PDA

View Full Version : ZL-1 Camaro

Charles
05-02-2005, 06:06 AM
George Eaton had a race car for the Can Am series. He was also on the General Motors support list. GM of Canada arranged for a 1969 ZL-1 Camaro to be used for Mr Eaton's race program. The Camaro was sent to Nurse Chev Olds (dealer #95580) in Whitby Ontario. At the dealership the aluminum motor was removed from the Camaro and given to Mr Eaton's race team. Which one, of the Camaro models gave up it's motor is unknown.

ZL1mike
05-04-2005, 04:59 PM
I have one of the aluminum blocks from George Eaton in my 69 camaro that Entec Racing Services has told me that they worked on his cars back in the day, too cool these stories.

mike

mister_copo
05-06-2005, 06:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Which one, of the Camaro models gave up it's motor is unknown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not entirely true. The car was the second of two ZL1 cars shipped into Canada and it is still in Canada today. A few have tried to locate the car to no avail, and I can tell you that it is not for sale. The car has another motor in it now and other than that, the car is pretty much unmolested. I call it an original survivor as it still retains much of its original parts and wears its original laquer paint. The grease pencil marks are still visable on the car and there is a cool story behind the car and how the owner came about purchasing it. It resides in Manitoba and I am not at liberty to share anything more than hat. I can tell you that the current owner has had it since 1974 and he is the second owner.

2qwik2c
05-06-2005, 06:46 AM
No [censored], A ZL 1 car here in manitoba of all places. Cool.

Jeff H
05-06-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Which one, of the Camaro models gave up it's motor is unknown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not entirely true. The car was the second of two ZL1 cars shipped into Canada and it is still in Canada today. A few have tried to locate the car to no avail, and I can tell you that it is not for sale. The car has another motor in it now and other than that, the car is pretty much unmolested. I call it an original survivor as it still retains much of its original parts and wears its original laquer paint. The grease pencil marks are still visable on the car and there is a cool story behind the car and how the owner came about purchasing it. It resides in Manitoba and I am not at liberty to share anything more than hat. I can tell you that the current owner has had it since 1974 and he is the second owner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any more clues as to which car it is? What color, 4 spd or auto?

supercomp 8.90
05-07-2005, 01:46 AM
i looked at both zl1 lists and only see 1 car going to canada, was this car bought from a u.s. dealer then shipped to canada??? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

novaracer
08-30-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It resides in Manitoba and I am not at liberty to share anything more than hat. I can tell you that the current owner has had it since 1974 and he is the second owner.

[/ QUOTE ]Just wondering if this car is in Winnipeg and is actually driven.Cool to think there is a real ZL-1 in Manitoba.But then again there are lots of rare muscle in Winnipeg.

Stefano
09-06-2005, 02:02 AM
The M40 Canadian Sold ZL1 is here in the Chicago Burbs.

sssteve
09-29-2005, 02:01 AM
A second ZL1 car sent to Canada?Thats news to me.With all the ZL1 cars VIN's and dealer destinations being public knowledge, where did this Manitoba car come from?.As my friends in Missouri say "show me".The only Canadian car I know of came to Alberta(Bistal motors in Three Hills I think) Le Mans Blue,White Houndstooth,Endura bumper,Tach/gauges,auto,vinyl,#124379N635720.I actually held the original block in my hands back in 1977.While researching our L72 car back in 1990 my business partner saw the car (unrestored and rough cond.)reunited with the OE motor in Lombard Illinois.I still have the guys address and phone # but have never heard what happened to it(like to know).This alleadged Manitoba car had to come from somewhere(if its real),What color,what trans,what vin(all 69#s are public knowledge).I'm talking to a guy whose dad "alleadgedly" owned the blue car at one time and he is seaching his old photos for proof.If it's true I'll display them.I beleive the car and it's motor were separated at an early age.CAR #54 WHERE ARE YOU?

sssteve
09-29-2005, 02:03 AM
Just a dumb Schmuk whose seen a few things.Steve

Belair62
09-29-2005, 04:17 AM
I'm guessing the guy in Lombard was Ed Cuneen...

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Cuneens brother or brother in law.

Belair62
09-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Ray....he's a good guy too...

