PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Yenko style wheels?

CWilliams
04-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Looking for a set of Torque Thrust style wheels found on Yenko Camaro's and Chevelle's. They're aluminum 5 spoke with matt grey spokes. Any ideas where to buy?

Thanks-

KLONECO
04-08-2003, 08:09 PM
try this place http://www.vintagewheelworks.com/ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

CWilliams
04-08-2003, 10:05 PM
Bingo!!! Thanks.

Belair62
04-09-2003, 12:36 AM
Summit also carries them. Probably cheaper too.

KLONECO
04-09-2003, 02:35 PM
Belair, Summit carries the "VINTAGE WHEEL" BRAND? I only seen "AMERICAN RACING" brand. or is that what your meaning?

Belair62
04-09-2003, 04:05 PM
American Racing is what I meant..you referred to Torque Thrusts which is still their brand name for that type of wheel.

Mr Yenko
04-10-2003, 01:55 AM
CWilllams,
I think that you should look for the ORIGINAL style wheels that were made in the late 60's. I would put the effort in locating them then calling Jegs for instance and buying torque thrust wheels. It is getting alittle old seeing those wheels. There not even CLOSE. Sorry, Just my opinion. "MOF" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

Belair62
04-10-2003, 02:22 AM
I agree they are not close to originals.They aren't straight spokes and they aren't "D" spokes either.They are similar to a wheel they made years ago called a GT wheel.Lots of people run the new ones though.Paint the spokes with Aluma Blast and they look a whole lot better IMO.

Rat_Pack
04-10-2003, 01:16 PM
Actually they are close to the original Torque Thrust D's except the back of the spoke is not curved like the originals. The orginal D's, I am talking 1967-69, were curved to clear the disc brakes on all of the GM cars, including the Corvette. The current ones will not clear the calipers on any GM 60's musclecars that have the 4-piston calipers.

I agree with Belair if you buy a new set paint the centers with Eastwoods "Alum-a-blast" paint for a more correct appearance like the originals. American did not paint the centers of any Torque Thrusts unlike the other knock off brands of that wheel: Rocket, Appliance, Mickey Thompson, International, ET, and others. I prefer the orginal Torque Thrusts with the pointed straight spokes over any of the D's..................RatPack.............

JoeC
04-10-2003, 01:31 PM
My Camaro has a set of American's on it from about 1990. They fit on the car with the original 4 piston disk brakes. The wheels look like they were re-machined to make them fit. These wheels have taper fit lugs not counter bore lugs like the newer wheels. I don't know if these were an early edition wheel or what but they look like the newer ones.

TDW
04-10-2003, 03:23 PM
I need a set of the early ones.They have to clear the 4 piston calipers. Anyone know where to find them? Thanks....Tony

CWilliams
04-10-2003, 04:56 PM
Didn't really want the real thing, just like the look for my '67 and I think the cast colored spokes would go well with granada gold paint. I'll let someone with a Yenko hunt down the real wheel, I just like the style. What about the American racing 200s like the '01 intimidator uses?
Thanks for the input- maybe this isn't the wheel the car?

Rat_Pack
04-10-2003, 06:05 PM
Joe, if your wheels use the tapered seat lug nuts then those are the current style Americans and they must have been machined to clear the calipers if you are not running spacers. The distance from the back of the spoke to the mounting surface of the hub is 1/2" and you need 3/4" clearance for those 4-piston calipers. The early edition of these wheels when they re-released them in the mid 80's used a normal short shank type lug nut with washer that has been used for years on mag wheels. Sometime shortly after that they switched to the tapered seat lug nut due to problems with the lug nuts loosening up. Even the new Cragar SS mags made today will not clear them, which stinks as I was wanting to run a set on my car..............RatPack............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

Belair62
04-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Rat Pack the old D also had pointed spokes which is really what makes them look nice.I don't know why they chose the GT wheel to re-pop and call it a D. Wish they would have put the nice pointed spoke on the new wheel as it would have made it much better looking.

KLONECO
04-10-2003, 07:08 PM
Maybe you did not read the entire post. VINTAGE WHEEL has the pointed spokes!!! model V40 wheel! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

Belair62
04-10-2003, 11:45 PM
I was a part of the entire post !!! New Torque Thrust"D"= no pointed spoke....old Torque Thrust "D" = pointed spoke...no one said anything about the spokes on a Vintage wheel I don't think.

KLONECO
04-11-2003, 01:37 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Whatever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Belair62
04-11-2003, 01:53 AM
And I guess Vintage V40 pointed spokes too....happy ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

T Billigen
04-11-2003, 02:07 AM
Did anyone buy these wheels from Vintage Wheels? They look pretty close to the old American racing wheels. I am thinking about buying some for my car but would like to get an opinion from someone that has bought them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

KLONECO
04-11-2003, 02:13 AM
Just can"t seem to please (or help around here)! yea I am real happy now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif thanks for your concern tho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Belair62
04-11-2003, 02:31 AM
Come on Klone take a Valium...I wasn't slamming you just pointing out what I thought the thread was about..I just didn't see any mention of what the spokes looked like on the Vintage wheels. Tom...the wheels I have seen are very nice...

T Billigen
04-11-2003, 02:45 AM
Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

KLONECO
04-11-2003, 03:04 AM
That was my point....I posted the VINTAGE sight!! and some
how it got locked on the AMERICAN RACING style /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif no biggie, just thought you missed something? I am realizing this is a thing around here. I will just "clique" off into the sunset as usual. Belair you still the man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

whitetop
04-11-2003, 02:42 PM
The original American TT still show up at the swaps on a regular basis. I see alot of them in pairs for some reason.
A friend of mine picked up a a pair of 15x6 for his trailer he pulls behind his '34 Chevy street rod for something like $25 each. Small swap meets with 30-50 vendors are still the best. Just guys cleaning out their garages looking for a few bucks. Carlisle forget it.

Belair62
04-11-2003, 03:40 PM
OK Kloneco thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif I don't think it's a clique or anything..I don't really know but a handful of people around here either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

KLONECO
04-12-2003, 03:30 AM
OK since this is a wheel thread....how about some nice center caps other than "AMERICAN RACING " another site, brand ,type? kinda close? neat,nice and new!!! plain will do fine also, any ideas?

Unreal
04-12-2003, 12:02 PM
I saw a set last summer with center caps from SS wheels. The guy had cut off the top of the American centers so that the ss centers would seat all the way down at the bolt ears. Then epoxied it in place. Looked really nice. I did a double take, and the guy started laughing...he said everyone does a double take!

KLONECO
04-15-2003, 03:45 AM
BUT....If they aren't perfectly cut....I would think some road WOBBLE would happen don't you?....seems kinda tough to cut,glue and center them.....just a thought? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Unreal
04-15-2003, 05:01 PM
Seems like he said the ID of the SS centers was almost exactly equal to the OD of the A/R centers at the base. Even if that's not so, I would think you could come up with something to shim it so it stayed centered.

Anyway, it looked centered while standing still in the parking lot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CWilliams
04-16-2003, 05:26 AM
Guys- what wheel would look best on '67 granada gold rs/ss, black top? Right now it has the big SS hubcaps, 14" wheels.
Thanks.

budnate
04-16-2003, 02:09 PM
Personal preference I guess, I like the factory Rallyís with redlines,
My other set of wheels is a Big and small Polished Drag Centerlines,
For the day 2 look.

Bud.

Belair62
04-16-2003, 11:18 PM
Cragars with redlines !!!

Seattle Sam
04-18-2003, 03:54 AM
Clint,
Are those the original "mag-style" five spoke hubcaps? I've been looking for a set of those...
-Sam

CWilliams
04-18-2003, 03:02 PM
Sam,
I'll try to post some pics later today. If its what you're looking for I may now of some, maybe not a full set though.

Rat_Pack
04-22-2003, 01:11 AM
Belair & KLONECO, here is a picture of an original Torque Thrust D. Compare the differences noted on the picture to the ones on the 69 Camaro at the link below. The ones on the Camaro are the current offerings by American.

Belair you were correct in your statement that the spokes were pointed more than the new ones. I just wanted to find a picture first.............RatPack.............

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/36655-69%20ss396%20rf.JPG

69rsz28
04-22-2003, 03:29 AM
These may be of interest to someone. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10076&item=2412329 326

Rat_Pack
04-22-2003, 11:21 AM
Those are kind of hard to find with the 1/2" positive offset in a 14 X 6 wheel. Most of the street rodders look for those to use on the fronts of their fendered cars. They look really good on 67 and earlier Chevy II's but are a little narrow on the Camaro, IMO. That set of wheels looks great and boy has the price of those gone up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Hey Joe, what color of base silver did you use on those wheels? That looks better than the normal "aluma blast"................RatPack.....................

Charley Lillard
04-23-2003, 01:47 AM
Here is a Polished TT "D"

Charley Lillard
04-23-2003, 01:48 AM
The rear

Camaroinaz
04-23-2003, 05:29 AM
Charley,
What wheels did Mark use on the Mule? Thanks.

Mark

Supercar_Kid
04-23-2003, 12:50 PM
Hey guys FYI, just wanted to let you know there was an error in the listing, they're actually ZERO positive offset not 1/2". This is cast into the backside of the wheel so make no mistake, they're definitely zero, an amendment has been made to the listing.

02-13-2004, 03:03 AM
We just put an original set on Ebay of the Yenko Atlas wheels. Check out our web site also AKHWheels.com
Terry