PDA

View Full Version : Yenko Chevelie - Marshall Chevy Test

Musclecarkid
08-27-2003, 08:22 PM
Just found an old SS&DI article from August 69 that shows a drag test session at York 30 in PA. The test car was Yellow w/ Black Vinyl Top and 4-speed with rally wheels. It was deliverd to Marshall Chevrolet in Reading PA.Tests were run by a few different drivers with a best ET of 13.31 at 108.84 MPH in pure stock trim. Just curious if this Yellow 69 Yenko Chevelle is still around? It sure looks like the one I saw at the ACES Chevellabration in Nashville back in 2001. How many 69 Yenko Chevelles had a vinyl top?.........Kevin (musclecarkid)

bbdon
08-27-2003, 09:44 PM
I posted that article a couple of years ago.
SSDI (http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=4047&Forum=All _Forums&Words=something%20nice&Match=Entire%20Phra se&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=4047&Se arch=true#Post4047)

Musclecarkid
08-28-2003, 03:37 AM
Thanks (bbdon), I searched for it in past threads and didn't see that it was a topic before. Still its a good article to check out. Still wonder if it could be the same yellow Yenko Chevelle with a black vinyl top that was at the 2001 ACES Chevelle Show. Also wonder how many yellow sYc 69 Chevelles had a vinyl top? How many Yenko Chevelles went to Marshall Chevrolet in Reading PA? (musclecarkid)

hvychev
08-28-2003, 03:44 AM
Cool article bbdon. Guys did you notice on the first page of the article where they said that they wanted to feature a Yenko Chevelle with the L72, air condidtioning, and auto but the car had sold? Air conditioning? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Musclecarkid
08-28-2003, 03:51 AM
Yes I thought that was kinda strange about the AC equipped Yenko Chevelle for the magazine test being sold. Wonder if it ever existed? I'm almost positive AC was not available with solid lifter engines at that time.(musclecarkid)

Keith Tedford
08-28-2003, 02:03 PM
To my knowledge, GM never put air with solid lifter Chevelles. The rpm capability would play havoc with the air conditioning compressor. It wasn't designed for the 6-7K rpm potential of these engines. Writers have been known to get a little creative.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-28-2003, 08:46 PM
The Yenko Chevelle that you saw at Chevellabration was not the Marshall test car. To my knowledge the test car has not been found - yet! I have a good line on it, have driven out to the middle of nowhere looking for it, but have been unable to piece together the exact location in the woods where it's supposed to be. The reports are that it is extremely rough!

Musclecarkid
08-28-2003, 08:54 PM
Hard to believe that someone is letting a Yenko Chevelle rust away in some undisclosed location. Is it still in the Northeast, PA region? Could the Ebay 512 Yenko block be from this car? Just a thought.......(musclecarkid)

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-28-2003, 09:24 PM
The ebay 512 block is not from the magazine test Yenko Chevelle, but rather from a garnet red Yenko Chevelle that was listed as sold out of Marshall. I have reason to believe that this red Yenko Chevelle was dealer traded to Stauffer Chev. in Scranton, PA to be sold. When the block popped up in the Scranton area, I was not surprised. The car that the EBAY block belongs to has not been found, and it will be interesting to see if it suddenly pops up - better be a super story based on the info I have on the title search!

Mike
08-29-2003, 01:41 PM
Post deleted by Mike

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-29-2003, 01:43 PM
No, it's a butternut yellow Yenko chevelle, not the daytona yellow one from Bresee - I think I have a line on that one too, but not sure yet!

Mike
08-29-2003, 01:50 PM
Your fast Marlin, I read the posts again and realized the car was from Marshall and deleted my post. Anyway, let me know if I can help with the Bresee Yenko. I was told a guy with the nickname Tex owned the car in the early 70's.

Mike

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-29-2003, 03:16 PM
You have a PM with name of first owner, and possibly the current address - here's hoping /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Mike
08-29-2003, 03:54 PM
Marlin,

Thanks for the info. I owe you one! I'll let you know if I come up with anything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif

Thanks again.
Mike

bonehead
08-29-2003, 11:44 PM
guys, I have'nt posted in a while. Still looking for the Yenko Chevelle B394xxx sold new in Youngstown. It was Lemans blue and my friend owned in from 1975-1978. It was sold in to a kid in Boardman, Ohio in 78, Mahoning county. I have not been sucessful in doing title searches in Ohio or Pa. Are there some secrets? Give me a few helpful hints if possible. Been looking for about a year so far. Love the forum, read it daily. thanks Jan

olredalert
08-30-2003, 02:21 AM
-------Go right to the Mahoning county courthouse.Its possible they may have a surprize for you..........Bill S

55chevy
09-01-2003, 01:35 AM
Marlin, How do you do it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Turbo_Jet
10-12-2003, 11:08 PM
That pic on page 2 is really cool. Driver hunkered down over that skinny steering wheel, getting ready to yank that 4 speed. I can almost hear that L72 roaring... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif Dan

Supercar_Kid
10-13-2003, 04:28 AM
Undisputable period underhood shots of Yenko/COPO cars are few and far between, so I think it's interesting to note that the engine shots on page 3 of the SSDI article show a complete lack of air cleaner decals. I suspect many of the 69 COPO Chevelles & Camaros Yenko received may have come off the truck this way. It's been debated whether these cars came equipped with 427 flags and Turbo Jet/425 HP decals and it's always seemed to make sense that Yenko may have opted to remove the 425 HP decal since he re-rated the cars at the more generous 450 number. I know it was commonplace for Yenko to trim the horsepower rating off the Deuce air cleaner decals, but this was most likely an attempt to keep the insurance companies guessing, since things were beginning to get out of hand in that department by 1970. My brother (CamaroJoe) also owns original underhood photos of a 69 Yenko Camaro that were taken when the car was brought back to Yenko Chevrolet for service sometime in the early 70's. The air cleaner lid shows a 427 flags and a very distinct glue and left over paper patch where a HP decal was undoubtedly removed. This supports it may have been a Camaro/Chevelle thing. Could COPO Chevelles have come off the truck sans lid decals altogether, while COPO Camaros wore 427/425 markings? That's entirely possible. Any educated thoughts on this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif One thing I can say for sure is that I've never seen a 450HP decal in a period 69 COPO pic, Chevelle or Camaro, but they are certainly well represented on many restored cars today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Anyone got any other period 69 COPO underhood pics to compare?

I also noticed that the SW tach sender is mounted on the firewall at quite a slant, not something you'd commonly see on a restored car either, but certainly indicative of the "good enough" mantra Yenko and his crew probably lived by while converting close to 300 COPO cars in a single model year.

bkhpah
10-14-2003, 11:46 AM
We have always used the 'ORIGINAL" hole had by Yenko when remounting a 990B. They are always a little different. I have also noted one original Yenko with the monitor box under the dash away from site. Guess it depends on installer...BKH

JoeC
10-14-2003, 01:28 PM
I have seen a few locations used for the SW Tach monitor. Not only did different Yenko employees work on the cars but Yenko also used local garages to off load jobs when work load was high. Dick Harrell shop did a bunch of 67 Yenko Camaros.