PDA

View Full Version : Shelby Question

mike2
12-08-2003, 06:59 PM
In the 60's (when but a wee lad I was) my uncle took me to a race at Green Valley RaceWay, north of Dallas,TX. There was a sports car race going on that Sunday. The featured team and car that day was Carrol Shelby and the "King Cobra"
I was so taken by the Cobras that I have never forgotten that day.
I have since asked, cajoled and threatened people to tell me about the King Cobras. Nobody has been able to help me.
My question: Does anybody know of or remember the King Cobra. I have written Shelby with no response to date.
To the best of my recollection, it was a CanAm (type) car.
It was so much faster than the canam corvettes and others in the race that it lapped the field.
The car was magnificant as I remember it. If anybody has pictures of the car or know where I can find out about it please let me know.
Mike

JoeC
12-08-2003, 07:19 PM
There was a CanAm car that Shelby called the King Cobra but I don't think it did very well against the alu Chevy BB cars.

copo9566aa
12-08-2003, 07:40 PM
Sheby King Cobra /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif
Full history in Shelby American Cobra/Mustang Guide.
It's a cooper Monaco 63/64 with a 289 Shelby in them.

copo9566aa
12-08-2003, 08:15 PM
Color pic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

King Cobra (http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/MoreVintageRacing3.html#King%20Cobra)

JoeC
12-08-2003, 08:16 PM
Roger, did they build a King Cobra with a 429 Ford engine? I remember a 429 Ford powered CanAm car that Mario Andretti blew up.

copo9566aa
12-08-2003, 08:28 PM
JoeC I'am not an expert in Can-AM cars.
Really not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

mike2
12-08-2003, 09:57 PM
Thanks copo, that is the most info anyone has had on this subject to date.
I do think that the car I am thinking about was a BB. But I will keep trying to find out more.
The pics you attached did have a resemblance to the car but as I recall it looked a little wider and lower with much larger rear tires. Fenders more flared, etc.
It very well could have been a SB car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

copo9566aa
12-08-2003, 10:22 PM
This one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif ???
One with a 351 and one with a 427
Another Can Am in 67 "Cougar Cobra" resembling King Cobra. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif

TimG
12-08-2003, 10:26 PM
The hard cover book of the Shelby Cobras will provide lots of great pictures in a chapter dedicated to this car.
There is a shot of one with front end damage and it looks like a fish mouth. They just hammered it straight and went on racing.

mike2
12-12-2003, 12:30 AM
That's it copo. You are da man. Where in the world do you come up with all those pics.
Thanks again.
I knew it was bigger than the other previous pic. This car was bad to the bone, the day I saw it.

MotownMadman
12-12-2003, 04:40 AM
Mike,
With owning a vintage Team Shelby Trans Am car I have everything ever published on Shelbys, I will go through and see what I can locate for you.
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

TimG
12-12-2003, 01:13 PM
Good friend and long time local racer, Tom Moore, took thousands of pictures and movies from Green Valley and other tracks he frequented. Tom began racing his new '63 Corvette in 1963 and has raced thousands of times since then.
Some of his slides are amazing. I convinced him to put together about 70 for the Waco NCRS event in 2002 and he presented a power point display. Don Yenko in a L88 Corvette. Dick Thompson in a Mustang. The #1 Grand Sport with electrical tape holding the front end together and on a crummy old trailer. We only scratched the surface of what he has. I'm sure he took a shot of the CAN AM car.

MotownMadman
12-12-2003, 01:38 PM
Tim,
Would he have any photos of the #2 Team Shelby Trans Am Mustang in 68? It was yellow/black then Ford corporate blue. Drove by Horst Kweck, Parnelli Jones, Dan Gurney, and David Pearson. Let me know. Jerry Titus was driving the #1 car for that team in 68 until 69 when he joined Pontiac racing the first TA Firebird which Jim Mattison now owns and is raced by his son JB in vintage TA class.
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

JoeC
12-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Was Tom Moore related to Ben Moore who was a driver on the Yenko/Gulf Oil 1961 Sebring team? Where was Tom from?

JoeC
12-12-2003, 02:03 PM
I have an ignition box that came from Gulf Oil research. I know Gulf sponsored the GT-40s and some Mustangs in late 60s but not sure what this CD box is from. It looks like a late 60s Delta CD box and has a Gulf Oil research decal and a #2 tag on the side. see pic

TimG
12-15-2003, 01:30 PM
I don't think Tom is related to Bud, I am sure he would have told me over the years. He may very well have pictures or movies of the car. We did some research on his slides a little over a year ago and found some great shots.
I would like to look at all the movies and slides he has, much is quite valuable. His information could take days to review.