PDA

View Full Version : grudge match........

COPO PETE
10-21-2003, 05:19 AM
Apperantly Matt and the boyz were at the Bistol Bash this past week-end with a few of the new ZL-1 Camaros. They had a grudge match against Big Dogs 69 ZL-1 that was participating in the Stock Appearing class at the F.A.S.T race. The new ZL-1 was running slicks and open exhaust. Pretty close race I guess. Those new Camaros haul ass!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif I hear that when the announcer announced the race, people were flocking to the fence to have a look!
Peter

sYc
10-21-2003, 12:39 PM
Interesting race to say the least. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif I am assuming Big Dog was still running his bias tires and stock manifolds?

55chevy
10-21-2003, 03:41 PM
So who won??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

matt murphy
10-22-2003, 07:45 PM
The Original ZL1, but not by much. I think that run was a 11:55 to 11:72. Those guys have some specially treated tires. They ('69 ZL1, '69 Hemi GTX, etc.) were dead hooking with those old style tires. We got lined up Saturday night and have it on video. We were set up to match race Sunday, between Larry Christenson with his new 427 ZL1 and the Orange "69 ZL1 clone, but the track had a bad wreck that took over 90 minutes to fix, and cost the rest of the days events to be pushed back and then Car Craft camera guys were out shooting a feature. Too bad, because Larry was really anxious to try the '69. The '69 was running mid 11:40's to mid 11:60's and the two 2002 ZL1's were both running low 11:60's to high 11:70's. We will post the videos and get back with a link. The announcers were loving it, as was the crowd.

55chevy
10-22-2003, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Original ZL1, but not by much.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif

John Brown
10-23-2003, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Original ZL1, but not by much. I think that run was a 11:55 to 11:72. Those guys have some specially treated tires.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt, I go with Terry Pennington (Big Dog 69 ZL1 clone) to the F.A.S.T. races and help get the car set up so it will run those FANTASTIC! 11.30's and .40's at near 125 mph.

The only "special treatment" those tires get is unbelievable abuse by Terry when he does a smoky burnout. He's a camera hog, and loves to put on a show for the spectators and photographers.

The G70x14 Goodyear Polys come directly from Kelsey Tire and go right onto ordinary 7" steel rims. Nothing goes into the tires or onto the tires. They're not a special compound or anything like that. The real reason the tires hook so well is the improvements in rubber compounds that go into all tires made now, which is much different than 1969 technology. That, and the 40 pound /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif inflation pressure.

Did I say that Terry abuses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif those tires? He replaces the rears after every two events. Right now they're as smooth as a babys bottom. Two new tires will go on before this Sunday so we can take the car to the local drag strip to try to find why the engine was breaking up every run at Bristol. Yes......every run, and still ran 11.40's and 50's. Watch out when we cure that problem (I think the coil is going away). I'm looking for low 11.20's @127 or so.

Come over next race you see that Orange 69 ZL-1 clone at, and we'll give you the 50 cent tour. It's so stock in appearance, but it's a "freakin' animal" when the pedal goes to the floor.

ChrisS
10-23-2003, 12:40 AM
John,
What track is still open there?

John Brown
10-23-2003, 01:39 AM
SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!!

Osceola Dragway, it's on the Elkhart/Saint Joseph County Line Road, also known as Indiana SR219, between old US20 and US33. www.osceoladragway.com/ (http://www.osceoladragway.com/) . Repaved last year to 330' concrete, rest is asphalt. It's retro, but it's close. This Sunday is the last Sunday listed on their schedule. I have raced there into mid November in years when the weather co-operated. Hope the weather holds out a few days longer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

COPO PETE
10-25-2003, 10:52 AM
Rumour has it there will be a shoot out for Super Chevy Magazine with the old vs the new. Should be fun! I hope you guys don't put the new one against one that's been sitting dormat for the last 20 years, and race it on 20 year old rubber. You won't be doing anyone any justice if you totally kill the old legend. The new cars are simply amazing, but in your effort to show the world, make sure the old ZL-1 is really truely tunned and ready. A mid 13 old ZL-1 showing would be unfortunate!!! It will be highly watched as demonstated by the interest in Bristol.
Peter

Chevy454
10-25-2003, 04:10 PM
You're right, Pete, sounds cool! But, as you said, the choice of cars is *crucial*. Tires & exhaust also needs to be taken into consideration. I don't care how "treated" a Polyglass tire is, there's no friggin' way 6" of bias treaded tires are even gonna hold a candle to a 10" wide slick! Your losing 8" of total tread width! And the headers vs. manifolds thing is a no-brainer.

Done correctly this could be a very cool thing...

BIGDOG
10-26-2003, 12:13 AM
Name the time and place, we will get it on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif.
Also maybe Copo Pete with his ZL-1, Rob with the Yenko might come out and play with the new ZL-1'S /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif.
They are very FAST and very BADD.
With the slicks on the new ZL-1 it HOOK HARD and BOY with the headers it sounds the part,it had me to the 1/8 mi that is one bad BOY!

BIGDOG
10-26-2003, 01:15 AM
How bout, Super Chevy at Indy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif
Get some old ZL-1 camaros to race the new ZL-1 camaros,and throw in a yellow YENKO too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Chevy454
10-26-2003, 02:25 AM
If they're on street tires (not DOT slicks either!) and their exhaust is capped I'm game... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

JChlupsa
10-26-2003, 04:39 AM
LV should have never sold the 69 ZL1. Match race both of yours against each other and be a winner no matter what.

You going to take the 02 ZL1 out to play???

MotownMadman
10-26-2003, 05:10 AM
Jeff,
You look good in green.....
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eddie M.
10-30-2003, 06:25 PM
You guys have all the fun back there i'd sure like to see that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif