PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: 67 Camaro M21 Tranny

Denis
08-08-2003, 02:59 AM
Looking for new bellhousing and M21 transmission correct for June-built 67 Camaro Z28. Prefer May 67 date and no VIN. Prefer restored unit, ready to drop in.

Here's what's left of my old one after hitting about 95mph/4800rpm on the dyno on my fresh-restored car:

http://www.67z28.net/project/DynoRun/P1010050.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Belair62
08-08-2003, 03:01 AM
Was your foot in the way of that mess ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Zedder
08-08-2003, 03:04 AM
Ouch Denis! What the heck happened? Hopefully the car wasn't damaged at all??? My buddy Younnto has an April dated M21 on ebay for $799...

Denis
08-08-2003, 03:04 AM
One sore thumb (from shifter kicking), one dented floorpan, one dented exhaust pipe, one exploded U-joint, one missing transmission, one exploded bellhousing, misc scratches on NOS oil cannister and restored starter. Hmmm, can't think of anything else right now.

Now, where did I put that bottle?

Oh, there it is...

Glub glub...

JoeG
08-08-2003, 03:49 AM
Denis,
Lucky--someone usually looses something with a clutch/tranny explosion as violent as that-----make sure your driveshaft is still true.

budnate
08-08-2003, 04:00 AM
Geez, I am crying for you! I am headed out of here shortly for B.C. to do some fishing, I will get ahold of you and we can look over some spare stuff I have for my car Monday, Dates are not important to me on this car as far as 4spd stuff goes it was a glide car when new,
Dang Denis that sucks, but thank God it didnt get your Foot!, It looks like it was pretty bad when she let go, talk at ya in a few days.

Bud.

Denis
08-08-2003, 04:37 AM
Thank God it happened on the dyno and not on the highway. It would be most unfortunate to perform a driveshaft pole vault at 100mph on I-5.

The friggin trans tailshaft snapped like a piece of candy cane, no twisting, no warning, no noise, no vibration--just freakin exploded. I have a trans expert coming in tomorrow AM to do some forensic investigation and figure this out.

Here's some more pics for you rubberneckers, but remember I need to get this car done and over with so let me know if you have a nice cherry 67 M21 and 403 bellhousing sitting in your shop.

http://www.67z28.net/project/DynoRun/Chart.jpg

http://www.67z28.net/project/DynoRun/P1010044.jpg

http://www.67z28.net/project/DynoRun/P1010045.jpg

http://www.67z28.net/project/DynoRun/P1010046.jpg

http://www.67z28.net/project/DynoRun/P1010047.jpg

http://www.67z28.net/project/DynoRun/P1010049.jpg

Chevy454
08-08-2003, 10:56 AM
Denis:

You might want to invest in a loop for that thing. Most of the Pure Stock guys run one that bolts between the tranny and crossmember, and requires no drilling/welding...in fact, it's what's on our Camaro.

JoeC
08-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Denis That sucks!

Chevy454
08-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Denis:

I showed the carnage to some guys over on the Pure Stock site and they said you need to contact Al Maynard. In fact, one of them already hollered at him and said he could hook you up. Check out THIS (http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23944#newpost) thread for info.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Denis, I don't understand what caused the breakage - the clutch etc.. is still there, so was it the tailshaft that broke and twisted everything apart?

Makes me want to install my Indian loop b4 I go to the strip!

PxTx
08-08-2003, 08:10 PM
I'm guessing there was too much play in the tail of the trans. Either the output shaft was fatigued or the bushing was worn too much? Anyone else have thoughts on this kind of Muncie failureÖ

Paul T

T Billigen
08-08-2003, 08:47 PM
Do you guys use a scatter shield when you run your cars at the reunion? Very dangerous to run a solid lifter chevy without one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

JoeC
08-08-2003, 09:19 PM
It appears that something caused the trans to lock solid then the momentum of the spinning wheels, rear end, drive shaft, and Dyno caused the output shaft to shear in half and shatter the bell and trans housing. It is difficult to say without a close look at all the parts.

Denis
08-08-2003, 09:33 PM
Just got back from the trans shop with the car, and a box of bits.

Appears to have been caused by the U-joint coming apart, a worn tail shaft, or both. Everything else came about as a consequence of the above. Pretty friggin' dramatic. None of the guts are worth reusing, gears look pretty worn already and not worth salvaging. Only piece that survived is the side cover and the shifter--finally, a good reason to mount the shifter on the crossmember.

