PDA

View Full Version : Famous Racers

Mr70
05-12-2003, 04:05 PM
I was wondering where all the old names are Today?
Like Jungle Jim,Gene Snow,TV Tommy Ivo,Art Arfons,Tom McKeown,to name a few.Add anyother names as well.
If anybody knows the where abouts of anyone,dead or alive,please post it here.
I am just curious to see how these classic names have kept on with the rest of us.

SS427
05-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Rick,
Jungle Jim died in a Corvette crash several years ago. There is quite a story about him, his girlfriend and his career on one of the many sites on the net.
Rick

55chevy
05-12-2003, 05:23 PM
I think Art Arfons is still driving/building Green Monsters isn't he? Twin helocopter jet powered tractor pullers. Not definite though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Ed

whitetop
05-12-2003, 08:57 PM
TV Tommy, McEwen, Snow, Prudomme, Garlits, Jenkins, Sox & martin, Dyno Don, Larson, McCandless, The Greek, Fast Eddie Shartman, Akron Arlen, Maverick, Beswick, Leal, Poole, Judy Lilly, Landy, Bagshaw, Roush (Gapp & Roush), H Platt, Proffitt all doing fine.

Not sure about Richie Zul, Bill "The Professor" Blandings (MIMI cars) who was in his late '50's in the early '70's, Dick Grotheer, Shirley Shahan, Reed Wheisant, Jim Nicholl, Shay Nichols, Bo Laws, Wally Booth, Ed Miller.

No longer with us: Lee Shephard, Dave Strickler, Dick Harrell, Dick Moroso, Pete Robinson, John 'The Zookeeper" Mulligan, Mickey Thompson

olredalert
05-12-2003, 10:09 PM
------I lived near the Arfons brothers as a kid and used to follow their antics closely.I have lost track a little bit but,I believe I have heard of some tractor pulling going on there.The Arfons shop was close to a very big military-style junkyard,and they used all types of stuff out of that yard in all the world speed attempts.Some really inventive guys!!!!!!!!!!.........Bill S

T Billigen
05-12-2003, 11:16 PM
I remember talking to Tommy Ivo in 1969 at Keystone Drag strip in New Alexandria, Pa. He was driving a twin engine, Buick powered dragster. He seemed like a pretty nice fellow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Salvatore
05-13-2003, 12:15 AM
Don Grotheer and Irv Berringhaus both ran Pro Stock Hemi cars. I believe both have passed. Wally Booth is still around and Reid Whisant is still in Atlanta. His son runs Pro Stock and does well with a Cavalier. Sam

micky69396
05-13-2003, 03:08 AM
I actually owned TV Tommy Ivos Charger funny car body two year ago and sold it. It went back to California where it is being restored now. Tommy has a website tommyivo.com some cool photos.

Mr70
05-17-2003, 12:29 AM
Thanks Guys.
Your knowledge in this area amazes me.
Keep up,with keeping up with them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

MotownMadman
05-22-2003, 11:05 AM
Along with Art Arfons doing tractor pulling, last I knew the first guy to do a V-8 Chevy powered Harley drag bike, "The Michigan Madman" E.J. Potter, is alive and doing well near Ionia Michigan, and also doing tractor pulls, last time I watched him pull he had a tractor with six blown big block Chevys pounding the ground in unison. If my memory is anywhere near correct I believe it was the early sixties when he bolted a 283 crossways in a Harley frame, direct chain drive, no trans or clutch, they would put the bike on a stand and push it off at enough RPM that he left in a hole shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

juliosz
05-22-2003, 12:21 PM
Whitetop,
In your "not sure about" section, you mentioned Wally Booth. The last I heard about Wally is that he and Dick Arrons split up from their engine business in Berkly, MI several years ago. Dick stayed on with the engine business (which just recently folded) and Wally started kind of a wholesale speed parts business which I don't know if it still exists. The last time I spoke to Wally (about ten years ago), he was really getting into breeding livestock in Wisconsin (dairy cows I believe) and he was checking with a few folks on selling what he had left over from his AMC days (aluminum engine block, and some infamous but unfortunately "pourous" cut and paste cylinder heads). Kind of amazing when you think about the sucess he and Dick Arrons had with only limited R&D help from AMC and free parts. That was the best deal AMC would give them even when they became reasonably sucessful. Booth/Arrons and Wolverine chassis (Tom Smith) ended up being a pretty decent combination.

juliosz

68 Z/28

olredalert
05-22-2003, 01:06 PM
MM,

-------Watched E.J.Potter run the entire quarter on the back wheel once at New England Dragway.The front wheel was at least a foot off the ground thru the lights where I was standing.Not showing off you understand,but making the fastest run he could possibly muster!I have been a fan of his ever since.............Bill S

Belair62
05-23-2003, 01:50 AM
Wow MM...I thought E.J. Potter passed away a long time ago...glad to hear he is still kicking.

Z28fan
05-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Here's a pic of "The Michigan Madman" from a 1998 copy of Hot Rod Magazine.
It states-[ QUOTE ]
Potter ran 10-flats at over 164 in the quarter... and is still with us.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://pstr-m05.ygpweb.aol.com/data3/008/42/92/FD/D0/4bPmq0TglF6SsoRJe9hU8LLehwOnU0i20180.jpg

MotownMadman
05-23-2003, 07:30 PM
And you guys wonder who "My Idol" is, Michigan Madman, Motown Madman, Hmmmm....coincedence?
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Belair62
05-23-2003, 09:28 PM
Yeah but I bet he doesn't have a Pony Tail !!! That must have been a wild ride !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Seattle Sam
05-23-2003, 10:25 PM
I think I remember reading that this thing wouldn't hold a clutch, so they started it on that funky stand in gear, then kicked it off there to launch it. Does that ring any bells?
-Sam

SS427
05-23-2003, 10:46 PM
That's correct Sam.

Z28fan
05-24-2003, 04:46 PM
You're particially correct Sam. I found another article in the August 2001 "Hot Rod" that shows more shots of a more modern bike that E.J. has built. Accordinding to the article he has a lever to lock the clutch in and then the bike is pulled by a tow vehicle to start it. He then disengages the clutch and disconnects the tow rope. Pushes the bike to the starting line while running and puts it up on an over center rear wheel stand using a long lever. While the rear tire is off the ground, he engages the clutch, tachs the motor up to get the rear tire spinning. When he's ready he simply releases the front brakes and rocks the bike forward off the stand and all hell breaks loose. Sounds like a fun time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

Picture of E.J. with more modern hilborm injected bike. (http://pstr-m05.ygpweb.aol.com/data3/003/5E/24/92/67/EVvEylD4jDpo8szHuzNOMDOCXaVnVKA-0180.jpg)

Z28fan
05-24-2003, 04:49 PM
And another. E.J. and the "Widowmaker" in action! (http://pstr-m05.ygpweb.aol.com/data3/002/4F/3E/E6/20/50HV7T6we+nEBCpcvnatqcuaJjPwTa9Y0180.jpg)

MotownMadman
05-24-2003, 04:57 PM
"Widowmaker" is the same nane he gave his pulling tractor.
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Seattle Sam
05-24-2003, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Jeff S!
Motown, "Widowmaker" seems more appropriate for the bike! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Reminds me of the old question,
"What is the difference between racing and other sports such as baseball, football, and basketball?"

"You only need one ball to play those other sports!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Sam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

MotownMadman
05-24-2003, 06:27 PM
Sam, you would have to see his tractor in action! EJ didnt always win, but some of his farmyard concepts made for the Greatest Show On Earth! He had that six engine nitro burning monster jumping 3 feet off the ground while pulling near the end of the track. EJ has always had that "No Fear" balls to the wall approach, it is absolutely astounding that he is still with us, the most amazing thing is to talk to him he has that mild mannered good old country boy Clark Kent persona, yet get him near his machinery and he turns into Superman, Dale Earnhardt, and the Tasmanian Devil all rolled into one. It is an absolute Dr. Jeckal and Mr Hyde split personality. Guys like EJ will always keep the fans coming to the track. Evil Kneviel once commented that he thought EJ was crazy and there is no way he would attemp some of the things EJ has done. Must have fell one to many times out of the hay loft and bumped his head. I have tried about everything imaginable looking for the ultimate rush, yet I would have reservations about blasting the 1/4 mile on some of EJ's earlier bikes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif
MotownMadman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

Norm reynolds
05-29-2003, 02:16 AM
I seem to remember the Michigan Madman also used to race a old 57 Plymouth with an V 12 allison the Allison took out the front dash board so he drove it and sat in were the back seat was /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif