PDA

View Full Version : '67 Muncie Shifter

Zedder
08-18-2003, 02:29 AM
Need complete factory Muncie shifter for 67/68 Camaro. Thanks!

NCGuy68
09-07-2003, 03:11 AM
Mark....Are you still in need of the shifter? I have my eye on some misc. parts and a shifter is in the mix.

Let me know. Email: [email protected]

Zedder
09-07-2003, 03:28 AM
Thanks Craig, but I already picked one up and it's enroute to the restorer. However, you should have no problem selling it though...

JoeC
09-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Can you send me a picture of it? I am looking for a Muncie shifter for my 67

NCGuy68
09-07-2003, 11:10 PM
Joe...upon close inspection of the shifter, I declined it. Turns out it was a "hybrid" that someone cobbled together. The shift levers, stabilizer shaft and its' bracket, etc...were Saginaw. I made a token offer just to get the Muncie parts that it did have, but the seller refused.

As always, be cautious and know the parts that you're looking for. Recently, I've seen a bunch of shifters misrepresented. True complete Muncie shifters are getting hard to find.

Good luck in your search.

Charley Lillard
09-08-2003, 01:05 AM
Lemme look out back...............

Charley Lillard
09-08-2003, 01:43 AM
Is this it ?

Charley Lillard
09-08-2003, 01:45 AM
Or is this it.....

COPO PETE
09-08-2003, 03:04 AM
This site is really going to the dogs lately!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peter

NCGuy68
09-08-2003, 11:14 AM
Yep...Charley's first pic is a complete Muncie for 67-8 small block Camaros.

Zedder
09-08-2003, 11:38 AM
Craig (or anyone else),

What is the difference between the 67/68 Muncie small block and big block shifter? Thanks,

Mr70
09-08-2003, 01:23 PM
I'd swear those dogs are planning an Attack.
Get aload of the middle one,He looks like Belair62..I mean the ring leader. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JoeC
09-08-2003, 04:04 PM
I have been researching the 67 BB Camaro shifter and have found a few different Muncie shifters. I know the 69 Hurst shifter is different BB and SB because the BB engine/trans is located forward and to the pass side of the SB location. The 69 Camaro Hurst has different rods and the bracket between shifter and trans is different. I have seen different offsets in the chrome Muncie handle and not sure if this is BB/SB difference or Camaro/Nova difference. The reverse light linkage is different on some and the trans lever dogs are different with small slots (1967) and long slots (1969+). The cars with Saginaw trans I don't think have "Muncie" stamped on the chrome handle because I have seen a bunch of these no name chrome handles both 3sp and 4sp. There must be a bunch of different Camaro/Nova Muncie shifters like with the Chevelle Muncie shifters where there is at least 5 different ones between 68-72.

NCGuy68
09-09-2003, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There must be a bunch of different Camaro/Nova Muncie shifters like with the Chevelle Muncie shifters where there is at least 5 different ones between 68-72.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right Joe...and it can get confusing. I know of at least 4 different shifter/linkage/lever combinations that were 'factory' for 67-8 Camaros. Novas were similar, but have their own styles as well.

Years ago, I began researching/restoring Muncie shifters partly to get the 'right' ones for my own cars and secondly as a winter time hobby. Since then, I've had the opportunity to view/measure/trace shifters from both BB and SB unmolested cars. I've noted the following differences that apply only to 67-8 BB Muncie shifter:

1. Both the reverse linkage (rod) and the stablizer shaft have very noticable bends in them. This is because the shifter mounting holes in the BB transmission crossmember are offset to the right about 1/4 inch compared to the SB one.

2. The 1-2 and 3-4 rods are ever so slighty offset to the right for the same reason. This is very difficult to measure on 36 year old rods but it can be done.

3. The part manuals as well as the assembly manual list BB and SB rods under different numbers. Some say this is because the BB rods are larger in diameter. Although this is true with the 69 factory Hurst, I've never measured a difference in the Muncie rods.

I know pics would be helpful. However, Jerry MacNeish bought the last BB shifter I had at the 03 Spring Autofair in Charlotte, NC. Never-the-less, I do have accurate tracings and measurements if anyone is in need.

Zedder
09-09-2003, 03:43 AM
Thanks for the info Craig /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif So, are you saying that the shifter and mounting bracket are the same for BB and SB cars? If I sent you a pic of the shifter I just bought could you tell which application it is for? Thanks for your help,

NCGuy68
09-09-2003, 10:25 AM
Yep....the shifter and its mounting bracket are the same for both. The differences are in the linkage and the stablizer shaft. Of course, 'Muncie' was stamped on the handle. The Saginaw and 3-speed handles were plain.

Feel free to send a pic and I'll try to ID it for you.

Use this Email: [email protected]

JoeC
09-09-2003, 01:33 PM
So is Charley's big or small? I am talking about the shifter pictured on this thread a few posts up.

NCGuy68
09-09-2003, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So is Charley's big or small? I am talking about the shifter pictured on this thread a few posts up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Charley's shifter is a small block. Most noticeable is that the reverse linkage and the stablizer shaft are straight and not offset to the right as they would be if they were big block. Scroll up and see my previous post as to why this is.

In addition, allow me to correct myself as to which shifter handles had 'Muncie' stamped on them:

1. Any 67-8 Camaro with a 'factory installed' Muncie 4-speed trans. (M20, M21, M22) This applys to both big and small block cars.

2. Any 69 Camaro with a 'factory installed' Muncie 3-speed trans. (RPO M13/MC1) This was the only 3-speed shifter that received the Muncie stamp.

A very popular Camaro vender in the Midwest is stamping 'Muncie' on plain handles and then rechroming them. I don't agree with this as I feel there are too many fake/clone/repop 'everythings' out there already.

As always, know the parts you're looking for and be cautious.

68z302
09-10-2003, 04:38 AM
Craig,
Was the "T" stamped in all the shifter handles that were stamped MUNCIE? I was told once that only shifters in the factory high performance cars had that, but I'm not sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I notice that Charlie's handle has the T stamp.

Thanks, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif
Rob

NCGuy68
09-10-2003, 10:36 AM
I've seen Muncie handles with and without the 'T' stamp. I don't know if it has any significance.

68SSCamaro
09-10-2003, 07:36 PM
I recently joined the group and this is my first post. I have also been collecting information on the 67-69 Camaro factory shifters for the Camaro Research Group. I have photos of both 67-68 sb and what I think is bb along with Saginaw. I also believe the Muncie shifter was used on the 67 Firebird so there is probably another set of linkage. I can post the images if anyone is interested. It might take some time to find them and format them. I think I have shifters with/without both the Muncie and T.

NCGuy68, I would be interested in seeing your drawings. I'm also restoring a 68 Camaro 4 speed car and still need the stabilizer rod. I have one for the 68-72 Chevelle that might be close. You can contact me here at my work email if you want to, [email protected]

NCGuy68
09-11-2003, 01:24 AM
Welcome to the board Martin. I think you'll find some helpful and very knowledgeable users here.

Please do post pics of the shifters that you have. They would be helpful to many members of this board. You may want to post them in the restoration section as you will get more views there.

I'am willing to share my tracings/drawings with you and for the good of The CRG. (You guys are doing a pretty good job there.) Which ones are you interested in?

By the way, scroll up to Charley's reply and see the complete SB shifter pic attached.

The stablizer shaft for the 68-72 Chevelle shifters is close but is larger in diameter and offset differently then Camaro.

I have a very nicely restored 69-72 Muncie Chevelle shifter if anyone is interested

JoeC
09-11-2003, 01:34 AM
Welcome to the site Martin. I don't think the Chevelle bar will work as I have one and it looks a lot different then the Camaro bar.
NCGuy68, thanks for the info
I looked at the shifters I have lying around and one is a Saginaw 3 sp with the "T" stamped on it. One is a Saginaw 4 sp with a straight bar with "1378" stamped on it.
One to the left in picture is a 70 BB Nova Muncie shifter and is similar to Camaro except the Chrome handle is different
NCGuy68, In your above post where you have item "2" are you saying there was a Muncie 3 sp shifter in 69? All the 69 Camaros I have seen were Hurst shifters including a 3sp car.

The rods and bar sometimes have numbers stamped in them. The numbers can be difficult to see but if they are found on an original BB 67-68 Camaro Munice shifter it would help to ID the parts.

budnate
09-11-2003, 02:17 AM
Not to change the subject, JoeC do you want to sell the loose handle or does anyone have a 3spd one. I would like to cut and spline one and put it on my CompPlus linkage so i look correct but still shift nice.

Last question for the linkage experts, i have been told and have read where early 67 cars up till about Jan had plain handles regardless of trans it was mated to, can anyone confirm 100% one way or the other.

Thnx Bud.

Zedder
09-11-2003, 03:02 AM
Thanks Craig. I've been tied up with Union negotiations but will try and get the pics to you tomorrow. If anyone has a set of 67-68 BB rods and a stabilzer, I'm looking for them. Thanks,

NCGuy68
09-11-2003, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

NCGuy68, In your above post where you have item "2" are you saying there was a Muncie 3 sp shifter in 69? All the 69 Camaros I have seen were Hurst shifters including a 3sp car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure enough Joe, there was a limited production 3 sp Muncie trans in 69, but Chevy cancelled it early in the production run. The White Book shows it as RPO MC1 with 3079 units sold. The 69 assembly manual shows it as RPO M13. Al Colvin shows a cut-away of it in his 65-69 'by the numbers book', (page 264) and calls it a "Muncie heavy-duty 3-speed transmission". I actually bought one with the shifter still hanging on it at a swap meet years ago. What caught my eye was the fact that it was a 3 sp shifter but had Muncie stamped on the handle. Twenty plus years of grease and grime told me it wasn't a fake. After looking at it over the course of the 3 day meet, it finally dawned on me that it was the often over-looked 69 Camaro Muncie 3 speed. I made a deal with the seller and still have it today. I consider it a interesting piece of 69 Camaro history.

I agree with you that the shifter on the left in your attached pic is Nova. I have 2 of those Muncie stamped handles myself. I think that shifter/handle combination was 'factory' for 67-8 Nova with bucket seats.

I have seen numbers stamped on some rods and bars but I've never been able to make any sense out of them. As far as I can tell, they don't relate to any GM group or part numbers. Of course, I'am always open to suggestions.

Thanks for your info and picture.

TDW
09-11-2003, 12:18 PM
Craig...I sent you a PM.

Kim_Howie
09-11-2003, 07:27 PM
So what is this stablizer bar from ??

JoeC
09-11-2003, 10:31 PM
Looks like Chevelle.
Is there a number on it?
What is the lenth?

Kim_Howie
09-11-2003, 10:41 PM
Joe I see no #s on it, it's about a foot long Kim

NCGuy68
09-11-2003, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So what is this stablizer bar from ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Kim......looks like you've got a 68-72 Chevelle stabilzer shaft there. Its' 'tip-to-tip' length should measure about 10 1/8" using a straight edge ruler. Let us know if thats the case.

The Chevelle stablizer shaft bracket (on the trans end) is different from Camaro. Althought it will bolt-up and work, they are different. I mention this because the 'repop' bracket currently being sold as Camaro is actually Chevelle.

