PDA

View Full Version : COPO Chevelle?

Colesy
04-26-2006, 07:01 AM
From Wheelspin News October 1968 (Canadian Drag Racing Publication). Looks to be a 427 300 Deluxe Chevelle. Note the hood mounted tach.

Chevy454
04-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Those '68s are different beasts...

PeteLeathersac
04-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Post car too....cool! . Good ol' Wheelspin magazine....sure miss it and Track & Traffic! . Love to see more postings of any pages that look interesting....any good old advertising from Mo Carter or Eppie Wietze type guys? . I always like Weitze's ads as his GT-40 was often in the background of any pics. .

~ Pete

Postsedan
04-27-2006, 04:12 AM
William,

Most interesting race car. Is this the only photo of it?
Is there more of a story about this car?
Where would I be able to find this particular magazine since it was a Canadian publication.
Is there a possible magazine trader or outlet for these vintage race magazines somewhere in Canada?

Dan.

CTChevelle
04-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Very interesting photo. Notice that the car has GM stickers all over it. The car behind it, Camaro?, has the same GM stickers on the rear quarter. I wonder if GM had any involvment with the cars.

Steve

PeteLeathersac
04-27-2006, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Very interesting photo. Notice that the car has GM stickers all over it. The car behind it, Camaro?, has the same GM stickers on the rear quarter. I wonder if GM had any involvment with the cars.

You're right Steve....it does look like GM may have been involved? . Looks like something else to add to the 'down-home' area research as I already have something I've been tracking from that area. .

Dan, the odd Wheelspin mag pops up on eBay also I think there was a guy a few years back from the Hamilton Ontario area who was deeper into these era Canadian mags. . Aside from Wheelspin, search Track & Traffic mag also programs from Harewood which was a road-race track...I think he was into these too? . Good luck! .

~ Pete

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Colesy
04-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Guys; I have 10 to 12 issues of Wheelspin from the sixties and early seventies. The paper covered all forms of motorsports in Canada. This was the only photo of the Chevelle that I know of. Wheelspin was based in the Toronto area and relied on corospondents from across Canada to send in stories. There is a group here in Canada that have formed the Canadian Motorsports Hall of Fame and they have put all the "Track & Traffic" magazines onto CD for their members. They also have a large collection of Wheelspin in their archieves and there was talk of putting it on CD, but nothing as of yet...............Bill

PeteLeathersac
04-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Bill, cool news on the Track & Traffic CD's! . I didn't know the Cdn. Hall-o-Fame guys had done this....they've sure come a long way in the last few years! . I got to know HOF inductee Wally Branston while still in the car business and wanted to attend on 'his HOF day' but just couldn't make it. . Wally was driver of the famous Bardahl-Rocket and one of the few original Canadian stock-car heros still around from the Ted Hogan/CNE-track era....a truly great ol' guy!

Nice to know you've got a stash of Wheelspins! . Share a few more scans if you can....your other one has sure got a few wheels turning! .

~ Pete

Canuck
04-28-2006, 05:35 PM
The Cdn HOF is now located at the same site as Legendary Motor Cars in Halton Hills,Ont. I visited there last month and was impressed with what they had on display. Location may be temporary,as there is not enough space to display what they have.
As far as that Chevelle is concerned ,the action took place in Nova Scotia, A Chev Olds dealer from Halifax as a major Muscle car dealer. Bob Macdonald Chev Olds has lots of iron on their lot through the 60's and 70's.

Colesy
04-29-2006, 02:01 AM
Canuck; If I won the lottery and could retire tomorrow, I'd dedicate all my time to the Canadian Motorsports Hall of Fame. I was there this winter when it was at the CNE grounds and was very disappointed. I'm a Drag Racing collector, and there was very little there on the sport in Canada. Two of the biggest Canadian CHEVY drag racer's from the 60's weren't even mentioned in the museum or their book. Attached are photos of Lance Hill (Toronto) and Buck Kinney from Vancouver. These guys ran the and won with bowtie cars when both Ford and Mopar in Canada were heavily financing their own teams (John Phillipps Titanic Ford Team and John Petrie's Mopar High Performance Clinic). Lance Hill was teamed up with Dick Arons (Booth-Arons Fame)and was a corespondent for Wheelspin News and National Dragster. These were both 396 cars. Both photos from Wheelspin. ...............Bill

Colesy
04-29-2006, 02:06 AM
OK, I guess you can only post 1 picture at a time. Here's Lance Hill. ....................Bill

Colesy
04-29-2006, 02:10 AM
And here's a better shot of Lance Hill's Camaro. .......Bill

Zedder
04-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Colesy...Great pics...thanks for sharing! Do you happen to have any pics of Pete Fedun and his '67 or '69 Z-28's??? Thanks, Mark.

Colesy
04-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Mark; Here's a shot of his wagon. What years did he run the Camaros? ...............Bill

Colesy
04-29-2006, 09:45 PM
And here's the photo

COPO PETE
04-30-2006, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And here's a better shot of Lance Hill's Camaro. .......Bill

[/ QUOTE ]
Looks like a Border Bandit Mustang in the background! Cool shot!
Peter

Zedder
04-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Colesy, he ran the '67 in '67 and '68, and the '69 in '69 and '70 I believe. Both cars where white and the '67 was also an RS. I used to own the '69 and have "dibs" on the '67 whenever it becomes available http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Thanks for the wagon shot!

PeteLeathersac
05-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Wow....this thread sure got great over the weekend! . Great pics Colesy! . Don't forget the great Canadian pics on the Karbelt.com site....here's the link if it works, click on GALLERY. .

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=ht...6lr%3D%26sa%3DG (http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.karbelt.com/assets/kb4.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.karbelt.com/contact_us.htm&h=283&w=400&sz=24&tbnid=R6QEX657DGv i6M:&tbnh=84&tbnw=120&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dkarbelt.com%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26 lr%3D%26sa%3DG)

Sure sounds like time for a trip to the CDN-HOF!

~ Pete