PDA

View Full Version : 1969 396/375 nova

mr gasser
01-12-2003, 03:36 AM
Wanted restored 69 nova ss 396/375 4spd. email

Belair62
01-12-2003, 04:49 AM
Legendary has a documented 350 horse Cortez silver survivor Nova (http://www.legendarymotorcar.com/inventory/images/cars/69nova_01.jpg) And check the one out here...automatic but... Survivor (http://www.classicauto-sales.com/)

L78Impala
01-12-2003, 05:51 AM
Do you like apples????.....How do you like them apples?? /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/3/1/1343231.htm

01-12-2003, 06:26 AM
Dom, the best one that could possibly be bought is ROWDYRATS. Henerson restored it, it is flawless. I am sure Marlin won't mind me saying that either /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif Hands down nicest one I've ever seen. Don't know if it is for sale, or if he still owns it, but worth checking out.

RonNova396L34
01-12-2003, 09:54 AM
L78Impala
Not to be picky but that link was a 70 L78. Myself and another Nova guy had a discussion on changes that should be made with that car to make it more correct. Nice looking car though. I think it's been listed for a while.
Ron /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

RonNova396L34
01-12-2003, 11:24 AM
Belair62,
I saw they're advertising the 70 was equipped with a 4.11 posi. Look closely at the rear end code on the protecto plate for the 70. Sure looks like CBT which is 3.55 posi. Can't tell in the picture but where is the fan shroud?
Ron /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

mr gasser
01-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Does anyone know if this is real car? I think dealer is in alsip, ill.

Belair62
01-12-2003, 03:17 PM
Looks like a rubber flap of some type for the shroud!!! Mr Gasser I think that was Franky Anselmo selling the car in Alsip...think you are related.

RonNova396L34
01-12-2003, 07:14 PM
The BB cars have that flap which goes over the radiator but the fan shroud should be mounted over the top of that flap. I can't see it in the picture. Maybe it is just missing? I also didn't see the mounting bracket for this fan shroud. I'd also make sure that special 5 blade fan is there. They are extremely hard to find now. Also watch for the TCS equipment on the intake and firewall wiring gutter on 70 cars!
Ron /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

L78Impala
01-12-2003, 07:19 PM
Ron,
ya I know it's a 70...I thought I would try to slide it by. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

One question. I'm a dumb big car guy and don't know Novas very well /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif ...can you tell me what needs to be corrected on that blue car and what value does it have the way it sits? I know, I know...that was more than one question.
I have one more. If a car similar in quality to the blue had a CE block, how much would that change the value of the car?

Thanks,
Bill

RonNova396L34
01-12-2003, 07:56 PM
Bill,
If I remember correctly the CE code you referred to is a replacement block? I think that would affect the total value of the car. If I was spending that kind of money, I'd want the real deal, correct matching numbers block, tranny, rear and that it was also dated correctly. If I remember correctly, the Shadow Grey 70 Nova L78 NNN giveaway car was listed about a year or two ago for around 24k to 25k and I think it was bought and relisted again. I think this car is overpriced and I think it has been for sale a while.
The things I would fix or watch out for? The spare tire seems non-original. Maybe it is just the picture. The jack is not painted correctly. It should be plated like the booster and it should be gray, not black. That is what my unrestored is. The handle for removing the lugs is black though. I didn't see the jacking instructions on the trunk lid. The control arm on the driver's side in the engine pictures appears to be left bare steel. I believe they would be black like the frame. The TCS is mounted on the firewall. It should be mounted on the wiring gutter. The heater hoses should be ribbed hoses. I'd check the valve covers to see if they're repros. Originals should have lots of dimples on them. Also check the air cleaner lid. There's differences in the dip by the wing nut on repros. I also wonder about the side post battery. I know of 3 original cars now that had side post battery with the ground mounted to the engine instead of on the alternator bracket. I think that is still a debated issue though right SS427? There may be others.

L78Impala
01-12-2003, 08:13 PM
Ron
WOW! Great info.

Thanks for the education. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Bill

RonNova396L34
01-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Mr. Gasser,
If you're referring to the white unrestored car. The protecto plate looks like it is an original L78 auto car according to the CTY code. I'd check the numbers on the engine, trans, rear though. I have pictures of my stampings and what the 5 blade fan looks like if you need to see those items. The last issue of NNN had a great front view of my car withouth the fenders or radiator support on. Just the engine mounted in the frame on the car. Maybe Marlin or somebody else like Allen or Chevy114270 could post those pictures from NNN. You have my permission.

mr gasser
01-12-2003, 09:58 PM
Thanks Ron I was refering to blue car at midwest car exchange. Neet car you have seen article. /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

