PDA

View Full Version : Arrghh

Charley Lillard
01-04-2003, 01:59 PM
http://www.geocities.com/murcocompetition/Camaropage.html

mhassett
01-04-2003, 02:11 PM
Oh My GOD---ALL that Hard Work--This guy in our neighborhood is a Delivery driver for a Big Trucking Company and he is Always laughing about the things that he destroys!!! He thinks its okay as the people should have insurance. No consideration for people's time and effort. I have NEVER seen a model car being built with that much DETAIL. I hope it can be salvaged. Mark

SuperCars
01-04-2003, 02:19 PM
Not good Charlie, that stinks; UPS trashed it! I can relate. I've been getting about a 50% damage rate on stuff I've recieved from UPS. I ask shippers too try any method other than UPS if possible.

Had a Mint M22 shipped to me that was wrapped in cardboard and strapped to a small pallet. When it arrived the pallet was gone. Unwrapped the cardboard and one of the bolt ears to the bell housing was busted off. Called the UPS Claims dept. He was to come the next day. Before he shows up, I had another UPS delivery of a cardboard tube with NOS window fuzzies that said do not bend on the tube. It was bent and busted wide open, bending the window fuzzies.

The UPS claims guy shows up, and proceeds to tell me the M22 wasn't packed sufficiently as only wrapped in cardboard. I explained to him that it was on a small pallet when it left the shipper. I verified this by weighing the M22 against the shipping weight, which showed it arrived weighing 10 lbs less. He still wasn't satisfied. Then I pulled out the bent tube window fuzzies that said "do not bend on it" which had just arrived that morning. I almost had to laugh at him, then started getting mad. Instantly he changed and said they would cover everything. But you can't just go down to the corner auto store to buy these things.

Mr70
01-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Charley
As a former model builder,now Muscle car owner,that really sucks!
I hope someone will be held Responsible for that destruction.
I hope your 1969 Camaro/Truck seat comes in one piece now.

68l30
01-04-2003, 03:19 PM
That sucks!...I had UPS lose a 68 console 8 track pad from the west coast.They said to have another one shipped,What other one?...I just bought a upopened MPC Super Camaro and am having it shipped as I write this.Now I'm worried! /ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif I hope you guy's can get this resolved,this really hurts!

Steve

Mr70
01-04-2003, 04:41 PM
Steve
Take the Cellophane off the MPC Camaro once you receive it, to see if it got damaged. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

68l30
01-04-2003, 06:23 PM
I'm happy as long as the box looks good! It is awful tempting to open though.....I had a mint NOS 792 kit I had to open up.No longer new,but damn worth it. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Steve

Norm reynolds
01-04-2003, 11:40 PM
Charley sorry to see what happen. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif Ups is the worse. The reason things like this happens is that they treat their employees like dirt.
All they worried about is stop times how marry stops per hour a driver does and god forgive if the driver is off one stop. Ever notice that a ups truck all ways double park when there is a parking space big enough to park a tractor trailer ? ups mangers figured out that it takes 20-40sec to park it in that space , heck a driver can not go to the bathroom on the clock they have to carry a bottle with them
Drivers are all ways under the gun so they end up pised off they do not care what happens to your package as long as they make their stop times. And air freight is worse I know been there I have seen if some thing is to heavy when unloading the plane for one person they just push it out of the plane and drop 30-40 feet on to the ramp and if it breaks oh well When you have do not bend or fragile on the package they WILL throw it, bend it and run over it Why because they are pised off and it is their way getting even with their knuckle headed managers have seen windshields that came out of the hub placed on the bottom of a container and then the rest of the freight put on top. and it is getting much worse. I know I worked for DHL for15 years ( now retried ) They were strictly air freight and they are no better Kevin I have found that if you have some thing like a transmission to ship DO NOT ship with UPS, DHL or FED -X they are only good to send a document There is 50/50 chance it will get there and 50/50 chance it will get there in good condition
I have found that there are many good trucking companies out there that can do a good job. Charley as far as your model you will never get it in the ups clams guys head of all the hours it took to build HE DONĂT CARE he is just a company weasel I would really give ups HELL /ubbthreads/images/icons/mad.gif . I found that the only thing that will upset them is bad publicity Tell them you will call 60mins or 20/20 they donĂt like bad publicity

djunod
01-05-2003, 01:14 AM
I have absolutely never had a problem with FedEx boxes.

Very high percentage of problems with UPS.

I recently had an AirBorne lady sit a box in water puddle because I didn't come out to the truck to get it from her.

Anyway, that model was extremely Awesome looking!!! How badly was it damaged? Are you going to send it back to him to have him try to do it over?

Belair62
01-05-2003, 01:16 AM
I have never had a problem with Airborne...I better knock on wood...

Charley Lillard
01-05-2003, 01:19 AM
He says it is a Total loss.... I'm stupid though and think that even what gets patched back together is better than another 2 years work. The windshield was in the back seat. the leaf springs are broken in two. Radio antenna isn't broken though. The amount of parts that were made for that engine is amazing. The pulleys are machined. UPS was supposed to pick it up Thursday but they never showed. They want to send it back since it is supposed to be a Total loss but I don't think I'm gonna let them take it. I need a really good Model builder out here.

Belair62
01-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Charley was that thing packed like it could have withstood some abuse ? It looks like someone just kept whipping it to the ground to do all that damage.It couldn't have just been dropped....was it in the case or loose ?

Charley Lillard
01-05-2003, 02:52 AM
The package shown in the pic was in a larger box encloded in Bubble wrap. The larger box is OK but somebody had to really abuse it on purpose to do this much damage. He wrote "Extremely Fragile" on the outside. They probably Loved reading that and went from there. I usually have had good luck with shipping.

JChlupsa
01-05-2003, 03:02 AM
Charley that sucks that it came delivered so messed up. I have some HAZ Waste/Radioactive/Mercury/and other Hazardous shipping labels if you would like to use them when another one gets shipped out your way.

Norm reynolds
01-05-2003, 03:33 AM
Jeff The problem with the haz mat stickers is if it goes as air freight
The FAA will not allow it to be shipped and most freight companies
Will not accept any hazardous material any more I know DHL didnt
I have seen packages come in with a gage built in to show if the package
Was tilted or dropped when they came in it was a field day I caught a
Guy backing a fork truck in to one on purpose his answer was I wanted to see if it
Really worked /ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif

ORIGLS6
01-05-2003, 04:25 AM
Charley,
I agree with you, I would like to see this one salvaged. The work in this car is incredible. Like Rick, I have been building models for years but have never seen anything to compare to this. It appears to be 1:24 scale? I'm working with the 1:18 diecast cars now and couldn't come close to that detail even in the larger scale. At 1:24, it's remarkable!
I had a similar experience with a T-10 transmission I bought from someone in Minnesota. UPS "mis-handled" it to the point of breaking both ears off the left side of the main case. One of them didn't even make the entire trip. I got the same story; inadequate packaging. BS! It's been over a year and I haven't seen a dime from them. All I was after was a reimbursement for the repairs; about $80. I now use Fed Ex for shipping. They've lost more than their $80 this past year.

JChlupsa
01-05-2003, 05:25 AM
Was only kidding on the shipping labels, But your right most stuff with lebeled like that cant go by air. We had a heck of a time shipping Hydrazine by air with FedEX a year ago but will all the correct Federal Paperwork it finally went. I only put the shipping labels out there meaning thats how they should have handled items when they get shipped. I know we use some special shipping boxes when it comes to circit boards and sensitive aircraft items and they work very well. I sent LVCAMARO an item in a small version of the box and all. Charley if you go for another model let me know the size box and the size of the model and Ill send you a box and you can decided if you want it shipped to you in that or even ship it back for repairs in it and they can send it back to you in the same box.

MotownMadman
Charlie, I sell and buy a lot of stuff on Ebay and in the past had problems with UPS. most small items I use Postal Service Priority Mail and have yet to have a bad experience. As for large items such as Crates that would be oversize for UPS or Postal, instead of using expensive truck freight I have had excellent luck with shipping items Greyhound Freight. It means you have to pick it up at the terminal and the shipper has to drop it off, but it is very reasonable(I shipped an 80 pound crate today, 2ft x 2ft x 5ft) cross country and it was $53.00 insured. The item will normally only be handled once, sometimes twice, and usually takes only one day, two at the most all the way cross country. They have never turned down anything for being too large or too heavy and have never had anything damaged or lost. Works great for car parts, Transmissions, doors, fenders, etc. Too bad about the ZL-1, in the future try Priority Mail or Fed-X for the small items. Motown /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

JChlupsa
Was only kidding on the shipping labels, But your right most stuff with lebeled like that cant go by air. We had a heck of a time shipping Hydrazine by air with FedEX a year ago but will all the correct Federal Paperwork it finally went. I only put the shipping labels out there meaning thats how they should have handled items when they get shipped. I know we use some special shipping boxes when it comes to circit boards and sensitive aircraft items and they work very well. I sent LVCAMARO an item in a small version of the box and all.