Mr Maynard has most of what I need to replace the trans and bellhousing, need to follow up with him for the main case after he's had a chance to check his stash. Driveshaft will need to be trued and balanced, floor will need some mending, engine needs to come out to reweld on a broken bellhousing mounting boss (I found the broken piece).

Whew, what a day! Nothing another $5-6K won't fix.

crash
08-08-2003, 11:58 PM
Denis, I've got a P7E05 main case without a VIN or I have four 010 cases without any VIN or build dates...Hope this helps...Crash

Denis
08-09-2003, 12:35 AM
VERY INTERESTED in the P7E05/NOVIN main case! PM me w/ phone # pls.

crash
08-09-2003, 01:17 AM
Denis, E-mail me for phone # [email protected] Crash

hvychev
08-09-2003, 03:50 AM
Dennis was this the original trans?

Denis
08-09-2003, 04:48 AM
Busted trans had 'correct' dates and castings but no VIN. Not original to the car.

Chevy454
08-09-2003, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys use a scatter shield when you run your cars at the reunion? Very dangerous to run a solid lifter chevy without one!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think NHRA requires a scattershield on stick cars until you run in the 11's. Also, you take a risk of this happening regardless if you're running at the track or, as the case may be, running on a dyno...this could have happened on a cruise just the same. I've tore up more stuff on the highway than on a track by far!

T Billigen
08-09-2003, 08:57 PM
Even back in the 60s, ALL hipo chevys with solid lifters were required to have a scatter shield! I think it applied to all makes with solid lifters. How fast you ran did not matter. Then about 1970 you were also required to have a drive shaft hanger. It's funny that the people at the strip you are running at would let you run without one. It would be interesting liability issue if someone would get injured. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

JoeG
08-09-2003, 09:59 PM
Not looking to say anyone should do this or that,but Motion covered his rear[plus it was required on some tracks] by making Schiefer blow-proof clutch-flywheel and Lakewood scattershields NHRA approved ,standard equipment on PhaseIII cars. I myself did use a drive- shaft loop hanger,but you are right it can happen anywhere-----Some of you fellas have machines with 11sec territory power but because of the tires you use for being considered stock you can't harness full power--but it's still there so they are potential 11 sec machines------ Just some friendly conversation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif.-----Don't mind me when something like what happened to Denis occurs I jump up on my soap-box

sYc
08-09-2003, 11:18 PM
So far, 4 different tracks have allowed us to race, with no supercar failing tech, (even the Pure stock Drags, which do not require a shield), have not ran into this problem. But hey, in this day and time, any incident is a liability issue, whether at the track or at a show. Figure in several million dollars worth of rare musclecars and watch the price of having fun rise. Even though most shows will not bother to get insurance (think about that the next time you attend a show), we do, and insurance alone at SCR6 will cost over $1500.00.

Are all of the costs involved and risks taken worth it, simply to watch a few "old" cars make a pass or two down the strip? To me, and several others, YES.

T Billigen
08-09-2003, 11:23 PM
That is a good idea to have the insurance! But it won't replace those original drive train parts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

sYc
08-09-2003, 11:30 PM
I am assuming, that since we both know that damage can occur at any given time, anywhere, as evident by the dyno mis-hap, that you are advocating never starting supercars, but rather pushing them where ever they need to go? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Well,I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this (and of course the merits of Super Chevy shows). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

T Billigen
08-10-2003, 01:31 AM
Its OK to start em and move them off the trailer, even at "Super Chevy" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

T Billigen
08-10-2003, 03:00 AM
One other thought, you will probably end up pushing your car more than me when them parts start breaking! I also want to put in a plug: If you need a tranny or one repaired see "Crash", he rebuilt the tranny for my car, did a beautiful job and even found the right tag for it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

sYc
08-10-2003, 03:27 PM
You may be right, but one thing is certain, we will have one HELL of a time doing it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif.

And, I could have sworn that these cars were labeled "supercars" because of their ground pounding performance, not looks. At least that is the criteria the sYc uses and, is why we have go to the track and have a cruise, to show folks that these car were, and still are, some of the baddest muisclecars ever built. Siting around all day in the hot sun "just showing" a car is not my idea of fun.

Chevy454
08-10-2003, 05:47 PM
I'll have to second the crash thing...I've read quite a bit of his stuff on trannys, and he seems to know what he's talking about.

Denis
08-13-2003, 10:47 PM
I spoke with Crash and that's where I'll be getting my new trans. The nickname didn't exactly inspire confidence but you guys' vote of confidence and my telephone conversation with him convinced me He Da Man.

Signed,
"Dyno Denis"