PDA

View Full Version : off the beating path of cars -- neat none the less

JChlupsa
01-27-2003, 10:45 PM
Just a neat pic that I received from a friend :P

This photo was taken via satellite, on a cloudless day.

Note how the lights are already on in Holland, Paris, and Barcelona, and
how it's still daylight in London, Lisbon, and Madrid. The sun is still
shining on the Straight of Gibraltar, and the Mediterranean Ocean is already
in darkness. In the middle of the Atlantic Ocean you can see the Azores
Islands; below them to the right, the Madeira Islands; a bit below them the
Canary Islands; further south, close to the furthest western point of
Africa, the Cape Verde Islands.

Note how the Sahara is huge and can be seen clearly both during daytime and nighttime.
To the left, on top, is Greenland, totally frozen.

Increase magnification to 100% to get a better effect.

Belair62
01-27-2003, 11:16 PM
Jeff that is very cool...now I must ask you....where did you get that pic ?? Looks like target acquisition stuff !!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

JChlupsa
01-27-2003, 11:26 PM
Nope that pic would be much closer of a shot, one you can read car plates with. It helps when you have friends in high places /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif Maybe it was for this planes mission, notice how the plane is marked to help pay for the war efforts.

jimbo
01-27-2003, 11:26 PM
This is along the same line. http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0011/earthlights_dmsp_big.jpg

JChlupsa
01-27-2003, 11:28 PM
I have a lot of pics like those from when I was a contractor at NASA at Edwards AFB in California. There all pretty neat when you think that they were taken from an average height of 225-265 miles above us

Belair62
01-27-2003, 11:30 PM
Looks like my wife left the lights on again ! Look at Chicago....looks like the whole metro area has their lights on.

hvychev
01-27-2003, 11:32 PM
Jeff that is cool stuff. You always find neat stuff. It is good for us to look at things other than cars sometimes. Keeps us sane! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

KLONECO
01-28-2003, 06:36 AM
Really puts things in perspective!Visualize the concentration of civilization!! Is that the locations of all the SUPERCARS? /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif AL

KLONECO
01-28-2003, 06:47 AM
See! Chris was right! The earth is flat! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif