PDA

View Full Version : Motion valve covers

JRSully
06-18-2003, 08:41 PM
I picked up a a pair of Motion valave covers, which were originally chrome (same as the aluminum ones they are selling now. They came with the original Motion emblems cut on botth sides to fit inside the indented box on the valve covers. I have been told that Motion did this when they ran out of the smaller design Motion emblems, they simply cut down the fender emblems to fit the valve covers. I have three questions regarding these if someone can help me out;
1. What year(s) were these sold.?? I was told that the chromed covers were the one's that were sold through the mail and not on the cars themselves (only aluminum covers were put on the cars) the covers have "japan 739" on the inside of them.
2. What is the best way to restore the emblems, does anyone specialize in this.?? They are in very good shape, but want to make them mint. Should I have the original covers rechromed.??? and can anyone recommend a good, reliable chromer.??
3. Does anyone make the breather that was used on these.??

Thanks for your help

PxTx
06-19-2003, 02:07 AM
Here is the information as I know to be correct:

1. The VC were made by Ansen and came to the market mid 1969. They were sold from that point on. The old tooling is gone, but Ansen still is having them made. They run about 500 at a time. The VC were not on the market for a while but a limited number were made several years ago. Mr. "Ansen" past away about year and a half ago and one of his old workers was asked to come back and run the business. This woman does so now and is the one who has supplied CP in the past with these items.

The demand was so high for these covers in the early 70's that Ansen subed out the work over to Japan. All of the VC that were shipped back in the states via container from Japan reflect the maker. They were still supplied through Ansen and distributed. The 739 was the Ansen part/item number.

As for the other items:

The chrome VC were mail order only, but not a default. Aluminum covers in non-chrome finishes were also available.

*Speculation and educated opinion*
I am not when Joel first used the rectangular Motion emblem, but it was prior to 1969. I beleive the larger emblem was the earlier design.

These earlier Motion emblems were larger and would not fit the newer box in the Ansen VC. Since the Ansen valve covers were so popular, as well as Joel liking the way he could use them to promote his name it was natural to apply the emblems to them. I beleive Joel had the emblems re-sized to fit the VC but also used the smaller ones on the fenders as well.

There were no set rules as to what badges were to be used for any application, therefore I cannot buy into the fact that Joel would require a specific motion emblem to be used on fenders. Those emblems that were cut to fit were used-up any way they could. Mail order valve covers, fenders, etc.

2. I do not have any experience restoing them, but I would suggest looking into Hemmings for a reputable company that offers this service.

3. I am not aware of a specific breather for these covers. Joel as well as others used both traditional chrome breathers and other more "stylish" types.

Good luck with your project.

Paul Tholey

whitetop
06-19-2003, 02:15 AM
Chrome Plating? Check out my engine. Parts were plated by Paul's Chrome and Jon Wrights Custom Chrome with great results. They are about 1/2 to 3/4 higher than anyone else but you get what you pay for.

I would say Joel used chrome GM breathers or Mr. Gasket. Mr Gasket still makes their breathers and they are 100% like originals. You have to decide if you like the push in or twist on(my favorite)
Dave

JoeG
06-19-2003, 02:36 AM
Your right on the breathers---AC[ push-in] thru rubber grommet on valve cover and usually a turn type AC[ on the oil cap/valve cover]--unless you had to have MR.GASKET.----And PAULS CHROME--$$$---BUT beautiful!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

NICE engine!!!---how do you steer that thing???

JoeC
06-19-2003, 01:56 PM
I have been trying to find a 1969 picture of a Motion car with finned alu valve covers but have not. This is odd because the magazine cars usually got the dress up items. This doesn't mean there were none sold in 69 but I would think there would be a 69 pic of them. The original pics of the 70 Motion car posted on here showed that car with stock chrome steel covers. So I have not pinned down the intro date of the finned Motion valve cover. I asked Joel and he was not sure.
I have two sets of old finned alu Motion covers both chrome plated alu. All old looking original Motion valve covers with emblems I have seen were chrome plated alu.
The longer trimmed down emblem was still used in 1973 because they are shown on the King Kong 454 Vega in the original article. I have a few Motion catalogs and the 1976 catolog valve cover ad says "Motion Phase III valve covers finned chrome." They did not offer polished alu in any ads I can find until later 70s then both chrome and polished are listed.
Breathers shown in catalog look like chrome Mr. Gasket push in.
This info is what I have found and not cast in stone just my observations.

whitetop
06-19-2003, 02:35 PM
How do I steer it-as in seeing around it? Car also has a 7" Grump lump hood scoop. I only drove the car 3-4 miles after I bought it but I did not have any problems seeing around the scoop.
Dave

JoeC
06-19-2003, 02:48 PM
Dave that engine is a beauty - very nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

55chevy
06-19-2003, 04:46 PM
Hey Joe, Could you post that King Kong Vega article? I've been looking for that one for awhile. Thanks

PxTx
06-19-2003, 08:56 PM
Ansen said they started selling the finned covers mid way through 69. I am not sure what the lead time is on the old "Cars" Magazine, but these day magazines are produced three months ahead of time, so actual photo coverage would only be in the later part of the year. Prior to the Ansen covers, I do know that there were some M/T ones used on Motion cars.

I agree the cut emblems have appeared on later built cars, but I have also seen the smaller ones on the fenders of 1970 vintage cars. I do not beleive there was a specific format for using either size up.

Paul T

JoeG
06-20-2003, 02:48 AM
Whitetop,
Do you have a picture of the car that engine is in----like to see photo if possible----still NICE engine!!!---JoeG

whitetop
06-20-2003, 03:46 AM
Here goes

whitetop
06-20-2003, 03:48 AM
Joe
I sent you a email with pics.
Dave

JoeG
06-20-2003, 05:25 PM
whitetop,
THANKS--THANKS-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif
You've got it right---had a lot of paint schemes similar to that style, in my neck of the woods/concrete --- cars is tastefully done[ I mean everything -paint , chrome headers showing , scoop[ paint schemes make it blend into the car]-----64 1/2 MUSTANG BODY -brings all the modifications together in a stock-sort of way--I think your a right--keep it just as is .-REALLY NICE.-----Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif