PDA

View Full Version : 69 copo

mr gasser
01-01-2003, 04:21 PM
Looking for 69 copo chevelle or camaro ready to buy.Please email.

Belair62
01-01-2003, 11:44 PM
What color you looking for ?

mr gasser
01-02-2003, 01:06 AM
Huggar, Black,silver,white,yellow..... /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

mc25t190
01-03-2003, 03:12 PM
dave belk has the nicest copo chevelle i've seen, monoca orange, was at supercar reunion. you might try him, his cars are always superb!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Kevin;
Are you a Chevelle, Nova or Camaro Diamond judge? I'm not sure how you justify your use of adjectives regarding these cars!

Please don't overuse terms like 'best' 'superb' etc... when they should really only be used for a very, very small percentage of cars. Cars that qualify for a description like that usually have been through some very scrutinizing critique by an independant team of judges.

I'm not referring to any particular cars, so nobody needs to send me any fire-balls. It's important to recognize those cars in the top 5% with appropriate terminology, the owners deserve it. I know that a lot of cars have to go through a round or two of Diamond judging before they can earn that level of distinction - Vette Fest judging doesn't count either! The individual clubs contain the knowledge necessary to lend credence to a Diamond certification.

Belair62
01-03-2003, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't be too hard on him Marlin...he qualified it by saying it was the nicest "he" has ever seen...I'm not sure how many he has seen...but he hasn't seen mine !!!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif Remember when everything was "mint" !!!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-03-2003, 05:17 PM
I understand Bob, I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time - just give props to those cars/owners that have earned the terminology. Otherwise, every car with a pretty paint job is the nicest one out there - Kevin knows how a factory paint job should look from his yellow car; runs, fades, porosity, etc... and that's probably the best car he owns!

Belair62
01-03-2003, 06:17 PM
I've seen some pretty knowledgable judges at Vettefest...why do you discount them ?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-03-2003, 06:28 PM
I've seen just the opposite, I guess it's in the perspective and personal experience. I was actually surprised at the judging at VF, I thought they would be more thorough - but then I remember my own judging experiences, I couldn't wait to be done with it, it's a thankless job. Maybe I just happened to be there on bad years, or maybe the Nova judges aren't the same as the other marques. I know Deisner is a knowledgeable judge for the Camaros, and I'm sure the other types of cars also have good judges. So, I'll qualify my prior statement to pertain only to the Nova judges - trying to stay out of hot water /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

In my experience the best judging gets done by the individual clubs. What I consider 'the best judging' is when you get to know the club, the judges and your car a little better after the results are in. I know I learn something new about my car each time I go to the Nova Nationals, mainly from the guys who do the judging or have been around for 'a long' time. Lanny of NNN-Indy is one of those types of judges.

mc25t190
01-03-2003, 06:38 PM
marlin,
you're right, i'm wrong. i said it was the nicest copo chevelle i've seen, i am not a judge. i was trying to be nice, nothing else intended, don't claim to be a diamond, gold, certified judge.
the nicest example of a copo yenko chevelle happens to reside "in my opinion" in my garage, a chuck huber 997 point vettefest judged car. this is only my opinion and the judges at vettefest.
the nicest unrestored original car in my collection is the yenko camaro from brian henderson.
BTW the compliment i made on your deuce is one shared by many, it was a compliment! i hope there are no hard feelings, why the backlash?
no phone calls please i will not be judging any more cars, just sharing my opinion.
sincerely,
kevin hand

Belair62
01-03-2003, 06:41 PM
The more I thought about the the more I realized you were right. Thats why I don't bother going thru the hassle of showing there anymore.I saw a car that wasn't even cleaned up very well,dirty tires,floor mats etc. take a Top Gun award !

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-03-2003, 06:52 PM
Kevin;
I didn't intend to un-compliment you or your cars, but you can't really justify making comments on cars you haven't seen! Furthermore, when people read your opinion on a car, that can be misleading when you haven't judged the car, or had it judged by the appropriate party.

I know you're just givin props to various club members, but if you haven't seen the car or lack the appropriate knowledge to give the props - it's just words. No backlash from me, just tryin to figure out where your coming from, that's all.

01-03-2003, 06:53 PM
I'm lost /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif Is my COPO the nicest or not? /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif Lets face it, noone can judge a car but the owner. Its the only opinion that matters.

paragon
01-03-2003, 06:59 PM
Will you take one almost finished,its got a 69/427 though. <font color="blue"> </font color>

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-03-2003, 07:04 PM
Dave;
You are correct, what's nice or not is in the eye of the beholder. What's 'the best' is also a subjective opinion. That's why a couple of rounds through a Diamond level judging situation is helpful. I know a lot of people who have purchased 'the 1,000 pt' car based on people's opinions, only to find out later that the car falls flat at the Diamond level.

I'm not referring to Novas here either, even though I own one (er, two!). The NNN does not have the Diamond level type of judging, so for us, it is imperative that we put the car through a few rounds of judging in order to get a complete perspective of the quality of the restoration.

I know that I got my butt handed to me on some areas of my car during this years NNN judging. Some of it was correct, other items were just things that I believe are correct and the judges disagreed. All part of the learning curve, and my first place showing is only because of the cars that showed up for that particular show. If some other cars had been there that I know are better than mine, I might not have even placed! So, my statements are referring to cars in general, not Dave's Chevelle, my Yenko, or anyone elses ride.

mc25t190
01-03-2003, 07:05 PM
i'm coming from greensboro, nc. i am sorry i've offended you, lets keep this off the site!
again,
simply expressing an opinion, not a judges opinion! i am definitely not the guru or claim to be.
have a blessed weekend!
kevin hand

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-03-2003, 07:06 PM
I'm from PA, and am in no way offended. (Can't offend a Philly Eagle fan)
/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

mc25t190
01-03-2003, 07:11 PM
it is one of the best, in my opinion! i am not a judge though, dave (deuce king)

Stefano
01-03-2003, 07:12 PM
There are not very many COPO/Yenko Chevelles even found,so it is a treat to me when I get to see any of them.

Show Car Judges are only Human and their task will most always be subjective to a degree. I certainly have not always agreed with "the Judges" at a given venue, but that is part of the game if you choose to play. Judging takes an exhuastive time and effort whether at a local or national level and there is not one judge or person who knows it all.

I would have to say that K.H is certainly qualified to give his own opinion on that which he has seen. He didn't say Judged the best, he said, "I have seen."

Kevin, Bob and Dave have some of the Best Restored Cars, Chevys,COPOs that I have ever seen and that is my opinion. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

JoeC
01-03-2003, 08:47 PM
It has been my experience that there are not many judges who know what is correct on the 69 Chevelles. There is not much info available on the 69s. The one Chevelle book by Hurd has a lot of incorrect information which is a worse situation then having no information. I have seen 69s go though inspection and not lose any points for obvious incorrect parts.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-03-2003, 08:48 PM
Thanks Steve!

Mike
01-03-2003, 08:50 PM
Wow!!! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Nice and Superb? Do Diamond level judges loosely catagorize vehicles into "nice" catagories and "Superb" catagories....I don't think so. Marlin, I understand where your coming from (as far as judging) but I can't understand why you would respond to Kevins subjective post in the manner you did. It's not as though Kevin said the cars were judged the best.

Kevin, why apologize...its your opinion?

Mike

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-03-2003, 08:55 PM
Mike;
It's hard to show 'tone' when you post on these boards, and I certainly wasn't trying to knock KH. However, it's best to reserve your opinion to those cars that you have seen firsthand, and have sufficient knowledge to render such a terminology. That's all, no harm meant, hopefully, no harm done.

mr gasser
01-03-2003, 09:19 PM
Wow....Lighten up guys. Kevin thanks, I have seen it your right nice car would love to own it. you never know /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif I am probably going to paint the deuce willys blue so everyone knows its my car. or donate it to high school shop class.....And yes Marlin nova judges at vettfest. /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

Charley Lillard
01-03-2003, 09:34 PM
Marlin...your first comment did seem a bit much. Your later comment "Otherwise, every car with a pretty paint job is the nicest one out there - Kevin knows how a factory paint job should look from his yellow car; runs, fades, porosity, etc... and that's probably the best car he owns!" is also just your opinion on what you might believe is superb. Some others might consider Superb as a perfect paint job done the way Chevrolet would want it. I would much rather own a Restored car with fenders and doors that fit correctly than a restored car that is put back together with the same fenders and doors put back on with Crappy fit just because it came off the assembly line that way. We could both look at two cars and disagree on which one is Superb because we might have different opinions on what is superb. Kevin voiced his opinion on what he thinks is Superb. Factory orig. paint is neat but that doesn't necessarily mean it is Superior. They are just opinions and we all have them.

T Billigen
01-03-2003, 09:55 PM
I think your right Charly, I want a car that is as perfect as you can get it. When you went to the new car shows back in the 60s you did'nt see any factory mistakes, these cars were perfect! If you are spending big bucks on a resto why would you want runs and poorly fitting doors? I would prefer a concours car over a factory correct one anytime. Hands chevelle is a prime example of "Concours".

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-03-2003, 10:00 PM
Charley;
Point taken, no offense intended to any party, just improper tone on my initial post. My apologies to Kevin Hand.

It would be interesting to see how the Diamond judges would judge two cars under your scenario. Do they make allowances for GM's poor paint and fit on an original car, but would not allow the same on a restored car? I don't know the answer, but somehow we allow GM's overspray on floor boards and firewalls on a restored car as 'correct', but paint runs in the trunk spatter as 'sloppy restoration' - even though it's just as correct. It makes for interesting conversation at car shows, basically the extent to which cars can be over-restored - yet still 'correct'. I guess that's why we can each restore our cars to the degree that best suits us, and that which makes us happiest /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

copo9566aa
01-03-2003, 10:24 PM
I wonder it is which it expert for judging a Chevelle COPO. /ubbthreads/images/icons/ooo.gif
The most mysterious Chevelle in the world. /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

Belair62
01-03-2003, 10:36 PM
Hey Kevin...my Belair scored 998 at Vettefest ! And my Chevelles are better than your Chevelles /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Stefano
01-03-2003, 11:19 PM
Your Welcome, Marlin!

hvychev
01-04-2003, 12:30 AM
Marlin how did KH's comment have anything to do with judging?? Note to self...Never say that a particular car is the nicest that you have ever seen. You might upset Marlin. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Seriously. I agree somewhat to what you said about the judges at Vette Fest. I think that it has a lot to do with each particular judge. For instance the judge that judged my Monte Carlo SS was not all that knowledgeable about these cars. He has a 1976 Monte Carlo so that is who they consider an authority all generations of Monte's. I ended up getting a 994 out of a 1000 and I thought either he was to generous or just didn't know these particular cars. I know of many little areas that needed attention that he passed right over. The car is very nice for a 17 year old original car but I would be curious to see how it would fair in a diamond type certification.

The other exterme is when I went to see Dennis Hartwegs COPO Nova he told me that the judges just left after a three hour marathon on his car. He told me that they got him for a few things but overall it went allright. Now I don't know if they were spending so much time on his car cause they were impressed with it and they looked at it as a reference or if the judges were that anal that it took them 3 hours to judge a car that normaly in a show like that it usually takes them about a half hour.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-04-2003, 12:41 AM
Frank;
I don't actually remember how this post wound it way towards judging, but oh well - it's better for me, maybe I can stay out of trouble /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I don't get upset over this stuff, I don't take it that personal. Anyone can have their opinion on something they have seen, and from their perspective it will probably differ from another guy's opinion. Charley is correct, each guy is a little different when the subject of 'nice' or 'superb' comes along.

I wish I could have seen DH's COPO Nova, it's one of my favorite colors. Now if I could just find one, cheap, hmmmm... An original paint fathom blue '68 COPO Nova just sold from NNN's Nova Times the other day - so they are still out there /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif

hvychev
01-04-2003, 12:48 AM
Marlin you missed a beauty. Cool color, LOVE the steelies with the dog dishes, and the simplicity of the interior. He had quite an interesting display to go along with the car as well. I loved the pictures of how the Nova was found. Covered in at least an inch of dust with the DEUCES WILD race lettering still on the rear quarters. I don't know. I might have restored it back to it's racing glory! /ubbthreads/images/icons/ooo.gif

Belair62
01-04-2003, 01:25 AM
Frank can you post some of those pics ? That would have been a heck of a cool find...

hvychev
01-04-2003, 02:17 AM
Belair I wish that it was my car. The car can be seen on this site in the other event section in the Vette Fest thread. The pics that are posted are in it's restored state. Dennis is a member of this site. I think his screen name is 68 COPO II. Maybe he could post the pic that I saw of the car when Kim H found it. Dennis are you out there?!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

68 COPO II
01-04-2003, 03:53 AM
Frank, Here's the photo you were talking about. The car was a race car all its life and here it is after 12 years of storage.

68 COPO II
01-04-2003, 04:02 AM
Here is a second pic from the front.

68 COPO II
01-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Here is the original matching number engine setting along side. The heads and intake had never been off and the original carb, 284 water pump, five blade fan and fan clutch, 1170 distributor with factory markings were all still there.

SS427
01-04-2003, 04:25 AM
Dennis,
Is that an orange painted front engine lift bracket or it just my eyes playing tricks on me. More than likely it is just rusted?
Rick

hvychev
01-04-2003, 05:00 AM
Awesome Dennis!!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

ORIGLS6
01-04-2003, 06:05 AM
Rick,
Check out the rear bracket too.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-04-2003, 12:44 PM
thanks Dennis, I can only hope to find one of those Grecian Greenies /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Mr70
01-04-2003, 04:21 PM
The front engine Pull Bracket looks Orange from here.

It's funny how once you assemble a bunch of cars all under one roof,(VetteFest),their details seem to all overlap and blur somewhat.You Overload on them.
But take any one of those cars,and show it seperately,as Dennis H. has here,and you are more able to notice it's intricate details that make it so outstanding/interesting.

