Fast LS6.

olredalert
12-29-2002, 03:18 AM
------What kind of opinions float around about Legendary?I have mine and will elaborate as I see how this thread progresses...........Bill S......ol red!

MotownMadman
12-29-2002, 01:47 PM
Bill, I am going to do my best to make that auction, I may send someone in my place, I will let you know. Motown /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

SS427
12-30-2002, 03:51 AM
Well, this should get interesting as an example. I am guessing it will go well into the $**'s. Pretty well documented survivor with a racing history to boot. I do know of one other car with more documentation but less of a history and it's had offers that are way up there. Time will tell.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=1875993027&amp;category=61 64

SS427
12-30-2002, 01:23 PM
Just a heads up to anyone interested in this LS-6, the survivor status is being used and one needs to be cautious. Though it appears to be an excellent example with documentation, and I am certainly not knocking the car, there are many items under the hood that need to be addressed. Many of those items are very small and unnoticeable by most by still worth mentioning. Survivors retain all their original equipment and show no signs of restoration work. I have received several e-mails and calls regarding this car and just wanted to point that out. Very nice car and history none the less.

Rat_Pack
12-30-2002, 01:47 PM
allcamaro, you should look into changing your insurance to American National Property and Casualty. They offer a "chrome" package just for the car enthusiast and they cover a car being restored, repaired, or whatever condition it is in. Click on this link for information on the "Chrome" package: http://anpac.com/AmericanNat/more/carsindex.htm corner..............RatPack......................

Mr70
12-30-2002, 02:55 PM
WoW!
David Bunns old Blue Chevelle.He had/has a Red LS-6 too.He owned GM Muscle out of North Carolina I believe.
I do not know a thing about the seller today,but I remember reading alot about this car in the 80's.
I always wondered what happened to this Chevelle.
Mark Meekins gave it alot of ink back then.

olredalert
12-31-2002, 02:01 AM
"Red Alert"-----half the original miles-----twice the provenance-----ten times as famous-----over a million more models sold-----probably as much original paint-----original block,trans,and rear-----Oh,and a spare 760 horsepower engine-----just a little over twice the price-----what a deal!!!!!!!.......Bill S.......ol red!

ORIGLS6
12-31-2002, 05:01 AM
Using these numbers;
LS-5=360 HP
LS-6=450 HP
LS-7=465 HP
May we presume the 760 HP engine is the never-before-mentioned LS-10,11,? /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif