PDA

View Full Version : LaHarpe!!!

chevelle_ss_502
03-02-2003, 08:49 PM
Just got home from LaHarpe a few minutes ago. What a wild time! Those cars are truly amazing. Mrs Fred Gibb even got one today as well.

Andy Mourning

SS427
03-02-2003, 11:42 PM
Hopefully Ann was able to make it as I know Dennis was there in spirit. I am sure she enjoyed seeing all his friends and cars again if she did make it.
Rick

Kim_Howie
03-03-2003, 01:02 AM
Ann was there with the nova and the ZL-1. The nova didn't look the same as it did two years ago sitting in my garage?? The car is great!!! They had a nice tribute to Dennis. Everybody had a good time p.s. those cars are damn FAST. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif Kim

Schonyenko2
03-03-2003, 01:55 AM
Kim, you forgot the part about the tire smoke almost completly blotting out the old dealership. When Denis Barker is around things get outof hand real quick. Enough rubber on that road that Mayor B should'nt have to blacktop it for a couple of years. Great fun in Laharpe. Schonye /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

SuperCars
03-03-2003, 03:04 AM
Geeez! I didn't realize what a crazy man old "Burnout Barker" was. I'm still coughing out chunks of burnt rubber. Then one of Matts guys toasted Belks tires for about 5 minutes. I think his odometer registered about 200 miles during the burnout, but the car only moved about 2 inches. Then it was wonderful to see Ann there with Dennis' cars, very special.

82z96ss
03-03-2003, 03:25 AM
NOt to take away from everyone that was able to go to the delivery, but did anyone think about us guys that were to far away to make it. If ya did good you kindly post some pics please.

It was cloudy down here today and the weather man didn't have an explanation for it, I think all that tire burning was the cause.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

Kim_Howie
03-03-2003, 03:38 AM
I took two pictures both look like there pictures of clouds in the sky. I was so impressed that I didn't think of taking picures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

chevelle_ss_502
03-03-2003, 02:02 PM
I have got alot of pics, not all are good mind you(I dont claim to be a photographer!). If Dave Belk Doesnt care about me posting them I have a couple good ones of them melting the tires on his new car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif. It was a very impressive showing.

Andy

03-03-2003, 02:28 PM
Please post! I was to excited about the whole event! Leanne took a lot of pics, but don't have them developed yet. Another class event. Everyone had a great time. Was truly a memorable day. I still can't beleive the performance. Supercar is an understatement. What can I say about Dennis Barker besides I want his job! If his car isn't broke by now, it's indestructible! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif My car had the ZO6 wheels on it, but my cragars are on the way. I figured I would ruin Matts tires since I had new ones on the way. I heard him tell Ron (his employee) that "I see you bought yourself a set of tires"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif I can't imagine the stress on Matt, but seen it in his face, when these cars were being "broke in". His employees, Mike and Ron, are a riot! They love their job, understandably. They are also great "teachers"! Dennis C. did a wonderful job on the stickers in memory of Dennis Hartwig. Also had a great speech commemorating Dennis, and talking about Dennis' cars. Anne is a sweatheart, and was great to finally meet her. Helen and Nancy were great hosts as usual. Helens car is a neat peice, plum color/white stripes, cragars, and white leather interior. Hate to say it (no offense Carl), but the fathom green/ white stripe car was awesome! I know Carl had second thoughts about a green car, but he made a great choice. Kevins car looked great as well. I dam near told him to put on a depends! He was clearly impressed with the car. He took pics of everything in the city of LaHarpe! Barnhardt gave me a hard time as usual. I did manage to keep my 7 year old away from him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Lots of people were there, and I am sure noone regretted going! Nice job Ken, you're gonna have your hands full for the next Gibb show! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

ORIGLS6
03-03-2003, 02:45 PM
Dave,
I have a ton of pictures I could send. Rob, I could use some help!!!

A bittersweet day for many of us but I'm sure DH is still grinning and talking with Fred and Dick about the crazy bunch that gathered yesterday. It's the kind of tribute he would enjoy.

