PDA

View Full Version : Multi-car Garages

Zedder
04-08-2003, 07:01 PM
We've been working on a new home design that was supposed to provide room for my future toys. However, the building lot that we purchased is only 72 x 133 and it didn't accomodate 4 plus cars without looking like we had a bigger garage than our house (not that I minded, but the wife was not impressed) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif So, it looks like we might buy the lot adjadcent to ours also which would give is plenty of room for garages /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif (146 x 133!). Just wondered if any of you have pics of unique multi-car garages that you could share to provide some food for thought. These lots are on a nice residential street, so pole barns etc. won't cut it! Thanks,

budnate
04-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Howdy, we have built two new homes and have tried to improve on the garages both times, here is what I would have if I had more room and it sounds like you have a nice lot to work with,

8íX18í Garage doors

Deep enough to build a bench along the back wall, A Reeeaaaly long one, mine is big and I cannot believe how stuff accumulates on it, and have to fight at times to make a small work area.

Roof trusses Special design so you can store stuff in the attic. I did it on the last one and it has saved me big time, keeping stuff off the floor and upstairs, A nice lift to the attic would be nice, I saw one recently, a fella took a lift gate off a delivery truck and stuck it along a wall, very neat and looked pretty easy to do, sure would be nice for motors and tranny's, I cant seam to getíem up my ladder, lol

One bay for sure with a lift,

Put fake dormers on the building so it looks nice with your home and not a big barn

Seal the floor.

Overhead gas heat with enough BTUís to get it at least 80deg in there for painting.

Sprinkle the building, meaning overhead Fire sprinklers, just in case, plus it lowers the INS rate.

One stall for a paint booth if you have enough room.

One room sealed from the garage with the grinder, torches, sand blaster, etc, keeps the mess to one area.

And an office with a restroom is a must.

Cable TV for those easy weekends in the shop, I donít think I could work without mine.

Oh and the customary old Beer fridge covered in stickers, set at a perfect 33.5 deg, That one has saved allot of guys from expiring on the spot.

I am sure there is more but I am a simple guy and donít need much, lol.

P.S. The old saying about a happy wife and all is ok, well it works both ways, She can do pretty much what she wants to the home and you get a decent shop, worked for me, well sorta.

Good Luck, Bud. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

JChlupsa
04-08-2003, 09:13 PM
Bud, You forgot the Computer system that has internet so the wife cant see how much time you (us) really spend online on the Yenko and Camaro Sites.

budnate
04-08-2003, 09:37 PM
I thought everyone had one in the shop??? Actually I just put a Dell on DSL in my shop last week, lots of fun to check on things from the shop.

Jeff, do you have the cam specs handy on a 67' 295HP 350 Camaro Motor. I cant seem to find my notes,DOOHH! put them somewhere special so no-one would mess with them.
Toying with the idea of putting a 327 350hp cam in the car.

Thnx Bud.

Seattle Sam
04-08-2003, 09:45 PM
Don't forget to have UPS deliver to your "office" door instead of the house - this trick can save you lots of grief! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
-Sam

CWilliams
04-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Budnate-Is that your blue '67? I like the look of the spoilers on a '67. Nice car! I guess I told you I bought the '67 Granada Gold RS/SS right? Thanks to you and Jeff for helping on the numbers...its all there! I'd be interested in cam specs for the '67 350/295 as well.

budnate
04-08-2003, 11:05 PM
I miss that car something terrible, I think about it all the time, I sold it back in 88' to pay for school. I dont know how to exsplain it, You ever walk through a show and a car stops you in your tracks with the paint job? not the color but just the way it looks, That car would do that not that it was any better than some of the other cars, I still run into cars that do that to me, granted all the cars are arrow straight and the body lines are perfect, some of them just do that to guy??? One of those mysterys in life.

Post some pics of your car will ya! its been killing me to see it.

Bud.

Zedder
04-09-2003, 04:23 AM
Thanks Bud and others for the comments so far. Bud, nice garage! I like the car too (I hate to admit it on this site, but I much prefer '67 Camaros over '69's personally - I guess that explains why I've owned 27 '67's and only one '69 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ). I'll be at the land later this week and will take a pic or two to show the overall area. Most houses have three car attached garages, but I am thinking of doing two double garages joined in an L-shape with a big work area between the two garages. I saw this set-up when I went to see a '67 RS/SS that was for sale in Idaho a few years ago. As for heat, we're doing radiant floor heating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DjD
04-10-2003, 08:24 PM
No pic's, just how I've thought about doing it if I could and had limited space. If you start the design around the garage you can lay out a 6 car garage (3 car garage, 2 cars deep) with the second story of the house only extending over part of the garage floor space. The bay furthest from the house needs a tall celing to house the lift and at least 1/2 the middle bay should be left for garage loft storage. The rest of the space over the garage is for the house. Build the kitchen, a bath, dining, living/family rooms on the ground floor and the bedrooms, bathrooms and den/office upstairs.

For added usability have the end bay have a door out the back as well.

COPO
04-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Depending on the topography of your lot, you could have the garage underneath. Our new home has a double level basement. 3,200 s/f garage on the lowest level and then 3 additional floors for the wife and kids. Obviously adequate venting is important.

berger21
04-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Do not connect to the living space heating/cooling system as the smells
will go through pissing off the wife. It needs its own system.

Zedder
04-13-2003, 12:42 AM
Thanks to all for the replies. We visited the site a number of times this week and spoke to the developer and builder to get some feedback from them. In the end, it just doesn't make sense to invest another $150,000 for a second lot, so we will pare things back a bit and build an oversized three car garage (that can house at least two lifts!). Here is a pic of our current lot and the one we were considering buying...

Zedder
04-13-2003, 12:49 AM
Here is a pic of the view from our front yard. Behind those homes are hundreds of square miles of conservation lands. Really a very nice area - even if we can only get a three car garage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif We'll still go with the radiant heating, lots of light and 12 foot high ceilings...

DSYenko
04-13-2003, 05:14 AM
I know of a guy that could have afforded an extra lot but instead chose to have his home built on bridge I beams.He has 8 car above ground and 8 car under his home!No idea what he has for cars but im sure their worth keeping dry!The home is almost done,I might stop by someday to see if he'll talk cars.