PDA

View Full Version : ZL-1 Camaro engine casting dates

GMH454
02-09-2004, 01:33 AM
Do we know what the casting dates were for the ZL-1 blocks that were factory fitted to the 1969 Camaros ???

Ed Cunneen
03-09-2004, 03:01 AM
Mostly January and February, 1969. There are a few exceptions, such as the first two cars built.

stingr69
03-09-2004, 04:59 AM
While we are on the subject, does anyone know the VIN of the other car? I have seen the VIN for one of the first 2 prototypes but what about the other one?

JChlupsa
03-09-2004, 06:24 AM
Have SEEN or was told? Big difference

GMH454
03-10-2004, 12:57 AM
Ed thank you, you may have seen from the few answers to a similar question in the Tech area that the casting numbers appear to be cumulative,as are the numbers stamped into blocks and caps.
The numbers stamped are lower than the casting numbers probably due to throw aways from the casting process, but still build in a cumulative fashion.
If this is correct all casting and stamped numbers would be unique.
Is this a safe assumption.
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

stingr69
03-10-2004, 02:37 AM
Jeff,
Yes, you are right. Big difference.

More to the point, I read on camaros.net a white paper that included the VIN for one of the two ZL-1 prototypes. I was hoping that someone would know the other VIN, and was willing to share the information. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Mark.

x44d80
03-10-2004, 04:37 AM
Does this mean the first 2 cars had the early "Can-Am" type block with the provisions for a dry-sump like in the June 1969 "Car Craft" article by Bill Jenkins? The article shows him prepping the motor for stocker bashes and how it makes over 600hp on stock parts.

berger
03-10-2004, 06:15 AM
no provision for fuel pump on can am and syiamese cylinders, made the motor quite different than zl 1 motor, which was basically a alum L88, can ams like to overheat real quick cuz of cylinders and they had cast iron sleeves so they held the heat too, I read jenkins car in 67 had an alum can am, and their are tests from gm on them from that year, they would have known long before then they weren't good street motors especially in traffic, maybe just had zl 1 052 motors, they would want to test them and have emissions tests approved in advance of when production was to start I think http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

GMH454
03-10-2004, 06:57 AM
Berger please take this the right way but your last post may need some clarrifying.

The first Can Am style alloy blocks are probably VERY similar to ZL-1s, talking here of Halls Chapparal etc. We are talking VERY rare, and unclassified

The original 052s which we call ZL-1s had no water jacket between bores and the block is actually very diferrent from a cast iron L-88 block. Looks very different too. Mine has what looks like dry sump plumbing hanging off the side.The main similarity is in dimensions. 052 blocks should run liners, and should with the right cam be good street engines. Because they will run slightly cooler detonation should be helped a little.
There is also a 4.440 bore Can Am block used briefly that was also a linered block and from 356 alloy

What is usually referred to as a Can Am block, are the Reynolds blocks, that on a 3.76 stroke are around 465cubes'with 4" 495 cubes. The Green Book refers to these as 390 Alloy. (O52 blocks are by contrast 356 alloy.
These had no liners, the pistons had iron coatings. I think Jenkins had one in his 1970 Camaro.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

berger
03-10-2004, 07:26 AM
they might have been the motor supplied for photos on cover of How to hotrod big block chevys by bill fisher an bob waar, its a 1971 publication all pics are black white except cover, alot of picks of jenkins motors, chapparrell, mcclaren, reynolds blocks. The motor on cover and a few shots inside has a cast number on front top of block right below intake manifold, its says 0394 150, looks like that too, with a space between 4 an 1, its large don't need a magnifying glass but it helps, intake looks like an L88 but a little different, has shot of heads top view too, this states the engine was a corvette option that also appeared in some 69 camaros, lists some part numbers and specifications such as cam, etc, cover photo credits are to ed sperko of GM photographic chevrolet public relations, intake shot says 3933163 but says its part number 3947083 open plenum different thatn 3947084 fully divided plenum both machined from same casting, also states zl1 cam is part number 3959180 stamped 9181 .560/.6000 lift duration 347 degreeintake 359 exhaust, there's even a fuel injection cam for the zl1 and canam blocks it has .6000 lift on both and 360/366 duration part number 3994094 also chain driven, gives just about every part number for zl1 motor.The real interesting article is on the 482 chevyturbo marine, 25 produced for kiekhaefer and destined for off shore long distance raceing, a few cranks, rods, and pistons were available for a short while but after a fully thorough search they were not able to find any for part numbers or pics but got specs to build one, a 454 crank stroked to 4.25 inch will provide 482 displacement w/ stock 427/454 bore, tests on one w/ two turbosuperchargers appear on pg. 125. I can give more info or publishers if any wants it, best engine book I've ever owned shows you how to build everything. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

berger
03-10-2004, 08:03 AM
thanks I see what your looking for the early ones, theirs a pic on pg 16 of a can am next to a reynolds high silicon 390 alloy ass used in the vega engines it states, it has a cast number on back of can am block and something on the vin pad, but its gonna be tough to pull them even w/ glass but I 'll give it a try if it helps, I can give you some specs on the reynolds if you don't have same book, its only about a half page but its inregards to mclaren 's setup and in 72 chevy started marketing a 390 aluminum alloy block, half the cost of a linered block in 71.

earntaz
12-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Need some help with identification of some Big Block Chevy parts I have. Eons ago I did some swapping of Chevy parts and I wound up with a 4.250 stroker crank along with a set of 6.405 rods. The crank is forged and has a cast mark of 3521 and stamped M525 – 3521 cranks were produced in the late 60s and early 70s from what I can tell. The rods have the name “Kiekhaefer” cast on the sides with the number 621-3404 cast on the opposite side of the rod. The rods have been “worked” (polished, rough edges removed) with full float pin bushings and have an “A” beam shape similar to an FE 427 Ford connecting rod. The only reference I have come up with is in H.P. Books – How to HOTROD Big-Block Chevys by Bill Fisher and Bob Waar. To quote them: “Chevy developed the 482 Chevrolet Turbo-Marine engines”. They go one to say that “Chev made 25 of these motors for Kiekhaefer and were destined for off-shore long distance racing and a few rods, cranks, and pistons were available for a short period of time”. This is a long shot, but is there any way of telling if these parts are part of that batch? The TAZ

bergy
12-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Vega 390 aluminum blocks were low pressure die castings produced at Messina, NY. You probably know that the bores had to be acid etched after machining to remove the aluminum matrix and expose the silicon grains for enhanced wear and lubrication. The BB 390 alloy block would have been gravity cast - the matrix wouldn't have been as well refined as a low pressure casting - wonder how they held up in racing? I don't recall any feedback on this?