PDA

View Full Version : canadian dealership

pacecar
06-04-2005, 08:27 AM
I heard of a dealership in Ontario Canada,, Carter chev/olds .
They were heavy into the musclecars in 69 as the owner of the dealership used to race 69 s, any 1 have any muscle from that dealership. ??? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Mr70
06-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Maurice(Mo)Carter Chevrolet/Olds,was into Racing.
I have some Hi-po ads & trinkets from him.
He liked to go fast.

Supercar_Kid
06-04-2005, 07:02 PM
There was also Jack Carter Chevy/Olds in Calgary. My buddy had a Canadian built 68 Butternut 396 Impala that sold new there.
http://www.yenko.net/attachments/142392-JackCarter1.jpg

Keith Tedford
06-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Mo Carter was into TransAm racing in the '60s. His shop was in Hamilton, Ontario I believe. There is a local '69 L78 Chevelle convertible that still has the Carter dealership emblem on the trunk lid...GM documentation too. The car needs a restoration but is all there and is on the road.

mister_copo
06-06-2005, 01:25 AM
I have a 69 Nova 396/375 Black on Black from Jack Carters. Carters sold quite a few of the L78 cars back in the day, and I know of at least three other local L78 cars from Carters.

Colesy
06-06-2005, 02:45 AM
Here's a shot from 1970 of Maurice Carter's 69 Z/28 Trans Am Car. Mo was quite an accomplished driver and won his fair share of races..............Bill

Supercar_Kid
06-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Found this at Team Camaro:

Maurice Carter Chev-Olds LTD
155 Cannon St. East
Hamilton, Ontario L8L2A

Zone 95 Dealer 519

pacecar
06-09-2005, 07:05 AM
Yep thats him, I used to have 1 of his personel pics of all the muscle on his dealership floor..Camaros,chevelles.
hes gone now I think , now called city chev/olds.
His daughter is married to Alex Van Halen.
That was his brother out west.

He had all kinds of pics of him racing,and trophies in his office. small world. Pacecar

Mr70
06-09-2005, 07:57 PM
A 1971 Promotion for an Anton/Horizon Chevrolet SPORTSWEAR Jacket.
*Note-Not a Sports DEPARTMENT Jacket.There is a Difference.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/Rick_Peters/Carter0002.jpg

Mr70
06-09-2005, 08:08 PM
More from the Same Portfolio.
Checkout the Blue Stinger Vega the kids are leaning on,and the Cool Display rack behind Twiggy & Mutton Chops. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/Rick_Peters/Penske0002.jpg

budnate
06-09-2005, 08:22 PM
cool stuff Rick, is that first coat black with the logos?? I dont think I have ever seen that one..I recall the second ones and thinking how cheesy the salesmen looked in them when I worked at the dealer as a kid..I had piles of old GM stuff and lost it all in storage in the 80's,,bummer http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Mr70
06-09-2005, 08:30 PM
They were offered in only 3 colours. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Navy Blue,Red,or White,in various Mens,Womens & Childrens sizes.All possible lined,or unlined.
I have examples of all 6.
I believe that is a Blue Yenko Stinger Vega WAGON those kids are leaning against.
One of only 10 made for 1972 production.

Canuck
06-17-2005, 01:00 AM
The Carter family had dealerships in Hamilton(Maurice),Winnipeg,Calgary(Jack) and Vancouver(Howard). I am not sure if they were brothers but were all related. Mo was a serious racer. I was part of a team sponsored by Castrol in the early 70's and competed in the same races. We sourced many parts from him for our own 69 Camaro. In 1974 I got a quote from them for a new 1975 Camaro with an over the counter 1970 Version LT1 transplaned at the dealership. The conversion cost was not significant. A career change at the time killed the plan. I may still have the letter.

Mr70
06-17-2005, 01:02 AM
Welcome.
I think I can speak for most when I say we would all enjoy seeing a copy of that letter,or anything else you have to share.

Vettefinderjim
09-01-2005, 08:02 AM
Joe Freitas, Caifornia Corvette race driver from 1961 thru 1965, now has Mo's 69 Trans Am Race Camaro. It has been certified in the Trans Am Registry under #TA-88 and will debut in it's first vintage Trans Am race at San Diego Speed Week October 8-9, 2005.

