PDA

View Full Version : 69 427 ZLX Motion Phase III

SuperCars
04-23-2003, 03:09 AM
Here it is, 427 ZLX Motion Phase III. A car to describe "Beast from back East".

http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/yenko.net/69ZLX02.jpg

SuperCars
04-23-2003, 03:13 AM
ZLX Phase III engine, vertex magneto, tunnel ram and two 1100 CFM Holley Dominators. Hit "tilt" on the Dyno.

http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/yenko.net/69ZLX16.jpg

SuperCars
04-23-2003, 03:17 AM
Another angle.

http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/yenko.net/69ZLX13.jpg

55chevy
04-23-2003, 05:00 AM
Absolutly awesome! You are a lucky man Kevin.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Ed

Rat_Pack
04-23-2003, 05:42 AM
Kevin, the car looks nice (still should have restored it the way it left Motion IMO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)but where is the MP decal that was on the 1/4 glass window originally?............RatPack................ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

Jeff Murphy
04-23-2003, 09:24 AM
Is it just me or did the pictures disappear??

SuperCars
04-23-2003, 02:48 PM
RatPack, You are right I still need to put a Motion decal on it. As far as restoration, you must mean (in your opinion) you would've re-painted it the way the "private owner" had it re-painted in the non-factory color of white as was seen in the magazine article with the Gaudy "MR H" in 2 foot high letters, and other "non-significant" insignias of the private owner, etc?

We've been through this before, but in the 3 pages of Motion invoices there was no price for a paint color change, and nothing about Lettering, so the private owner would have had to do that himself. It would be safe to say that Joel wouldn't have painted it for him for free. But I do understand your opinion was to do it the way it was in a photograph for the "magazine".

In a similar example, I'm not sure anyone would restore a Hugger Orange Yenko to white paint job, just because it had been re-painted white by a prior owner as featured in a magazine though. My opinion is, that since it wasn't re-painted by Motion, and it was the private owner who made the paint color change with the ugly lettering/logos of himself as a non-famous private owner, it was just not what I wished to do.

sYc
04-23-2003, 02:58 PM
Kevin, Awesome looking car. Looks different (was in primer) then when I saw it last. And, as usual, regardless of how much research you do and how correct a car is, someone will always find fault.

Seattle Sam
04-23-2003, 03:42 PM
Kevin, Talk about "shock and awe" - that does it for me! I hope you can bring her out to the Seattle show in August..
-Sam

COPO
04-23-2003, 05:26 PM
Kevin, awesome car! Will we get to see it at the Reunion this Summer? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

Kim_Howie
04-23-2003, 06:23 PM
NOW THAT'S A CAMARO!!!! nice car Kevin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

copo9566aa
04-23-2003, 07:36 PM
Nice car Kevin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Before the Motion cars it was my favorite Musclecars,
but more and more it drops in my regard ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif

For what ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Probably the history of Motion......

hvychev
04-24-2003, 12:07 AM
Wow.......

Kevin are those the original style wheels that came on that car when it was new?

Rat_Pack
04-24-2003, 01:46 AM
Kevin, I am not finding fault with your car as some might think. It is just that I have 2 NOS, not repro, Motion decals and figured you might need one to replace the original. Since you already have one then I will hang onto these and use them for another Motion car that I might just find in the future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

Tom, sounds to me like the same situation as the Douglass cars, research, research, verify, and then get hammered that it is still not correct eventhough research proves it to be correct. Again, I did not find any fault with the car. Heck mine is not correct in every detail, at least not now.

I found this car in 1993 before anyone on this board even knew about it. I know its history and so does Kevin which I have explained to him over the phone and posted here in the past also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif Whether the paint scheme is right or wrong to me, you, or anyone else, it is still Kevins car and he can paint it like he wants to; and I do not have a problem with that. There are other documented "supercars" that were restored in the wrong color to suit the owners personal tastes and there is nothing wrong with that either. I myself would prefer black over brown, or orange over white and would probably do the same thing if I did not like the original color, it is only paint. If it wasn't for Tim Lopata (copolocator)relocating this car, it would still be sitting in Georgia unrestored in the back of an old garage covered in dust. Thanks to him, Mike, & Kevin, the car lives again....................RatPack..........

SuperCars
04-24-2003, 03:09 AM
Troy, thanks for the compliments. I guess I'm being a little defensive, but in retrospect we are probably in agreement and saying the same thing in a round about way. Which is in this situation, the car could have been re-done either way, and still not be incorrect; as it is personal preference.

I keep pointing out Motion didn't re-paint it as it is not on the Motion invioces. As the white color change was by the owner, you could restore it with the private owner white re-paint color, or you could restore it to it's original GM factory hugger orange color. I choose my way, but I understand your opinion/thoughts on the other way it could have been done, which wouldn't have been incorrect either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Belair62
04-24-2003, 03:31 AM
Kevin....the Super Cat was hard to believe...now this car !!! Sixties can I come to the next fire sale ???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif

whitetop
04-24-2003, 03:36 AM
Like Troy, I probably would have done the car in white with the graphics as it was featured in Chevy Action magazine. To be truly correct on how the car left Motion it probably should have been all hugger orange (and maybe remanants of either Z-28 or SS hockey stripes-not sure of the cars pedigree) with an unpainted gelcoat grey hood and scoop. But who would go that far?
Of course, Kevin can now paint the car white with graphics and be full circle on how the car was progessively modified back in '74. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Wouldn't that be a kicker for a correct resto?

That being said I really like this car because it has the the style of mods I remember when first getting into cars back in the '74-'75 era. I'm probaby one of the few dinosaurs that actually think tires that stick out in the rear looks really cool.

hvychev
04-24-2003, 03:39 AM
Whitetop your not the only one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SuperCars
04-24-2003, 03:56 AM
Belair, I don't know that you'd call them fire sales. But I'd say he's got money to burn, and make a good fire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But, I have to say thanks to him, and also to Bob at Wonderlake Auto In Hebron IL, who did the work. Bob did a great job, worked hard to accomodate everything, at a fair price. And, I can't forget a plug for Ron Norman at McHenry Classic who supplied parts. I recommend buying Camaro/Chevy parts from him; price is right and you can't beat the service.

budnate
04-24-2003, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm probaby one of the few dinosaurs that actually think tires that stick out in the rear looks really cool.

Yea and you guys like the buzzing sound when they hit the wheelwells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Bud.

whitetop
04-24-2003, 04:10 AM
Budnate
That's what airshocks are for!!!

budnate
04-24-2003, 04:54 AM
Oh yea, I forgot, Then they love it when you go air born over every little Bump!, Laughfing with you, my First car had 10" Cragers on the Back with air shocks, and a lic plate frame "no Fat Chicks or I will Bottom Out"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

Ahh the good old days.

Bud.

55chevy
04-24-2003, 06:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That being said I really like this car because it has the the style of mods I remember when first getting into cars back in the '74-'75 era. I'm probaby one of the few dinosaurs that actually think tires that stick out in the rear looks really cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. And don't forget side pipes and slapper bars. They gave these cars the 'right look'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Ed

Rat_Pack
04-24-2003, 11:52 AM
Dave, I'll take the old school fat tires and a mean "rake" over the o-ring tired G-machines of today. (Before some get their feelings hurt I do like some of those G-machines but they are not my preference.) However I do prefer to see the tallest and widest tires you can fit in the rear wheelwells without sticking out of the sides. Look at the current issue of PHR with Tony Bartones 69 Camaro in it. It has 315/60R-18 tires on the rear, those suckers are 33" tall! That is what is on my Suburban. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

Budnate, as a famous hot rod builder once told me "if ain't rubbin' then it ain't right". You made me remember an old license plate that was on the front of a Chevelle that I bought. It said something similar as your tag frame: Fat Tires = NO FAT CHICKS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif.......RatPack............

budnate
04-24-2003, 03:35 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Bud. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

Belair62
04-24-2003, 11:37 PM
Kevin...last time I went past ( I couldn't go down his street without proper passports) there did seem to be a smoldering fire....I thought they were just burning leaves left over from last fall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Seattle Sam
04-24-2003, 11:41 PM
I was sure someone had scanned in the article for this car when it was "in white", but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone remember where it was posted, and would you be kind enough to point me there?

Thanks!
-Sam

bbdon
04-25-2003, 12:52 AM
Here it is, scroll down to the seventh post from the top.
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB3&Number=29002&page=&vi ew=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

396L35
04-25-2003, 04:18 AM
I bow to the man that can handle that rocket, it looks fun. Can I have a RIDE??????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

Seattle Sam
04-25-2003, 08:13 PM
Thanks bbdon! And thanks for scanning and posting the first time!
-Sam

MosportGreen66
04-26-2003, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I bow to the man that can handle that rocket, it looks fun. Can I have a RIDE??????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey man can you post some pictures of your 69 vintage X22 drag car, I bet that car it damn cool too!

-Dan
[email protected]

mc25t190
04-26-2003, 02:45 PM
hot ride! tape it and let us hear it running! theres a lot of horses in kevins barn! i'd hate to count em all! i really would love to count them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

SuperCars
04-26-2003, 03:32 PM
It only costs you a round trip air fare! Come to the Seattle Camaro show in August.

mc25t190
04-26-2003, 04:34 PM
that i might have to take you up on! it'll probably take a while to make it to the other end of the garage. i might get lost half way. the next trip west i'll plan on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif