PDA

View Full Version : Nickey's sales records

Danno
03-20-2005, 07:02 AM
Hey All
Great forum here....glad I stumbled across it. I am curious if anyone would know whether sales records still exist for vehicles sold by Nickeys. I have a 1963 vette(vert) that I am desperately trying to track down to the selling dealer. I know that it was originally purchased from a Chicago area dealer. I've tracked it down to the 2nd owner...but he wont respond to calls or letters. Anyone have any ideas on how I might nail this down? I emailed the NICB(National Insurance Crime Bureau) and they have the info, but can't give out to general public. How many Chicago area Chevy dealers were there back in the early 60's? Any and all replies would be greatly appreciated.

Danno

Belair62
03-20-2005, 07:04 AM
A crapload of Chevy dealers....need that NICB or that 2nd owner to fess up !

hvychev
03-20-2005, 07:24 AM
Danno what town in IL did the 2nd owner live in?

Danno
03-20-2005, 08:11 AM
Hvychvy...I'll see if I can find out. I do know how to get a hold of owner #3....and he has been very helpful. He told me that owner #1 owned a gas station in the Chicago area, and had just left it sitting in the lot when #2 spotted it and purchased from him. Owner #2 now lives in Cape Coral,Fla. I sent him a real nice letter with a SASE and even put in $20 for his troubles ...and nothing. I did talk to his son one time on the phone, and he confirmed that his Dad had owned the car. Man, I'm soooooo close to nailing this thing down....and just can't seem to get it. I will email #3 and see what part of Chicago he lived in....anything else I should ask? Thanks a million for your replies.....greatly appreciated. BTW, anyone know if these dealers keep sales records back this far? Also wondering if I could track via the vehicle s/n through GM. When I emailed GM, they steered me to the Corvette Museum site...no help. Thanks again!

Danno

Belair62
03-20-2005, 08:23 AM
Give #2 a call on the phone if you can...a lot of these folks love to talk about their old iron....is there anything different about this Vette ?

Danno
03-20-2005, 08:45 AM
I've called #2 a bezillion times, and have gotten his answering machine every time but one....that's when I talked to his son. I asked for the Dad....the son says hold on...then comes back asking to take a message...I tell him who I am ...he puts me on hold again, and then comes back and says his dad can't come to the phone. He did however say that his dad had owned a 63 vette, so I know I got the right guy. As far as anything special...nah, just a 63 vert with the original/matching 327/300hp motor....just think it would be really cool to track the cars history back to the selling dealer. I appreciate the replies guys.

Danno

Belair62
03-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Call and tell him it's the Florida Lottery Commision on the phone and he just won a million http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

Verne_Frantz
03-21-2005, 05:22 PM
Danno,
Many years ago I had a friend who was a cop who worked a lot on auto theft cases. In fact, he used to go to all the Meccum auctions and find cars with "funny looking" VIN tags, run the numbers, confiscate stolen cars and actually re-unite them with their original owners who lost them years ago. He was familiar with the archives at the national burreau you mentioned. In fact, he looked up the VIN from my '62 and gave me the original selling dealer's name. He said the records are about 100% complete back through '63, "most" of '62, then really peter out in '61.
He's not around anymore, unfortunately. So anyway, my suggestion is to make a cop your friend, and you might get the info you want.

Verne

ThomC
03-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Danno,
I too found this site from a post on the Corvette Forum. There is some great dealership information here. What I have found out so far is... Nickey Chevrolet was bought by Keystone which was bought by Lynch Chevrolet. I called Lynch to ask about sales invoices and they told me that they are required to keep those records for only seven years. So even though I knew my Corvette came from Nickey's, that was the end of the road. I did learn that the Nickey Chevrolet building (which is now a Comcast facility) will be coming down this spring to make way for new condos. Seems kinda sad...

Thom

Mr. T
03-21-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I did learn that the Nickey Chevrolet building (which is now a Comcast facility) will be coming down this spring to make way for new condos. Seems kinda sad...

[/ QUOTE ]

That is really sad. Another legendary building/dealership going down to make way for new buildings. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

JHerston
03-22-2005, 02:59 AM
Have you tried the state DMV yet. They usually have the info including originating dealer.

Bill Pritchard
03-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Not in Illinois http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif