PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Hartweg

02-01-2003, 04:23 PM
Just got off of the phone with Holub, and Lopata, and Ratpak. Just heard of Dennis's passing. I am simply in awe. Great guy to say least. The hobby has lost a true enthusiast. Got to know Dennis through the NNN, vette-fest, Supercar reunion, Gibb reunion, and other shows. Was looking forward to seeing him again March 2nd. Our condolences go out to his family and friends. If someone could e-mail me the arrangements I would appreciate it.

sYc
02-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Just heard the news about Dennis. What a loss. Dennis was one was of the true gentlemen of our hobby and will be greatly missed by all who knew him. Our condolences to the family. Tom, Rob and the rest of the Clary family.

hvychev
02-01-2003, 04:55 PM
I am simply stunned. I met Dennis at Vette Fest and had talked to him on other occasions and what a gentleman. My deepest sympathy goes out to his family and friends.

ORIGLS6
02-01-2003, 04:55 PM
I just heard the news from Kenny Brown. He was checking the accuracy of his information. This is not something I want to hear. Dennis and I met for the first time in LaHarpe last August and were quickly becoming close friends. I have been to his home a few times and both he and Ann are the most friendly, gracious people I've met. We travelled to VetteFest together and attended the New Years' Eve event in LaHarpe. We were working on a couple of small projects for his cars and I had just received an e-mail from him Friday morning related to one of those. I'm at a loss to tell you how much this hurts.
I'm thankful I had the opportunity to spend time with him. May God be with Dennis and Ann. I'll miss you my friend.

SS427
02-01-2003, 05:01 PM
Someone please fill me in! I was just discussing Dennis on an e-mail moments ago and had no clue. Dennis has been helping me on a research project. I have been out of state since Thursday and had heard nothing.

What a significant loss to the hobby. I only recently met Dennis at VetteFest and was amazed at what a down to earth guy he was. He was never to busy to answer my questions.

My thought and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Mr70
02-01-2003, 07:24 PM
Well I am in total shock today.First the shuttle,and now this news..I too just met Dennis Hartweg at November/02 Vettefest.I was going to try and help him locate some Fred Gibb Memorabilia for the next November 03 Vettefest show.Al Fierke was going to have a special display in honor of Fred Gibb there.Dennis truly was a very nice man who shared a passion for the Cars and their Memorabilia too.His Fred Gibb Nova and Literature display at VF/02 said a lot in my eyes..Please keep us updated here, as his family is in my Prayers tonight.Rick P.

Kim_Howie
02-01-2003, 07:39 PM
I met Dennis three years ago at LaHarp. We quickly became good friends. I sure am going to miss him. Kim

68TopStock
02-01-2003, 07:53 PM
Dennis will be missed by all who he touched. He was a wonderful man and husband. I am thankful to have known him, and will miss him.

82z96ss
02-01-2003, 09:47 PM
I never personally met Dennis, but my condolensces go to his wife and family. He is in better place now, may he rest in peace.

From
The Watts Family

mc25t190
02-01-2003, 09:54 PM
we never know. i meant dennis for the 1st time at vettefest in november. we talked for hours, (rick smith, dennis, & I). what a nice guy and a true enthusiast of the hobby. what a loss, i am without words. may god bless he and his family. i'm so sorry for such a tragedy, a short memory will be remembered for ever and missed!

L78Impala
02-01-2003, 10:19 PM
I to met Dennis at the November Vette Fest. A wonderful guy to talk to and a man who was visibly excited about our hobby.
My condolence to his family.

Bill Moloney

MotownMadman
02-01-2003, 10:36 PM
May Dennis be remembered in the hearts and minds of all those he touched with his kindness, My thoughts and prayers go out to Dennis, may he enjoy throughout eternity the peace and serenity as he walks with God. My deepest sympathies to the family and close friends of Dennis for your loss. May all prayers today be for Dennis and the crew of the Shuttle and their families.
Sincerely,
Motown /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

bkhpah
02-02-2003, 01:28 AM
What a terrible day. Dennis was one of the true enthusiasts in the hobby. He loved the Gibb/Harrell cars and their history. A real first class person. I really enjoyed our visits with him. He will be sadly missed by Joe and I...BKH

Allen
02-02-2003, 01:36 AM
Could someone please fill me in on what happened? If it shouldn't be discussed here, a private message will do.

I met Dennis at the Indy Nova Nationals in 2001 (same one I met Dave Belk at). Great guy, and he also bought some Nova parts from me occasionally in the past.

Although I didn't know him well, we did chat via AOL Instant Messenger many times and I heard about how his Grecian Green project came along, how it did at Vettefest, etc.

What happened?!?!? /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

Charley Lillard
02-02-2003, 03:08 AM
I was told Dennis was at a Car show last night in Joplin Mo. , where he had a Heart Attack. If you didn't know Dennis, he appeared to be a very fit Person in Good Health. It was way too early for him to go. I'll miss him.

Clint_69
02-02-2003, 03:14 AM
That is sad news. I never had the opportunity to meet Dennis but I did get to see his memorbelia and one of his cars at Super Chevy. My prayers go out to him and his family.

Allen
02-02-2003, 03:15 AM
I did meet him at the Nova Nationals in 2001. He had a blue '68 COPO Harrell/Gibb Nova with him. Very nice guy and great to talk to.

Thank you for the information, and I'm very sorry to hear about that.

Too many mortality checks recently - both for our nation (the shuttle) and personally (known individuals). /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

Allen

shor
02-02-2003, 03:36 AM
When Dennis found out I was buying a car he emailed me that he had notes and documents for that car. He fedexed me all of his notes on the car. Just like that. A real gentleman ( I didn't even know him before that) I then called him to talk about that car, and a 5 minute phone call turned into an hour long conversation about cars.
Dennis had a special story as a young boy with regards to the first two zl-1's delivered. Maybe someone here could tell the story better than I. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

mc25t190
02-02-2003, 03:49 AM
i'm sorry but this is tough for the supercar world. we know him in our hobby, but i can't stop thinking about his family. it makes you wonder what life is all about, family first! /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif it has truly ruined my day!)

Mr Yenko
02-02-2003, 03:54 AM
Iam at a total loss of words . I never met Dennis, but I have heard nothing but GREAT things about him. I send my dearest condolences to his Family and Friends. GOD SPEED...

Stefano
02-02-2003, 04:09 AM
I just returned from McCormick Place to see this info /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif Condolences, from our family to Dennis'

Tommy
02-02-2003, 04:50 AM
So sorry to hear about Dennis. I only talked with him by e-mail from this site but he seemed very interested in helping me with the things I had asked about. Seemed like A genuine guy. I think I still have all his e-mails saved. Again , sorry to hear about Dennis and I will keep him and his family in my prayers.
Tommy

BBIGG BLOCK 396
02-02-2003, 05:41 AM
Sorry you guys lost such a good friend,Sounds like Mr. Hartweg will be missed greatly.My thoughts and prayers go out to Mr. Hartweg,The Hartweg Family and all of his Friends.

Bobby

Ed Cunneen
02-02-2003, 01:05 PM
I feel very sad about the passing of Dennis. He was a true enthusiast and a really fine person.

Kim_Howie
02-02-2003, 05:36 PM
The funeral will be Wednesday, February 5th at Kirlin, Egan and Butler Funeral Home located at 900 South 6th Street in Springfield, IL. Visitation is from 5-6:00 p.m. that evening with the funeral immediately following. - Kim

SS427
02-02-2003, 08:41 PM
Kim,
Do you or anyone else know of the families wishes for a memorial?
Rick

Kim_Howie
02-02-2003, 10:11 PM
I don't right now but will find out. The funeral homes # is 877-724-6381 Kim

ORIGLS6
02-03-2003, 05:17 AM
Rick,
I have had a few queries of the same nature. I just spoke with Ann and her recommendations were the American Diabetes Association and the Animal Protective League of Springfield, IL or any local Animal Shelter in your area. She and Dennis are both animal lovers. She is a super lady and is holding up remarkably well at the moment.
DC

mc25t190
02-03-2003, 10:49 AM
a true enthusiast! see attached

COPO
02-03-2003, 11:36 AM
My prayers go out to Dennis's family and friends. I did not have the privledge to know Dennis, however, it is quite clear he was a fine man and a great Supercar enthusiast. It's a good reminder to all of us of the fragility of life and to live each day to the fullest.

