PDA

View Full Version : 69 Nova 427

firstgenaddict
02-05-2004, 04:29 PM
anyone know about this car? 69 Nova 427 (http://www.cars-on-line.com/69nova9368.html)

MotownMadman
02-05-2004, 09:41 PM
If this car was the real deal how did it get by everyone? Even if it was not a dealer built 427 car it seems like it was still a decent buy for what was probebly an L78 car.
Motown http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

COPO PETE
02-06-2004, 04:37 PM
I did some digging on that car a couple of years ago. Owner at that time said it was an owner installed motor.
Peter

Nicola
02-03-2005, 04:37 AM
Hello everyone this car was sold new as a 396-350hp car from Wilson Niblett Motors Ltd. in Richmond Hill, Ontario the 3963512 block that was later installed was dated June 1970. I have the build sheet and the short block.

WILMASBOYL78
02-03-2005, 05:26 AM
If a Nova of that period had a 427 installed as a customer requested conversion, is it really considered a "supercar" ?
I have heard of lots of cars that had dealer engine swaps a year or two down the road, is that something special?? Dealer built cars that were sold new are a little diff story. Back then, anybody could put anything in any car. All it took was $$$$. wilma

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-03-2005, 07:50 PM
That's a good question Tom, and one that has been batted around before. One scenario used for comparison was how is a Motion later converted car perceived? It's a similar situation, car is driven off the lot and enjoyed for a period of time - be it a day, a week or a year, - and then is taken to a dealer or speed shop and converted.

Is it valued the same, more, less? Does the name of the converter factor into it, whether it be a prominent dealer, speed shop, or individual? Interesting discussion!

Mr70
02-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Whatever the scenario,paperwork documenting it would be Paramount!
No heresay or rumors.

Pantera
02-03-2005, 09:18 PM
To try to answer this question as I understand it. Mind you this only applys to Motion. I would have to say that I feel the car with the owner recipt from Baldwin Chev and then was modified by Motion (provable with his paperwork) and then sold as a new car, through Baldwin Chev and covered by their 4 month warranty would be the ultimate "Baldwin-Motion" car.

A car that is later modified by Moton but was bought from them or another dealer through Baldwin Chev. would be next.

Then A car that was bought from a different dealer and then taken to Motion to be converted would be just a "Motion car" not a "Baldwin-Motion" car. This would not be quite as valuable as the first car. (ie: Gold Motion Vette at BJ last week)

The verifable cars with paper work showing a engine change or so on would be next down the list.

Pictures and origional owner paperwork are all so very important to establish value in his cars.

I can't say that other dealers unless they were Yenko or some of the others would be a special car, unless it was sold new by that special dealer and stil had the original paperwork. Otherwise it would be only worth what someone is willing to pay. And that is what a aucton is good for.

Pantera

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Harrell converted cars that were bought from Gibb, Bill Allen or other dealers are also equivalent to Yenko's, Motion's, etc....

Kim_Howie
02-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Marlin the best 67 Yenko would be the one sold through Fred Gibb. You would have the best of both worlds. Yenko & Gibb WOW.

copo-2
02-04-2005, 02:37 AM
My theory on this issue, is that all modifications be made and sold as new through an authorized dealer, if it should be GM, Ford,or Chrysler, as they would finance or do any warranty work on dealer built cars and not those that were modified, later? A dealer might have a different policy on this, but I don't think the manufacture would? As in the case with the Harrell cars, these could be financed through GMAC including the add-ons; headers,glass hood, slicks, wheels, tach, etc., when bought new through an authorized Chevrolet dealer complete with original factory warranty.

Ray

Jeff H
02-04-2005, 02:50 AM
Ray, I couldn't agree more. My thoughts have always been a car with a warranty is what I would consider a car "as purchased". Anything added later on is a much different animal than what you bought off the dealer's lot new. That being the case, I've heard of a 69 Camaro SS bought from Reedman Chevrolet in Langhorne PA with a 454 in it swapped by the dealer and sold new with the 454. The car is still owned by the original owner last I heard. Makes a COPO 427 seem tame! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

William
02-04-2005, 06:29 AM
By 1968 Chevrolet was aware of how certain dealers were modifying new cars and issued CDSIB 68-I-4: "Dealer Modification of Air Pollution Control Equipped Motor Vehicles" which basically said, stop it or risk getting fined.

Pantera
02-04-2005, 05:39 PM
Wonder how they got a 454 to put in a '69, an entire year before anybody could get one from chev? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I bet it was a warranty replacment motor.

Jeff H
02-04-2005, 05:46 PM
No, remember that 69 was an extended year for the Camaro so the 454 was already out for the 70 model year when 69 Camaros were still being built. It must have been a late year 69 Camaro that they did the swap on.

Kim_Howie
02-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Jeff, It could even have been a early car that hadn't sold yet. Wrong color wrong interior? Who knows

PLATINUM6BBL
03-06-2005, 03:46 PM
How would a '69 396-375 Camaro SS that had 427-425 put in as a warranty replacement be viewed then? I have a friend that still has his Camaro that he bought new and this is what was done for him when the 396 blew up. Car has under 20,000 original miles on it.

Kim_Howie
03-07-2005, 02:39 AM
I feel like Ray what ever the car was sold new as is what it is. A car having a 427 done later isn't the same as sold new. Sounds like a nice car. The value should be higher on this compared to a 396-375 because of the warrent transplant. JMO. Kim http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

sYc
03-07-2005, 03:30 AM
Um... what about customer cars modified at Motion Performance? I doubt that they received much of a warranty, except for the 11 second ET guarantee. Or a car modified by Dick Harrell for one of his customers. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

When it comes to the supercars, not always black and white.

Jeff H
03-07-2005, 06:38 AM
I agree with your view Kim. A car that has a motor swapped later on whether it was a dealer installed warranty swap or just an engine swapped in isn't the same thing as a dealer transplant when new. But who are we to say where the value really is, it's up to the buyers and what they're looking for. Paperwork on any kind of swap is a must and will obviously add value. But plain and simple, it's the history of the car and you wouldn't restore it back to status it was when the original motor was blown or swapped. These cars seem to be the toughest to categorize and put value on. Still cool cars, no matter what.

Kim_Howie
03-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Tom, It all gets back to paper work. If it's not dealer installed. Harrell or who ever. If the motor was put in 15 years ago by the owner doesn't mean much to me. A car that was sold new with a 427 vs a car transplanted by the dealer is not the same Value IMO. Yes, there is a lot of black & white on this subject. We all have our own opinions on these cars. I think it boils down to what ever you like. That's enough ramblin from me. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

mike s
03-11-2005, 06:40 PM
let me bring a question to try and clear this up if i can tom clary's 69 427 yenko nova transplanted when new correct? which makes it a real supercar and worth the "house" money if you will, but brian henderson's 69 427 yenko nova transplanted later on which make's it worth alot less to most in the supercar world am i correct? (i mean no bad words to tom clary or his car or brian henderson or his car in this post)but gentlemen am i right or wrong?

fpcopo
03-26-2005, 08:10 AM
427 Camaros almost always out ran LS6 454s. Hardly any power difference in the 454, mostly torque. Not near enough to overcome the extra 4-600 lbs. Frank