Charley if you go for another model let me know the size box and the size of the model and Ill send you a box and you can decided if you want it shipped to you in that or even ship it back for repairs in it and they can send it back to you in the same box.

Chevy454
01-05-2003, 03:31 PM
Motown:

Got any contact info for Greyhound (like web site)? I did a quick search, and came up empty. We've got some stuff that needs to go a good distance.

JChlupsa
01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
http://www.greyhound.com/

when you go to Greyhound express for shipping you will notice they also have teamed up with UPS for some of the shipping areas

55chevy
01-05-2003, 06:28 PM
Don't let them take it Charley!! UPS graciously destroyed a Microwave Oven I owned that I had sent to me. They wanted to take it and I refused to let them. They still covered the cost of it after I about blew a gasket over the phone to the UPS supervisor person. Just curious what the model that took 2 years to build cost and are you still looking for a good model builder? Email me if you want.
Ed

Charley Lillard
01-05-2003, 07:12 PM
It was insured for 1000.00

Norm reynolds
01-05-2003, 08:17 PM
A 1000 dollars is peanuts if you figure out the hours it took to build
Its not like ok seed me another one /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif This was one of a kind /ubbthreads/images/icons/mad.gif

SS427
01-06-2003, 01:47 AM
Charley,
sorry to see/hear of your situation. I have been using UPS for years and ship several packages per day. I continually have problems commercialy but rarely do on my home deliveries. As told by a UPS rep, the worst thing you can do is put fragile stickers on a box.

I have to agree on the $1000 cost. I have built model cars for years and used to belong to IPMS and can tell you they can be very little different than doing a full size car. They can take almost as much time. Based on the photos I saw, $1000 was cheap! Good luck.
Rick

55chevy
01-06-2003, 06:15 AM
That sounds about right. I was just wondering since I also build models and go into that kind of detail. I have yet to sell any of mine though. Seems when you put alot into something like that it gets a sense of sentimental value and it's hard to sell a part of yourself. Here is a pic of one I did about 12 years ago. It's held up nicely over the years of being moved place to place.. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif I'm sure you'll all recognise the car.

djunod
01-06-2003, 12:18 PM
If you want to print license plates for your model, here (http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/licensemaker.cgi?text=&state=Georgia&r=1577911788) is a easy way to do it.

TimG
01-06-2003, 02:09 PM
Sorry to see the damage, Charlie. I loaded trucks for UPS when I was in school and the abuse was amazing. Boxes just get tossed on top of boxes. People would often ship floresent bulbs and you could hear them pop as boxes were piled on top of each other.

Jeff H
01-06-2003, 04:29 PM
That sucks! I just had a Porsche 944 intercooler damaged by UPS and I'm trying to get that settled right now. Someone must have dropped it from at least a 4-5' height onto the edge of a truck, loading dock or steps. It has a huge dent on the edge and it looks like it split open. They also removed some of the hoses and clamps when they investigated it and never put them back in so I'm definitely getting some money out of them. There's something seriously wrong with UPS right now the way they've been handling packages. I've had stuff damaged by all the shippers so I won't stick up for any of them.

Norm reynolds
01-06-2003, 05:45 PM
Hi David thatĂs pretty neat I made one up but it is way to big to put on
1 1/8 die cast how do you shrink it /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif When I printed it it can out 1x2 in

MotownMadman
01-06-2003, 05:48 PM
Chevy 454, go to: www.shipgreyhound.com (http://www.shipgreyhound.com)
Motown.

Norm reynolds
01-06-2003, 06:19 PM
Jeff
You would have to see what goes on down the ramp to believe it
What a circus You will never see so many people pist off other than at ups Had a ups
Manager once tell me he loves to make his employees lifeĂs a living hell /ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif
I could write a book on the things I have seen and it would be hard to believe
Of what goes on /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

djunod
01-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Use a paint program to resize it to the size you need. I would just make a bunch of different sizes on a page and then print it out. If you need help with it, I can easily make such a page for you.

[email protected]