PDA

View Full Version : Lack of respect for America

yountto
03-21-2003, 07:20 PM
Wondering what our friends up north think about this...

MONTREAL -- Fans booed during the playing of the U.S. national anthem before the New York Islanders' 6-3 victory over the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday night.

The sellout crowd of 21,273 at Bell Centre was asked to "show your support and respect for two great nations'' before the singing of the American and Canadian national anthems.

But a significant portion of the crowd booed throughout "The Star-Spangled Banner'' in an apparent display of their displeasure with the U.S.-led war against Iraq. More than 200,000 people turned out for an anti-war demonstration in Montreal last Saturday.

Mark Parrish, a native of Bloomington, Minn., was upset hearing the boos.

"I came to the game pretty pumped up, but once I heard that it really got me going,'' Parrish said. "So I guess I can thank them a little bit for getting me more pumped up.

Parrish later added on The Sports Network of Canada: "If it wasn't for America, who knows what language I'd be speaking now."

Another anti-war protest took place earlier in the day along St. Catherine's Street as protestors chanted "No Blood for Oil" in both French and English. The Canadian government is opposed to the war in Iraq.

"I'm sure there are a lot of people against the war, but some things people can't control,'' said New York's Alexei Yashin, who is from Russia. "They were probably showing what they feel about it.''

Defenseman Mike Komisarek, who is from Islip Terrace, N.Y. and is the only American-born player on the Montreal roster, was asked about his feelings on the war.

"I'd rather not comment on that," he told Newsday. "Just my prayers are with the troops in the Middle East and hope they come home soon and safe to their families."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

copo9566aa
03-21-2003, 08:08 PM
The only flag I have in my house is the US Flag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Keith Tedford
03-21-2003, 08:45 PM
With a son and son-in-law in the Canadian Army and a daughter joining, It isn't hard to see where our sentiments are. In reality, our government is supporting the US effort a lot more than is made public. We've had soldiers in the gulf region for quite some time. I prefer to speak English. Wasn't very good in French in high school and never took German. I guess we should thank, in part,the good old US of A. Of course Canada had about 400,000 troops fighting in world war II. We have to salute them also.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
03-21-2003, 09:28 PM
Well said friends from Canada! At least the Canadian motorheads realize what has to be done here, Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Jeff H
03-21-2003, 10:18 PM
It just amazes me what these people are protesting about. They have no idea of how repressed the Iraqi people are. Iraqis are already starting to celebrate as our troops start securing areas of Iraq. What are they protesting? The fact that we're helping set these people free? We should have done this 12 years ago.

68z302
03-21-2003, 10:38 PM
Last night's (same night) Hockey game between the Vancouver Canucks & Nashville Predators both Anthems were played.
The Visitors Anthem, which was the US, was played after the home teams Canadian.
There was a HUGE "standing O" after the US was played. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

People at a Montreal game /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif don't speak for everyone North of the border.
Don't know what's wrong with the Government though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

COPO PETE
03-21-2003, 11:27 PM
For the record.... I never voted for our prime minister. I support the US troops 100%. People are all worked up about this war. This is just part of the battle. The war started on Sept 11th, and not by our or the US's choice. I wish them luck and hope all come home safe, although I'm told at least two have unfortunately died! Good luck soldiers, My thought are with you!!!!
Peter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Belair62
03-21-2003, 11:36 PM
Well I guess booing is not really so bad.....our lovely citizens in San Francisco and Chicago as well as other places had large demonstrations and protests.Most of the kids figured Iraq didn't deserve to get hit since they didn't do anything to us....I got an E-mail yesterday which said something about an earthquake being detected in France registering a 10 on the Richter scale....it went on to say the cause of the eartquake was all the US servicemen who helped liberate France and were laid to rest there were rolling over in their grave...

MotownMadman
03-22-2003, 01:16 AM
Politicians...That is where the problem lies. For the most part it is not the people of opposing nations who disagree, most just follow their leadership. How soon France has forgotten what it is like to be pushed around by a dictator...and who came to their rescue. Let someone attack Canada and see who they turn to for help...The really odd part is the government that is standing behind us the strongest, the same government that the people of America ran from and defended against to have Freedom. Now they stand beside us fighting for what they did not want us to have 229 years ago. America has a lot of people who dislike us, many do not even know why. I think much of the dislike is based on envy, many people never liked the most popular kid in school simply because they couldnt be them. People resent the power, success, and freedom of America. Since many nations do not enjoy our success and cant seem to find a way to succeed, they would like to see us fail to be at their level. Take an alcoholic that quits drinking. All his drinking buddies will try to get him to drink again so they dont have to face the problem they have. Nations are the same but on a larger scale. No one wants someone else to be the superpower, they all want to be that. Problem is, the world needs a superpower to keep all the idiots like Hussain from destroying the world and himself along with it. Thank God that the superpower in the world is one that has enough sense to want freedom for everyone. Suppose World War Two had went the other way and Hitler would have won...where would we be today? There would not be a safe neighborhood anywhere in this country if we did not have police departments to keep the peace and protect us from chaos. The same applies for the world, it is getting smaller all the time, someone has to pay attention...do we really want a government like Iraq or North Korea being the world power? I think not. Nations may not agree with what we are doing, maybe they dont want the burden of having to be the one to keep the peace. No problem, step back and we will get the job done, but dont interfere while we are doing the job of protecting ourselves and everyone else in the world. There is not a corporation anywhere in the world that could operate sucessfully without management and supervisors, the world has gotten to the point where it is much like a large corporation with many different departments. I believe that individual people as a whole would understand what was happining a lot better if the politicians with their own agendas were not putting out so much rhetoric. I think we will find that the agenda the French government will have comes down to when we find the so called "weapons" in Iraq, many of the supplies that made those weapons will say "Made In France". That combined with the fact that Iraq owes France billions makes for a rather important agenda in the minds of their politicians. I personally believe our Canadian brothers are just as concerned with the safety of this continent as we are, after all, it comes down to an imaginairy line on a map. If our soil is attacked in the US, it is the same soil that the good people of Canada stand on. Saddam has merely been playing one side against the other for years, much like children play one parent against the other. Well Saddam, the parents got wise, even if mom and dad have to argue about it, off to reform school for you!
Thanks,
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Belair62
03-22-2003, 01:24 AM
No more "time-outs" for him....time for a final spanking.

ZL1O2IL
03-22-2003, 01:30 AM
I would like to put my two cents in - to my Canadian brothers - I have the high respect for Canadians - A number of years ago I attended a Firefighter convention in Toronto
which we had the Canadian Iran Ambassador as a guest who
had smuggled the American Embassey people into the Canadian
Embassy and kept them hidden from the Iranian military. When
the Ambassador came into the auditorium, there was a five minute standing ovation by 950 firefighters from United States and Canada and over 450 guests. He saved this people at great risk to himself and other Canadians at their Embassy. There was a movie made about it. I can tell you as
Canadians you have a friend from the United States and there are many more. God bless. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Winmon
03-22-2003, 01:51 AM
I did hear on CNN today that apparently France and Russia have oil deals pending w/ Iraq. Could this be the reason for their not agreeing with us?! Frankly, these anti war protestors, I just can't seem to understand what they are thinking. I mean come on, calling Bush a criminal!! Hussein and Bin Laden are the criminals here. Saying that it is about oil!?! If we wanted to take their oil, we could have taken it a LONG time ago. And how do the anti war people explain the fact that checks were written for the families of the suicide bombers by Hussein? Protestors say they want peace. Most of us want peace. Fact is there are nuts out there that do not. And until something is done w/ these people, we will not have peace, but more terrorist attacks. No, this war is about taking care of a small group of dictators who do nothing for their own country but take, it is not a war against the people of Iraq. Just my ranting................. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Denis
03-22-2003, 02:12 AM
Canadians are actually very apathetic about most everything, especially international events. I'm surprised at their reaction during the US national anthem -- personally, I think the real problem is that Montreal's hockey team sucks and the fans knew they were about to get whipped by the Islanders.

I know these things because I'm Canadian, I moved to the US from Montreal, and I have a shrine to Jean Beliveau.

http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/yenko.net/goalie.gif

whitetop
03-22-2003, 01:07 PM
We kicked the Canadians butt in the Great American-Canadian War of 1999. Saw it on South Park.

Belair62
03-22-2003, 05:23 PM
Now THAT is a cool gremlin !!!!!!!! Ya hoser !

Jeff Murphy
03-22-2003, 05:29 PM
Ken Taylor. Brave guy. My family was in Iran then too. My Pop had to organize a Canadian Forces Hercules to come in from Turkey to get all his people out of northern Iran. Scary times...

