PDA

View Full Version : Big Block Chevy Valve Cover Needed

mssl72
10-30-2003, 06:21 AM
I'm looking for a driver side valve cover for a 1966 big block Chevy. The valve cover should have the following: drippers, 2 spot welded clips for the temperature sender wire, 2 spark plug wire stand-offs and a small power booster notch that's about the size of a silver dollar. I've put 2 links here for 2 pictures that show what it should look like. You can see the position of the temp sender clips, the plug wire stand-offs and the size of the power booster notch. I'm looking for something that is very clean. Basically, no/minimal rust or dents. No repops. Thanks.

http://home.att.net/~mssl72/640valvecvr2.JPG
http://home.att.net/~mssl72/640valvecvr3.JPG

mssl72
12-05-2003, 07:24 AM
I'm still looking for that elusive valve cover. Somebodies got to have one laying around. Please?

Pantera
12-05-2003, 12:37 PM
I see lots of valve covers when I do a search for corvettes on Ebay.

mssl72
12-06-2003, 07:15 AM
Well, I search ebay everyday and haven't seen the correct stuff yet. That's why I'm still searching.

Pantera
12-06-2003, 09:07 PM
I know the feeling I need a NOS rear taillight panel for my '69 vette and so far have not found one.

chevelleshack
12-07-2003, 08:48 PM
Just saw your post . You must be needing one of those in a BAD way . That is such a rare piece ! Those go for a mint on e-bay . People are always looking for those . You would give alot of money for it if i had one wouldn't you ? Had a guy offer me 100 bucks for it & wouldn't sell it . Sorry , just had to use some of the lines that have been pulled on me from time to time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif . I do have one though . It is not in pristene condition like the one you have in your photo ( small dents , no rust to speak of ) . Does not have drippers & didn't look like it ever had them ? Anyway , want $ 25 for it so i don't think you could go wrong . Can probably send some photo's tomorrow if you want .

mssl72
12-08-2003, 01:57 AM
chevelleshack- nice try. Thanks, but no thanks.

mssl72
12-08-2003, 02:05 AM
Do you have a GM part number for the taillight panel?

hvychev
12-08-2003, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
chevelleshack- nice try. Thanks, but no thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif huh?

Seattle Sam
12-08-2003, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for a driver side valve cover for a 1966 big block Chevy. The valve cover should have the following: drippers, 2 spot welded clips for the temperature sender wire, 2 spark plug wire stand-offs and a small power booster notch that's about the size of a silver dollar....Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frank, Chevelleshack said his had no drippers.

-Sam

BACKN 68
12-08-2003, 11:09 AM
Mark,

Crane's Corvette Supply appears to have what you are looking for. They are reproduction, but they do fit. http://www.cranescorvette.com/corvette_valve_covers.htm

#V65-6P = PAIR--CORVETTE 1965-66 BIG BLOCK PB W/ DRIPPERS -BARE TO PAINT-

Kent

Pantera
12-08-2003, 03:21 PM
Oh I can find all the repro parts I want but I only want a NOS factory part to put on as valuable a car as this is. Thanks for trying to help. repro parts just don't fit quite as well as a factory part. I want this car to be as original as it can be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

chevelleshack
12-08-2003, 09:13 PM
Pardon me , may i have a towel ? Need to wipe the SPIT off my face . Don't imagine you have heard the saying , beggers can't be choosers ? I dare say there will be no more takers on your ad , afraid they can't measure up to your extreme standards . So what mine has no drippers ? Can't hardly see the spot welds from them on a painted valve cover anyway . Not much other reason for needing drippers , is there ? Nice try ? What's that all about ? Had the item described ( minus drippers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif ) at a reasonable price ( in my mind ) . Didn't try to do anything but help a guy out ! Oh well , at least now i know what car this engine came out of ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Chevy454
12-09-2003, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can't hardly see the spot welds from them on a painted valve cover anyway . Not much other reason for needing drippers , is there ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The drippers are there for a reason...just like same the slotted rocker balls. Been there, done that, learned the hard way...story of my life! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BTW, I *think* we have a set of those valve covers, that came off of a '66 L-72 we bought from the left coast. They are currently on the Nova's engine on the stand, but I'll take a look tomorrow.

mssl72
12-09-2003, 06:46 AM
Rob, thanks. Let me know what you find.

Kent- I have seen those. I may be heading that way. I thought I would try to find an original first. Thanks for the heads up.

yountto
12-12-2003, 02:15 PM
Mark, I have exactly what you want in pristine condition.They are from a September 1965 produced 427/425 Impala[ID suffix stamp pad].I have the entire motor which had 1965 dated bearings when dissasembled and these still have remnants of silver gaskets ..They look exact to your photo,they do not nor should not have drippers being an early 66 production vehicle.Later on in production the drippers were added. I dont usually answer wanted ads but its semms like you are running in circles so far,maybe i can help out.

Kim_Howie
12-12-2003, 08:26 PM
I went and looked at my valve covers I have 4 of the type he's looking for and none of them have drippers Kim

mssl72
12-13-2003, 07:08 AM
My engine was assembled 11/29/65. Do you have any idea at what point they would have introduced drippers?

yountto
12-13-2003, 01:49 PM
From original 1966 427s ive owned in the past and have taken apart id say they were no drippers from start of production [august 1965] thru november 1965 or thereabouts ,mixed from november thru dec 65/jan 66..after jan 66 they were all drippers...this is based on having approximately 100 of these 1966 427 motors[Corvette and passenger] in the past[surely a few may have had been changed over time,and some had covers missing , but a fair amount had never been apart].....

Unreal
12-15-2003, 02:15 AM
I have a chrome one which is like what he wants, and it has drippers.