PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Warbird documentary

SS427
02-17-2003, 05:17 PM
Though unrelated to our hobby, as there has been a lot of interest in airplanes both on line and off, I wanted to inform those that a documentary will be airing on March 3rd on the History Channel. This is in regards to the P-38s and B-17s that were found several hundred feet under an icecap in, I believe, Greenland several years ago.

The P-38 (now aptly named Glacier Girl) was recovered and restored to flying condition and the entire process and history will be aired next month. If any of you recall a National Geographic special several years ago about this recovery venture, it documented how the planes were located, a water bore was made to access them and then they were taken apart and lifted to the surface. More can be seen on www.thelostsquadron.com (http://www.thelostsquadron.com)

Just thought I would mention it for those interested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif
Rick

Rat_Pack
02-17-2003, 05:43 PM
If any of you guys or gals happen to be going through TN on I-75 you need to stop in and check out the P-38. The airport where it is located is about 45 minutes north of Knoxville and is easy to get to. They have done an outstanding job of restoring this airplane and their display area is full of neat artifacts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif....................RatPack............... ..

Mr70
02-17-2003, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the heads up!
I am circling that date.
I always wished I taped the Glacier Girl segment on Nova years ago.I enjoyed the B-29 segment they showed recently.Such a shame the outcome of the whole B-29 story.All for not,and a life lost....

JChlupsa
03-01-2003, 06:28 PM
Just a reminder its on in a few days :P
man its March already

Belair62
03-01-2003, 06:40 PM
I took a tour around a bomber a few years ago here in the Chicago area at Palwaukee airport.... It was called Sentimental Journey and I think it was a Lancaster type bomber...I think my wife finally threw out the t-shirt after 5 years or so....nose art looked like Marilyn Monroe if I remember correctly...

Mr70
03-01-2003, 07:31 PM
I am unclear as the time.
it says 9PM but is that Eastern or Std.?

JChlupsa
03-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Lets do this the easy way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif
Hunt for the Lost Squadron
90 min.
A search for World War II B-17 and P-38 planes that were crash-landed in Greenland in 1942 after pilots became disoriented by bad weather. All of the 25 U.S. Army Air Corps pilots were rescued.
Its on here (Hawaii) at 7 PM

http://www.tvguide.com/listings/setup/Localize.asp

Mr70
03-01-2003, 09:26 PM
Thanks Jeff.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Kick a Coconut for me.

JChlupsa
03-01-2003, 09:39 PM
no time to kick coconuts today we have the monthly 1st Saturday of the month crusie night tonight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

LVCamaro
03-01-2003, 10:11 PM
Did you get something runnin'?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

Norm reynolds
03-04-2003, 01:05 AM
the show is on now 900 est

SS427
03-04-2003, 03:15 AM
Great job Bob Cardin and crew! Brought tears to my eyes that only those who have been fortunate enough to be up close to some of these old birds could understand. Not even a ZL1 sounds as awesome as some of these old engines do when they do a low overhead pass at over 300 mph. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

After hanging a note on the TV for two weeks, it hit me 20 minutes after the show started that I hadn't started the VCR! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

COPO PETE
03-04-2003, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the show. It was great! Makes my restoration on cars look like a walk in the park. A guy 20 minutes from our house spent 20 years restoring his Fairley Swordfish. I was there when it finally took to the air. The sound and the emotions were incredible. They actually had some of the original crew there to witness it. The sounds are a thing of beauty. I'll still take the sounds of 13 Harvards flying low overheads over the sound of a big block Chev!
Peter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif

Mr70
03-04-2003, 01:49 PM
Don't tell me how it ends...
I taped it and will watch it when the Bulls lose,I mean play their next game. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gmsports
03-04-2003, 02:51 PM
I can't believe I missed it!! I got parolled by the wife & Kids, so I went to the Airport to work on my plane and forgot all about it......Anyone tape it???? I would be happy to pay for a copy....Steve

T Billigen
03-04-2003, 08:39 PM
My father was stationed at Hamilton field in Santa Rosa, California during the war and he used to talk about the P-38s stationed there, most ened up crashing due to high speed dives. They ended up putting dive brakes on them to stop the problem. They also had a jap Zero there that was found in the Aluetions, he said they would dog fight that plane against American planes continually.

SS427
03-05-2003, 12:26 AM
mr70, I won't tell you how the end was but if you are a warbird and history fan, that is where is got teary eyed. I have been in similar situations with the P51C and T-28 and there is nothing quite like it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

What they didn't tell you is the engine lost a bearing on a later flight. Could have been disasterous! There have been a few P38 crashes in the last several years and we don't need another. Another great test pilot and host of a cable show dedicated to warbirds was killed a few years ago due to a fuel problem if I recall. His parents watched him flat spin into the ground. He would have likely survived the crash if the landing gear had been down but in the stowed position, the front gear is directly under the pilots seat. You get the picture. It was a great loss to the warbird community.
Rick

MotownMadman
03-05-2003, 09:03 PM
NAME THIS WARBIRD!
Ok guys, since we have this war bird post going I have provided links to four photos of a warbird my brother restored a few years ago (he does that as a career, I do cars, he does planes). Here are some hints: By the time the plane was perfected for production the war was ending, most of the planes were sold to other Air force's around the world. This particular plane is one of five that were purchased by a group of investors here in the states from the Iraq air force around 1980, who were flying the planes in active duty until 1977. Of the five planes three were restored. These planes were also built for aircraft carrier duty. I got a ride in this thing, it does over 400 mph on alcohol injection. So tell me guys, what year, and what is it and it's country of origin?
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

http://www.boomspeed.com/hottrod/DSC00953.JPG
http://www.boomspeed.com/hottrod/DSC00954.JPG
http://www.boomspeed.com/hottrod/DSC00955.JPG
http://www.boomspeed.com/hottrod/DSC00956.JPG

COPO PETE
03-05-2003, 09:49 PM
Alcohol injected!!!!!!! I like the sound of that.
Don't know the name, but what a cool looking plane!
Peter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

MotownMadman
03-05-2003, 09:53 PM
Pete,
That plane provides a G force rush like no car I have ever drove or rode in. I went up with the owner, he is a X fighter pilot and flew for years in speed pylon racing with Hilton Hotels as his sponser. Won several world titles. He was not holding back anything when I rode in that monster, we did things I had no idea a plane was capable of. I kissed the ground when I got out with weak knees.
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

JChlupsa
03-05-2003, 09:54 PM
Hawker Sea Fury???? maybe??

http://www.pylon1.com/

MotownMadman
03-05-2003, 10:03 PM
Bingo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif Now Jeff, tell us what year and country of origin?
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

JChlupsa
03-05-2003, 10:08 PM
The Hawker Sea Fury was the last piston engined fighter used by front-line units of the Royal Navy. The first Sea Furies entered fleet service with 807 and 803 NAS's in August and September of 1947. Both units converted to the F.B.11 version in May 1948.

http://www.faasig.org/tech/seafury.htm

MotownMadman
03-05-2003, 10:30 PM
Bingo again Jeff, 1947. These planes were supposed to be some of the fastest piston engine fighters ever built, after being in the thing I cant see how one could fly any faster! It felt like I was the coyote stapped to a missle going after the Roadrunner.
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

SS427
03-13-2003, 11:34 AM
For those interested and the ones like me who didn't record it, I was just informed that a video will be available of the entire Glacier Girl episode shown last week on the History Channel. It will be available in the next couple of weeks through the gift store at this site www.thelostsquadron.com/ggg.html (http://www.thelostsquadron.com/ggg.html)
Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

JChlupsa
03-23-2003, 12:21 AM
Not a warbird per say but still a neat aircraft that I have been providing support for over the past few weeks. NASA's U2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

JChlupsa
03-23-2003, 12:23 AM
awesome plane and I have some nice patches that the crew left with me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Belair62
03-23-2003, 02:16 PM
Probably on a weather mission... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

JChlupsa
03-23-2003, 04:28 PM
lets just say that when one leaves one of the black ones returns. We rotating 3 of them out of here and watching them land is something all together.

Belair62
03-24-2003, 12:19 AM
Do they still have to race along side it and put the wheels on the wings ?

JChlupsa
03-24-2003, 04:11 AM
only one left that I know of that has to still have that done all others have been re-fitted with new gear.

Mr70
03-31-2003, 02:57 PM
Last Night PBS aired a good story on NOVA about the WWII bombing mission off Attu Island on the Kuril Islands of Japan.
USA sent 5 PV-1 Venturas to bomb those islands and draw Japanese troops northward away from the action.
On March 25,1944 Ventura Bomber #31 took off and was never heard from again,until 1999 when some one sent pix to the US embassy in Russia showing the wreckage.
They sent a investigation Team,and discovered the wreckage was indeed Ventura #31,and the crews remains.
After all was deciphered thay determined the crew caught enemy fire and had to crash land before their Bombing mission was complete.Most of the crew was injured,and all parished soon after from the freezing cold in Siberia,and the Vast amount of brown Bears in that area.
They finally brought back what remains they found to the Families,and put an end to this mystery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

SS427
04-20-2003, 02:50 AM
For those that did not get to see or tape the original airing of the documentary, it will be shown again in full on April 24th at 8:00 PM EST and again at midnight EST. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif
Rick

JChlupsa
05-14-2003, 11:47 PM
Rick, More current aircraft but thought you might like to check them out just the same. Esp the SR71 pics now thats a mean craft.

http://www.weaponz.net/aircraft.htm

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

SS427
05-15-2003, 02:46 AM
Jeff,
Thanks for the link. Very interesting. Did anyone see the show on Discovery tonight where an East Coast builder went to New Guinea (sp?) to locate his great uncle's crashed B-25. After 4 years of searching and after turning up several other crashed planes as well as remains, he finally located the plane? He also returned the remains of another airman back to his family. Neat story. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif
Rick