PDA

View Full Version : Yenko Deuce Stripe Theory

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-26-2003, 07:26 PM
In the 7+ years of researching the Yenko Deuce Novas, some theories inevitably arise, get tested, and are either confirmed, denied or continue. Such is the case with the stripe design that Don designed for the '70 Yenko Nova.

Take into account Don's personal racing career, the origin of the sYc, numerous ad's, the brochure, and most importantly, the actual design of the Yenko Deuce's drivetrain/suspension combination, and take a look at these photos - especially the early ad that Kim Howie found.

http://www.yenko.net/reunion/yenkodb.jpg

http://www.boss302.com/0F183722.JPG

I believe that Don's effort with the '70 Yenko Deuce was to bring the sYc back to SCCA racing, primarily to compete with the Boss product!

What do you think?

camarojoe
12-26-2003, 08:50 PM
I think thats a VERY good possiblity that Don "took" some ideas from the Boss 302 'stang, and that oddball positioning of the hood stripes in the attachment does look VERY similar to the layout of the 70 Boss stripes...i saw that similarity the first time that old ad was posted a few months ago... There are many more similarities to consider too, hood tachs, magnum 500 wheels, high revving small block, etc...I feel that it is possible, and probably likely, that Don's original ideas for the Deuce included SCCA Trans-Am racing. Very interesting thoughts indeed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif Tom C... do you have anything in that giant vault of Yenko paperwork of yours that may support this idea? How about you Joe C?

camarojoe
12-26-2003, 08:57 PM
Another notable thing to go along with this idea... compare the Boss 302 hood scoop to the original promotional photos of the Deuce with that AMC hoodscoop on it...hmmm!

MikeA
12-26-2003, 09:28 PM
I think the Trans-Am theory is a possibility but I wonder why it never happened. I donít know too much about SCCA Trans-Am racing but was/is there a minimum number of vehicles that had to be produced in order to qualify? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Salvatore
12-26-2003, 11:13 PM
I believe that the kid he paid $2.00 an hour to put them on, put them on wrong. Maybe these cars wern't selling real well so he tried something new. There might not be any theory at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

sYc
12-26-2003, 11:51 PM
Will look in my "vault" when I get time, but until then here is a bone or two. Don Yenko and Larry Shinoda (I hope I spelled that right), of Mustang fame, were good friends. In fact, I have a drawing or two of possible paint schemes Larry sent to Don to consider for his plane.

In addition, Don was an acomplished artist, who loved to set around and draw cars with various stripe/paint schemes. i have one such drawing of a Nova in my collection of stuff.

hvychev
12-27-2003, 05:25 AM
What ever the case may be the Deuce stripe design has to be one of the best created IMO. I am a big stripe & graphic fan of all musdcle cars and the Deuce package must have had a lot of thought involved and is very creative. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

camarojoe
12-27-2003, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe that the kid he paid $2.00 an hour to put them on, put them on wrong. Maybe these cars wern't selling real well so he tried something new. There might not be any theory at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are way too many similarities (besides the stripe layout) between the basic "package" of the Yenko Deuce vs. the Boss 302. If the Deuces were not built to compete with the 302s they were at least influenced by them. I did know about the larry Shinoda/Don yenko friendship, although I hadn't made the connection. Its also interesting that the Deuces had rear sway bars... not something that drag racers would be too interested in usually, but a definite advantage for a road racer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

MikeA
12-27-2003, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In addition, Don was an acomplished artist, who loved to set around and draw cars with various stripe/paint schemes. i have one such drawing of a Nova in my collection of stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom,
When you open the "vault" please post the drawing of the Nova. I would like to see it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Salvatore
12-27-2003, 07:04 PM
I always thought that the Deuces were just to top heavy or bad center of gravity to compete with the Camaro or Mustang in circle racing. With the LT1 they obviously had enough power. Maybe they just wanted to see what the different layout looked like on the hood. Yenko might have thought with all this power, they needed a sway bar just so his costumers wouldn't kill themselves. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

LVCamaro
12-27-2003, 07:12 PM
Here's a 73 Nova drawing by Don Yenko that I got from a very good friend for Christmas. Note the stripe pattern.

Mr70
12-27-2003, 10:55 PM
That is a Nice Picture SS.
Props to your Friend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

sYc
12-27-2003, 11:02 PM
Mike, my drawing is some what similar to LVs, and I believe Marlin has one as well.

As I wonder through the vault, looking for tidbits of information related to the Deuce, I would have to say that the car's intended use was drag racing.

In a letter April 26, 1971, Yenko was notified that the Yenko Deuce would be permitted to run in F/Stock at NAAR (National Association Automobile Racing) drag racing events.

As per NHRA, I have a letter from Don to Wally Parks asking the NHRA to classify the Yenko Deuce ASAP. In the letter, Don stated, that as of 8-5-70, they had sold 500 Yenko Deuces. In a letter dated 4-29-71, Don sent a letter to Darwin Doll, York PA, asking why the Deuce had not been classified yet. This would be the same Darwin Doll who for years was with NHRA and now heads up the York US 30 show.

In March, when Don made this request to the NAAR and NHRA about classifing the Deuce, he also requested that they "consider the potential classification of our 1971 vehicle so that it may compete as soon as we have met the minimum quanity requitements. The car, called the Yenko ZA is a Camaro with a hyd. valve lifter 400-CID small block enigne, 4 barrell Holley carb and Z-28 heads".

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-30-2003, 08:37 PM
Tom;
I would agree with you that Don eventually pushed the deuce to be certified for drag racing, hence the correspondence with the NAAR and the NHRA. But, I would propose that his initial purpose, and therefore the design of both the car and stripe package, was to produce an entry for SCCA racing - similar to AAR Cudas. I believe that nothing would have made Don happier than to have his name on the side of an GM built SCCA sanctioned racecar, just like the Shelbys, Boss 2's, and AAR's. When he realized that it probably wasn't going to happen, and the buyers were from the drag racing market, he may have switched gears and requested NHRA cert's.

Sam,
I'm just throwing a theory out there based on lots of small indications like the ones that the Barr bros. typed. That's not to say that the kids didn't make a mistake or two, that already well documented, but I don't know that Yenko would have used a 'stripe mistake' as a brochure photo! I think that stripe application was one of his initial ideas to copy the Boss '2 look, and may have thought it distasteful or to copious.

Either way, Howies find is very interesting http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Salvatore
12-30-2003, 11:58 PM
Marlin, These are the kind of discussions that keep our hobby going. Why, How, When and Where! Can you imagine how boring this car stuff would be if everything was documented and there was a answer for every questioned asked? Everybody needs to have and use their imagination. Keep the discussions coming!! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif