PDA

View Full Version : Car Craft Article - Dick Harrell 70 Chevy II LS6

DarrenX33
08-11-2003, 09:12 PM
Rummaging thru my friends old car mags and found this review in Car Craft April 1970. After Dick's handy work this car was running a 11.89/116.92. Anyone lucky enough to see one of these in person? Geez, guess he wasn't buying the Yenko 427 Nova disclaimer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

68TopStock
08-12-2003, 03:19 AM
If I'm not mistaken, a 70 1/2 Harrell Camaro with the 454/450hp conversion is listed to attend this years reunion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Mr70
08-12-2003, 03:24 AM
Rick or Chad... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

MotownMadman
08-12-2003, 06:55 AM
Wasnt the 70 Harrell Camaro recently sold? I had heard down the rumor mill that the person who actually located the car was promised a finders fee to turn over the chance of ownership to another party? I am not indicating or naming anything or anyone here as it could have been anyone involved with the deal which I understand were more then just two. If any of this has substance the locater of the car should recieve a fair compensation for his knowlege and willingness to let a good one get away. Keep in mind I know none of this to absolute fact, just information from a typically reliable source who was not involved in the transction in any way. I was just wondering if anyone else here has knowledge of this possible situation. It is never a good thing to have information circulated if unfounded, better to bring the discussion out in the open. I dont even know who bought this car.
Thanks,
Motown

SS427
08-12-2003, 01:16 PM
Motown, I totally disagree with you about bringing things like this out in the open. For starters, how and with whom deals are made are private issues and forums are no place to discuss these issues. It is a shame that not only do I feel the need to publically defend myself but we are also using someone else's thread to do it in.

I hired Ron Bentz to locate this car for me after I had spent almost a year looking for it with very little success. Ron found the car in exactly 2 days from our initial contact. Over lunch on the day I came to look at the car, Ron refused to accept a finders fee as he stated he did this out of friendship and not for monetary gain. However, I stated I did NOT do business this way and for such a great find, I insisted he accept a finders fee if and when I purchased the car. The dollar amount was not discussed at that time and certainly will not be discussed here though suffice to say, I wish I could make that much money in two days. Ron was very greatful right up to the point that he found out that Chad and I had worked aout a deal to purchase the car instead of just me. The price of the car climbed to more than I had budgeted and Chad and I have worked together for several years so it was a natural. The fee has yet to have been paid as Ron and I are working out some issues but I will assure everyone here, Ron is being paid even though he did not want a payment. He was hired to perform a service for me of which he did. What took place after that has no bearing on our agreement. I might also add that Ron will not post on this board anymore because he and another member had an open disagreement on this board. Because of that, we lost someone who was bringing a lot of knowledge and experience to the board. All over 'comments' that were made that were no one elses business. Case in point. If you do a search on Ron's last post, you will find it.

I want to make several points here. Most people I had heard about were looking and still are for a 1969 Dick Harrell car, NOT the 1970 DH Camaro. I only know of a couple of people that were looking for the 70 car but I had already narrowed it down when I heard about them.

I hired Ron to perform a service for me, ie; locate the car. In two days, he was successful in doing just that. Against his wishes, I told him that a finders fee would be paid if I bought the car. I ended up not being the sole buyer but I am still paying as promissed. What happened to the car after it was located was between me and my wife not someone I hired to locate the car for me. I will also add that cash finders fee was in hand the day we picked up the car as it was my understanding that Ron was going to be present to video the picking up of the car. Ron lived about 4 miles from the location and the morning that we picked up the car, it was raining. We assumed that Ron thought the transaction might not take place. I had confirmed the pickup time and date with him two nights before. Ron told me he was also not a player on this car for financial reasons nor was he a broker.

It is very much a shame that such a neat and rare find is being clouded by 'rumors' that someone who did not want a finders fee is now circulating. I am a man of my words and it was I who insisted that Ron accept a fee not Ron.

Maybe someday, some people will be more interested in this 5800 original mile find rather than how a transaction was initiated. This car is phenomenally original and a testiment to Mr. Chevrolets abilities. It is also a shame that it was brought out on the board rather than privately as I have nothing to hide. I have spoken to one person privately who I was afraid that I had stepped on their toes and was assured that was not the case.
Rick Nelson

MotownMadman
08-12-2003, 01:56 PM
Rick,
When I stated it would be better brought out in the open that was not to mean that a transaction between to parties on a car should be public information, but when more then one person is discussing something behind someones back without their knowledge I believe that person should have the opportunity to be aware of that and the right to defend themselves and state their side of the situation. To not be made aware of a behind the scenes discussion which involves any particular person and not have the opportunity to step up with their version of the facts would be like a trial being conducted in the Judges Chambers while the defendant sits out in the courtroom with no opportunity to hear the case against them and present evidence and state their own facts on the allegations. If it were me and things were being said through PM's and Emails about me without my knowledge I would certainly welcome the opportunity to be informed and the chance to address everyone who may be hearing these rumours all at once. The only thing that could cause a cloud around this car would be for this to go unresolved and not be addressed to bring out the truth to put it all behind once and for all. I certainly meant no disrespect to you, I merely thought that the parties to this situation that are being discussed without their knowledge would like the chance to clear the air. It would be difficult for anyone to do that in private if they did not know who or how many to address. As for mentioning it here in this thread, this car was already being discussed here so the door was already open.
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

SS427
08-12-2003, 02:36 PM
Matt,
Thank you for clarifying your thread and I apologize if I were accusing you of starting a fight. You make a good point that I did not see. This car went from most likely being the most exciting thing I have ever been involved in to something I am starting to want no part in. What a waste. I am an honorable person and a man of my word whom many of you can attest to but it really bothers me when someone makes accusations about me regarding this or any other subject. I might add that though I play a financial role in this car and it cost me several hundred dollars in expenses, phone calls, e-mails and travel time over and above the finders fee, I was not paid one nickle to allow Chad into this deal. I wanted the car to stay in Minnesota and Chad and I have worked very hard on his collection. I am proud to see him add another one to it. I was going to be the sole owner of this car right up until August 1st when the price suddenly climbed. I did not want to lose the car so I persued several options. My goal right now is to keep him out of this conversation as he won't be near as diplomatic with Ron as I have been. Nuff said, hopefully someone will enjoy this car 1/2 as much as I do.

I would also like to publically thank many of the sYc members who I contacted in convidence and some who I did not explain for giving me help to authenticate and document the car. For obvious reasons, I could not tell many of you what was going on. Many have and are still being a huge help on this car. Thanks especially to Dennis Cumby, Dennis and Ann Hartweg for all their help who worked from the start with me on this car. Those are real friends! My apologies again to Darren for taking over your thread. Lets move on.
Rick

Stefano
08-12-2003, 02:49 PM
Great Find ,will the car make the Reunion this year?

DarrenX33
08-12-2003, 02:56 PM
Uhh. I thought this was the Nova LS6 post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Chevy454
08-12-2003, 03:10 PM
Stefano:

I was emailed a couple of days ago saying "yes", but Rick might know more than I?? I hadn't heard of the car until the email about it attending, but it sounded WAY COOL!

Clint_69
08-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Enough already! Rick, you need to relax and really enjoy this car. Excellent find Ron, Rick and Chad. Wow, you guys are fortunate to have found such a historical car!. I would love to hear the story about how the car was tracked. What were your thoughts when you first saw the car? I am assuming that the public will get to enjoy this car at some point and time. Give some details. Photos? Will it need complete restoration?

68TopStock
08-14-2003, 02:44 AM
Darren,

Have you seen the article about the Harrell ZL1 Nova?

DarrenX33
08-14-2003, 01:16 PM
Holy cow! Can't say that I have Ken. What mag?

68TopStock
08-14-2003, 03:35 PM
1970 Hi Performance Cars. Can someone help with a post? I'll email for posting.

bbdon
08-15-2003, 03:26 AM
You have that article scanned and need help getting it posted? I can help. email it to me at [email protected]