68z302
09-12-2003, 03:29 AM
Would anyone have a 67-68 Muncie shifter for parts?
Looking to piece together the Mickey Mouse Reverse Dentent spring assembly.
Specifically need the plastic cup that holds all the grease in & the band of sping steel that holds all the bearings in.(If you've seen one you'll know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)
Or, does anyone sell a kit for this? haven't seen one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thanks
Rob

NCGuy68
09-12-2003, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Craig...I sent you a PM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tony...I replyed to your PM. Not sure you got it because this form is not acting right lately.

Contact me at [email protected] if needed.

TDW
09-12-2003, 10:10 AM
Craig...I emailed and sent a PM. Don't think PM went through.....Tony

Zedder
09-12-2003, 11:55 AM
Hi Craig,

Can you ID this one?

Thanks!

Kim_Howie
09-12-2003, 07:05 PM
The bar is about 10 1/8 long I knew what it was. Just not sure who it was thanks Kim

Kim_Howie
09-12-2003, 07:05 PM
The bar is about 10 1/8 long I knew what it was. Just not sure who it was. thanks Kim

NCGuy68
09-13-2003, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Craig,

Can you ID this one?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark...that is a Muncie SB shifter for 67-8 Camaro which is missing the shifter mounting bracket as well as the stablizer shaft and its bracket.

JoeC
09-13-2003, 01:07 PM
Craig, are you sure 67 and 68 Camaro shifters are the same? The Muncie trans levers (dogs) in 67 have a short slot and are held on by a stud. In 69 the levers have a long slot and are held on by a bolt. I am not sure about 68 but the Hurst catalog lists one Muncie lever part number for 67 and down and another number for 68 and up. I do not know GM's cut in date of the new lever design but Hurst shows it as 1968.

Zedder
09-13-2003, 01:38 PM
Thanks Craig,

That is what I suspected. I have the bracket and stabilizer, they're just not in the pic. I'll email you a pci of another shifter that is supposed to be for a BB, but I can't tell the difference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Thanks for all of your help!

NCGuy68
09-13-2003, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Craig, are you sure 67 and 68 Camaro shifters are the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe.....I have never seen any difference between the 67 and 68 shift levers. In 67-8 the tranns attaching points are 3/8 inch fine thread studs and the levers are held on with a nut. In 69, the tranns attaching points are 3/8 inch course thread female sockets and the levers are bolted on. Of course in 69, if it was a 4 sp Muncie tranns, it received the factory Hurst shifter.

There are no similarties what-so-ever between the 67-8 Muncie shifter and the 69 factory Hurst shifter. They are 2 completely different animals.

NCGuy68
09-13-2003, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would anyone have a 67-68 Muncie shifter for parts?
Looking to piece together the Mickey Mouse Reverse Dentent spring assembly.
Specifically need the plastic cup that holds all the grease in & the band of sping steel that holds all the bearings in.(If you've seen one you'll know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)
Or, does anyone sell a kit for this? haven't seen one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thanks
Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob......to the best of my knowledge, there has never been a repair kit offered for the reverse lockout (detent). Some guys use a piece of rubber hose, but it looks cheesey and doesn't work very well. However, there is hope. I have a few extra 'detent' springs as well as the orange grease/ dust cap that fits over it. They are brand new, not worn-out used stuff. Closest thing to NOS that you'll probibly ever find. Email me if you're interested and I'll try and help you out.

TDW
09-13-2003, 04:35 PM
Craig...I sent you an email. I will take the Chevelle shifter....Tony

NCGuy68
09-13-2003, 08:07 PM
Tony.....check your Email.

NCGuy68
09-14-2003, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to change the subject, JoeC do you want to sell the loose handle or does anyone have a 3spd one. I would like to cut and spline one and put it on my CompPlus linkage so i look correct but still shift nice.Thnx Bud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bud.....I have several plain handles I can part with. They will need rechroming to look nice. Email me and we'll work something out.

budnate
09-14-2003, 03:53 PM
Thnx, check your e-mail.

Bud.

TDW
09-15-2003, 03:24 PM
Craig....CC on the way.......Thanks...Tony