A close call as we left Helen's house. Dave and Leanne's youngest was playing on the front walk. Barnhart was leaving at the same time so everyone was relieved to see Jeri grab him and direct him immediately toward the Suburban. Another kidnapping averted! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Great to see some familiar names and faces again. I hope everyone got home safe and sound. The cars are great but the friendships are still #1.

ORIGLS6
03-03-2003, 03:05 PM
Let's try one.

ORIGLS6
03-03-2003, 03:12 PM
OK, that worked. Look out!

ORIGLS6
03-03-2003, 03:13 PM
In the beginning.....

ORIGLS6
03-03-2003, 03:18 PM
Obscured vision

ORIGLS6
03-03-2003, 03:19 PM
The remains! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

JoeC
03-03-2003, 03:53 PM
Is there sill a Chevy Dealer in that location?
Looks like that was a good show.

ORIGLS6
03-03-2003, 04:04 PM
Mr. Barker

ORIGLS6
03-03-2003, 04:05 PM
Again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

ORIGLS6
03-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Believe it or not.....This guy is at work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif

68TopStock
03-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Nope, no more dealership. How about a pic of Helen's new car?

ORIGLS6
03-03-2003, 04:08 PM
All you need to do is ask! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

68TopStock
03-03-2003, 04:12 PM
Love the color, wonder if it is Royal Plum? Is this the last one, that being the #69 car?

barker
03-03-2003, 04:13 PM
The thing is "WE DO ENJOY OUR JOB" !!! Thank you for the good picture !
Dennis

ORIGLS6
03-03-2003, 04:13 PM
Another

ORIGLS6
03-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Best shot of the day!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

ORIGLS6
03-03-2003, 04:18 PM
Ken,

Matt said it was supposed to be Royal Plum but actually turned out too light. He is calling it "Medium Plum Metallic". Reminiscent of the Original Car!

ORIGLS6
03-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Capt. Carl's

ORIGLS6
03-03-2003, 04:21 PM
Kevin Hand's

ORIGLS6
03-03-2003, 04:22 PM
For you, DH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Clint_69
03-03-2003, 04:34 PM
What a great day! It was truely a memorable experience. I think the part that I enjoyed the most (although there were several) was when they unvailed Helen's car. She got in the car, fired it up and gave us a nice reeeeeeev!! It was great! The sound of those cars is unbeliveable!I have over 40 pictures so if anybody would like some, let me know.

mc25t190
03-03-2003, 04:43 PM
great job on the pics dennis, can you burn me a disk i will glady pay you for them. i got so excited i took all the pictures of mine before we got outside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

82z96ss
03-03-2003, 04:48 PM
CLint I would like some pics! If you are will to burn pics on a cd I would pay you also.

Those are great pics, seeing Mrs. Gibb in her car is awesome. The Fathom Green is beautiful, much nicer color once it was finished.

mc25t190
03-03-2003, 04:58 PM
for that matter anyone who was there that got more pics i'll take all i can get of the whole event , email me and i will gladly reimburse for any expenses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

mc25t190
03-03-2003, 05:10 PM
if time could have taken me back 34 years i wouldn't know what to do with myself. if you get one of these cars you have to take delivery of it at the gibb dealership.
it was nice seeing some great friends(belk with leann and ryan, stuber, holub, matt murphy, dennis barker and 100's of people) not to mention the kindness that helen and nancy gibb showed toward all the enthusiasts. WOW!
if anyone has not considered these cars to be supercars then they need to drive one, 600 horsepower. i wasn't going to drive mine until belk and stuber took off and before i knew it i was running towards the car and the adrenaline started to flow. i eased out of the dealership and cruised slowly in 1st gear and hit 2nd and nailed it and oh my! my! it broke loose and i was completely amazed at what this car could do. it was a blast and a memory i will never forget!
to top the weekend off belk did a line lock burnout that completely wowed the crowd, you couldn't even see the car, barker followed it up with another launch , but i couldn't afford to replace my tires after seeing that, i am sure pics will follow . you have to get one of these cars, they're amaxingly fast and streetable at 93 octane gas. the engine rrumbles and rocks the car at idle. its 7 hrs. later and i still haven't come off of my cloud. what a gr8 time, with the boys, locals , and the gibb family, not to forget berger chevrolet and the gr8 job matt murphy did on the car. sorry, i got a little long winded! man oh man!
lucky car #13 owner 2002 and 1969 ZL1 owner #13 who says 13 is an unlucky # ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

barker
03-03-2003, 05:12 PM
Personally I do not believe there are enough nice words to explain how nice a day it was in La Harpe on Sunday. The hospitality shown by Helen & Nancy Gibb, Arlan (the owner of the facility) and Kenny Brown was just totally awesome!! The Barker Family would like to THANK ALL OF YOU for a Fabulous time. It is a day we will never forget !

Thank You Again,

The Barker's

JoeC
03-03-2003, 06:18 PM
Is that Nova and Camaro indoor picture taken inside the old dealer showroom? What is the old dealership building used for today?

ORIGLS6
03-03-2003, 06:30 PM
Joe,
That is the old (last) dealership showroom. The original dealership was on the North side of the square but this building was opened in 1963. It is now a tire store. Ironic, huh? Considering what happened out front Sunday, maybe Arlen should stock some BFG Drag Radials if this happens again!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

Mr70
03-03-2003, 07:19 PM
Sunday I could smell the burning rubber from here.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

barker
03-03-2003, 07:30 PM
No, it is not #69. It is #PR3 meaning it is the 3rd prototype built. Chevrolet owns #1, Matt Berger of Berger Chevrolet owns #PR2 and now Helen Gibb of Fred Gibb Chevrolet owns #PR3. Kind of fitting since the ZL1 was born out of Fred Gibb Chevrolet. Hope we helped !

hvychev
03-03-2003, 07:34 PM
You guys sound like you had an awesome day!! That is really neat that Helen got a ZL1! Did she do a burnout? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I wonder if she will drive the car often? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

mc25t190
03-03-2003, 07:56 PM
how many of these things do you think they would have sold if we all knew then what we know now? i bet there would be a lot more 427's of the allottment, blocks coming from chevrolet, DEI enterprises doing the building, helen gibb signing off on the project, taking delivery at gibb chevrolet, what else? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

Chevy454
03-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Ok, enough burnouts! Whose got some time slips?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

ZL1O2IL
03-03-2003, 11:49 PM
One of Matt's guys drove Helen's Car with her in the passenger seat and did a burn out but not to the degree of the 600 hp cars. She said she loved it. I think everyone was very happy she got a car. She said there sould be a ZL1 in LaHarpe. I told Dennis Barker was having far to much fun doing awesome 500 foot (or more) burnouts and the car going sideways, back and forth. What a super awesome day again in LaHarpe. Again, Matt Murphy, Dennis Barker, Helen Gibb and family and Mayor Brown (who was kind enough to keep the police busy on the other side of town) made the trip to LaHarpe very worthwhile. Also thanks to Ann Hartwig for being there. Congratulations to the new owners - those 600 hp cars sound awesome. I will say again that Matt has made these cars into cars that will go down in the muscle car history books. Being a older fellow, I have been to a lot of car related events, the two days at Laharpe have to be at the top of the fun list. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

mayor_b
03-04-2003, 03:18 AM
Thanks to everyone who attended our show in LaHarpe Sun. A special thanks to Dennis C. who helped with the memorial. Also for the ones who couldn't make it we did do other things besides smokies. I have no idea what Dennis was trying to hide or take from the ZL-1. Thanks again and keep in touch. Ken /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

chevelle_ss_502
03-04-2003, 03:26 AM
I am trying to post a pic on here of Dave's Car in mid burnout and I CANT FIGURE IT OUT!! Anyone wanna help? Thanks.
Andy

ORIGLS6
03-04-2003, 03:29 AM
Thanks, Buddy. I take back most of the good things I said about you earlier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
You'll notice I wasn't alone under there. Joel has a real desire for a BE axle for his car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Mr70
03-04-2003, 01:59 PM
I caught Dennis doing the same thing at VetteFest.Only he said he was looking for a CRW rearend! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

RonNova396L34
03-04-2003, 07:49 PM
You guys have WAY to much fun taking delivery of your new cars!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif Ron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

chevelle_ss_502
03-04-2003, 09:16 PM
Here is a pic of Mrs Gibb and her new Ride.

Andy

chevelle_ss_502
03-04-2003, 09:21 PM
Here is a pic of Dave's car mid burnout.

Andy

Sorry Matt for the previous post of not giving you credit for being in the pic as well.

chevelle_ss_502
03-04-2003, 09:24 PM
And another. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif

RonNova396L34
03-04-2003, 09:29 PM
I see between the first and second pictures you posted of Belk's car, somebody has pulled up to that stop sign. I bet they were saying "Those darn kids are at it again!" LOL
Ron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

chevelle_ss_502
03-04-2003, 10:34 PM
The amazing part about these pics is that were they were having the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif was right in the middle of the HIGHWAY!! Every so often a car would pull up and at one point ron had to wave one thru so he could do the burnout.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

ORIGLS6
03-04-2003, 11:02 PM
LaHarpe is a very HP friendly town. Rumor has it the City Marshall was in plain clothes, standing in the showroom, grinning ear to ear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

mc25t190
03-05-2003, 12:34 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif i honestly beleive that if it had anything to do with fred gibb they would turn their back on anything that had to do with high performance events like smoky and the bandit. the mayor "B" was their, 1/2 the town and the cops weren't anywhere to be seen , but, when they stopped barker on the way into town as they were alerted by the gibbs to do so, it may have been matt murphy, one of them. they would have let you do anything that day, i wish it were that way in greensboro, nc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Charley Lillard
03-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Ha....Tell me more about them stopping Barker......

mc25t190
03-05-2003, 07:59 PM
charlie,
i don't remember if it was barker or matt murphy , but , the gibbs staged it and i heard he (?) said but i wasn't speeding i swear, why are you pulling me and then the cop started laughing and informed him he had been framed! quite comical, you could only get away with that in LaHarpe, ILL smalltown USA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Charley Lillard
03-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Ha !!! Actually they did it at the Berger show also. The Cop even had pics of Dennis doing a Smokey Burnout waving at the Crowd.

mc25t190
03-05-2003, 09:34 PM
wouldn't you hate to pay his tire bill, oops, i forget you have those 1100 hp cars, yours maybe even higher, as for mine they dryrot, that my fault! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

mayor_b
03-06-2003, 03:32 AM
I am going to try and send articles out of our weekly paper. have a good week, Ken /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

mayor_b
03-06-2003, 03:40 AM
another one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

mayor_b
03-06-2003, 03:46 AM
for a colored copy go to http://www.quillnewspaper.com You can also go to archives and find the dec. show and last aug show. Ken /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Bill Pritchard
03-06-2003, 02:01 PM
Thank you Mayor B for the link to the local newspaper story! And thanks to all who posted pictures and stories here. It looks like a great time was had by all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Finally, congratulations to all the proud new owners. Too bad there isn't a 'smoky burnout graemlin' that slowly fills the whole monitor screen with 'tire smoke' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

mc25t190
03-07-2003, 10:46 AM
put dennis barker behind the wheel! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

Chevy454
03-07-2003, 02:29 PM
Dave & Andy:

Sorry about not replying back about how to post pictures, but I haven't been spending much time on the board lately. It looks like you both got it figured out, though!

Ironically enough, before I took my "hiatus" I was working on a thread on "How to post images"...guess I need to get back to work on that!

chevelle_ss_502
03-07-2003, 07:28 PM
Rob,

Not a problem, I was overlooking the attach pics button. Some of the other great members helped me out. Keep up the great site!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

chevelle_ss_502
03-11-2003, 02:17 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any pics they have burned on a cd from LaHarpe? I am trying to make up a CD full of pics from the show. Thanks,

Andy