We are looking for pictures and additional history on the car. If anyone has any info........leads on crew people.....names, phones on employess etc., it will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim Gessner
[email protected]

Vettefinderjim
09-01-2005, 08:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Carter family had dealerships in Hamilton(Maurice),Winnipeg,Calgary(Jack) and Vancouver(Howard). I am not sure if they were brothers but were all related. Mo was a serious racer. I was part of a team sponsored by Castrol in the early 70's and competed in the same races. We sourced many parts from him for our own 69 Camaro. In 1974 I got a quote from them for a new 1975 Camaro with an over the counter 1970 Version LT1 transplaned at the dealership. The conversion cost was not significant. A career change at the time killed the plan. I may still have the letter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything you have, especially for the 1970 season will be appreciated. We understand that there may have been two 1969 cars raced that season. One was a vin # car off the dealership lot, the other a 'tub' car from the Penske stable that was acid dipped. Do you know anything about the two car story?

vintagegz
02-17-2006, 11:02 PM
none of these Carters were related. Maurice was also Can Am champion one year, I believe he just passed away a while ago

Mr70
02-23-2006, 03:03 AM
Courtesy of PeteLeathersac.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/Rick_Peters/1971mosport.jpg

Mr70
02-23-2006, 03:04 AM
Courtesy of PeteLeathersac.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/Rick_Peters/1971motorsport.jpg

PeteLeathersac
02-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks for posting the pics Rick! . Both are from the Canadian Motor Sports '71 RuleBook. . The Mosport front straight shot is Can-Am '70, the slippery flag is up, no positions on the tower shown and '70 Torino Pace Car parked....practice session? . That's Dan Gurney in McLaren #48 (Bruce had just been killed before this first round of the '70 season), Denny Hulme in McLaren #5 and Jackie Oliver in the #22 AutoCoast Titanium Chevrolet....others harder to identify but a whole buncha' ZL1 power ready to battle! . Somewhere in there is #11, Lothar Motschenbacher probably running the ZL1 motor that was on eBay a couple months ago? . The Mo Carter Ad is from the inside of the RuleBook....sorry it turned out so small but it notes he's a Minilite dealer for one thing. . The Whites Speed decal is from another thread. ~ Pete

PeteLeathersac
02-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Here's a small blub on Mo Carter from the Canadian Autosports Hall of Fame. .

Maurice (MO) Carter

A decorated World War II veteran, a dedicated community leader and successful auto dealer in Hamilton, Ont., Maurice (Mo) Carter started rallying in 1961 and racing in 1966. Over the next 15 years, he drove his familiar red-and-white Carter Camaros on every road racecourse in North America. In 1973, he became the first Canadian to win Trans-Am and IMSA races in the U.S. His Carter Camaro finished fourth behind a trio of Porsche 935 Turbos in the 24 Hours of Daytona in 1980.

Canuck
08-02-2006, 05:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
none of these Carters were related. Maurice was also Can Am champion one year, I believe he just passed away a while ago

[/ QUOTE ]
Just had a conversation with James Carter of Carter Chevrolet in North Vancouver. James is the son of Howard Carter who operated Carter Pontiac Buick in Burnaby for years. James confirmed Mo was his uncle,as was Jack in Calgary. The Grandfather ran the dealership in Winnipeg. The Carter family have many franchises in the Greater vancouver area,including 2 GM locations,Honda motorsports, and All Chrysler lines.