JBB
01-13-2003, 02:31 AM
Hi Dom. I have some pictures of the "CX" TH400 casing that show that it is different from a standard TH400. Great to notice if there is a tag job done on the TH "CX". I also have some pictures of the external speedo reducer that was used with a CX or CY TH400 that used a 4.10 or larger gear ratio. This info comes from a man who was there during the days of these cars, and has been rebuilding transmissions from the early 60's. I can't post the pictures because they are to large, and I want you to see the detail.......Joel

shor
01-13-2003, 03:31 AM
ask, and you shall receive http://www.yenko.net/attachments/29388-joel%20thm400.jpg

shor
01-13-2003, 03:35 AM
. http://www.yenko.net/attachments/29389-joel%20tag.jpg

shor
01-13-2003, 03:45 AM
tough camera angle http://www.yenko.net/attachments/29391-cx%20tag.jpg

RonNova396L34
01-13-2003, 08:33 AM
Mr. Gasser,
Have you tried tracking down the NNN Shadow Gray giveaway car? I heard that car scored very high at shows. The engine in that car is not the original but everything on that car is dated correctly. Are you specifically looking for a 69 L78 or will any 68-70 L78 work? Sounds like you're looking for top restored cars? Are you looking for original drivetrain and or dated correctly? I guess I already gave my opinion on the blue car. Color preference?
Have you tried contacting Wayne at NNN. He usually knows of any for sale.
BTW On Hemmings right now, there are 3 other L78 cars. A black 69 SS 4 speed, a blue 69 SS 4 speed and a gold 70 SS 4 speed. Can somebody do that link thing for those cars? I don't know how.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-13-2003, 01:13 PM
Dom;
Belky is correct, the '69 Dusk Blue L78, 4sp, 3.55Posi, Nova that Henderson restored for Stan is probably the best car in the country - I'm not a diamond judge though /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif I have seen the car on several occasions, it is nicely optioned, orig. drivetrain, impeccably restored, you will not be dissappointed!!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-13-2003, 01:14 PM
Here's a pic.

Nova Research Project
01-13-2003, 05:41 PM
Ron,

I wouldn't be to sure about the firewall mounted TCS. I think /ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif that there was a change that mounted the TCS to firewall for a time. I do not have my info here, but will follow up on it.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-13-2003, 09:52 PM
I checked out that white L78 Nova link in the previous post, that car really looks good! The only thing I could see that needed immediate attention was the holes in the muffler, nothing a Gardner system couldn't fix - and nobody would be able to tell. I think that car is one of the best survivor L78's I've seen, the paperwork is excellent, I thought I saw a rear sway bar under there??

RonNova396L34
01-13-2003, 10:26 PM
Marlin,
Did you look at the protecto plate? What is your theory. Do you think maybe they're unsure of the gearing on the rear or that's what is in there now? Code is for 3.55. I don't recall what the 4.11 or 4.10 code is. The fan shroud is no big deal and I think the shroud bracket can be found. I haven't seen the reproduction to see how correct it is. I'd like to see this car in person to check on rims codes and dates and other small details to make sure the car is what it says it is. Just expressing my opinions. Who wouldn't like to have low mile L78 parked in their garage.
Ron

MotownMadman
01-13-2003, 10:50 PM
Marlin, The wheels on the Nova in that picture, are those 14's or 15's? I have a complete set of those with SS caps but I think mine are 14's, what would they have came on? Anyway, I have a nice set with rings if anyone needs them.
Thanks,
Motown /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

mr gasser
01-13-2003, 10:56 PM
Marlin does blue car have any doc,s protecto plate, build sheet????

mc25t190
01-14-2003, 12:18 AM
i've judged that car unofficially /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif just by the pictures and heresay, not diamond of course, just by the posted photos, its georgeous! i hope i'm not qualifying my official judging status, just kidding of course /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Belair62
01-14-2003, 12:55 AM
Stefano....please speak to Kevin about proper judging terms or he will be banished to Wisconsin.

Chevy454
01-14-2003, 07:00 PM
GREAT picture, Marlin! I noticed that car has white-line tires, and I believe your Deuce does as well. I'm trying to convince dad to go with white-lines on our Nova, but he keeps saying red-lines. It sounds natural to me: Le Mans blue car, white Yenko stripes, steel wheels, and white line tires! But, the original spare is a redline, so dad says the others will be too! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif Oh well...

jus4funn68
01-31-2003, 03:32 PM
Not trying to beat up on the beautiful White Nova, but doesnt the POP have a P0??? transmission code making that a muncie instead of a TH400?
------------------------------------------------------------
68SS 396/375 L-78 Camaro

427rcode
01-11-2004, 05:29 AM
I HAD WAYNE AT NNN FLY OUT TO LOOK AT THE BLUE L78 AS WELL AS THE BROWN ONE AND THE 70 FATHOM BLUE CAR LAST MONTH AND HE TOLD ME TO PASS ON ALL THREE. THE GRAY ONE WITH THE CE MOTOR IS GORGEOUS AND HEADED FOR BARRET JACKSON TO BE AUCTIONED OFF.I BOUTHE THE ORIGINAL RALLYE GREED ON THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO GO TO THE SANTIAGO AUCTION IN OKLA.ITS A REAL NICE ORIGINAL CAR WITH ALL MATCHING NUMBERS.IM LOOKING TO SELL IT WHEN I FIND A TOTALLY RESTORED MATCHING NUMBERS CAR
THANK GOOD LUCK