Jeff Murphy
03-22-2003, 05:38 PM
Canada has long been a country torn between its English and French past and its American future. Risking the wrath of my Quebecois friends, Montreal has been more French than anything else for a long time, in fact refusing to use English despite there being a requirement to do so by law (French and English are both legal national languages). I'm from British Columbia originally so I suppose that's the expected response. Seems like the locals are expressing the same cultural bias you might find if the US Soccer or Rugby teams went to play a match in Stade de France in Paris right now.

Oh and there was that one time during the World Series between the Jays and Braves when the Color Guard had the Canadian flag upside down... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

In the UK they had another big march today. London feels like an Islamic country sometimes. Blair clearly rolled the dice by committing to go ahead in the way that the good guys have. I think he'll be vindicated in the end, but the guy certainly has much bigger balls than Chretien (the Canadian PM of French descent).
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

yountto
03-23-2003, 01:02 AM
ATLANTA -- In their own apparent protest, Atlanta Thrashers fans made their own voices heard Friday night.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported Saturday that fans booed during the Canadian national anthem before the Thrashers' NHL game against the Ottawa Senators.

It might have been a response to events from Thursday night, when Montreal fans booed during the U.S. national anthem before the Canadiens' game against the New York Islanders.

Canadiens president Pierre Boivin issued an apology Friday. The Thrashers organization did the same that night.

"The entire Thrashers' organization regrets the actions of a small number of fans that behaved disrespectfully during the Canadian anthem tonight prior to the Thrashers' game against the Ottawa Senators," the statement read as printed in the newspaper.

"The Thrashers' organization firmly believes this type of behavior has no place in professional sports. We hope that this was an isolated incident and apologize to anyone who was offended, including the Canadian-born members of both teams."

More from ESPN...
Senators quickly teach Thrashers a little respect, 5-1
Todd White, a native of ...

President of Canadiens apologizes for fans' booing
Fans booed during the playing ...

ESPN Tools
Email story

Most sent

Print story

Daily email

MrMotion
03-23-2003, 04:30 PM
My driveway is connected to your driveway and any help Americans need Iam ready. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Belair62
03-24-2003, 12:27 AM
Looks like things are getting serious over there...tough road ahead...

copo9566aa
03-24-2003, 04:11 AM
My family are originating from Fall River Mass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif
And I support the US troops 100%. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

82z96ss
03-24-2003, 07:32 AM
Anyone watch the oscars last night? There was a person that won an oscar for best documentary. It was his first oscar. He used his time to tell the world -Shame on you President Bush.

Worthless people I think. Pres. Bush has my support. As for the troops in Iraq, the ones that keep me and my family safe at night, God Bless Ya'll, fight hard and come home safe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

MotownMadman
03-24-2003, 09:03 AM
I surely hope and pray we never have to face another terrorist attack in this country, this is our land and how dare they....but if it has to happen with no other way to avoid it, let them pick Hollywood! Ficticous President and ficticous war my ass, coming from people who make a living getting paid for being ficticous, get real!
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif

Mr70
03-24-2003, 12:01 PM
I enjoyed that Line by Host Steve Martin after Michael Moore won for best Documentary and made that Anti war speech,"The Teamsters Are Helping Him Into The Trunk Of His Limo!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Jeff H
03-24-2003, 01:07 PM
I don't watch that Hollywood junk and I'm glad I didn't because anyone saying anything against the president and what we're doing would have really p!ssed me off. And I agree, why don't the terrorists go after Hollywood and do us all a favor.

Seattle Sam
03-25-2003, 09:21 PM
Michael Moore is the person you refer to. The "documentary" he won an award for is a screed against the NRA and Charlton Heston, and is full of lies and inaccuracies (see http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html ). He is a left-wing radical political activist who has also brought us such fine works of art as "Roger & Me" (about how GM layoffs and plant closures affected his hometown) and "Stupid White Men" (about how Bush "stole the election" and should be removed by the United Nations).
Quite a character, what I would call an "America hater"
-Sam

BBIGG BLOCK 396
03-26-2003, 12:02 AM
I think he is a BIG ASS%&^*,should be barred from TV,and from making movies.Hell lets take up a collection so he can move to BAGDAD FOR GOOD!!maybe he can help rebuild Iraq!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gifMaybe the IRS will look closely at his tax structure to see if he owes any back taxes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Bobby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Belair62
03-26-2003, 12:57 AM
The reason the boys have fought and are fighting is so people like this can be free to express whatever they think.Good thing he is here...I think Saddam would have cut him in pieces already if he was there...I guess we even have to protect morons like him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

82z96ss
03-26-2003, 04:03 AM
God Bless America! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

ZL1mike
03-29-2003, 12:15 PM
Yes God bless America