PDA

View Full Version : 1971 T/A 455 H.O. -- What's it worth??

eilig
02-09-2008, 04:22 AM
A few years ago, I sold a 1971 Trans Am 455 H.O. that had been in our family since purchased new by my uncle in 1971. I made the guy who I sold it to promise that if he ever had to sell it, he'd call me first. Guess what. He's selling. The car's got 45k original miles. It's Lucerne Blue with black deluxe interior, automatic transmission, and a few options (A/C, power windows, AM/FM, can't remember the others right now.) It in beautiful original condition. It's hard to find one nicer.

So, my question for you guys is: How much is that car worth in today's market?

Thanks!

firstgenaddict
02-09-2008, 04:36 AM
Restored or original... like as in original paint original interior un-restored chassis and engine bay?
There are a few factors to consider in this one... especially with the factor of very original thrown in...

Late BrakeU2
02-09-2008, 05:13 AM
I remember your car when you had it on here-can't believe It has been a few years already?? That was a very nice example.I don't think much of anything other than azure turquoise 16k orig mile COPO camaros are selling for top dollar right now.50k if it had another pedal?? This is a very hard time to hold gross on anything automotive.jmho

eilig
02-09-2008, 06:12 AM
The car was painted once, in 1973, by my uncle. He put about 38,000 miles on it during the first few years of ownership. Then he decided to make it a keeper, and he took it apart, painted it, and put it back together himself. He's very skilled, so it was all done right and took about 6 months. So yes, it's been repainted once, but done right. Car has been babied it's whole life. I sold it, and our family's 70 Olds W-30 with 18K original miles, to pay for my dad's surgery. Dad made it through the surgery, but had DVT clots filling both legs which ballooned up bigger than his waist! Just glad he's still with us. Anyway, can almost afford to buy the TA back, and trying to come up with a fair price. Thanks.

njsteve
02-09-2008, 06:19 AM
I would imagine 45K would be current market value. Cant tell much more without seeing pictures. Big $$$ items would be carb & distributor - if not original pieces deduct about 5K.

eilig
02-09-2008, 06:24 AM
All mechanicals are 100% original -- including carb and distributor. Engine never out or opened up.

eilig
02-09-2008, 06:25 AM
Under hood. All clean and all original.

eilig
02-09-2008, 06:27 AM
Does anyone know how many blue ones were manufactured in 1971?

mockingbird812
02-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Boy Jay, that is a smart looking car. Glad to hear your Dad made it thru the surgery. Hope he continues to recover. Best of luck retrieving your TA. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

drdave69
02-10-2008, 03:00 AM
Well, I think I just got a STIFFY seeing those pictures. Sorry that I can't help with the value but Steve is the top dog on early Trans Ams. He will be a good judge of the current value.

68bird400HO
02-10-2008, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know how many blue ones were manufactured in 1971?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are no official numbers but it is believed that around 30% were blue.

njsteve
02-10-2008, 07:32 PM
So how much is the guy offering it to you for? If it was my family heirloom I would mortgage the house to get it. (Hopefully he is not thinking the same thing).

Stefano
02-10-2008, 08:47 PM
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Can-I-Have-It.gif

ta-kid
02-10-2008, 08:53 PM
I have owned and sold many over the years.I sold an auto matic 71 completely restored for 46k three years ago with a SR block.I sold a 71 blue 4-speed numbers natching for 52k last year.With the way the economy is to-day with the down turn,I would assume they are still about the same market value or slightly less.But this car has sentimental value to you on top,so if it were me I would proably be willing to pay a 10 to 20 % premimum to get it.If I were buying it as described,anything under 60K is a fair purchase,anything under 50k is a good buy.
As to how many were blue,thats a tough call as many white ones have been re-painted during restorations as the perception is they have better re-sale.IMO the white ones are making a come back.If you send a E-mail to PHS ,pontiac historical services,they proably could tell you or direct you to the right person who could.I believe there were a lot less blue ones then white.
Remember next to the 1972 strike year ,the 71 is the rarest of the 455 cars and the HO was a stronger street engine then the more desirable production SD.