PeteLeathersac
08-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Here's a good Mo' story,

A friend dropped by the recently for a visit....she's early 40's and grew up in Hamilton Ontario. . I'm not sure what her home situation was growing up but believe she only had her Mom around? .
Anyway, she was born w/ a birth defect (missing arm) and belonged to a local 'Big Brother' type of group in Hamilton Ontario for disabled kids. .
Well you can guess who she got matched up with for her 'Big Brother'....yep, who else but good ol' Mo' Carter! .
Of course I quizzed the crap out of her on what she remembers and although she can't recall ever going to Mosport or any of his other races, she did visit his dealership and race shop on lots of occasions and mostly remembers the shop was super clean and had a whole lot of trophies in Mo's office. . Also she remembers lots of Camaros and Mo' would put his helmet on her and strap her in the cars! .
She also told me it was standard to be assigned a new 'Brother' each year, but no way for Mo'....he put the hammer down and made sure he had her every year until she was too old to belong to the group! .
She lost touch w/ him in the years that followed and I filled her in that he was gone now and gave her a copy of an old Mo's Racing Shop advertisment I had. .
Just thought I'd share this part of the man unselfishly making time in his busy life for someone who was down a couple strikes! .

~ Pete

Xplantdad
08-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Pete,

Some people "Get it" and some don't... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

396L78canuck
08-08-2006, 04:16 PM
I just checked my Gm documentation on my 1970 L78 Nova SS
and see that it was shipped also to Maurice Carter in Hamilton on November 26,1969.
Bob Leroux http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Colesy
11-09-2006, 10:40 PM
More Mo Attached from 1972.

Colesy
11-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Carter Speed Shop 72.

Colesy
11-09-2006, 10:48 PM
And here's the photo.

PeteLeathersac
11-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Keep 'er comin' Colesy...anything Mo' is great stuff! .
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
~ Pete

Keith Tedford
11-10-2006, 12:56 AM
Our L78 Chevelle came from Holland Motors just up the road in Burlington. I've run into several L78 cars from this dealership. I don't know of any COPO cars from either dealership but they were definitely into the hipo stuff. Ron Cook of the CanAm Chevelle club has a 300 Deluxe SS396 that was on the lot at the same time as our car. Both were sold new the same week. There is a Green '69 L78 Camaro that I saw at the GM show in Oshawa that was also sold new from Holland Motors. There were lots of good paying jobs for the young guys around Hamilton and the steel mills and the youngs guys bought lots of muscle cars.

Colesy
11-10-2006, 04:21 AM
Hey Pete; Here's something neat from Belmont. This is from a Feb. 69 issue of Wheelspin News (The Canadian High Performance Bible). I posted a piece of the Lance Hill/ David MacKay interview with Dizzy Dean Murray from Wheelspin in this forum a few months back. Lance wrote some great monthly columns for both National Dragster and Wheelspin back in the 60's. He continued to write (novels) after he left the sport. I'd sure like to find out if he is still with us and what he's up to these days. .......Bill

Colesy
11-10-2006, 04:36 AM
Here's a shot of Lance Hill at Indy 68 running against Bob Lambeck in Landy's Dart. This is when he was teamed-up with Dick Arons. Many of the Drag Mags of the day would identify this car as Dick Arons - driver, but it was Lance behind the wheel. I don't know if it's readable, but that's THRUSH on the rear quarter panel. The older Canucks will remember Thursh performance products. They also sponsored Gary Beck in the 70's. ...........Bill

Colesy
11-10-2006, 04:44 AM
And here's a shot of the same car in 69 with the Belmont sponsorship on the doors and Dick Arons Racing Engines on the quarters. ............Bill

Colesy
11-10-2006, 04:50 AM
Here's a Lance Hill prepped SS/EA = LS6 Chevelle. This is Mike Stephen at Cayuga Dragway Park in 1972. .......Bill

PeteLeathersac
11-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Great stuff...all of it! .
Lance was the man alright and that's right, he made his real dough writing novels. .
I may be wrong but think Zedder here mentioned he'd maybe owned one of Lance's Camaros for a time and knows of at least one more? .
Sure be nice to know the Vin of that LS6 rag car! .
If you were around the scene back then I'm sure you'd remember Carl 'Curly' Rowland, the driver of the famous Karbelt Topelino car. . He was a friend of mine, a brilliant fellow who sadly got wound up in the liquor foolishness in his later years and passed away about 6 or 7 years ago. . It's disappointing how he gets little recognition for his accomplishements in anything you read now. . Any pics you may have of him I'd love to see! .
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif
~ Pete

Colesy
11-11-2006, 01:58 AM
Sure do Pete. Here's a Hugh Greeson shot from around 1966/67. Carl's riding high in the saddle in this picture. A buddy of mine, Dave Pratt was one of the co-owners of this sweet little altered. You're right about Carl not receiving enough recognition. He was one extremely bright individual. .............Bill

Zedder
11-11-2006, 06:26 AM
No Pete, I owned Pete Fedun's '69 Z that he drag raced.

Colesy
11-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Hey Mark; Do you have any photos of Pete's 69 Camaro? Here's a shot of the 67. ..........Bill

Zedder
11-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Hi Bill. I have tons of shots of when I owned it, but I would need to scan them as they were back in the days before I had a digital Camera. It was a rolling shell with about 9,000 miles on it when I had it (from memory...I have notes on it somewhere here). I sold it to some friends and they did a really nice job restoring it back to it's stock Z appearance. Thanks for posting a pic of the '67...I sent you a PM.

Colesy
11-13-2006, 11:39 PM
More Mo Carter

Colesy
11-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Moe Carter 1970

Colesy
11-13-2006, 11:42 PM
More Moe 1970

PeteLeathersac
11-14-2006, 01:04 AM
Wow Bill...thanks for the pic! .
Great to see Curly himself in the shot...I've already printed it before it gets away! .
I'm sure your friend Dave would remember Darragh Moroney from Drag Dimensions etc...he's an old friend too and is still here in Peterboro'. .
I just noticed the jpg file of the Topelino is titled Percy...maybe can you come up with any pics of the old bomb "Percy One"...the Fiat was called "Percy Also". .

Love the Mo' pics too...I grew up down the road from Mosport so love any of these! .

Sorry Zedder...I remembered you'd had something and somehow thought it was one of Lance's cars? . Was it that you know where one is? .
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif
~ Pete

Colesy
11-14-2006, 01:21 AM
Pete; Yep, Percy was a Prefect (4 door Anglia). Here's a shot of it. ....................Bill

SMGCO
11-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Sure would like to know if anybody has any old photos ( or details about ) about my original Mo Carter L78 Camaro ( Azure Turquoise ) back in the day. Evidently the original and second owner ( both now deceased ? ) drag raced it around the Toronto, Hamilton, Ontario areas. Please help. Thanks.

spooled6
08-28-2015, 01:59 AM
This Maurice Carter stuff is like Christmas come early, thanks for the stories and pics. He was in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders regiment with my father. His ads on radio were well known in southern Ontario, the tag line was "Maurice Carter what a great, great guy!" sung in old ragtime fashion. There are still U-haul type rental trucks in the area with Carter on them, not sure if there is a connection though.

Stumbled on this through google, ebay slot car find.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Scalextric-Chevrolet-Camaro-Maurice-Carter-88-C2891-/390442284208

This is a brand new ScalextricTM 1:32 Scale Chevroletâ CamaroTM Slot Car in the Maurice Carter Paint Scheme. The race number is 88 (Item #2891). This car is ready-to-run. This car is part of the Classic Collection.

During the period between 1966 and 1972 the two US auto giants Ford and General Motors came head to head in the US Trans Am series. This rivalry became known as The Pony Car Wars, the Chevrolet Camaro and Ford Mustang being the principal adversaries. This 1969 Camaro Trans Am Race car was campaigned by Chevrolet dealer Maurice Carter of Maurice Carter Chevrolet-Oldsmobile, Hamilton, Ontario.

Features:

Easy Change Pickups
Magnatraction system

A great addition for any slot car enthusiast, and makes a wonderful gift!

http://i.imgur.com/JwTgvoV.jpg

spooled6
08-28-2015, 02:02 AM
Just noticed this thread is 10 years old, sorry for bumping it up if that is not good manners!

markus37
08-28-2015, 07:24 PM
The Yenko Stinger which I entered in the 2012 MCACN was built for Mo Carters dealership. By the way, it scored 998/1000 in the show.

RS_COPO_Canuck
09-30-2015, 06:05 PM
A friend of mine (Tommy Ryan) built the ZL1 engines for Mo. I may have a pic of one on the dyno from back then - I'll look.