PDA

View Full Version : Yenko question. 2parter...

Ironhorse
10-30-2003, 10:23 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif How many yenko camaro's were painted black?. And did they ever try to make a convertible yenko camaro?.
Kim " Big Dawg" Deuel
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif
68 camaro rs/ss 396 conv.
66 Impala SS427 conv.

camarojoe
10-30-2003, 11:17 PM
If you are referring to 69's..none, and no. I know they made at least one black 67... anyone else know any others?

T Billigen
10-31-2003, 12:19 AM
A few years ago I looked at some original literature from Span Inc. A fellow that worked at a local car dealership asked me if I wanted to buy it. Seems that in 1967 he worked at a dealership in Kewaskum, WI. They were aprroached by Span to sell 67 Yenko Camaros. I remember the literature listing four colors that were to be sold and black was not one of them. I'm sure they must have changed there mind because Parks Car is the real deal! the colors were white, blue, and two other colors that I cannot remember. I know he sold all the literature to a fellow in Milwaukee. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Ironhorse
10-31-2003, 01:06 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif The reason that I ask is because in some pictures that I have seen on other web sites show a "back yard" storage with at least two black camaro's at Yenko Chevrolet waiting to be converted to syc cars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

T Billigen
10-31-2003, 01:28 AM
I think you are seeing the dark green cars. They just look black in the picture.

Unreal
10-31-2003, 01:54 AM
How about Douglass asterisk Yenkos? Any black ones known?

Fhakya
11-02-2003, 07:55 AM
Hey CamaroJoe, by chance do you have a pic of the black 67? I've never seen it. Thanks,
-Mark

Z28fan
11-02-2003, 09:49 PM
I don't know about a black '67 Yenko but there was 1 black '68 Z/28 Convertible made.

Here's the story about it.
[ QUOTE ]
This Z may be the rarest Camaro of all - There was only one 1968 Z/28 Camaro Convertible ever built, which was built for Chevrolet General Manager Pete Estes on July 15, 1968. Options included a folding rear seat, auxiliary console-mounted instruments, auxiliary lighting, power windows, remote outside mirror, custom seat belts, performance suspension package, four-wheel disc brakes, blue light stereo system, posi-traction, ë69 prototype fiberglass hood, cross-ram air and powder coated factory headers. This car was then delivered to Mr. Estes through Bill Markley Chevrolet in Detroit. The Z was used as Mr. Estes daily transportation until December 17, 1968. On that day, it was officially sold to its first owner, T.H. Standen. Mr. Standen sold the car to Vern Nye, another GM employee, only two years later, in whose hands it remained for nearly 20 years. Only recently was the car made known to the public. The car was sold at auction to the Rock 'n Roll Toy Store, LTD., in Highland park, IL. So how did this "only Z" come to be built at all? According to Jim Mattison, who worked in the special projects division at the time, they needed approval to build the Z/28 for the general public instead of trying to build just enough to homologate for SCCA racing. They figured that if Pete Estes, the Chevrolet General manager, drove a Z/28 he would like it enough to approve the plan. The problem was that Estes was a convertible freak, and he wouldn't drive anything else. They could give him a regular Z/28 coupe but it would probably just sit in the company garage. They decided the only solution was to build a convertible Z/28 and give that to Estes. The result - Estes drove the car, loved it, and we got the Z/28.

[/ QUOTE ]

'68 Z/28 Convertible (http://www.68rscamaro.com/68cams/68cv_z2801.jpg)

Charley Lillard
11-02-2003, 10:10 PM
Z28 Fan...The 68 Z28 Convert is Green. My Friend has the Black 67 Yenko. I will try to get a Pic.

sixtiesmuscle
11-02-2003, 10:48 PM
You have a friend?? HAH!! Jim says /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/CharleySucks.gif

Charley Lillard
11-02-2003, 11:22 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Charley.gif Here is the black 67 Yenko with Red Guts...

ssl78
11-03-2003, 12:53 AM
According to Jack Douglass there were 2 black * Yenkos. Niether have been found. But when I had my car at the reunion this year, I was talking to a guy who remembers talking to someone at the street machine nats in he thinks the mid 80s, when the event was held in Springfield. Who was the second owner of a original paint black Yenko Camaro. I have asked around but cant find any more info about this car. The guy I was talking to at the reunion, who I have known for awhile and knows Camaros since he owns seven of them said it looked legite but knew that was not a Yenko color.

azrapse
11-03-2003, 01:54 AM
Here's a couple pics of a '69 - don't know too much about the car. It is probably a clone, but looks really awesome in black.

#1:

azrapse
11-03-2003, 02:15 AM
#2:

azrapse
11-03-2003, 02:19 AM
..and another - Black w/ Red Yenko striping. Different, but cool.