PDA

View Full Version : 69 CamaroPhase III aluminum motor cars?

Alfred
11-25-2003, 06:43 AM
I am doing some research on the rarest super camaro's known to mankind. I have heard of an all aluminum motored camaro made in 1969 that was modified by Joel R. I have heard them referred to as the ZLX Phase III motion cars? Anyone know if any of them survived? or how many were made?
Thanks for the help

resto4u
11-25-2003, 12:38 PM
Yes there is one of these cars around. The car is also on the market. Contact board member "supercars" for more info. Roger

JoeC
11-25-2003, 01:17 PM
I believe the ZLX is an all cast iron engine.
The extreme Hi po BB Chevy Engines were derivatives of the original 1967 L88 although the specs changed year to year somewhat. The L88 is a 427 cu in alu head hi po BB , LS7 is a 454 cu in L88, ZL1 is an alu block L88, ZLX is a all cast iron 454 LS7 spec engine.

sixtiesmuscle
11-25-2003, 02:12 PM
I don't think it's possible to be that exact with a definition of a "ZLX" motor. Like the term "Phase III", we want to identify exactly what that includes, but, it wasn't an exact package of equipment or options. The most publicized "ZLX" is the one Kevin now has, and, it is very well documented as having been built with aluminum heads.

Similarly, all "Phase III" cars didn't have identical engine or body modifications, including stripes, hood, and side pipes.

JoeC
11-25-2003, 04:20 PM
Phase III was a general term used on many items including complete cars, hoods, ign boxes, and many other Motion items. The Motion engine packages were more specific.
In the Motion Phase III Racing Engine catalog the Phase III ZLX 454 575 hp engine spec sheet list shows ìspecial Cast Iron open chamber cyl heads with a note ìour most popular engine packageî. They also list a Phase III ZLX 454 625 hp ìfull competitionî engine ìsame as aboveî but with 2x4 tunnel ram and .600 plus lift cam.
Another note lists the alu heads as $300.00 option available on all BB engines.
There is another ad for ZLX heads decribing them as cast iron open chamber heads same design as sec design ZL1 alum heads. From what I can tell in the Motion info, the basic ZLX was all cast iron then you would add the alu heads as an option as you could have done with other engines. I am sure Joel did not worry about exact names such as Chevy did where the alu head engine would get its own name such as RPO L89.

sixtiesmuscle
11-25-2003, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the clarification Joe. I agree wholeheartedly. There seems to be a tendency to use the term "Phase III" to indicate that a particular car had every possible engine & body option possible. I suppose that's easier than listing the individual "Phase III" options that a car has.

Born30YrsLate
11-25-2003, 09:14 PM
Joel stated that he built one Baldwin Motion Camaro in '69 modified with a ZL1 (full aluminum motor)...is this what you could be referring to?

Alfred
11-27-2003, 08:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Joel stated that he built one Baldwin Motion Camaro in '69 modified with a ZL1 (full aluminum motor)...is this what you could be referring to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes this is the car I am speaking of. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif the 69 ZL-1 Camaro Motion car. I have been tracking this car for sometime now. I tracked this very car from Calf. to the Phoenix area. I talked breifly with the last owner about 6 months ago and it seems the car was sold a few years back to a guy in the midwest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Any info on it's where abouts or who the owner of this car is?
Thanks
Al

Born30YrsLate
11-28-2003, 02:10 AM
You need to fill in your profile...

Schonyenko2
11-28-2003, 02:27 AM
Alfred, when you fill out your profile, shoot me a pm. Schonye

55chevy
11-28-2003, 04:59 AM
alfred, do you have any specific info on this car or even photos you could share? Sounds like a unique BM car.. not that they all aren't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alfred
11-28-2003, 05:26 AM
Yes I do have pics of the car however they are all hard copy nothing digital /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

JoeC
11-28-2003, 01:26 PM
Alfred,
What kind of hood and/or spoiler is on this car?
Does it have Motion emblems or stripes?
If you want to post the pictures you can take a digital photo of the pictures or bring them to a store to get them scanned and put on a disk. I am sure many would like to see the pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif