PDA

View Full Version : Yenko Camaro VIN 124379N615272..and its' history

02-03-2004, 03:30 AM
First off I would like to say that this post isn't meant to be malicious or to hurt an individual. While the owner is known to some, it isn't my intention to post his name nor should others. It is meant to be a record of a REAL Yenko that has an interesting history and to serve as a reminder that while certain info is known, doing your homework is essential before a purchase.

The car in question is a real Daytona Yellow, black vinyl roof Yenko Camaro with a VIN of 124379N615272. It is currently "restored" and while I haven't personally seen the car I'm told it looks stock. However such wasn't always the case.

The Camaro has an interesting history dating back to 1970. The local lore is that the car was purchased from Hechler Motors by John Zagos (sp?) a local drag boat/street racer. Hechler was a performance oriented dealer and Zagos was well known. He actually ended up purchasing the yellow ZL1 1969 Corvette from Hechler Motors in late 1970/early 1971. The car received a set of mini tubs along with a Dana 60 rear end in 1970, and was street/strip raced.

After a series of owners and drivetrain combinations the car ended up being regulated to the backyard where Mike Roberts of Mechanicsville, VA found the car in 1980. In 1980 the car was still wearing the original paint and remenants of the original vinyl stripes when Mike bought it.

He wanted a street car, and over the next few years, and many different drivetrain combinations, built a strong running car. Mike wound up receivng some magazine coverage in 1987, in I think Cars Illustrated with an article describing the fact it was a Yenko, but also a race car.

When the Richmond Super Chevy Show debuted in 1995, the car was sporting a full "pro street," look. The car by that time had aluminum full tubs, a gusseted frame, full aluminum interior (they had taken out the original floors, trans tunnel, and back seat bracing), and a full cage. The original dash and firewall were not affected however. The car was running in the 8's and was a mainstay at the local tracks. Now enter Mick Price.

Mick Price had tracked down the car, this would have been in 1997 or 1998. After repeated phone calls and finally getting the cowl and VIN info Mick made an offer on the car of 25k. According to Mike, Mick didn't seem at all concerned about the condition of the body or the fact that the car was a full blown race car..He was only interested in the tag info and the condition of the firewall and dash. Mike sold the car and forgot about it.

I ended up running into Mike and asked about his old car. He told me he sold it in 1997 or 1998 to a "Yenko guy," and that he felt it was restored in a collection. I made a few inquires here and after a few discussions located the car. The current owner has had the car about 1 year, and after talking to him knows the "history" on his car. I have also talked to a few other people that know the car and they feel comfortable that the car was a "firewall back rebody." It is still a bonafide Yenko VIN, just not an original sheetmetal car.

The point here is that while the current owner doesn't care, others might and therefore any potential purchaser needs to know the complete story. The current owner is a nice guy, and I'm sure will disclose the history of the car. This post isn't meant to point any fingers as to who or what was actually did to the car, but to make everyone aware if the car is ever resold. The biggest lesson that I think can be learned is to do your homework..BEFORE you buy. A few simple calls or a visual inspection by a competent "Yenko person," might have steered the owner into another car. With so much being faked and so much money being passed around it is very important to know the car you are buying. I did find it interesting that in researching this car I spoke to others that know of similar cars, with similar "issues" in other collections..some of them big name guys. Therefore don't by the "story," (as gun collectors say..)or the reputation of the person selling ...buy the car.

T Billigen
02-03-2004, 03:52 AM
It looks like you did your homework! If everyone was this thorough there would be a lot less law suits. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif This is a great forum for verifying cars and documentation, you can't get much past these guys http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

resto4u
02-03-2004, 01:56 PM
There is a ZL-1 that has had about the same kind of sheetmetal surgery also, does not seem to affect the value. I do agree with your point that it should be disclosed when the car is sold. But i also think if you look closely at the car, your eyes would give you a clue something is not quite right. This is one reason if i was to spend big $$$ on a car, it would be up on a hoist for a very close inspection. Roger

02-03-2004, 03:08 PM
While the cars value is a matter of opinion, I think this case proves the point of factory documentation and before any purchase researching the car. Talk to former owners, make an internet search, talk to other collectors. This is especially important if the car has been restored as fresh paint, new interiors, and "clean" engines can hide things. Also above all else take a qualified person along if you aren't..I understand the owner of this Yenko passed on having a noted collector look at the car to asscertain the condition and value.

shor
02-04-2004, 02:08 AM
HOLY COW BATMAN !!!

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/68963-holy%20cow%20batman%20web.jpg

Mr Yenko
02-04-2004, 02:41 AM
I thought that VIN # sounded familar.It was just a matter of time before the TRUTH would show its UGLY face.I recall there was more to that story??? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif"MOF"

T Billigen
02-04-2004, 03:07 AM
Mr. Yenko, don't keep us in suspense,! What is the rest of the story? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Ahhh! Where can I find a grape ape?

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Charley.gif

farone
02-04-2004, 02:30 PM
I don't know about the about the rest of the car, but I have one of the few known original pieces of the Grape Ape....the front sway bar!!! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

Belair62
02-04-2004, 02:58 PM
I hate to dig up a dead horse...but I will...Zedder posted info on a bogus buildsheet on a car someone from this board had for sale ....without even naming names his post was deleted...and he was subsequently banned...for reasons other than the post. Now here we have info and a VIN no less being posted about a re-bodied car and there seems to be no problem with this...is the owner not a member of this board ? I don't have a problem with info like this becoming public because it usually stays in the background as whipsers but no one ever says anything publicly...but if there is a problem with one car and it is made public then we should be willing to read about ANY car that there is questions about...we can't be selective anymore...values are high and this board should be willing to post any and all info on something bogus...we pick apart nearly every car that gets posted or is found on e-bay for sale...so to our Admins and Moderators...keep it in perspective and keep it even handed...

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-04-2004, 03:35 PM
A dead horse? How about a 'dead ape'?
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

Belair62
02-04-2004, 03:57 PM
There you go with little mysterious comments...why not post the VINS of all the re-bodied or "extensively restored" Deuces you know Marlin, as Greg did ? My point is you can't delete one guy and let another guy move forward when it comes to this info....Not sure why Greg decided to grace us with this critical info in public...I think he is just pissed because LS 6's aren't as valuable as Yenko/COPO cars...hell even re-bodies are worth more !! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

02-04-2004, 04:45 PM
Like I said in the first few lines of this thread....This post isn't meant to be a negative post against the current owner or the car per se. It is a real Yenko VIN, and the VIn has a neat history. While I'm not familar with "Zedder's" post I agree that one shouldn't be removed.

I received an email on my private email from someone questioning my "motives" and how did I knwo about the car being a race car...Well the short answer is because I know the former owner and the cars history is well documented as far as a race car goes. I did find it interesting that the person that sent the email didn't sign it nor when I sent my phone number did they call...So..if you are reading..step up and call or post. My motive in posting this is strictly to inform future potential purchasers about that VIN, and to relay a neat history on a real car. If I step on the toes of some of you guys because I called out a car...oh well..get over it...If you aren't gulity of anything then you have nothing to worry about. As far as the info remaining in the shadows and being "whispered" about...So that is ok, as long as it doesn't cause anyone any embarrassment??? Well maybe some guys need to be called out..The truth always comes out..especially in the global world of the internet...

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-04-2004, 04:49 PM
Now, Now! Get your panties out of a bunch! The 'ape' is some local folk-lore, not a government cover-up!

I for one try to not even talk about suspicious cars anymore, remember what happened a year ago with Belk's silver deuce sale - I got pulled into that one without even knowing what was going on, the suspicions were justified - but why should I bare the abuse! Why would I want to go out on a limb about suspicous cars that have been fully restored? If a buyer is paying for a car and can't figure it out - then pay someone to figure it out for them, otherwise, run the risk.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-04-2004, 04:54 PM
How was it known that it was a racecar? Wasn't it in a mag? Looking just like this one?

02-04-2004, 04:54 PM
Belair,

That is really funny...did it take you awhile to come up with that??? If you would read the original post, I think you will find that I was tracking the VIN at the same time the post about the LS6/COPO debate was going on..I've known about the Yenko since about 1987 or so....Again why shouldn't it become public knowledge, as if you feel there isn't anything wrong with what it appears was done then you shouldn't have a problem with it being in the open..might there be some truth to the rumors that there are more cars in collections like this..and heaven forbid if these cars were exposed....Whether a COPO with an apparent re-body is worth more than a LS6 is of no bearing on this topic..This post was meant to tell a history and share how the car looked..that is all.

Belair62
02-04-2004, 05:18 PM
No actually Greg since you began whining about how little the LS 6 is worth as opposed to the COPO/Yenko cars,,I have been wanting to post that !!! Take no offense...but if the shoe fits wear it !!I just would not want to be the bearer of bad news to someone in an open forum...even though I'm sure your cause is noble. But I sure wouldn't want to see the post deleted like what was done previously either.

02-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Just so everyone is 100% completely aware and understands..I spoke to the owner on 2 occasions relaying the info BEFORE posting about the condtion of the car in a public forumn..

As far as "whining" about values..well I really don't care as I'm into this hobby for the money..anyone with half a brain would find better investments..maybe like land...My point was just that people are making decisions and paying what a nice SFR cost just based on a document ( a POP) or the fact that something is "matching numbers"..only to find out that they were wrong..IMO there isn't any need to worry or whine as we each have our own opinions and values..Just don't complain and bitch when you find out you didn't buy what you thought you did..

yountto
02-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Greg , Isnt it true you were upset because he wanted your Ls6 and 150k for his car?? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif

Belair62
02-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Hope you aren't talking about me Yountto ! I don't have anything worth 190 k !!! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

02-04-2004, 06:03 PM
I really wasn't trying to buy the car..actually offered to give the VIN to someone else..and actually GAVE it to a person I had a "run in" on here with (gave this person the VIN before any real post about it)...after we mended our fences..just curious as to what happened to it..

yountto
02-04-2004, 06:19 PM
I believe the ZL1 clone on ebay already surpassed what a documented copo would bring......WOW! Clones described as clones bring more $$ than clones described as documented. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Probably because it takes the guess work out for the buyer

Racefan
02-04-2004, 07:49 PM
I have the feeling that I am wading in to waters that are going to get me into trouble. I have just officially registered with the site, even though I have been silently reading posts for a couple years now. I own two Camaros '68 & '69 which are normal old Camaros (except the 69 is an SS-350). I enjoy seeing all the talk about the Super Camaros and such on this site, but have never responded because I am not an owner of one. But, this post has my dander up. I agree totally with Belair...if you "SuperCar Gods" know of questionable cars you should make the info public. You are extremely quick to "blow the whistle" on those outside of your socio-economic class, the same interest in "keeping it pure" should go toward even those you may know. Registries have been set up to further the information availible, but if not all the information is there those references are useless. In other words, the keepers of the info should not hide behind the truth while exposing others. This leads to an unfair advantage on purchase/selling prices for your cars vs. those you "choose" to out. I hope I have misunderstood this whole post, but if what I understand to be the case is correct.....it actually borders on not only the immoral but illegal activity. Any one with these high dollar cars willing to stand with Belair and I on this?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Phil,
Until you've gone through the fire of this type of situation, how can you realize the entire picture?

Racefan
02-04-2004, 08:26 PM
What "fire" do I have to go through to understand? All I am saying is, if there is information out there about cars that are less than what they are represented to be....it needs to be made just as public as those that are absolutely 100% authentic. Why is it important to let someone know if a SuperCar is real....but not important in every case to let that same someone know if a car is NOT real? This is all I am saying.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-04-2004, 08:38 PM
Phil,
I agree with your logic, and I realize your motives are good, but until you've been caught in the middle of somebody elses deal it's difficult to understand. Not all rebodies are so easily detected, so the guilty party will contest the claim. Then it's a shouting match, and although you may want to bring an inequity to light, you will become the bad guy - even though you never touched the car! So, sometimes, it's better to just let it stay underground unless the current owner already knows the situation and is ok with the discussion.

Belair62
02-04-2004, 08:40 PM
My main point here was we can't pick and choose who/what info gets posted....I think most if not all of the cars that are somewhat questionable are known to a lot of people...so one of the good things about this board is if you are going to buy something of this type you should be doing your homework first which would include coming to this site and others like it and asking questions first....I'm sure if someone came on and asked for info on a certain car and there were questions about it...you would get a note offline about the issue...maybe not on the public forum.

Racefan
02-04-2004, 08:54 PM
What info would I get then if I paid someone from the forum to come and look at a potential purcahse for me? Would I get the straight story on the car (all potential inconsistencies disclosed to me) or would a get a politically correct, watered down version to avoid problems for the "expert"? Keep in mind that the car you may be paid to look at may be one someone you are friends with owns. I understand your explanation, and appreciate the fact that you recognize that my intentions are good....but still don't understand what is more important truth or keeping the peace. Even if you can't prove something, if inuendo exists....I should be told. If what Belair is saying about the liklihood of an offline message coming about potentials questions about a specific car is correct, I am ok with that. While it may not be a matter for public discussion, as long as someone is willing to step up and give information when asked, the system works. I guess the short question is this....If I had said that the Camaro with the VIN that started this whole thing was for sale and I was thinking of purchasing it, would someone come to me offline and give me the "history" given here? Or, would I have been given a rubber stamp saying "yes, that VIN is a valid one for Yenko #xxxx" end of story? There is a fundamental difference there.

Belair62
02-04-2004, 08:58 PM
I would say absolutely YES that someone would either online or offline get your attention on how to look further....but remember also there are a lot of rumors too...so in the end you will still have to do what's right for you...this whole thread is making me wish I would have stayed in bed this morning !!!

Racefan
02-04-2004, 09:04 PM
I understand all that. And, I think that is the best that can be expected. Thankfully, I misunderstood the thread to say that there are some fakes/rumored fakes out there that are held by "those in the know" that would not be outed for what they may be. That is what got my dander up, I hate it when those with the knowledge feel as though the rules don't apply....in other words I hate the "good 'ole boy network". These cars are too rare and too expensive to have those types of things happening. What a great discussion to finally get me out of the woodwork......huh? Thanks, guys. By the way, GREAT JOB on the white DANA/Yenko on eBay. I sat back and wathced that whole thing unveil from the beginning! Great stuff!

Racefan
02-04-2004, 09:07 PM
By the way, how do I stop being a stranger? Is it by the number of posts you have....or how do you "move up" the chain?

Kim_Howie
02-04-2004, 09:16 PM
I guess I have a question. First Greg calls the car a fire wall back REBODY. Then Belair states it's a RE-BODY. I think there a whole lot of differance in the two. Which is it?? Give credit where credit is due. Least they tolded it had been changed when it passed thru owners. Which can't say that about other cars. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-04-2004, 09:16 PM
Phil,
I agree with Belair 100%, if the car was for sale and you asked - you would get the truth, from several people! The good ole boy network consists of those individuals who DON'T rebody cars, and stay away from those cars that have been.

Racefan
02-04-2004, 09:19 PM
That is the answer I hoped to get. Again, thanks for the clarification. But, it would make for interesting reading to read about the history of some other cars like this. Maybe not complete with VINs or anything......but just some more examples of the lengths people have gone to to dupe the masses. THAT is interesting reading!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-04-2004, 09:22 PM
NFW!

02-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Kim,

I haven't seen the actual car to make that determination..I have spoken to a few people on here (offline) that have physically inspected the car, and I posted the info as a "firewall back" re-body mainly because that was the impression I got from them. Since the post there has been a few that said a complete rebody, but that remains to be seen..Until someone post differently I'll say a "firewall back" as it is my understanding that this is VERY apparent on thsi car. I'm not sure if the previous owners did actually pass along the info. as the current owner wasn't aware of the car being a race car (or at least acted as if he wasn't). There is some confusion here, as I was told by a very reputable person that has inspected the car that the current owner was made aware of the cars heritage and the fact that it was possibly a rebody aftr he bought it. So who knows..I'm not sure if the previous owners prior to the current owner disclosed the extensive body work of not..Either way it wasn't a street car and certainly isn't an original sheetmetal car (keep in mind the car had full tubs, lightened doors, a full competition cage and the back seat bracing was gone, along with the floors and trans tunnel).

Jeff H
02-04-2004, 11:24 PM
It sure is nice when someone finds out a car is not what it is claimed to be and makes the information available to evveryone. The fine line is between rumor and reality. My sister's husband's brother's wife's cousin said he heard "blah blah blah" can be very dangerous to state as fact and can actually be slanderous in some cases. It's fine to state fact about a car, but if it's rumor it should be done through private contact. That's my take on it.

02-04-2004, 11:48 PM
I guess we should all just have the knowledge and let some unsuspecting guy buy the car...Then we can all sit back and laugh or gossip..The point of the public post is not to hurt the owner..it is to make sure that anyone else has a knowledge of the car..If the knowlege isn't passed along on certain questionable cars then the history is lost and some guy gets duped..Here is something to ponder...Someone made the comment about the guy looking on here..Well if that is the case..why not come forward and just say.."Hey, here is the car...let's inspect it..let's track down the previous owners and research who had it and what was done to the car.." Maybe the answers lay in the fact that others that are very well respected here, have Yenkos, and know their "shxt" HAVE looked it over and it is what it is...

sixtiesmuscle
02-04-2004, 11:56 PM
Well said Jeff. "Outing" a car's history based on "somebody told me" is very dangerous. The mere rumor of a car being any kind of "rebody" can destroy its value. Unless undeniable proof is available, those just trying to educate the uninformed should keep their opinions to themselves. Buyers can do their own research, and, ask potential sellers the question directly. Then if a seller misleads the buyer, they can potentially be sued for fraud. Greg, IMO it was inappropriate to post your thoughts on this car, especially since you had no interest in the car. And NO, I don't have anything to hide. Mike

Jeff H
02-05-2004, 12:20 AM
I'm not referring to this particular car, but any car in general. I'm saying that if someone is interested in a particular car, feel free to ask if anybody has information on it. But if the information you have is a rumor then it should be kept private.

02-05-2004, 12:20 AM
Well as far as I'm concerned you are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitiled to mine..The original post was never meant to be "outing" the owner and as far as I can see his name is never mentioned..Ill finish my involvement in this thread by saying this..Let's take a look at the car...It shouldn't be that hard and if I'm wrong I'll certainly publiclly apologize..It is somewhat funny that most of the negative comments regarding this thread and me "outing" a car come from the same geographic region...isn't that where some of the people that were exposed to this car are from???

Belair62
02-05-2004, 12:25 AM
Greg,Kim...I have no idea what car this VIN belongs to...nor do I really care...,my intent was simply this...if there are going to be posts allowed that bring info like this up it should be done even handed...and I was referring to the post by Zedder that was deleted...I never met or talked to Zedder but no one ever had the chance to either jag the guy off for posting bogus info or discuss what merit the post had. And it gave the appearance that because the car in question was owned my a great guy who is on the board it was deleted so as not to embarass anyone...even though the info may not have discredited the car at all...it just looked crappy that it happened and more care should be taken and more thought should be taken ...total bullshit presented to this audience ,when discovered,should be deleted and explained why it was done...but that should be a last possible resort...I am sure in hindsight if it was allowed to go forward it would have straightened itself out for all concerned. The way it was done created a lot of ill will and suspicion...and this place should have stayed above that...JMO...

02-05-2004, 12:40 AM
Belair and Jeff..I agree 100%...I think it is not only healthy to discuss these cars openly, but to encourage others to do their homework..As far as "Zedder's" post I wish the moderators would re-instate it. I certainly am not in the clique here, and while I thought the info on the Yellow Yenko needed posting, I'm sure "Zedder's' post was just as relevant. Sorry if it looks like any favoritism..If anyone knows "Zedder" please have him call me at work at 800-669-5834 RE: a LS6 Thanks

Kim_Howie
02-05-2004, 01:21 AM
Greg The problem I have you have talked about a car you have NEVER seen Period. The car was tubbed SO WHAT alot of cars that have been restored were. BFD I personally would rather restore a tubbed than a rusted to the Door Handle. Also you did mention a name that's BS http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif

sixtiesmuscle
02-05-2004, 01:25 AM
"Maybe some guys need to be called out", and, "the truth will always come out". Those are YOUR words Greg, and, the way you presented the rumors on this car would sure lead a reasonable person to view it as an "outing". As far as your conspiracy theory about the region of objections to your posts, I have no idea what car or current owner you are posting about. I don't really care who owns it. It's the rumors & innuendo that I find objectionable.

yountto
02-05-2004, 01:37 AM
Kim, Are you saying some of the guys here that rip every ebay car have seen them first in person???? Why is this particular yenko taboo??? Greg seems to have alot more info on this car than most have when making accusations on ebay cars....

02-05-2004, 01:40 AM
I mentioned that a guy named Mick bought the car from Mike..I mentioned that he wasn't concerned about the body..those are facts as I know them..One of the most revered people on here is who mentioned the car in a PM in the first place as having been owned by Mick and having been restored by him..the name this person gave later turned out to be the current owner..You are correct I haven't personallly seen the car..However quite a few others (that are extremely qualified)have and their opinions are the car is a rebody at least from the firewall back..Let's cut the BS here...The easiest way to prove me wrong is to get the car..get the photos of the resto (most shops take them to document work), get me the bills showing the purchase of the parts needed to take it back stock..I think again some on here want to "protect" their little cliques...Have you seen the car and can tell me that it is the original body shell, the original roof, etc.??

02-05-2004, 01:50 AM
Kim,

Are you saying I have never seen the car??? I suggest you look at the friggin license plate in the picture...I raced against the car, cruised with it, looked at how extensive the work was done..how many 8 sec cars do you see made into stock appearing cars..Gheee I guess that is one reason Bill P. made #1 look stock..it would have been sooo easy to do right?? IMO maybe it has more to do with who you are friends with then whether I brought this car out into the open...BTW..Chuck makes a valid point..have you seen every car you've ever commented on??? What about Ebay...ghee others here don't hesitiate to crush someones car unless of course it is a "vauled" memember of the SYC.. then it is hush hush. When is the last time I showed up at a show and had an original owner call me out on a restamp? I guess someone forgot about that..At least I have a rather intimate knowledge of the way this car looked prior to its' "reincarnation." Maybe "Christine" left a 1958 Chrysler profduct and took residence up in a 1969 Yenko???

02-05-2004, 01:56 AM
I am done with this thread...If anyone wants more info PM me or email..it is useless to waste bandwith any longer on this car...It is whatever it is...

Belair62
02-05-2004, 01:56 AM
You see now it's getting to be bullshit...you made your point and that's great..there will always be people who hang together and know each other in these boards...hell I'll even admit to knowing Charley...favoritism has no place here though...I'm guilty of it too sometimes...but this board has grown a whole lot in the past year so we should all try a bit harder on sticking with the facts and staying neutral too....but no need to be nasty...wait 5 minutes and re-read before you hit the "send" button.

JChlupsa
02-05-2004, 01:59 AM
Edited. I was thinking that Grag had never seen the car but now know he has.

Anyway Im getting my popcorn out.

Kim_Howie
02-05-2004, 02:01 AM
Chuck The things we talk about(RIP) on e-bay are things we see in the pictures. The wrong carb,wrong alt, wrong valve covers. I don't remember any body stating wrong body !!! Greg is wrong on this.

Kim_Howie
02-05-2004, 02:05 AM
I have NEVER seen the car !!

Kim_Howie
02-05-2004, 02:11 AM
WHAT'S THIS CALLING ON A RESTAMP. YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT, IS THIS MORE SECOND HAND INFO. THAT CAR I KNOW AND HAVE SEEN IT.

02-05-2004, 04:00 AM
This is the last post from me on this thread..I spoke to someone tonight that more or less confirms the cowl back rebody...but the VIN and cowl tags weren't moved from their original locations on the original cowl or dash..Just don't want anybody thinking anything highly illegal was done on this car. The car is what it is..enough said..let's talk about something positive...Anybody found/bought any cool cars lately???

Charley Lillard
02-05-2004, 04:00 AM
My understanding is the car in question had another back half spliced on at the floorboard area. That does not involve removing or restamping the vin so it is not illegal. You might not like the car but by the law I think it is OK....... I remember posting a couple years ago about a certain ZL1 being a rebody. I got chewed out by the owner for the post and at the time he did not know it was a rebody. I thought everybody knew about it. In hindsight I probably should have told him privately but at the time I didn't even know he bought it. He did manage to unwind the sale. Not sure what point I wanted to make but I don't think there is a easy answer. Yes it would be great if all we needed to do was post that we are thinking about a car and get everyones info on it but that also alerts everyone about the car being for sale. Tough call.

Racefan
02-05-2004, 04:28 AM
I don't understand the "but then it alerts everyone to the car being for sale" comment? Is there some sort of elite group who gets first crack at these cars and that is why a person like me can't seem to get one EVEN if I have money in hand?! The alerting people of a car possibly being for sale is the WORST POSSIBLE EXCUSE for not alerting someone. I was feeling all warm and fuzzy about this earlier.....but now I have a dander problem again! Someone please help me!

Schonyenko2
02-05-2004, 04:57 AM
Phil, where are you from in Iowa? Schonye

hvychev
02-05-2004, 05:23 AM
hhmmmm. This is a very interesting thread to say the least.......One must question the motives of the poster to bring such a subject to light. This is not something that is usually just "brought up" everyday........

02-05-2004, 07:11 AM
Tom, Rob, Charley and gang...sorry to post this but I've been nice way too long...

Frank...all I can say is get a freaking life..crawl out of Rick P.'s shadow and stay out of my business...I think I said what my motive was..to relay some info about a car...If you or your petty, egomanical (that means he has a big ego Frank..don't want the big word to scare you...) friend have anything to say to me then step up and grow a set...Otherwise leave me alone..I think enough people know by now how you stuck you nose somewhere it didn't belong (that would have been in a matter that in no way concerned you or had anything to do with you..)trying to come to Rick's rescue where he stuck his foot in his mouth at Vettefest and I called him out on it..It wasn't your issue, but yet you made it "yours." Therefore I and the rest of the world would appreciate if you crawled back under the rock you came from and if you don't have something germane to say..keep your mouth shut.

Jeff H
02-05-2004, 01:57 PM
Phil, I think Charley is just saying that when somebody asks for information about a car that could possibly be a Yenko, COPO, Dana, BM or other supercar, everyone that reads the post will be sending emails, making phone calls or getting a military satellite positioned to find the car and try to buy it before you will ever get an answer. So if you do find a car, make sure nobody knows anything about it or it's whereabouts before asking for help. Or you might find something sharp sticking out of your back! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

hvychev
02-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Greg I will not start a flame war with you on this site but I along with several others here have concluded that you are an unstable person.

Fellas I could but will not post on this site several scary and weird PM's and e-mails that Greg has sent me. He is obsessed with certain people here and continues to drag others in to fulfill his vendetta with them. I am pretty cool with a lot of people on this site and most know that I do not "stand in the shadow" of anybody. If you have any further comments direct them to me offline.

When you start a thread as stupid as this be prepared to get feedback. When you say something in a public forum it becomes everybodys business.

Oh and BTW choose only to say on this or any site what you prepare to say to ones face. We will see each other again.

Belair62
02-05-2004, 03:47 PM
O.K. so now it's time to wrap this thread up....I think points have been made and cooler heads are prevailing...so lets talk about that little frickin key buzzer switch for a while...and why the hell did someone invent it ?

Unreal
02-05-2004, 03:57 PM
I thought folks on this board genreally considered a "firewall back rebody" to be an "extensive restoraton" I remember a thread a couple of years ago that generally concluded that as long as the VINs (public and hidden) were not messed with, anything else was fair game.

02-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Frank,

First off there ISN'T a need to start a "flame war" on this or any other site regarding any differences that we have. The FACT of the matter is that YOU started in on Thanksgiving Day by sending me a PM in response to what happened at Vettefest between Rick Peters and myself. I called Rick out after I had kept hearing that he was spreading complete untruths about the green LS6 and myself. Even though he just knew me by my name (Greg),had never met me in person,and hadn't seen the car or the paperwork in over 10 years he still proceeded to tell people things that were completely untrue. I introduced myself to Rick as "Scott," which is my given middle name and a name he didn't know me by..Now is it my fault he proceeds to tell a complete "stranger" things he has no business saying and telling others that were there incorrect info to make himself look like he knows the car and me??? You then step in, in the interest of taking up for your little friend, on what the both you find to be a problem with me introducing myself using my middle name, on an issuethat you were neither a part of nor were you there you send me a PM..the bottom line is this..I don't like you..I think you stick your nose in where it doesn't belong..I saved all of your PM's and my responses to them..so if you want others to see them..Just say so..Your comment was meant to take a "stab" at me, as anyone that reads the post and understands English can see that...These are the facts:

1) Rick Peters didn't know the car or me yet spoke dergogatory about me and the car to others at Vettefest including a complete stranger named "Scott"
2)He hasn't seent he car or its' paperwork in over 10 years
3) He implied that I wrote the words "pilot job" on both buildsheets..He even went so far as to say to others at Vettefest "how do we know Greg didn't write that 3 years ago?" yet he had a copy of one sheet saying "pilot job" on it way before I even knew the car (he had a copy of the sheet in 1994 at least)..AND he knew the owner of the car before I bought it and considered him a "friend"
4) I confronted Rick and I thought we worked out any differences at Vettefest
5) YOU were neither involved in our ongoing "dispute" over the last 3 years..NOR were YOU present during any of the conversations at Vettefest
6) YOU decided to send me a PM explaining you thought it was "shixxy" what I did to Rick at Vettefest and then after I told you it wasn't your business YOU got beligerent.
7) YOU wrote a post last night trying to imply something..

As far as a this being a "stupid" thread..well I think you just showed your ignorance..I have had many people call me, PM me, thank me..I had the current owner thank me, as it wasn't info he said he knew (whether this is the case..who knos..)..I've even spoken to the "man" himself this morning..and we agreed to disagree on the car..Therefore why don't you and your "friend" get a life and leave me alone..

BTW..Instead of making a some half assed inneuendo about "meeting me again"..grow a set..step up and say exactly what you mean...I'll be more than happy to accomadate you or the golf club bar manager...This topic is over..

hvychev
02-05-2004, 04:19 PM
Wow........you just keep making yourself look better and better.....keep going.......your are just doing yourself in. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

First you tell everybody that you save every written word that you give and recieve.

Then you tell everybody that you pretend to be someone else...truly scary. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif

DarrenX33
02-05-2004, 06:07 PM
So do we call you Scott or Greg. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Charley Lillard
02-09-2004, 09:57 PM
We have been requested to unlock this thread. If things get out of hand we will either lock it back up or delete it completely.

Mr Yenko
02-09-2004, 11:24 PM
I say Delete it! What is the purpose of draging this on any longer.It should have never even benn posted in the first place.Greg NEVER got permission to BAD mouth his car to begin with....... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif
The "MOF"

Mr70
02-09-2004, 11:33 PM
I was the one who requested it to be reopened,but Have reconsidered.
I agree with the Mayor,Delete it.Nothing more the Mudslinging will be added,and that accomplishes nothing. Appreciate the consideration though.