PDA

View Full Version : Quickest/Fastest Pure Stock

Stefano
07-01-2003, 03:54 PM
Who's car was/is the fastest/quickest Pure Stock Muscle car of all time. Going back to the begining of the Factory Pure Stock drag venue.

Chevy454
07-01-2003, 09:53 PM
...the owner is Canadian...

...it's an original COPO car...

...it was "Certified Stock" at the 2000 PSMCDR...

...it's engine is made from used beer cans!?

JoeG
07-01-2003, 10:54 PM
Saw that car run---it had a lot of HP on tap.

Chevy454
07-01-2003, 11:00 PM
The scary part is that there is a LOT left in that engine. I watched the car certify, and it was WAY under even factory specs, just like in '69. I think it's a measily 10.8:1 compression?

My money is on it to be the first Pure Stock car in the 11's...

Mr70
07-02-2003, 12:53 AM
Without giving to much away,you should call him Peter S.,no wait...P.Simpson.
OH Crap never mind! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

will
07-02-2003, 06:19 PM
I remember an artical a few years back (maybe musclecar review)a show down between a nova and a cuda ,
I thought the cuda took 2 of 3 runs on ployglass ties and 1 run was 11.98 or something ???

maybe this wasn't certified though I don't know!

Chevy454
07-02-2003, 06:41 PM
Those 2 cars are "Stock Appearing" cars. They look stock on the outside, but anything inside the engine (or that you can hide elsewhere) is fair game! The Nova attended the Pure Stock Drags in '99, but after the articles in MCR about all the "tricks" done to the car it was asked to stick to the Stock Appearing class. A good looking car, that ran like STINK! I know he went low 12s, and has probably since gone quicker than that...that car flat hooked. The Hemi in that article has since ran 11.40s(.30s?) at around 125mph.

The neat thing about the "white car" in question is that it is certified stock. But, like I said above, the engine is way under spec, with LOTS of meat left still. With that said, it's still the car to beat.

JoeG
07-02-2003, 07:33 PM
That cleverly/subtle tricked L89 Nova---Phil Brewer--some good tips----I'm glad they started certifying the cars as pure stock---brought times back to reality --althought the P.S. -Peter S.---P.Simpson car still has unreal stock HP-------unleashed it would break into 10 sec. territory-IMO---- those beer cans they used to made that engine must be a light brand of beer---coors lite--miller lite------JoeG---- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

COPO PETE
07-02-2003, 09:25 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifWell this is an interesting post! The white car in question actually does'nt have "unreal stock hp". On the dyno it managed 465 horse through the exhaust manifolds. The local track is often rented where "he" can get lots of seat time to extract all the power it can, and learn how to hook it. The car did get an new fuel pump last week and, well,... it really liked it!
Peter

JoeG
07-02-2003, 10:01 PM
"unreal stock HP"---not to be interpreted as tricked-------
"gobs or plenty of HP"--for my lack of a better phrase-----was just relating it to 1969 standards---managing 465HP thru exhaust manifold---I'd say management is doing a good job----as far as hooking up I can honestly say he's doing just fine, sitting down on the job.----JoeG----are those the right brands of beer?----- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

'

SmallHurst
07-03-2003, 12:56 PM
Somehow, I don't think that the owner of that fast Pure Stock car drinks light beer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

SmallHurst
07-03-2003, 12:58 PM
Rob,

Shows how young we are! When that car was built, beer came in steel cans! Just think, some of the beer cans we are drinking out of now could be from old ZL-1 and KB hemi blocks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

JoeG
07-03-2003, 03:16 PM
SmallHurst--
Just Funin about the beer cans---
How about I buy you a beer---lets say --a can of ZL1 malt lite.------JoeG---- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Jeff H
07-08-2003, 06:51 PM
Are you including cars like the Hemi Dart, Hurst AMX, etc?

Chevy454
07-09-2003, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he was asking about the cars that have attended in the past. Plus, I'm not sure those cars are legal.

Jeff H
07-09-2003, 04:16 PM
Just curious. I think I just found the owner of the #2 Hurst S/S AMX. Anybody have an idea of what those cars are worth?

JoeG
07-09-2003, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he was asking about the cars that have attended in the past. Plus, I'm not sure those cars are legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty sure there was a tag on the car, from DOT/factory---not legal for street use----JoeG

Chevy454
07-09-2003, 07:20 PM
That's correct on the Dart.

JoeG
07-09-2003, 07:52 PM
Chevy454,
I guess JeffH might be correct, in that a H/AMCX- would be considered stock--it came delivered from the factory/Hurst camp, with Goodyear E70x14 polyglas tires , they sometimes had one in a dealer showroom and you could either drive it or trailer it away--of cause as soon as the car left the dealership lot--the warranty also left the car.----I would have liked to see that.------JoeG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Chevy454
07-09-2003, 08:01 PM
It all comes down to what actually came on it from the factory and if it was DOT approved...but, no light weight cars allowed.

JoeG
07-09-2003, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It all comes down to what actually came on it from the factory and if it was DOT approved...but, no light weight cars allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the dealership said you could drive it home , or at least that is what I am reading--and besides, you would have to get a 10 sec police car ,to pull you over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif---but your light weight comment kind of tells the story--they deleted radio ,heater ,sound-deadening materials, carpet padding, under-coating windwipers,etc. --I think they left the steering wheel---so I GUESS, if you didn't have slicks and a fat driver, this car would float away----JoeG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jeff H
07-09-2003, 08:20 PM
The guy I was talking to said his dad's Hurst AMX ran 9.6's and he has a bunch of timeslips from the early 70's.

JoeG
07-09-2003, 08:29 PM
JeffH,
Sorry----8sec. police car- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif----Drag-on-Lady--Shirley Shahan--Prettiest Top Stock Eliminator.-----JoeG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

MikeA
07-10-2003, 04:06 PM
Where does the '70 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 rank with respect to the "Quickest/Fastest Pure Stock" car? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

JoeG
07-10-2003, 04:35 PM
MikeA,
Musclecar Power--2001 Pure-Stock results --there are a pair of 70 GS 455/360 in 3rd&4th--JoeG

MikeA
07-10-2003, 04:48 PM
JoeG,

Were the Buicks certified stock?

COPO PETE
07-10-2003, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
JoeG,

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif
That's funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peter

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-10-2003, 05:57 PM
Even I can laugh at that one! I remember a particular red one getting caught changing tires in the back of the pits one year. Ah, sir, can you take those stickys off and put the first set back on?!?!?

Fun time, but there were several 'pro' stock cars there that year!

JoeG
07-10-2003, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
JoeG,

[/ QUOTE ]

MikeA,

You went ahead and spoiled it MikeA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif-----YES, they were definitely certified- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif-------- Buicks on steroids.---------JoeG----- those two buicks were low 12's-lot of potential-but not certified.

COPO PETE
07-11-2003, 06:10 PM
If anyone is in the Norwalk area on July 17th.... I'll be there for the FS shoot out sponsored by Year One. Stop around and say hi!
Peter