PDA

View Full Version : Bill Thomas race cars

mbxlesney
12-24-2006, 05:42 PM
I have a couple of questions about Bill Thomas race cars. Did Bill Thomas ever keep records (like Joel Rosen) of cars he may have transformed in the Southern California area. I know he had a deal with Nickey in Chicago but did he do work for any local CA. dealers. I saw he had a cosponsorship deal with Cone Chevrolet in 62-63 era on Hayden Profitts 62 Z11 prior to the Nickey marriage. My L78 Nova came from Cone Chevrolet and had a Bill Thomas race cars decal located on the passenger side rear window that was with a host of other racing parts type decals that was weathered and cracked. Not sure if past owner had work done there or just purchased parts from him. I feel Bill Thomas may have had a hand in helping some of his local clients as well, wether Dyno Tuning to engine transplants to maybe speed parts. Over the years I have collected some repro decals I have a decal that looks like a Nickey only has Bill Thomas and the other I have attached is like the one on my window with the exception that the original attached on the inside of the glass. Seems like this subject is a mystery and would like to learn more about his role in the Southern California area. Anybody have any interesting stories out there concerning this mystery? Please share.

mbxlesney
12-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Here is a pic of an ad for Hurst showing the Bill Thomas, Cone Chevrolet and the Hayden Proffit connection. I have also collected a Model car kit of this 62 Z11.

Stefano
12-24-2006, 08:26 PM
No mystery? Bill Thomas and Bill Thomas Race Cars was "The" performance shop on the West Coast for Chevy Hi-Performance.

BTRC was one of the key players during the era who had direct "covert" access to GM engineering.

It would be a safe assumption to say that numerous cars were brought to his shop for various degrees of work.

He was involved at many levels with numerous significant race cars from back in the day, in all types of auto sports.

rodfather1
12-27-2006, 04:04 AM
Bill did a lot of hands on work, like making his own headers.

1962GS
04-15-2007, 04:49 AM
I have Bill Thomas decals on BOTH vent windows of my '64 Sting Ray. Back in 1968 or '69 I had their shop fit Koni shocks and change my manual steering to the faster power steering ratio. They cranked the new shocks to about setting three out of six, creating a hard ride but a better slalom racing machine.

About 15 years later I had Dick Guldstrand put a full big-block heim-joint suspension on it. I also customized the body with '58 headlight buckets, '82 fender flares, etc. in the style of a Grand Sport. The decals will probably have to go when I remove the windshield one of these days, maybe I'll hang 'em on the wall.

I am also an early Chevy II fan (my oldest son has a '63 100 two-door post with a 388 small block, discs, frame connectors, fuel cell, Torq-Thrusts, etc. that screams.
Bill Thomas built some awesome Novas.

If Chevy had given him the support necessary and deserved, Bill Thomas could have out-done Carroll Shelby. Good to see him involved again, if only to authenticate the continuation Cheetahs.

Belair62
04-15-2007, 05:30 AM
Got any pics to post ? Sounds cool !!!