DarrenX33
02-03-2003, 01:34 PM
This is most depressing news. My thoughts are with Dennis and his family.

Perhaps the home page can be modified this month to remember Dennis?

sYc
02-03-2003, 05:12 PM
Imagine. . . ...

There is a bank that credits your account each morning with $86,400. It
carries over no balance from day to day. Every evening it deletes whatever
part of the balance you failed to use during the day. What would you do?
Draw out ALL OF IT, of course!!!!

Each of us has such a bank. Its name is TIME. Every morning, it credits
you
with 86,400 seconds. Every night it writes off, as lost, whatever of this
you have failed to invest to good purpose. It carries over no balance. It
allows no overdraft.

Each day it opens a new account for you. Each night it burns the remains
of
the day. If you fail to use the day's deposits, the loss is yours.

There is no going back.There is no drawing against the "tomorrow." You
must
live in the present on today's deposits. Invest it so as to get from it
the
utmost in health, happiness, and success! The clock is running. Make the
most of today.

To realize the value of ONE YEAR, ask a student who failed a grade.

To realize the value of ONE MONTH, ask a mother who gave birth to a
premature baby.

To realize the value of ONE WEEK, ask the editor of a weekly newspaper.

To realize the value of ONE HOUR, ask the lovers who are waiting to meet.

To realize the value of ONE MINUTE, ask a person who missed the train.

To realize the value of ONE-SECOND, ask a person who just avoided an
accident.

To realize the value of ONE MILLISECOND, ask the person who won a silver
medal in the Olympics.

Treasure every moment that you have! And treasure it more because you
shared it with someone special, special enough to spend your time.

And remember that time waits for no one. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is
a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it's called the

present!!!

Friends are a very rare jewel, indeed. They make you smile and encourage
you to succeed. They lend an ear, they share a word of praise, and they
always want to open their heart to us.

Received from Dennis Cumby

02-03-2003, 05:50 PM
I still remember Dennis' excitement over that Gibb car he had just bought from Jude Hettick. I believe it was his first Gibb car at the time. It was at the Nova Nationals in Indianapolis. He parked right next to me, and we followed each other to the Indy track to take a lap. We had lunch at the hotel. Really enjoyed his stories about the Gibbs', his father and the dealership, and mostly his cars. I know he had interest in buying the old Gibb dealership and making it a museum. Would have loved to see that. I hope one of you "Gibb people" pick up where Dennis left off, and pursue at least some of his dreams. I hope something is done to commemorate Dennis at the LaHarpe delivery on March 2nd of the 8 2002 ZL-1 cars. Perhaps a sticker of some sort would be appropriate. I can't think of anyone who had more of a passion for the Gibb cars and history. As far as living for today, I decided that about 20 years ago when my father in law died at 50. Was a year away from retirement. Doesn't seem fair. I could give a sh-- less about a savings plan. I figure if I live long enough to use a retirement plan, that in itself is good enough for me. I am leaving my kids bills, and maybe a couple of cars! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif Rest in peace Dennis, we will miss you.

NovaMob03
02-03-2003, 08:50 PM
<font color="black"> If anyone would like to send flowers there is a florist on 5th Street, Phone: (217)522-3334. The funeral home mentioned memorial contributions could be made to either the Animal Protective League at 1001 Tainter Road Springfield, IL 62702 or The AM. Diabetes Assn./Always and Forever Program PO Box 26870 North Canton, OH 477270

Dennis was a great friend to all of us involved in this hobby. I'll miss him, his honesty, helpfulness, dedication, and friendship. </font color>

69rsss350
02-04-2003, 04:07 AM
Tom and Dennis Cumby, well said. I am sure that Mr. Hartweg will be driving it like he stole it with God as his co-pilot for eternity. My condolences to the famly, he will be missed!

JoeC
02-04-2003, 01:00 PM
Just a suggestion. Is there a way to have one of Dennis's cars used as the next feature car? This can be a small tribute in memory of Dennis if this is OK with his family.

shor
02-04-2003, 01:39 PM
Dennis told me a neat story a couple months back. Gibb had called Mr Hartweg (Denis's dad)to come by the dealership the day after the first two zl-1's were delivered. They told him to bring the wrecker because the car or cars wouldn't start. Mr. Hartwig took his son, Dennis with him 33 years ago. Dennis told me he took his camara with him because they were supposed to be "special" camaros!
Well when he got there they were just "plain" camaros with a coating of snow on them! He didn't "waste" a picture.
Wow!!! Talk about being there and being part of history!!
Can anyone else add to this story? I thought it was a very special story.

68TopStock
02-04-2003, 02:51 PM
At the sYc show in 2001 when the Gibb dealership was the featured dealership, I first met Dennis and spoke with him at length, since we have become fast friends. He walked up to me and said "I know that is "Little Hoss" because I remember when my father cut the hole in the firewall for the plenum aircleaner assembly. I told him it looked ugly, and asked why he cut the hole. My dad laughed, picked up the plenum, put it on the firewall and said, "there, doesn't that look better now?". He thanked me for not restoring the firewall, and for leaving the gaping hole there.

I thought I had a passion for the Gibb cars, however, what I have seen Dennis accomplish, with his sincere desire to preserve the heritage of this great dealership just humbled myself. I will remember him forever. I am just thankful he got to go on the cruise last fall with me. He told me he hadn't been in "Little Hoss" since 1968, and then only in the back seat. I even got to show him a launch. He loved that car. I only wish I would have let him drive it then. That was going to happen this year.

Goodbye Dennis /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

sYc
02-04-2003, 02:59 PM
Dennis L. Hartweg
December 21, 1954 - January 31, 2003

Birthplace: LaHarpe, Illinois
Resided In: Springfield Illinois
Visitation: February 05, 2003
Service: February 05, 2003

Dennis L. Hartweg, 48, of Pleasant Plains, formerly of Peoria, died at 8:04 p.m. Friday, January 31, 2003 at Freeman West Hospital ER in Joplin, MO.

Dennis was born December 21, 1954 in LaHarpe, IL, the son of Charles and Betty Long Hartweg. He married Ann Raudenbush September 7, 1985 in Peoria, IL.

Mr. Hartweg was employed by Penske Logistics for seven years and was currently a Regional Safety Manager. Annually he participated in the Fred Gibb Memorial Car Show. He collected classic cars, loved animals and enjoyed sailing.

He was preceded in death by his father.

He is survived by his wife, Ann of Pleasant Plains; mother: Betty (husband, William) Dunkin of Peoria; one sister: Deb (husband, Mike) Shoultz of Peoria; stepmother: Paula Hartweg of Peoria; two nieces and numerous aunts, uncles and cousins.

Friends may call at Kirlin-Egan and Butler Funeral Home from 5-6:00 p.m. Wednesday, February 5, 2003. Funeral Services will be at 6:00 p.m. Wednesday, February 5, 2003 at Kirlin-Egan and Butler Funeral Home with Scott Brindley officiating.

Memorial contributions may be made to Animal Protective League, Waggin Tails, 1001 Taintor Rd., Springfield, IL 62702 or American Diabetes Association, Always &amp; Forever Memorial &amp; Honor Program, P.O. Box 2680, North Canton, OH 44720.

The family of Dennis L. Hartweg is being served by Kirlin-Egan and Butler Funeral Home and Cremation Tribute Center 900 S. 6th St., Springfield.

sYc
02-04-2003, 03:20 PM
As we reflect back on the goods times we had with Dennis, and think about the void that his passing has left in our lives and our hobby, remember this, Dennis is now in the company of his heros, his father and Fred Gibb. I would say by now that Dennis has questioned both of them at length about the Gibb dealership, the different Gibb race cars and COPO cars. I am sure both of them are telling Dennis how proud they are of him for his efforts in preserving the Gibb legacy while here on earth. Heck, by now, I would bet he has even looked up Don Yenko, Dickie Harrell and the Stephani brothers.

Dennis will be missed, but not forgotten.

hvychev
02-04-2003, 06:01 PM
Wow, what nice comments that have been made about Dennis. I really had no idea that he had a family tie into the Gibb dealership. I to think that his car as a featured supercar would be the a great tribute to him as well.

Chevy454
02-04-2003, 06:04 PM
The feature car idea sounds good, except for one problem: we don't have any pictures! I know there are some from Vettefest around here somewhere, but does any else have any good pictures of any of his cars?

SS427
02-04-2003, 06:21 PM
Rob,
I took several at VetteFest '02. I will look tonight and see if any are of feature quality. The reason I say that is most pictures I take are for documentational or close ups of inspection marks, etc. I know I have several good shots of the engine and interior. I believe I did take one or two of the whole car and quite possibly with Dennis in the background. I will send them to you via PM and you can decide.

Hopefully someone here will take over where Dennis left off regarding the Harrell/Gibb research.
Rick

JoeC
02-04-2003, 08:21 PM
There are some pictures from the show on the Fred Gibb site

http://www.fredgibb.com/

Jeff Murphy
02-05-2003, 01:49 PM
Rob,

Check the reunion CD I sent you. I think there are a bunch!!! I probably cataloged them under LeMans ZL1 or something like that. I'd look myself but I'm in Spain and don't have a copy of the CD with me.

svanslyke
02-05-2003, 06:19 PM
I have pictures of #15 gibb nova @ his #49 ZL1
I would be happy to send to you

Chevy454
02-07-2003, 04:13 PM
February 2003 Feature Page (http://www.yenko.net/features/2003/February2003.htm)

02-07-2003, 04:33 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Beautiful car. Who used to own it before Dennis?

SS427
02-07-2003, 04:40 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Thanks for taking care of that Rob!

Ed Cunneen
02-07-2003, 04:47 PM
ZL-1 #49 was purchased by me years ago and was restored as Zoomin Aluminum, a Super Stock race car. I never did race it, but did show it at McCormick Place in Chicago along with ZL-1 # 46. It was sold to a collector a couple of years ago, who had it resored back to stock condition. It was then sold to Dennis.

sYc
02-08-2003, 09:03 PM
For the ones of you who were unable to attend Dennis' funeral, I will fill you in. The memorial service was very well attended, with several of Dennis' "car buddies" there. Even though the casket was closed, one could get sense of who Dennis was, as Ann had placed one of Dennis' car trophies on top. In addition, there was a collage of pictures of Dennis, including several pics of his cars. Speaking at the funeral was a member of the clergy, one of Dennis' co-workers and, Dennis Cumby. DC did a masterful job of putting into words what we all were feeling. He was able to convey to the others in attendance just how much Dennis meant to everyone in our hobby. After the service, everyone attended a get together hosted by Ann. Here, in a more relaxed atmosohere, we all shared our most memorable memories of Dennis. Ann, in here usual gracious way, made sure everyone had the chance to spend time visiting with her. As I left, it felt as though I was leaving something behind, which I was was. That thing was one of the "good guys" of the world. DENNIS HARTWEG

69rsz28
02-08-2003, 11:23 PM
The feature car page is a nice tribute for those of us that did not know him.

ORIGLS6
02-10-2003, 04:06 PM
Tom,
First, thank you for the kind words. It's something I hope I never have the opportunity to do again, but didn't need to think twice about when asked by Ann.

I just happened to notice that your postings were at number "427". I just hit it at the right time I guess, but how fitting for Dennis!!!

02-10-2003, 04:15 PM
REMINDS ME OF HOLUB. WHENEVER HE BOOKS A HOTEL ROOM, HE ASKS FOR ROOM 427! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

69L89396
02-24-2003, 02:11 AM
Nice job guys on the tibute.