PDA

View Full Version : chrome & black Yenko badges???

John
05-08-2003, 12:05 AM
Did any of the Yenko cars come with "chrome & black" yenko badges? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Supercar_Kid
05-08-2003, 12:32 AM
As far as my bro's photographic records show, these weren't used at all until 1970. They didn't have pins on the back like the 69 painted emblems, and were chrome plated. They attach using double faced tape. The Deuces used these emblems, but had the centers painted red white and blue instead of the black. (different than the non chromed 69 versions with pins.) I guess it would be possible for a 70 Deuce or 2 to slip through with black and chrome emblems by mistake, (Marlin might know) but these were SUPPOSED to be reserved for the "regular" cars and trucks Yenko sold... They used these for many years throught the 70s, and I've seen them on everything from farm trucks to station wagons. There are also at least 2 different casting runs of these, with very slight differences in the "Yenko" typeface.

Chevy454
05-08-2003, 01:00 AM
Good info, kid. So the Deuce emblems were different than the Vega emblems? Any idea why?

Supercar_Kid
05-08-2003, 01:23 AM
Actually, we have some original pics of Yenko Vegas with 2 different types of emblems... the Black and Chrome ones, AND the 69 style fully painted ones... there is also variations to placement of the emblems...Some of the photos we have are of prototype Vegas, and may differ from the "normal" established methods of emblem placement and emblem type. I'll have to go back through and take a closer look, i hadn't thought about the Vega... I believe the one with the 69 style emblems was actually the Yellow Turbo Stinger prototype, as these are some of the few color pics we have, but there appears to be another Stinger with 69 style emblems in another photo.. although its sort of hard to tell for certain in a black and white photo.

Chevy454
05-08-2003, 02:09 AM
If I recall correctly, our Vega has the red/white/blue emblems.

sYc
05-08-2003, 02:15 AM
Our '71 Yenko Stinger Vega has the painted RWB emblems on it, which no doubt are original. This matches what is listed on the original spec sheet we have for the Yenko Vegas. When I bought my Yenko Camaro, it had two RWB emblems and one BC, and all appeared to be original, as was the paint and stripes. As I checked with prior owners, I found out that in the eraly '70s, one emblem was either lost or stolen, so they contacted Yenko to get a replacement. They received the BC one.

Supercar_Kid
05-08-2003, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I bought my Yenko Camaro, it had two RWB emblems and one BC, and all appeared to be original, as was the paint and stripes. As I checked with prior owners, I found out that in the eraly '70s, one emblem was either lost or stolen, so they contacted Yenko to get a replacement. They received the BC one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom,
JBB here...
That makes sense to me! It does seem odd they used the "pinned" 69 style emblems on the Vega in 71, but used the stick on type in 70 on the Nova... I guess they decided drilling holes was still easier than hand painting the chrome emblems red white and blue! I do have pictures of SEVERAL 71 Vegas, both coupe and sportwagon with the stick on black and chrome emblems, so the boys at Yenko probably just stuck whatever was laying around/leftover/etc. from their 69/70 projects on the Vegas. Also on the topic of Yenko Vegas... do you know what ever happened to the Vega that was given away through the Group 7 Oil filters promotion? It was supposedly to be a Turbo car, and although Yenko didn't "sell" complete Yenko Turbo Vegas, I'm wondering if they could have "given" one away?? I have some reason to believe this giveaway car MAY have actually been a turbo car...it was at least striped as one.... got any info on it?