Stefano
09-29-2005, 09:03 PM
I believe it was Ray who may have actually gotten Ed interested in Camaros, many moons ago. He is a true enthusiast and a wealth of knowledge regarding ZL1s, COPOs, Yenkos as well as many other makes and models of muscle cars http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

sssteve
10-02-2005, 12:57 AM
Yes you are correct it's Ray Behrends of Lombard IL.I'm sure he's Ed's brother in law.This documented ZL1 has to be the rarest of the rare(only car to come with delux interor,in fact white houndstooth)also endura bumper tach/gauges,vinyl top etc.I was just talking to Chris Bristol (original Owner)to get the low down on how this car came about.Apparently he says a GM rep approched George Stedlebauer"STEDLEBAUER CHEVROLET EDMONTON ALBERTA"(excuse spelling)and informed him that GM was making a low production of under 70 aluminum block 427 Camaro's.George who liked anything neat said he was in, not knowing what the engine option cost(I mean how much could it be? sound famillar?)he ordered the car.When the car and its invoice showed up he S##T his pants.He claimed the thing ran like a bag of S##T under 3000rpm due to a very restrictive exhaust system.After messing with the car and its $8500 price tag he told GM to take it back.The GM rep called Chis Bristol"BRISTOL MOTORS THREE HILLS ALBERTA" and told him the car was available.Bristol Motors was known around Alberta as a "performance dealership" doing things like 427 novas, camaros etc.(Kinda like a Don Yenko).Chris was interested in the car but not the price as he wanted the motor for his up and coming 1970.5 race car.The rep who was stuck for a customer said "make us an offer" to which Chris said $5500.Well they took it.Chris hooked up the race car trailer and drove the 150 miles north to Edmonton.Getting back to Three Hills without driving it or even starting it the motor was removed and replaced with a new b/b crate engine.The car was next sold to a guy from Saskatchewan who drove away not realizing the rare gem he was about to beat into the ground.As far as the motor, it was put into a brand new 1970.5 camaro race car and raced for several years by Chris Bristol and Rollie Johnston.Chris was asked and complied to bring the drag race car to EDMONTON INTERNATIONL SPEEDWAY to sit as a standby for Eatons CAN-AM racer at the CAN-AM race(though never needed).I saw the short block in GILMORE AUTOMOTIVE CALGARY AB. in 1977 and remembering carrying the block around to the astonishment of the customers(they didn't know it was aluminum and Im not that musculer).Well thats what I know for sure.As far as I know Ray Behrends purchased the motor first and then found the car in B.C.later.Whats happened after that is unknown.Can anyone Ellaberate?And where did this second Canadian ZL1 come from? Sorry my tying finger is about to give out.Later,Steve

camaromb
10-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Steve,
I'm sure Ray would like to talk to the original owner of the car if possible. Do any pictures of the car exist from the original owner? It would be great to put the history together on such a rare car. I picked up the ZL1 with Ray years ago after it was painted locally. I hope to see this rare ZL1 finished in the future.
Mark

sssteve
10-03-2005, 11:23 PM
I asked Chris if he had any pictures of the car and he said no as the car was in and out of his dealership within days.While it's an ultrarare car now, back then it was just an expensive "engine stand" for an all aluminum motor he wanted for his race car.The crate motor was installed and the car was sold just like any car on his lot at the time.Either Chris or Rollie "might" have pictures of the race car the ZL1 was in (if thats of any interest)but thats about it.Steve

70CitrusZ
10-05-2005, 04:54 AM
This is the car I was seeking up here in Canada.
Although I was apparently 3 weeks or so too slow in finding it before it went south.

I still have an original set of the GM of Canada docs you get from restoration services.

The drag race story is the same story I had heard about it, although I had been told it had been a dragster which recieved the engine.

That car is no doubt the highest optioned ZL-1.
Mark.

JChlupsa
10-05-2005, 05:27 AM
any chance those docs can be posted??

sssteve
10-06-2005, 12:16 AM
It might have been in a dragster later in its life but the First car it was in was the 1970.5 Camaro.Drag raced motors saw numerous installations but the first one was the camaro named"RAT PATROL"(Chris Bristol/Rollie Johnston)and raced mostly at EDMONTON INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY and CALGARY INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY.It probably was installed in a dragster later.Steve

70CitrusZ
10-06-2005, 10:02 PM
I suppose I could post copies if I can remember how to do it.
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hmmm.gif
Its basically a listed copy of the options and delivery info and dates for the car on GM letterhead.

