PDA

View Full Version : Camshafts used in the motion 427's

copojoe
12-31-2003, 05:36 PM
Anyone now the specs on the cams used in the motion cars with the 427's? I understand they were L88's but i think they changed the cams! I'm cloning a 69 camaro motion and need to know the specs if possible. Thanks!

Pantera
01-01-2004, 01:33 AM
Do yourself a favor and don't try to go too wild on the "cam". It will be a handfull to drive in trafic and overheat easy too! I doubt many could tell the difference in the sound but you will not be running such a huge chance of dropping a valve because these motors are hard on valve trains.

PxTx
01-01-2004, 03:12 AM
I agree. Motion sold all sorts of cams and used whatever worked with the rest of the components. I think any street/strip solid lifter camshaft will fit the bill! Do your best to choose one that complements your parts combination.

copojoe
01-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Thanks, i justg bought the comp cams 280R roller grind, it's easy on the valve train they say and should be a great street performer! Thanks!

copojoe
01-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Thanks, i just bought the comp cams 280R roller grind, it's easy on the valve train they say and should be a great street performer! Thanks!

PxTx
01-02-2004, 10:31 PM
Agreed, rollers will make more power and can be easier on the valve train, but I love that nostalgia sound of a solid tappet camshaft.

copojoe
01-03-2004, 04:06 AM
Cool, I was thinking on putting 2 1/2 chambered exhaust on the car, does theat system restrict in anyway? I just don't like the sound of the flowmasters and want the old time ping pang sound! Any suggestions on the exhaust?

COPO
01-03-2004, 01:33 PM
You could go with the mid year corvette side exhaust. Pricey, but definetely Motion. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

PxTx
01-03-2004, 02:40 PM
Around Philadelphia PA the old Corvair turbo mufflers were the hot set-up. Dyno-Max modeled their "Super Turbo" series after this design. Don't know what the hot set-up was in your area, ask around.

copojoe
01-03-2004, 05:21 PM
I looked into the gardner system and it looks to be a pretty good deal. I'm going to talk to them on Monday to get the proper info. If not them, i'll just get the super turbo's from DynoMax. Thanks for all the info everyone!
CopoJoe

JoeC
01-03-2004, 05:41 PM
MR Motion liked side pipes. Many of the Motion cars got them. Even put them on his wife's 89 Mustang GT but of course it depends on what you like also.

Pantera
01-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Exuast is a personal thing you will find out. I would go slow and try to hang out where the hot cars are and when you hear something you think you like the sound of then ask them what they are using. Go out on a weekend when everybody is out crusing and then you may narrow what you are looking for. A set of headers going into a exaust system will have the ping you are describing more so than when you use the stock manifolds on the motor. be sure that you and your honey will want to listen to the burble all the time you are driving. Eveybody has their favorite and you will see if you just ask them. Take your time and get just what "YOU" want because you can drop some serious money on a exaust if you are not carefull. Good luck and be sure to let us know what you decide.
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

As for me!! I love the sound of Hooker chrome outside exaust with glasspac inserts but you sure will learn quick to step out wide or you will suffer a scar on your ankle, that you will not soon forget. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

COPO
01-03-2004, 11:32 PM
Pantera, my old highschool girlfriend has a scar on her leg from the chrome hooker sidepipes I had on my 70 Z-28 just like you described. She only did that once! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pantera
01-04-2004, 01:50 AM
AAAHHHhhh yes that does stimulate the ole memories of yesterdays gone by.... Of course those were good times till you did that and I still have a place on my leg to show for it myself .... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

427TJ
01-08-2004, 12:21 AM
Back in my "Street Freak" days in California 20+ years ago we ran "turbo" mufflers and I still love that sound. My buddy still has the 20 year-old turbos on his '67 Camaro SS 396 and the motor is a crate LS-7 he bought new in '88. Talk about a wonderful sound! I even videoed it warming up in his driveway a few years ago--it sounds THAT good.

In my HUMBLE opinion, Flowmasters tend to sound like galvanized garbage cans unless you run a strong big-block. I'd lean toward the Summit Turbos. Just my two cents.

I like Pantera's idea too--go to shows, etc., and listen to cars and ask questions.

copojoe
01-11-2004, 08:33 PM
Thanks!

copojoe
01-11-2004, 08:39 PM
I'm leaning towards the altra flow dynomax's, i would like to hear that video, Man, LS7, those were the days! My buddy had one in his 69 camaro and just changed the intake to a Team G and a 1050 Dominator and the car ran 10:65 128. Thanks!

BUIZILLA
01-12-2004, 12:29 AM
If you can find them, the original Walker part# is 21348 for the 2 1/2" Corvair Turbo mufflers. I wish they would make that EXACT design again. Unique and awesome sound. Most everybody down in Miami, who knew anything... used to run them too. I would buy 30 originals today if I could find them.

J

427TJ
01-12-2004, 07:36 PM
What's the difference between the old Walker turbo muffler and the current Summit turbo? Just curious.

I'll tell my buddy that his 20+ year-old turbos are valuable and to keep them if he ever updates his Camaro's exhaust. He hasn't turned a wrench on it in any significant way since the LS7 went in in 1988 so my guess is that those turbos will still be under the car in 20 more years...