PDA

View Full Version : Numbers Matching Question

chevelle_ss_502
05-15-2003, 02:12 PM
Ok I am sure this answer is here someplace but I didnt have alot of luck finding it. A guy I know is selling a 69 Camaro and it is a SS car but doesnt have the original motor in it. It has a motor from another 69 Camaro but not the original motor from the factory. He is saying it is a numbers matching car. I always thought numers matching meant that it was the original motor with the vin number on the motor matching the vin number on the cowl or car vin number. And this is also true with the rear end and transmission. Am I wrong in what I am thinking?

Thanks,
Andy

TimG
05-15-2003, 02:24 PM
You are not wrong, he is. Numbers matching is a loose term today. Numbers matching means that the ID number on the engine, transmission and body/frame match the ID number of the car. The rear end has no ID number but has date and other codes.
Today, you have to ask is it the original, undecked, unrestamped engine. A restamped motor can be called matching numbers but it would not be the original engine.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Well said TimG, some guys consider the date codes of all components (sheetmetal too), to be included in the 'numbers matching' definition.