JChlupsa
10-08-2005, 01:54 AM
I can post them if you need some help getting them posted http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

70CitrusZ
10-08-2005, 05:18 AM
I don't have a scanner that is hooked up right now..I'll see if I can work on it tonite... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif

70CitrusZ
10-30-2005, 02:01 AM
My scanner cable doesn't reach my computer in order to fit on my desk so, this will have to wait for now....

mister_copo
11-07-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Where did this Manitoba car come from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Steve L. After reading the added posts in this thread and realizing I may have spoken out of cheek, I have spoken with the owner of the car in question and as no surprise to you, I was incorrect as to the cars origin.

Last time I was at his home he showed me through a few of his cars and I mixed up the origins of two Camaros he owns. His yellow Copo car is from Canada, while the ZL1 (Dusk Blue) originates from the US. I was also off on the ownership as he reports he is the fourth and not the second as I had mistakingly posted.

I was correct that the car had the Non OE motor in it but he informs me that the engine is a warranty piece replaced early in the cars life. He has toyed with the idea of selling it a couple times in recent years and I have tried to secure first right but to no avail. Thats likely because he will never sell it. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I spoke to him on Sunday Morning and told him of Jim Stubbings car being for sale at such a price, and he didn't seem too surprised by the amount being asked for. I will have to hound him when I see him at Christmas as I have always wanted a ZL1, but cannot afford the 1.2M on eBay.

Steve, how are you making out with that Big Fat Chevy you bought. Have you got any paint on it yet? Triple Black out of Illinois isn't it?

Tom

William
11-07-2005, 09:31 PM
[/ QUOTE ]
I will have to hound him when I see him at Christmas as I have always wanted a ZL1, but cannot afford the 1.2M on eBay.
Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everyone thinks their ZL1 is a million-dollar [US] car.

PM me to learn more.

sssteve
11-08-2005, 03:25 AM
That car has to be one of the original Gibb ordered cars(9 dusk blue, 4-auto's, 5-4 speeds).As far as my Caprice goes, no paint yet(I'm somewhat defiecent in the $$$$$$$$ department)Right now I'm just rebuilding and detailing components.It's an original CA car so I,m trying to find an original "smog" set up for a 1967 big block full size chev(If anybody has one for a resonable price)I still have the correct exhaust manifolds and smog tubes but finding anything else around here is impossible.Thats about it.Steve

L78M22Rag
11-14-2006, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Not everyone thinks their ZL1 is a million-dollar [US] car.

PM me to learn more.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a PM. Is there such a thing as an unrestored, or project ZL1 out there anymore... or even an L72 COPO for that matter?

L78M22Rag
11-14-2006, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still have the GM of Canada doc's for the Alberta ZL1 back around 1990... I'll dig them out and try to figure out how to post them.

PeteLeathersac
11-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Sounds great! .
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
~ Pete

L78M22Rag
11-15-2006, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still have the GM of Canada doc's for the Alberta ZL1 back around 1990... I'll dig them out and try to figure out how to post them.

[/ QUOTE ]

L78M22Rag
11-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Ok, I had to compress it to make it fit. Can anyone help me out to attach a larger scan of it?
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

JChlupsa
11-15-2006, 11:52 AM
send them my way ill see what i can do to get them to fit
[email protected]

mister_copo
11-16-2006, 07:51 AM
Helmut,

Send the build sheet to me [email protected] and I will post it in higher resolution for you. Did you and George chase this car before it was sold into the US? I see your name is on the docs from Oshawa. I have a deal put together to flip the Dusk Blue ZL1 car that now resides in MB, and I'm bringing it out West after Christmas. I'll watch for that build sheet.

L78M22Rag
11-16-2006, 09:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
send them my way ill see what i can do to get them to fit

[/ QUOTE ]

I just emailed it to you... I hope you can post it better than I did.
Helmut

rszmjt
11-17-2006, 09:57 AM
OK, I have been reading these posts and thought i would clarify a few things that i know first hand about this ZL1.
1. First off it was CLIFF BRISTOW MOTORS in Three Hills Alberta, who did end up with the car as sssteve noted.
2. The ZL1 block sat at GILMOUR ENTERPRISES where i worked from 1974 to 1979. At that time i was told that it was owned by a Mr. Ron Prisnee who worked at Airport Welding in Calgary. The block had a lot of Tig welding on the sides of the block as well as the intake valley if memory serves me correctly. I was told by Ken Gilmour that it had been frozen up in the # 2 Rat Patrol Race Car.
3. I think that the Rat Patrol 70 Camaro did not recieve this engine until around late 1970 to 71. Rollie Johnson was involved with this car, but the first Rat Patrol was a 68 Camaro. I do not know if the ZL1 block ever was in the 68 Rat Patrol, but i dont think so.
When i saw # 2 Rat Patrol it had a Crower Injector and i think the car was run in B/G or B/A with the ZL1.
3. I was told that the 69 ZL1 car sat at Cliff Bristow Motors until early to middle 1970, because everyone who looked at the car near had a coronary when they looked at the window sticker. It was also rumoured that Cliff Bristow Motors then put a 396/375HP complete engine assembly into the car so they could sell it before the 71 models came out and also because they wanted to use the engine in the Rat Patrol # 2.
# 4. I also was told that the block was at the Spokane Swap meet where either Ed Cunnen or Ray Behrend saw it and realized what it was, probably buying it instantly.
# 5. I had 2 curved oil pan windage trays from Gilmours, 1 of them was rumoured to be off this ZL1, it has since been sold to a well known ZL1 collector in San Fransico.
# 6. I had this block in my Dads garage in 1976 or 77, i was going to buy it off either Ken Gilmour or Ron Prisnee, but the amount of welding scared me and i just plain did not know what i had at that time. STUPID!!!!!!!
# 7. I never heard about this engine block ever being in a dragster, When i saw it, there was still welding left to be done, to close off cracks.

Hope this post might add some new insights regarding this rare piece of GM Muscle Car History. Thanks to sssteve for jogging my memory.

PeteLeathersac
01-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Just checking back and wondering whatever happened to the GM Canada documents that were gonna' be posted here? .
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
~ Pete

Racerskid
03-02-2011, 05:26 PM
I could probably answer these questions if I asked my Dad, he is Rollie Johnston and raced the rat patrol in the early 70's

Racerskid
03-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Just a correction: His name is not Chris Bristol it is Cliff Bristol - My Dad is Rollie. Thx.

rszmjt
03-03-2011, 09:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Racerskid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a correction: His name is not Chris Bristol it is Cliff Bristol - My Dad is Rollie. Thx. </div></div>

How is Rollie? Still involved with cars at all? I have not seen him since he ran the old Calgary Car Mart 67 Chevelle many years ago @ Sheperd International Raceway, it had one of his Killer Big Blocks in it. I had heard the Chevelle was destroyed in a towing accident, maybe you can confirm this with your Dad?

Anyway As I said in my previous post I believe it is CLIFF BRISTOW, not Chris Bristol, or Cliff Bristol. Correct me if I am wrong with this but I also have 2 GM of Canada Documents for cars delivered in Canada to Cliff Bristow Motors Ltd, Three Hills AB.

rickraft
06-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Well, I am a newbie here, but for what it is worth, I just purchased a '69 L-78 Nova that was sold through Cliff Bristow Chevrolet. Early car, will be looking for owner history here shortly.

70CitrusZ
07-29-2011, 09:29 PM
I still have docs, but no way to scan them...

68427caprice
08-20-2011, 02:29 AM
You could take picture of docs and post or email out, if camera was high enough resolution. Just a thought.

iluv69s
08-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but I have all the Gibb paperwork on the 34 ZL-1..the car shipper with all the options and prices, a letter from Fred himself about the car (before he died) and even the paperwork when the car was picked up from the dealer and returned to Norwood. I also have the MSO from Govan's Chev. when it was sold new to the public. If anyone is interested, I could scan and post.

DW31S
08-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Would that &quot;Govan's&quot; Chevrolet be &quot;Jerry's Govans&quot; Chevrolet? Baltimore, Maryland?

jl8z28
08-29-2011, 02:29 AM
yes

lwe
07-02-2012, 04:46 PM
i whould like to see the copo l72 vin list to see if my car is listed thanks lw engler 69camaro

07-06-2012, 05:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i whould like to see the copo l72 vin list to see if my car is listed thanks lw engler 69camaro </div></div>So would I, I don't think one exists

JB L-78 &L-34
08-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Do you know what Dealer number Govans was? I am trying to figure out who dealer #14504 was in that area. My car (1970 L-78) was sold new at dealer in Blatimore.

