PDA

View Full Version : Illinois/Indiana natives: need trip advice

Chevy454
04-30-2003, 09:02 PM
I'm headed to Martin, Michigan for a race in a few weeks, and I'm debating just how to get there. I've gone to Stanton through both Chicago and Indy, but I am undecided which is better. I always go to St. Louis and over, it's just a matter of where I go from there. From St. Louis, Mapquest said 456 miles (7 1/2 hours) to Martin through Chicago, or 511 miles (8 1/2 hours) to Martin through Indy.

So, any of you Illinois or Indiana natives got any tips? My main worry is that I will be rolling into Chicago about 5pm or so, right in the middle of rush hour, in a crew cab TopKick with a 46ft 5th wheel...not exactly the perfect commuter vehicle.

So, is there an easy way through or around Chicago other than Indy? Is 31N out of Indy decent?

How would YOU go?

Belair62
04-30-2003, 09:10 PM
Rob...go thru Indy if you want to keep your sanity...coming thru here at 5pm will cost you the extra hour anyway I bet.

JChlupsa
04-30-2003, 09:14 PM
Indy is the way. Got my first driving lesson from my dad during rush hour traffic on a friday afternoon on the Chicago Loop. Not fun when your only 15 at the time and have a old PLY S/Wagon to get around in. All he did was laugh the whole trip home to Freeport.

Or adjust your times to miss all the traffic but when does Chicago not have traffic.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
04-30-2003, 09:27 PM
I'd go through Indy as well, I have tried to get through both cities during rush hour traffic during various business trips - Indy was much easier. Indy has that nice beltway, and puts you back on Rt. 31 which takes you straight North!

John Brown
04-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Rob, If you go thru Indy and north on 31, you'll go right thru South Bend. If you were to get here a day early Terry and I could help you make your Yenko a little....... "more stock". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

MotownMadman
04-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Rob,
Martin is too far south for this to work, but next time you go to Stanton head straight up into Wisconsin and follow the lake, you can take yourself and your vehicles across on the ferry that crosses lake Michigan and lands in Ludington which is due west of Stanton. Really beautiful trip. When you head to Martin Rob get in touch with me and I will shoot down and meet you since it is rather close to my home.
Thanks,
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Chevy454
05-01-2003, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the replies, fellas...I was actually leaning toward Indy, and you guys sealed the deal. I've been up and back both ways, but except for some truck trouble EVERY TIME I've been through Terra Haute (changing rear wheel studs on my dually beside I-70 @ 9pm sucked!), the Indy route seemed smoother!

John:
That's a thought, and an EXTREMELY generous offer, but it may not be possible...I'm picking SmallHurst's car up somewhere along the way, and I'm not sure when he can leave work-wise. It would make for a nice "free day", though! Think you or "the Pennington gang" could manage to get my 3116 pump/bracket to the track from your buddy up there?

Motown:
We're racing on May 23rd, and I think the gates open @ 9am. We gotta be out of there by 5pm, so it should be a full day. Look for the big, black truck/trailer combo with Missouri tags...

KLONECO
05-01-2003, 02:24 AM
Try draggin a truck & trailer through the skyway!!! BIG BIG MISTAKE!!!! Better bring a credit card!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif

Chevy454
05-01-2003, 02:32 AM
Matt:

That ferry thing sounds interesting! How about a price, how long a ride, etc.? The boys might get a kick out of that!

KLONECO
05-01-2003, 02:41 AM
No way can a person go from Mo. to Wisc. and enjoy the ride! NoT IN A STRAIGHT LINE!!! via the lake? nope! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif

Chevy454
05-01-2003, 02:48 AM
Not sure I'm following you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

KLONECO
05-01-2003, 02:51 AM
CONGESTION.....TRAFFIC...LIGHTS...STOP AND GO!!!!! YUCK!!!!!FAR FROM A STRAIGHT SHOT!!! WEAR AND TEAR! ON YOU & YOUR TOW VEHICLE!

KLONECO
05-01-2003, 02:57 AM
WHAT SEEMS TO BE A LONG WAY AROUND........IS MUCH CHEAPER,SMOOTHER,AND FASTER!!!! ANYONE WHO LIVES NEAR CHI TOWN, NW. INDIANA WOULD AGREE!

KLONECO
05-01-2003, 03:00 AM
AVOID IT ALL TOGETHER!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif DESIGN YOUR OWN MAP!!!AROUND IT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Chevy454
05-01-2003, 03:24 AM
We made a trip north of Green Bay a couple of months ago. We hit 39 in Bloomington and stayed away from Chicago and Milwaukee...it seemed like pretty easy driving. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

KLONECO
05-01-2003, 03:39 AM
Well, I would say you avoided the area!!!! WHEW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif THOSE THAT LIVE IT...OR HAVE DRIVIN IT!!! KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

JChlupsa
05-01-2003, 03:42 AM
Should have went 26 miles to the west of Rockford and see if the 69 Fathom Green Yenko Camaro was still around. Also some other nice Nova's 69/70 (BBC) are still in that area along with the WildFire Camaro that is said to be undergoing a resto, back to the yellow with blue flames.

COPO PETE
05-01-2003, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Rob, If you go thru Indy and north on 31, you'll go right thru South Bend. If you were to get here a day early Terry and I could help you make your Yenko a little....... "more stock". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Peter

John Brown
05-01-2003, 04:34 PM
Rob, No B/S this time. I checked on your pump & bracket last night. I'll be delivering it to Martin myself, unless it jumps of the truck and and can find its way to Missouri sooner.

As for your trip route, I'd go I-55 north to I-80 east, staying south of Chi-town then following I-94 east all the way to Kalamazoo, then US 131 North to Martin.

You don't get into Chicago proper this way, you stay south of town. It doesn't guarantee you won't have any traffic grief, just be sure NOT to take I-94 NORTH into town /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Besides, you'll look like another Semi and the cars will try to stay away from you.

US 31 north of Indy to South bend is a 4-lane money machine for the state, plus there are way too many stop lights, both on US31 in Indiana and US131 in Michigan. John

moparts
05-01-2003, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Besides, you'll look like another Semi and the cars will try to stay away from you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Rob they have seen you drive!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

MotownMadman
05-01-2003, 08:21 PM
Rob,
The ferry trip is something you dont want to miss if you are ever heading to Stanton. You can avoid all the traffic by going around Chicago on the west side then head east towards the lake. Most maps show the ferry line across the lake, it docks in Ludington Michigan. It is about a three hour trip and if I remember correctly it is about $45 per vehicle, or $75 if you have a trailer. It runs from April to October and is a very enjoyable experience. I am a bit South east of Ludington and use the ferry every chance I get if I have to go into Wisconsin instead of driving around the lake. If I manage to aquire the famous parked Wisconsin Yenko the old girl will get a breath of fresh air coming across lake Michigan. With my luck if I managed to get the car after all these years the dam ferry would sink! If you want more info on the ferry let me know and I will get exact rates, schedules, and phone numbers and post the info here for everyone.
Thanks,
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

JChlupsa
05-03-2003, 12:21 AM
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficinfo/index.htm

Good travelling info esp with summer around the corner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

SmallHurst
05-03-2003, 12:22 AM
Hey Rob,

I think it would be easiest for me to meet up with you at Collinsville. If we tried to meet up closer to 10 it might make for less stressful times getting around Chi-town. If we need to stop off to make your car "more stocker", then we can make things happen, my car is just along for the ride! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

SmallHurst
05-03-2003, 12:33 AM
I was just looking at a map of the St. Louis are and see that getting over the Big Muddy on I-70 might be a little difficult. I was looking at possibly meeting up at an area around I-270 and I-55. Let me know what looks good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

HoosierDaddy
05-05-2003, 02:35 AM
Rob, I70 in downtown Indy is under major construction...they always do this about the time 400-500k people show up for Indy 500. If you plan on going through Indy take I465 around the city.
Later, Chris