PDA

View Full Version : SCR 6

sYc
01-10-2003, 07:42 PM
For the past several weeks, we here at the sYc have been very busy working on the 2003 reunion. We have addded a couple of features that should allow for SCR to become even more special.

First of all, because of scheduling conflicts, and not to tie up all of Labor Day weekend, we have moved the event back a day. Here is a tentative schedule.

Thursday, August 28th, early arrivals gathering in hotel lot, plus guest speaker(s) and memorabilia display(s).

Friday, Aguust 29, 8am-3pm, we have reserved the Gateway International Raceway dragstrip for our use only. Track time will be reserved for supercars plus a limited number of "special interest" musclecars. Hopefully all supercars will participate, if not racing, at least displaying and in the "Parade of Supercars" down the 1/4 track. We hope to get a picture of each car at the "christmas tree". More details will be forth coming.

Friday evening. Move supercars into Gateway Center, special guest speaker(s).

Saturday, August 30, 9am-6pm. Indoor show plus outdoor musclecar corral.

Now, to the money part. By renting the track and moving in early, the budget for the reunion has more then tripled. We can make some of it on increased entry fees, but would welcome any other out side help. If you and/or your company, or you know of someone who would like to be part of SCR6, fell free to contact the sYc. You can either contribute a certain amount of $$$ or you can agree to sponsor a certain part of the reunion, We have set up a special account which will only be used for reunion related activities. The more $$ we get, the more we can offer at SCR6. Anyone who contributes will be listed as a "Friend of the Supercar Reunion" on the webpage and information pertaining to the event. We have already had a couple of generous contributions, which are most welcome. Thanks; Tom

shor
01-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Tom, check payable to.......?

sYc
01-10-2003, 10:46 PM
Yenko Sportscar Club, C/O Tom Clary POB 375 Alton, MO 65606, Thanks!

mhassett
01-11-2003, 04:09 AM
Tom, Count me in as a Friend of the SuperCar Reunion. Mark /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

sYc
01-11-2003, 02:55 PM
Thanks Mark; Would love to see your Blue "beast" make a pass or two. I fell in love with it at SCR5. Tom

Stefano
01-12-2003, 01:54 AM
I too would like to see one (or several) of the Motion Beasts make the trek down the 1/4 mile. I have heard that if they don't run the number Joel will be happy to refund the original purchase price /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif even without one of his drivers /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

JChlupsa
01-12-2003, 02:16 AM
If I were Joel I would still refund the purchase price if they ran the stated times or not, as long as i got the car back :P

sYc
01-12-2003, 06:48 PM
At SCR1, the first pairing included a B-M Camaro. It was Bill Ogle's, who raced Brian Henderson in his Yenko Camaro. Both cars were Fathom Green with Black stripes. Other highlights at SCR1 included Cliff Ernst in his modified (just for the event) Yenko Camaro, Ray Morrison in his Gibb/Harrell Nova, Mark Kickle in his Yenko Camaro, smoking the tires in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. And do not forget the Stingers starting their burnouts up against the fence.

SCR2's racing was rained out.

SCR3 saw the first ZL-1 make a pass, with Mark Hassett at the wheel. In addition, Mike Riley racing his '69 Berger Camaro and Greg Snap sideways in his '67 Yenko.

SCR4, we got to see Herb Fox reunited with Lil Hoss, Mark in his ZL-1 out running the clone car and Mo in the only Turbo Z to race.

SCR5 saw Ken Barnhart racing his original ZL-1 racecar, a couple of original owners, Gary Crawford and Bill Hunter, racing their Yenko Camaros, Charley in his new GMMG Camaro.

These are only a few of the many highlights from past reunions. For anyone who has never been a part of the racing program at a SCR, DO NOT miss SCR6. I guarantee you will have a blast. Jusk ask any of the many owners who have participated in the past.

L78Impala
01-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Hey Rob, Have you ever thought about getting the Factory Stock / F.A.S.T. guys out to race with you at this event?

Just a question...no harm meant.

Bill

Chevy454
01-13-2003, 12:40 PM
Bill:

Actually, yeah we have thought about that, but the Reunion is almost always the week before or at the most 2 weeks before the Pure Stock Drags in Stanton. I know we could never compete with Dan/Bob's event, and I would never want to, because I have to get our car ready for THEIR event! I just don't see many racers traveling to a "stock" event in back-to-back weekends. But they might... /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

L78Impala
01-13-2003, 02:38 PM
It was just a thought.

It would be real cool to see all of those good looking factory cars at the same place you find the worlds best super cars. WOW, what a show that would be.
Plus, with a larger group of racers... that might help defray the cost of the event.

OK, well I will go back in my hole now. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smirk.gif

Bill

Chevy454
01-15-2003, 08:37 PM
Bill:

I totally agree that it would make for a GREAT event, but the date really hurts the deal...it's just too close. I would NEVER want to compete with the Pure Stock Drags, because I consider Bob/Dan good friends. I think we might get a few cars from the west that won't travel to Stanton, but the majority of the racers seem to be in the north/east and would go to Stanton. And, a larger group of racers would help, just as long as a Chevy comes out on top!

Belair62
01-15-2003, 09:04 PM
Thats easy Rob....just line them up against MoPars ! (how long before this one gets responded to!) 1....2.....3....4

sYc
01-21-2003, 07:05 PM
Thus far, "Friends of the Supercar Reunion" include: Sandlin Lumber (LVCamaro), Darren Costello (DarrenX33 and (Shor), plus committments from a couple of others.

This has been a big help, as it has helped us more forward in our goal of making/keeping the reuion the #1 supercar show. If others would like to contribute, please do. The more we get, the more "extras" we can provide.

Because of the support we have received, we have gone ahead and signed the contract with Gateway International. We will have the track for oursleves on Friday, 8:00am-3:00pm. I hope ALL supercar owners will take advantage of this rare opportunity to enjoy their supercar in the safest way possible.

sYc
01-23-2003, 02:54 PM
Other "Friends of the Reunion" include; Hassett Roofing (MHassett), Marlin Spotts (Yenko Deuce Registry) and Brian(BKH) and Joe at the Supercar Workshop. Thanks!!

sixtiesmuscle
01-23-2003, 03:04 PM
Tom, maybe I missed it, but, what is the amount you're looking for to be a "friend of the reunion"?

NWYENKO
01-23-2003, 03:53 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I told the keeper of the checkbook (known also as the "current spouse") that we would send a "little" something. She reminded me of the $600 fuel costs not to mention the 8 days on the road to get to and from the reunion! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif Jim

sYc
01-23-2003, 04:49 PM
There is no set amount, as I realize that everyones financial situation is different, so I am leaving the amount up to the giver. Thus far, I have recieved donations ranging from $50.00 to $1000+. But, to keep from sliding anyone, I am simply listing everyone the same "Friend of the Reunion". So far, all contributors have not had a problem with this. All contributions will go into a fund that will only be used for reunion related activities. If there is a surplus, it will carry over to SCR7.

In the past, I have not needed to do this, but this year, in order to try and improve on the reunion, I have added some extras, which require more $$$. Such as the race track $4500.00, moving in early on FRI ($950.00) and as always, the expense of having guests at the events, plus a couple of other things if I can pull it off. Of course, some of this can be handled by a larger entry fee, but more was needed. Tom

NWYENKO
01-23-2003, 04:52 PM
Check is in the mail!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif Jim

sYc
01-28-2003, 07:07 PM
"Friends of the Reunion" include: Sandlin Lumber (Steve), Shor, Darren Costello, Hassett Roofing(Mark and Ginny), Supercar Workshop(Brian and Joe), Yenko Deuce Registry (Marlin) and Jim and LaDonna Hughes. Thanks!!!

To make things a little easier on everyone, I have made arrrangements with the Gateway Center to move in on Friday evening. This will make it easier for the support staff and will allow the "night owls" to sleep in a little later on Saturday morning.

I know some of you out there would like to go ahead and register, but as you will see, there is not an entry form posted for SCR6. That is because I am still working on it. Hopefully I can get one up soon. In the mean time, anyone who would like to pre-register may do so by dropping us a line. We will be glad to keep everyone posted. So far we have Jim and LaDonna with this month's feature car, Brian and Joe with a trio of Lemans Blue cars and just yesterday received word that Bill Porterfield will be bringing his ZL-1, the #1 Gibb/Harrell car.

sYc
01-30-2003, 06:59 PM
Back by popular demand will be a banquet during SCR6, complete with guest speaker(s). Most likely Friday night, after the supercars are moved into the Gateway Center.

Add 3 more cars to the pre-register list, all belonging to LVCAMARO. All are 1969 Camaros, Daytona Yellow Yenko, Dusk Blue ZL-1 and Azure Turquoise COPO.

JChlupsa
01-30-2003, 07:30 PM
what no 2002 ZL1 !! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

LVCamaro
01-31-2003, 12:33 AM
Not sure if #15 will be done by then. Belk and Lillard and Joiner and Stefano and Hand and Suydam keep crowding the front of the line! /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Charley Lillard
01-31-2003, 12:56 AM
I don't think a 2002 ZL1 Supercar will be let in anyway. I think mine was snuck in last year and has been erased from History.

sYc
01-31-2003, 02:17 AM
Actually, ALL GMMG modified cars, including the 2002 ZL-1 Camaros, are welcome and encouraged to attend, including drag racing, cruise and show. They are governed by rule #4, or as we here at the sYc call it, the "Charley" rule /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif . Anyone who is displaying a 1969 ZL-1 Camaro may display their matching 2002 ZL-1 Camaro along side.

The remaining GMMG cars, (ZL-1s, Berger, Hot Rod, etc,) in attendance will be part of the outdoor "Musclecar Showcase", with reserved parking directly in front of the Gateway Center. Tom

sYc
01-31-2003, 02:44 AM
In the past, I have been asked to open up the reunion to other musclecars. Old and new. Well, this is your chance. This year we are going to reserve the area directly in front of the Gateway Center for other musclecars, old and new, any make. And, unlike in the past, where most folks entered through the back door, this year everyone will be entering the center through the front doors. This will be known as the SCR6 Musclecar Showcase. Each car will recieve a special SCR6 dash plaque.

Also, on Friday, we have reserved Gateway International Raceway for drag racing. Even though the event is open to the public, with all musclecars encouraged to come and be part of the activities, with reserved parking for musclecars, the number of cars allowed to race will be limited. Of course all Supercars are encouraged to participate in the racing, but we are going to allow a limited number number of other cars of "special interest" to race as well. Such as non-supercars (LS-6, Z-28) sold by one of the supercar dealers, era race cars not sponsored by a supercar dealer, GMMG modified cars, etc.

Feel free to contact the sYc for more information. Tom

ORIGLS6
01-31-2003, 04:44 AM
/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Charley Lillard
01-31-2003, 05:08 AM
Ha !!! Thank you Tom for letting them in and actually calling them ZL1's.................I think they are technically now called ZL1 Supercars......

JChlupsa
01-31-2003, 05:46 AM
but should it not be allowed under Rule #3 /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Mr70
01-31-2003, 02:08 PM
Dennis me too.. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Chevy454
01-31-2003, 02:51 PM
More entries added today:

3 cars from the Supercar Workshop; Joe Swezey's Harrell Camaro, David Lowe's Yenko Camaro, and Frank Arone's COPO Camaro. All are Le Mans blue cars!

Also, Pat Joiner is bringing his COPO Chevelle.

So far, so good!

NWYENKO
01-31-2003, 03:00 PM
Is Brian still in charge of Thurs night refreshments?? I can bring a case or 2 of NW microbrew stuff if anyone would be interested!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif Jim

Stefano
01-31-2003, 04:03 PM
/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

sYc
01-31-2003, 04:39 PM
Jim; I am sure Brian and Joe would not mind some extra "brew".

With the the reunion being held in the heart of Busch/Bud country, Brian and Joe bringing the Rolling Rock from the NE, you bringing something brewed in the NW, if we could get someone from the SE (Jude, Kevin?) and SW (?) to pitch in, we could advertise the Thursday get together as our "brew sampling" event. Heck, with this gang, Thursday might draw better then the show on Saturday. And, get Jungle Pam or Miss Hurst /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif as the special guest, this thing could be HUGE. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Jeff Murphy
01-31-2003, 04:53 PM
I'll see if I can bring some English ale or stout. Might be tough to get through customs in appropriate quantities.

Maybe we can get Pete Simpson to haul some Molson, Labatt or Moosehead.

NWYENKO
01-31-2003, 05:20 PM
Sounds like an excuse for a bigger trailer!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif Jim

JChlupsa
01-31-2003, 06:55 PM
Could always get some San Migual Beer from Asia there. The stuff is like 12%

sYc
01-31-2003, 06:56 PM
If we can coax Copo Pete and JJ to attend, Canadian brews would not be a problem. They seem to have some sort of deal worked out with customs. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

NWYENKO
02-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Is there a cruise planned? It sounds like the one to the local Chev dealer was good last year. What about Sat evening as cars move out of the center? /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif Jim

sYc
02-08-2003, 07:53 PM
Jim; Yes, the cruise last year was indeed a blast, at least for everyone but me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I was worried the whole time that something would happen to one of the cars, as we traveled several miles, through alot of traffic. Most likely we will have some sort of cruise this year, but on a smaller scale. Even though I think the cruise helps make the reunion what it is, it is one of my biggest concerns. I am afraid to think what would happen to the reunion if there were an incident involving one of the supercars. That is why I went to the trouble to rent Gateway. That way, we can still enjoy the cars, but in a controlled invironment. Once I know for certain, I will let weveryone know.

As per Saturday night, I am not for sure. I am still trying to put together a schedule. My thoughts at this point is to not schedule anything, but just allow anyone who wants to head home to do so and the ones who stay get together if they want. Being Labor day weekend, I realize that some people will want to get home to spend time with their families. I am hoping that most people will arrive on Thursday for the get together that evening, and so we can have a good turnout at the track on Friday.

sYc
02-08-2003, 08:01 PM
Here is an updated list of "Friends of the Reunion". Thanks everyone. It is much appreciated.

Sandlin Lumber, Shor, Darren Costello, Hassett Lumber, Yenko Deuce Registry, Supercar Workshop, Jim and LaDonna Hughes, Kevin Hand, Jeff Latondress, Bob and Larry Adcock, Jeff Murphy.

RonNova396L34
02-14-2003, 06:58 PM
Could someone e-mail me some more information on this show as to exactly where it is at or leave me a PM? I only have one weekend off a month so I have to plan things way out in advance. I may try to bring my 70 for the outside gathering of cars. Thanks,
Ron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

Chevy454
02-14-2003, 07:17 PM
http://www.yenko.net/reunion/2003reunion.htm

RonNova396L34
02-14-2003, 08:05 PM
Rob,
Thanks for the info. It is kind of confusing because it lists under the reunion site that it is for the 2002 supercar reunion. I think when I originally read that, I was unsure where it was at this year.
Ron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JChlupsa
02-14-2003, 08:13 PM
Rob the next paragraph under the 2003 Reunion title shows 2002 not 2003??? In the block that states Reunion site

Chevy454
02-14-2003, 08:29 PM
Nice...the ole "cut and paste" got me in trouble! Should be fixed now.

JChlupsa
02-14-2003, 08:34 PM
I tried to cut and paste the paragraph into my post but it wouldnt let me

Chevy454
02-15-2003, 04:24 PM
I added a couple more names to the Reunion list this morning:

Kevin Hand - 1969 Yenko Chevelle

James Shockley - 1969 Yenko Camaro

BBIGG BLOCK 396
02-18-2003, 06:02 AM
What about (secure) parking if you drive a classic car to the show,is there any security provided at the show or any of the hotels for classics that are driven.I am trying to talk my wife to going and drive my chevelle but just can't keep it parked just anywhere.

Bobby

sYc
02-18-2003, 02:42 PM
On Saturday, for the outdoor musclecar show, I have rented/reserved a large section of the Gateway Center's parking lot for our use only. My original plans were to do it out front, but was limited by space, so instead I rented the majority of the space directly behind the center, which we have used in the past. To insure that everyone has the opportunity to see all of the cars, both inside and out, entry to the center (where the supercars will be displayed) will be from the rear.

For the rest of the time, I can only speak for the host hotel, the Holiday Inn. They do have a security person around, but in the past, this has been handled by members of our group, who look out for each other. Between the night owls and early risers, there is usually someone from our group out in the lot. I have left my Yenko outdoors over night (not in trailer), and know several others who have done the same. This is not to say something could not happen, but in 5 years, I know of no incidents. As heated as it may get on this board, when you get them all together, they will, and, do look out for each other and their cars.

NWYENKO
02-18-2003, 02:52 PM
Possibly each person staying at the hotel could pull a 1 or 2 hour guard duty late night to early morning. I would be more than willing to volunteer. On the other hand maybe I could get the "current spouse" to take my turn!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Jim

sYc
02-18-2003, 07:07 PM
Jim; I will not mention names /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif but there is a group from the great state of Iowa that sets up camp in the parking lot and does a good job of keeping an eye on things. I am not for sure if they ever sleep. I guess it has to do with the high carbo diet they are on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif.

NWYENKO
02-18-2003, 07:37 PM
So, if I tell LaDonna that I have to stay in the parking lot to provide security no will mention the Iowa Gang. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Jim

Seattle Sam
02-18-2003, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure I can make it to the reunion, but I would definitely like to show up for parking lot duty!
Owners should probably leave their keys with the lot guard in case any cars need to be "moved" in the middle of the night.....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif
-Sam

moparts
02-18-2003, 09:09 PM
O-O-O I know let's have a squared circle set up at the next reunion. Minor differences can be settled by a wrestling match (we know that stuff is all fake anyway) and major one's can be settled (let's say bare nuckles) a more manley way. All supercar keys to be held by the guy who parks the cars. By the way due to my insurance restrictions I get to park all the cars in the building this year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

sYc
02-18-2003, 11:08 PM
"I get to park all the cars in the building this year. "

Isn't that all your union card says you are qualified to do? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

moparts
02-19-2003, 12:45 PM
Uhhhhh Not too bad at working on them if I do say so myself. By the way that remark just doubled the hourly wage! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif What am I up to now a 20 oz 7 up and hour?

Chevy454
03-03-2003, 02:57 PM
I added 2 more cars to the list, and both of them are '68 Gibb COPO Novas! Jude Hettick and Matt Murphy will be bringing a pair from down south...do I hear "match race"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chevy454
03-04-2003, 03:15 PM
I added Vaughn Bright and his hugger orange COPO Camaro to the list today.

Chevy454
03-04-2003, 06:02 PM
Also, Jeff Latondress and his 1970 Yenko Deuce will be making the trip!

COPO PETE
03-04-2003, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If we can coax Copo Pete and JJ to attend, Canadian brews would not be a problem. They seem to have some sort of deal worked out with customs.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I should come, how many trailers full would you be requiring????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif
Peter

AMCA
03-06-2003, 07:17 AM
I Like the date this year! Looks like I may actually get to attend this reunion!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gifJeff Gaddie

82z96ss
04-02-2003, 09:08 PM
I was thinking about making the trip this year, I was wondering if the 02 ZL1's would be allowed to drag race or are they part of the 1st come 1st serve of the non era supercars.

sYc
04-03-2003, 04:16 PM
The 2002s are more then welcome, including drag racing. Would be neat to see some of them do their thing on the track. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif Tom