PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Indy Pace Car - Shelby Cobra ?

Donutblue
04-01-2005, 06:21 AM
1991 Carroll Shelby drove a Viper at the Indy 500. Who decides what Pace car is used year to year? Think there is a possibilty that Ford will produce a Shelby Cobra Pace car?? 1st year of production --1967 saw the first camaro on the Indy track.

12bolt
04-01-2005, 07:14 AM
Not sure on who decides that, but first year of Production of the Mustang had a Convertible at Indy doing the Job. The 1979?? Turbo 4 cylinder Mustang did it next and the 1994 Intro of the Fox Body Style Mustang Convertible. I do not know who is doing the job this year, but Next year, a SHELBY Mustang Convertible "Pace Car Edition" is more probable to do it than a Concept COBRA that is still in the Dream phase of Production. But so was the new GT and they are hitting the Highway Faster than the original GT40 it is styled after! 205MPH at a track in Italy and set a Record formerly held by long time Rival of FORD and SHELBY's, "FERRARI"!

Donutblue
04-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Your right, My original thought in the post of this thread was the Shelby MUSTANG Cobra as you indicate, not the "Cobra". Possibly a convertible would be nice. After viewing the new upcoming Shelby Mustang slated for 2006 production at the NYC auto show I believed a Shelby Mustang Pace car for the 2006 Indy would be a possibility.

coke69Z11
04-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Nice cover article of the new GT500 Shelby in the new issue of Motor Trend. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET, spect I gotta have one, but the convertible will of course be a year later, bummer.