ratpatrol
06-03-2013, 06:29 PM
I am Cliff Bristow - owner of Cliff Bristow Motors in Three Hills Alberta from 1969 to 1972 when the dealership was destroyed in a fire. The ZL1 Camaro was originally ordered by George Stedelbauer for his dealership in Edmonton,Alberta. At the time of ordering the price of the COPO option was not known. When the car arrived George refused the car and it was returned to GM zone stock but left at the dealership. As I was building a Pro Stock Camero at the time GM called to see if I would make an offer on the car. I purchased it for $5,500 and picked it up with my trailer at Stedelbauer Chev-Olds. Upon returning to Three Hills it went directly into the shop, the aluminum engine was removed an a crate 427 was installed. (About the biggest mistake I ever made)I sold the car to a buyer who I believe was from Saskatchewan. The engine performed extremely well in the 1970 Pro Stock car with a career best run of 10:40 at 138 MPH.
This was close to the NHRA national record at the time but shortly after the Vega cars took over. The car was built and stored at Crossfields with Rolly Johnston who did all the mechanical work on it and drove it. After the fire life was very difficult and I moved to Edmonton and lost track of what happened to the engine.

PeteLeathersac
06-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Wow Cliff, welcome aboard!!!
A few performance cars you delivered are still around including some that've shown up here on this site.
Note the post a couple pages back by Rszmjt w/ a timeline of your engine after it left your hands.
I expect your dealership was Zone # 82, do you happen to recall your dealer code?
Lastly, we love pictures here so if you have any of your dealership or your ProStock car there's lots of lads here that would love to help you post 'em.

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif
~ Pete

SS427
06-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Welcome aboard. Its stories like these that make it all worthwhile. Thanks for that.

ZAPPER68
06-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Welcome aboard Cliff....I remember your Pro Stock car when it raced in Saskatoon back in the day. I have coffee regularly with Dan Barkley who had the Wheeler Dealer Camaro from the same era. He too has some great stories from that era. Not to hijack the thread but Dan &amp; his son Chad are still racing to this day.

camaromb
06-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Cliff,
Thanks for posting. The current owner of the car would like to talk to you about the car if possible. The engine is currently being repaired/built. There may be some history on that motor you remember! I sent you a pm. We look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you.
Mark

6smitty9
10-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Hi, im new here, i have a 69 ss that would tribute to #54 ZL1 very easy, just want all the info i can get on it, thanx , Smitty

11-11-2013, 02:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6smitty9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, im new here, i have a 69 ss that would tribute to #54 ZL1 very easy, just want all the info i can get on it, thanx , Smitty
WHAT exactly are you inquiring about???
</div></div>

x3hillsfarmer
01-10-2014, 12:42 AM
RE: 1969 ZL1 Camero

Hello I am Brian - X-3 HIlls Farmer. It was great to see Mr. Cliff Bristow respond to your site re: Blue 1969 Camero ZL1. At 15 years of age, My dad, Fred, was farming 1500 acres of grain land at Three Hills Alberta. In 1968, my dad purchased (demo) Chev custom half-ton pickup from Mr. Bristow One day, my dad and I stopped into Cliff's garage. The big door was opened and there was a new 1968, 302 Z28 with the hood up and running and with a cross ram. I was hooked. July 17, 1968, my dad got sick and we lost him. For a few years, we carried on farming but without my dad, things just weren't the same. My cousin, Roy, was friends with Cliff and also John who owned the IGA Store next door to Cliff Bristow motors. Roy introduced me to John who at the time drove a 1967 SS396, 4 speed, Chevelle; ordered new from which was Three Hills Motors at the time. At 15 years old, I jumped into John's Chevelle, went down the road and back by myself, jumped out of the car and said to John, &quot;One day I'm going to own this car.&quot; A year and 1/2 later, the car was mine. A year or so later, I decided I needed more power. At 17 years old I went into Mr. Bristows office and sat down with him and ordered new 30 over, 375 Hp, 11-1 pistons, 375 hp solid cam and lifters and rebuilt my big block 402 in my dad's shop on the farm by myself. It was a winner. It ran great.

All the staff and mechanics at Bristow's were very nice to me. At any time, I could go to their shop and test ride in a 69 Nova with a 427 or go for a ride in a new 70 Camero Z28, Hugger Orange, which was just unloaded off the truck. Now before I ordered those 11 to 1 pistons, there was a big block, short block on the floor wrapped up in a plastic bag. I asked one mechanic what that was and he said &quot;No, you don't want that engine.&quot; He said it had 7 or 8 thousands cylinder clearance. It was a new 427 L88 Short block. Now that I think of it, it probably wasn't the cylinder clearance but maybe it was too much engine for a 17 year old to go out onto hwy 21 with. The 1969 blue camero ZL1 with hounds tooth interior was a fact. I looked at this car several times sitting along side Cliff's garage, sitting high in the front end with the engine out. I had my hands on the drivers glass lookin inside the car.

Many times I road my Honda to Shepard Raceway in Calagary to watch Rollie drive Cliff's 68 Rat Patrol Camero with a 427 which always ran great. As well as the 1970s' Rat Patrol Camero which had the ZL1 engine out of the blue 69 Camero. This was a great looking car which always reminds me of Grumpy Jenkin's Cameros. All of this is FAct. From this point on, I lost track of these cars. I brought into Cliff' Bristow, s garage two close friends of mine (brothers); Barry ordered a 70 Chevelle 454, LS5 with a bench and a rock crusher. --for just under $4400 Canadian. I was sitting there when the deal was made. Cliff the other brother purchased a new 70s Nova with a 350, 4 speed but Bristow Motors swapped engines for a 375 hp, 396. Another fellow that I knew from Calgary purchased a new 69 dark green L88, 427 Nova. At any given time, there were 454, LS6s and LS7 big blocks sitting there ready to go. This dealer ship had big blocks all over Alberta. Once the dealership and Cliff Bristow were gone, the fun was gone. I am a permanent US Resident living 17 years in NV, . CA, and in the Phoenix, AZ area. If I could go back to the Three Hills Farm, get my work done, drive my 67 big block Chevelle down highway 21 to Bristow's hot little dealership, I'd be back in a minute.
Best regards,
Brian
PS At 60, I may be looking for another red 1967 SS396 HP 4-speed again.

chevelleheart
01-11-2014, 12:04 AM
Great story Brian !! Neat to hear some history like that!

bigsixman
01-12-2014, 06:39 PM
I enjoyed your post, thanks for sharing it.

camaromb
08-10-2014, 03:40 AM
Brian,
Thanks for your post regarding your experiences with Bristol motors and the ZL1 Camaro. The original ZL1 motor for the blue ZL1 is currently being re-assembled and I hope to see it back in the restored blue Canadian ZL1 in the near future.

Mark

STOLI
01-27-2016, 02:17 AM
I LIKE TO KNOW IF ANY ORIGINAL PICTURES ARE AVAILBLE , I HAVE A LEMANS BLUE ZL1 RECREATION THAT IM NEEDING PITURES OF TO SEE IF THE WHEELS ARE THE RALLY OR SLEEPER , AND THE VINYL TOP PICS , THE CAR I HAVE HAS A REAL ZL1 ENGINE , NO CRATE ENGINE , IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE PICS CONTACT ME 405-833-1586

IM INTERESTED IN SELLING THIS CAR

STOLI
01-27-2016, 02:24 AM
I LIKE TO KNOW IF ANY ORIGINAL PICTURES ARE AVAILBLE , I HAVE A LEMANS BLUE ZL1 RECREATION THAT IM NEEDING PITURES OF TO SEE IF THE WHEELS ARE THE RALLY OR SLEEPER , AND THE VINYL TOP PICS , THE CAR I HAVE HAS A REAL ZL1 ENGINE , NO CRATE ENGINE , IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE PICS CONTACT ME 405-833-1586

IM INTERESTED IN SELLING THIS CAR

Sent from my iPhone
5 Attached Images

midyr
01-27-2016, 04:57 PM
For anyone actually interested in fact from one of the few of us left that were there and up to our elbows in it back then, George Eaton Racing lost their funding at the end of the 1969 season and I bought the only two blocks they had left, a 430 Can Am and a ZLI, in addition to several cylinder heads that had all been ported by Traco Engineering, GM's designated engine builder for the Can Am Series. That was December of 1969. By then those of us with close sponsorship ties to GM knew about the Nurse ZL1 Camaro. It passed through Nurse to Eaton purely because Nurse was the nearest dealership to the Oshawa head office and was used for that sort of thing. Eaton's team manager told me the ZL1 was from the Nurse car.

I was one of the founders of NHRA Pro Stock (we signed the papers in a meeting room at a Holiday Inn in Dallas the night before the 1969 World Finals) and used the 430 Can Am block in my 68 Camaro the first year of P/S, 1970. See attached pic of the blocks &amp; heads behind the Camaro, subsequently painted white.

As for the Stedelbauer ZL1, I have known the Stedelbauer family since the 1960s and last spoke with George about two years ago, when we discussed the car along with a number of other interesting rolling stock. George remembers taking the car off of Oshawa's hands when they couldn't find a dealer even vaguely interested. Unlike younger brother Bill, George had no interest in racing and no intention of racing it and did not have it long enough to race it.

Lance Hill

STOLI
01-28-2016, 03:17 PM
DO YOU HAPPEN KNOW IF THE # 54 ZL1 SHIPPED TO BRISTOL MOTORS LEMAN BLUE WITH BLACK TOP HAD SLEEPER WHEELS OR RALLY I CANT FIND ANY INFO ON THE WHEELS OF THAT CAR , OR ANY SIGNIFIGANT PICTURES OR NONE AT ALL ?/
405-833-1586 CALL ME IF ANY INFO AVAILABLE ON THIS CAR I THINK ITS MISSING ENGINE WAS REMOVED

STOLI
01-28-2016, 03:19 PM
DO YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE ANY PICTURES OR DETAILS OF THIS CAR IM WANDERING ABOUT WHEEL SLEEPER OR RALLY TYPE WAS ON THIS CAR 405-833-1586

Carleen
01-28-2016, 03:45 PM
http://www.camaros.org/9560list.shtml

STOLI
01-28-2016, 03:56 PM
DO YOU HAPPEN TO REMEBER IS WHEELS ARE RALLY OR SLEEPE

Carleen
01-28-2016, 04:10 PM
It doesn't show Rally Wheels on the option list so it was probably Dog Dish Wheels.
The ones that was delivered with Rally Wheels show ZJ7 Rally Wheels.
I can be wrong, I really doesn't know.

STOLI
02-01-2016, 05:41 PM
THANKS FOR REPLY

x3hillsfarmer
02-07-2016, 06:26 PM
Stoli,
Sorry didn't get back sooner about Cliff Bristols #54 ZL-1 blue Camero from 3 Hills. No pics. Just stood by it looked in at hounds tooth interior. What I remember, wheels blue to match car &amp; had dog dish hub caps.
Wonderful u have one of these cars. Today Super bowl Sunday 2016 - really enjoy hearing about these cars. Will try to keep up on posts. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/youguysrock.gif all the best from AZ
x3hillsfarmer

70CitrusZ
04-28-2018, 03:46 AM
Still love that car 54.....

PeteLeathersac
01-05-2020, 01:56 PM
'

Unloading pics from my system including a few that belong here.
First are a couple shots of Rolly Johnson's original Rat Patrol '68 Camaro.
Next is the only pic I've ever seen of the '70 Rat Patrol car, love to see others if anyone has more.
As many here know, '69 ZL1 #54 was purchased by Cliff Bristow Motors and Alum' 427 immediately yanked/swapped into the new '70 Rat Patrol.
To clarify, these cars are NOT connected w/ Adrian Lima's '69 Camaro or John James' '70 Chevelle also named Rat Patrol.
:beers:
~ Pete

PeteLeathersac
01-05-2020, 01:59 PM
'

Rolly Johnson's ZL1 powered '70 Camaro Rat Patrol sponsored by Cliff Bristow Motors.
~ Pete

ZAPPER68
01-05-2020, 07:16 PM
Pete, The '70 Camaro ZL1 Rat Patrol picture certainly brings back memories. I used to watch it in action at the Saskatoon International raceway back in the day.

There might be additional photos of it on their website...in the archives section.

PeteLeathersac
01-05-2020, 08:57 PM
'

Thanks Zap and very cool you were there w/ an eyeballs view of the action!
Good thought on the SIR Archives, love to see/hear anything more of either Rat Patrol also any other Cliff Bristow Motors cars.
~ Pete

PeteLeathersac
04-28-2023, 11:32 AM

Here’s a couple Old Newspaper Ads for ZL1 #54 from May of’69.
Cliff Bristow was advertising it in Calgary also other Ad an Edmonton # but Not Stedelbauer Chevrolet where Cliff got it?
Interesting is Cliff’s Ad notes 4-wheel Disc, this nor any ZL1 was JL8…was it?:hmmm:
Being May ‘69, the’70 Rat Patrol car wasn’t there yet so Cliff had the ‘69 ZL1 for a few months before pulling engine.
~ Pete

William
04-28-2023, 11:38 AM
Nope, no JL8 COPO Camaros. Did have the special HD BE code 4.10 posi axle.

A few had 4.56 gears via COPO 9511.

Bill Pritchard
04-28-2023, 09:41 PM
Nope, no JL8 COPO Camaros

Probably not 600 HP either, but hey, it all made for good copy in the newspaper ad :wink:

William
04-28-2023, 10:08 PM
Nope. Bill Porterfield did a rebuild on one of the production engines many years ago. 524 hp with open headers.

iluv69s
04-29-2023, 11:56 PM
Mine put out 540 HP with a bone stock rebuild (with only modern bearings, rings, bolts etc.) with open headers.

PeteLeathersac
01-07-2024, 12:55 AM

Awesome shot of Rollie Johnson’s Rat Patrol ‘70 Camaro w/ Original Engine from ZL1 #54.
Thanks to Pro Stock John for posting the picture over on this other great thread…
https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=177759
~ Pete

PeteLeathersac
01-07-2024, 04:01 PM

Here’s an early picture of the ‘68 car that may as well land here too.
Reportedly it’s the same car as Post-72 on Page-8 but before Rat Patrol paint job.
Anyone w/ more info/pics of either Rat Patrol or ZL1 #54 also any Cliff Bristow cars, please share.
~ Pete

PeteLeathersac
01-07-2024, 08:12 PM

Check out this Cliff Bristow Ad from 08/70, specifically the BRAND NEW ‘69 Camaro at the bottom.
454 Auto w/ No miles + PS/PB and VT also Custom Interior too, good chance it’s ZL1 #54 after its Original
Alloy Engine was removed for rehoming in the new ‘70 Rat Patrol Camaro?:hmmm:
Thanks again PSJ for getting me going on this subject again as I have more saved yet to post.:biggthumpup:
~ Pete

PeteLeathersac
01-08-2024, 04:56 PM

A few more Cliff Bristow Ads + Clippings w/ either he or RJ and the Rat Patrol cars.
Note 10/16/70 Ad w/ 454 Camaro, likely ZL1 #54 again as above 08/70 Ad still available?
More to come!
~ Pete

PeteLeathersac
01-09-2024, 12:05 AM

It’s 1972 and Cliff Bristow Motors running smoothly, lots of GM product rolling through their doors including family cars/trucks also performance cars and parts plus racing success w/ the ZL1 powered Rat Patrol Camaro!
Perhaps we’ll get lucky and Cliff himself will show up here again w/ more to add but looking at these next few Newspaper Ads and articles, things seem to go from good to bad very quickly.
It’s April and the Rat Patrol Camaro is up for sale, perhaps Cliff and RJ had a new Vega in the works?
May 28/72 came the Fire, then things got even more difficult as the Bank put the squeeze on.
Reading the 03/74 article, a fella can’t help but feel for the Bristows as they dealt w/ all that was happening.
Amazing how quickly Cliff got things done on likely no sleep plus totally understandable why stop payments issued when the bank didn’t follow through on their end.
Although all too late to save Bristow Motors, it’s cool the 1974 Judge seemed to understand and sympathize w/ the facts also offer the lowest sentence possible.
Here’s to Cliff Bristow also Rollie Johnston and the ZL1 powered Rat Patrol!:3gears:
~ Pete

PeteLeathersac
01-09-2024, 02:44 AM

…Rollie was a man of many passions.
In the late 60’s, Rollie met fellow car racing enthusiast Cliff Bristow. They partnered together, and with the help of Head Mechanic Dallas Hehr,
Rollie built the engine for “The Rat Patrol” and then raced the car for several years, and was the 1971 NHRA Canadian Points Champion…

Above an excerpt from a tribute to Rollie Johnston, Driver of the ZL1 powered Rat Patrol ‘70 Camaro who passed away exactly two years ago today, link here…
https://strathmoretimes.com/2022/johnston-walter-roland-rollie/

Rollie Johnston - ‘70 Camaro 427 Rat Patrol
1971 Records: 1/4 Mile: 9.485 ET, 146.10 MPH 1000 Ft. 0.000 ET, 0.00 MPH 1/8 Mile: 6.180 ET, 115.08 MPH
1971 Average: 1/4 Mile: 10.161 ET, 137.00 MPH 1000 Ft. 0.000 ET, 0.00 MPH 1/8 Mile: 6.465 ET, 109.33 MPH
1971 Minimum: 1/4 Mile: 10.837 ET, 128.45 MPH 1000 Ft. 0.000 ET, 0.00 MPH 1/8 Mile: 6.795 ET, 104.02 MPH

Below Pics reportedly the Original Engine from ZL1#54 after extensive repairs/rebuild as this 2017 thread…
https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=144923
~ Pete

jerry j
01-09-2024, 07:52 PM
https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=144923

jerry j
01-09-2024, 08:00 PM
https://www.yenko.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=253723&stc=1&d=1704833963