For this reason I would hate to be a VetteFest or anyother Carshow Judge.They found things wrong on my Chevelle that I didn't know about,and did not see the things that I know needed attention.
My Judging sheet came back with 996,but they tookoff for menial things like Dust in Door Jambs and trunk latch.I guess they have to Draw the line somewhere.
Then award my Chevelle a Top Gun as well as Gold Spinner????

I wouldn't keep my Car home from any CarShow because of the Judges.I am not about the awards,I go to meet the friendly people and interesting oddities/facts they discuss and that show up.A Code 43 Citrus Green 1970 LS-6 Chevelle! /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

Belair62
01-04-2003, 04:48 PM
Once they do the dust in door latch and stuff like that you can pretty well be sure you have a hell of a car !!!

68 COPO II
01-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Rick-Good eye on the lift brackets. They are orange and from a small block. The back bolt hole didn't even line up with the bolts on the intake. I imagine it was used as a temporary lift to remove the engine from the 57 chevy which it was purchased out of.
BTW...I heard three of the 68 Gibb Novas have sold in the last couple of weeks. Congrats to the new owners !!!!
One will be street driven in Marietta Georgia...???

mr gasser
01-04-2003, 10:28 PM
Paragon more info email me....

mc25t190
01-05-2003, 06:15 PM
gone for the weekend , glad things turned out positive!!! bob i hear you have some nice velles. i talked to the judge on mine after he judged it when chuck owned it and he said he had to find something to deduct for because the car was so nice. the 3 points he took off were for a ding in the driveshaft i've yet, to this day, /ubbthreads/images/icons/smirk.gif to be able to find. he told me this at the supercar reunion!
what a happy ending, the way it is supposed to be! no offense taken!

Belair62
01-05-2003, 11:23 PM
Yeah thats the same thing I heard after they judged my Belair...I could have showed them a couple legit things but they dinged me for a small scratch on the top of the frame that needed a mirror to see. When the car is that nice it usually comes down to cleanliness.Vettefest judging for anything but Corvettes seem to be a little loose.It was an experience anyway...don't recall trying to offend you but glad none was taken.

Stefano
01-06-2003, 12:07 AM
All I can say is stick to Judging cars,because your judgement regarding football <font color="green">teams </font color> is questionable,at best /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

MotownMadman
01-06-2003, 12:29 AM
So Stefano, whos gonna be in the Superbowl, and the winner is.....?
Motown /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

JChlupsa
01-06-2003, 12:52 AM
Not sure who will win it but I can tell you the score of the game before it even starts!!!!

mc25t190
01-06-2003, 01:19 AM
both starting receivers out, starting running back out, 5 defensive starters out, gilbert brown down in 2 minutes into the game, we were done at kickoff, had a blast though, what else do ou do in green bay!
bob, the no offense comment was not meant for you!

SS427
01-06-2003, 01:58 AM
Dennis H,
Thanks for the kudos on the good eye but if my eyes were that good, I certainly should have noticed more importantly that they were for a small block. DAH!

Dennis C.
Ditto, I noticed that rear bracked looked goofy and should have realized the reason why!
/ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif Rick

DougArbour
10-09-2003, 08:42 PM
I have a 1969 camaro rs copo burnished brown m22 4 spd with all documentation, this car is a very nice car and highly optioned .if interested call me or e-mail me 954-941-4200 [email protected]

DougArbour
10-11-2003, 02:57 PM
I have a 69 rs camaro copo burnished brown with 36000 miles all documented ,make me an offer. doug. [email protected] or call at 954-941-4200

JoeG
10-11-2003, 03:17 PM
DougArbour,
Wish I could--seen the slide/show on this car, very impressive.She's a beauty----JoeG

DougArbour
10-11-2003, 04:20 PM
yep, this car is in very good condition with all documents, if you here of anyone looking for a real nice rs copo please put the word out on this car , this car needs a new home. and the price is flexable. doug

shor
10-11-2003, 11:40 PM
anyone know of any copo's for sale?
i would prefer burnished brown and the rs option would be nice.
low mileage would be nice also.

Charley Lillard
10-12-2003, 12:07 AM
Ha!!!! Your Killin Me Shor.........

camarojoe
10-12-2003, 12:53 AM
Shor, I THINK i might have seen one like that advertised SOMEWHERE. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

hvychev
10-12-2003, 01:37 AM
Yeah no kidding! Dude I think that everybody knows that your car is for sale by now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

MotownMadman
10-12-2003, 06:01 AM
WHATTT!!! Nobody told me! I guess I am always the last to know about everything! Kind of looks like one I had in my shop not long ago, but nah, I am in Michigan and that car is all the way in Florida...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif