PDA

View Full Version : 68-69 motion chevelle hood.

rat tuned
02-24-2003, 06:53 PM
I was just looking through an old musclecars mag(1984) that has an article on a 1969 phase 3 chevelle. although it states that the car is a 69 it has all 68 trim. my question is on the hood though. it appears to be a ss hood that was molded with a stinger scoop on it. it still retains the ss louvers. I am wondering who made motions hoods and if a hood like this is still available? thank you mike

copo9566aa
06-19-2003, 07:03 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

PxTx
06-19-2003, 08:57 PM
Just like the green 1970 Motion Chevelle, I beleive this one was just a stock steel hood with the other part grafted on. I do not beleive anyone ever produced this hood.

Paul T

JoeG
06-19-2003, 09:49 PM
Motion switched over to full size fiberglass hoods stingray/L-88 type on the '69 chevelle.
Because of the open front, the scoop kinda wanted to depart from the metal hood to which it was attached.------ Which could put you in a state of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif in a hurry.-------- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

rat tuned
06-20-2003, 06:24 PM
that looks to be 1 heck of a graft. this is the only hood like this I have ever seen. does anyone know who owns this car now? I called legendary from penn. and ordered a catalog but never received it. with all the motion fiberglass sold its hard to beleive that they would take the time to do such a good graft.

JoeG
06-20-2003, 07:55 PM
rat tuned,
Your right it was a good, but time consuming graft, plus they destroyed the hood. That was another reason for going to a full fiberglass hood---on a new Motion car purchase , there was an exchange for original equipment[hood]-----killed 2 birds with 1 stone ---you got a nice hood the dealer got a new hood---JoeG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PxTx
06-21-2003, 01:22 AM
I am not aware of any of the Baldwin Motion Chevelles coming with full fiberglass hoods. The fiberglass is just like the other "Phase III" equipment that Joel sold. It is another manufacturer's product that he re-badges.

If there was such an exchange for a hood, it would certainly be used to graft another scoop. Similar to a core fee on a re-built part.

You will not get a catalog from Legendary since their current one is still being updated by a guy who is VERY slow.

Paul Tholey

JoeG
06-21-2003, 05:26 AM
pxtx,
I'm here to tell you there was a full fiberglass Stinger Hood 68/69 Chevelle part#17404--Motion Performance Catalog--1969.---Part of a PhaseIII package was a cold-air package--a stingray scooped fiberglass hood,at least on my Chevelle, which was used as an exchange for the factory steel hood.---I'm given you my experience with Motion--I was there in 1969.---JoeG---- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif------- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

JoeC
06-21-2003, 11:05 AM
I believe the green 1970 Motion LS6 Chevelle has a full glass L88 style hood on it.
JoeG, did your car look like the brown 69 Motion Chevelle Ertl diecast with stinger hood and white top?

whitetop
06-21-2003, 01:02 PM
Fastglass (Legendary) sold a glass, later style L-88 hood, for the 68-69 & 70-72 Chevelles. I think they still have the 68-69 in their catalog.
Dave

hvychev
06-21-2003, 05:22 PM
Joe you sent me a blank e-mail. Do you still own the car? How does it look today. I would LOVE to see pics.

JoeG
06-21-2003, 05:46 PM
hvychev,
That was code Frank!!--------------------SORRY.

Yes---I still own the car.-----getting some pics together--will PM you----THANKS---JoeG-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

JoeG
06-21-2003, 06:17 PM
JoeC,
That car is a model representation from a picture of my car-------- Joel Rosen surprised me by submitting a picture to ERTL.--Front of the full fiberglass stinger hood, on the actual car is opened & the back is closed.----JoeG--

JoeC
06-24-2003, 05:26 PM
JoeG, What happened when you drove in the rain with front of stinger hood cut open? Did dist cap get wet and cause any problem? I always wondered about that on some of the Motion cars.

JoeG
06-24-2003, 09:30 PM
JoeC,
Unless it was a heavy downpour the heat from the engine would evaporate any light moisture---I always wanted to rig up an cable-controlled inside manually operated flap but I decided to keep it simple --in heavy rain ,especially on the highway- I would wedge a large piece of heat tolerant foam plastic coated on the front----- flush to the opening---never had a problem--just had to adjust to the situation--- Like I said I kept it Real simple, --I could have adapted the '67 vette stingray cast insert to fit,but never felt the need to----- I'm sure other fellas found thier own little solutions to not so big a problem---anyway the rain always stopped eventually,and the sun would shine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif-------------JoeG- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

rat tuned
06-25-2003, 07:31 PM
joe,
did your car come with the ss396 or ss427 badges? does anyone sell the stinger hood today? I'm sure mant here would like to see some color pics if possible. thanx mike

JoeG
06-25-2003, 10:01 PM
rat tuned,
This was a PhaseIII L78 ,so it has the SS396 badges,--there is----- PHASE III----- in white letters on both side of the stingray hood---which I had to remove right after I got the car , because some car-guys knew of the awesome PHASEIII 427 camaro and the PHASEIII letters would make it tough to get a money-run--they figured I was trying to sting them with a 427 under the hood and 396 badges on the car---lot of mind games back then.
As far as I've noticed in hood catalogs there isn't a stock # for a stingray scooped fiberglass hood for a 68/69 Chevelle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif??---But with the specs, a good fiberglass man could make a copy of almost anything-----you just have to see if the price fits into your budget on how much you want to spend.--------------------JoeG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Photos---I sent some photos to be posted---so you could see just another of the different flavors of MOTION cars in the 60's---American car companys were on a muscle-car roll mid-60's to early 70--it was hard to keep up and try to stay ahead of some heavy muscle,- with all the horse-power they were throwing at you----but like a lot of car-guys, I had a hell-of a lot of fun trying to!!!------- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

azrapse
08-25-2003, 02:37 AM
Hey rat tuned,

Per your 2/24/03 post: "I was just looking through an old musclecars mag(1984) that has an article on a 1969 phase 3 chevelle. although it states that the car is a 69 it has all 68 trim. "

I wondered if you had any more photos from that article, or the article itself you can post or send my way.

Much appreciated. PS - seems from some of your posts you might be working on a '69 MOTION Chevelle clone/ conversion; just curious as to what your plans are for emblems, color, stripe/s?, wheels, hood, interior, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gifetc..

Edward.

rat tuned
08-25-2003, 11:10 PM
hi edward,
at some point I thought that I would do a conversion. but I went another route. I just happen to be a big fan of all motion cars but chevelles in particular. I have several articles about motion chevelles and collect old magazines. my favorite are the "cars illustrated" and "street and strip". I am sorry i am not very good with the computer and have no way of showing any thing. good luck mike

azrapse
08-26-2003, 04:08 AM
Thanks rat tuned; understandable.

More questions though...Can you describe some, if any, of the '69 Motion Chevelles you've seen - was the '69 BM Ertl Skunk Chevelle an actual car that you know of, or just a fabrication by thier modelers?

Any info is appreciated...

JoeC
08-26-2003, 01:09 PM
The "Skunk" was a 63 Corvette that Joel had back in the early 60s. He won alot of races with this car (road and drag) and it began to make the Motion name known as a performance shop. Many of the Ertl Motion cars were real cars. I collect the ones that I have real pictures of.

azrapse
08-26-2003, 09:54 PM
This one. This is the only diecast I know of, besides the Drags, that has Centerlines on it.

It'd be nice if it was a real car, either way it's an excellent diecast - one of my favorites.

JoeC
08-26-2003, 10:14 PM
I have not seen a real Motion Chevelle like that. There may have been one with a stripe down the center but the centerline wheels came out about mid 70s.

rat tuned
08-28-2003, 10:29 PM
I have not seen that car in any of my old car magazines. does anyone know if it still or ever existed?

x Baldwin Motion
12-26-2021, 10:27 PM
This one. This is the only diecast I know of, besides the Drags, that has Centerlines on it.

It'd be nice if it was a real car, either way it's an excellent diecast - one of my favorites.

Now we know a similar 69 BM Chevelle did exist. It would probably look pretty good with SSTs or Centerlines

67ssmn
12-26-2021, 10:33 PM
whats up with the RS emblems?

GotGrunt
12-26-2021, 10:38 PM

Originally built by Motion for Roberto Schneider in Mexico.

x Baldwin Motion
12-26-2021, 11:08 PM

https://www.conceptcarz.com/profile/3987,15204/1969-baldwin-motion-ss427-phase-iii-chevelle.aspx

Some info may be missing or incorrect

Pusher_Man
12-30-2021, 03:26 AM
I knew of the RG “Mexican Camaro” sitting behind that black one. Didn’t know this Chevelle was ordered with it.