PDA

View Full Version : Issues with COPO at a show.

Toad
11-21-2006, 02:02 AM
So I was at a show this weekend and there was a guy there with a car that he claimed was a COPO. I don't doubt that somewhere along the line it was, but upon closer inspection I notice some peculiar things.

There were billet pullies under the hood, with aftermarket hoses clamps, wire loom, dist. coil etc. The interior had a chrome glove box and ashtray, along with a shift light(no tach?) and a big hurst shift knob. Also it had funky chrome exhaust tips. I don't remember it having an X code on the trim tag either, but I'm not sure that means anything.

I then got kind of frustrated and I proceeded to look at the block. I didn't see any numbers on the pad anywhere. They appeared to be machined off or something. Another guy at the show questioned this as well, and the owner proceeded to swear that he had "documentation" for the block. Like what? The numbers are gone?!?

It had been repainted too, fairly recently I assume. It had the aftermarket 427 emblems you get from Trim Parts on the front of the fenders.

Someone else pointed out the obvious intake manifold issue and the owner said that he was having problems with the throttle linkage on the original intake/carb setup so he put that one on. He said he has original parts and parts for show...that's how you win.

Correct me if I wrong, but original parts ARE show parts and that's what wins.

Was this guy blowing smoke out of his butt at everyone or what? Seems fishy to me.

quick-bowtie
11-21-2006, 07:03 PM
If the guy has documention it just sounds like a modified COPO to me..Nothing wrong with that if thats the kinda car you like.. If the car was white I believe it has been talked about on here and is real.

ORIGLS6
11-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Too little information; Too much information. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Are you saying that, in your opinion, ALL COPOs need to be in an "as built" condition to be correct and acceptable? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hmmm.gif

Toad
11-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Yes, ANY CAR should be in "as built" condition to be considered correct and/or original. Otherwise its a resto-mod which can lead to a lot of debate.

I'm not doubting its not a real COPO, but to me, when you separate the heart from the beast it's just a Camaro with a 427. Call me a purist, but that's the way I feel. Also if this guy is going to boast about how "correct" and original the car is then at least do it right and make sure everything looks the part. The devil is in the details when it comes to winning shows and that just wasn't it. We all know Auto Meter shift lights weren't a factory option. I've seen better clones than this one and to me that's sad.

Yes the car was white, but I could tell it had been repainted and I think it started life as a different color. There was talk of it originally being gold. Personally if your going to show a car and put COPO next to it, it should have paint that doesn't look like it's been re-painted.

I understand having a modified COPO as ones that are completley original and numbers matching are few and far between, but at least use vintage speed parts and make it period correct. It might as well have of been just another Camaro with a 427 IMO.

The guy can say all day long how he has full documentation or all the original parts at home, but without copies of the docs on display or the parts bolted on the car, no dice.

I will point out that it was not in the top 10 at the show. I'm guessing because of the same issues I had with it. Or it could've been the two orignial/correct Chevelles, one of them being an LS6, that were perfect.

Salvatore
11-22-2006, 11:54 PM
Maybe it wasn't a COPO. A lot of people think they know waht a COPO is. Sounds like a 69 camaro with a BB in it to me. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

LS6 RAT
11-23-2006, 12:18 AM
I agree with you as well. I think if someone is going to tout that they have a L72 COPO Camaro, then the car should reflect the factory assembled condition, otherwise why tout it as such, just show the car as a modified, restified, customized Camaro... and leave it at that.

I for one, make copies of my original factory documentation in color, so that they appear exactly the same as originals, except for being a copy and display the paperwork on the dash at all shows. I find that most people really enjoy seeing what these options were and cost back then. It also does away with any guesswork and conjecturing on their part or mine.

ORIGLS6
11-23-2006, 04:52 AM
I think you misunderstood my original reply. Disregard the authenticity of the car in question; It sounds like you're saying ANY car that is a legitimate COPO shouldn't be recognized as such just because it isn't in 'as built' condition?

Even though I lean toward unmodified cars, not everyone shares my interest. MANY people modify and 'customize' their cars to their own tastes. Modifications of any and all kinds don't change a cars original birth right.

Look at the #1 and the #16 ZL-1s. By your standards they shouldn't be recognized as what they truly are?

I guess "Opinions vary."

69LM1
11-23-2006, 06:19 AM
One of the coolest muscle cars of all time that I have seen was a "day 2" low mile white copo. It was in "as raced" dress, and had low miles (18k ??), all 1/4 at a time. Paint chips, stickers and all. It was at a local super chevy show. I'd take it any day over a trailer queen.