PDA

View Full Version : 1972 Buick Stage 1, BIG RED

BUIZILLA
04-20-2008, 04:16 AM
'72 Stage 1 *BIG RED*

previously a Members Ride feature car here
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am selling my documented 1972 Stage 1 GS.

A lot of people know this car over the years as Big Red, it has incredible history from day 1. Arguably, the most famous '72 Stage 1 of the 728 built. It has won a LOT of races. It has made Buick proud. It now shows very well as a weekend cruiser. Awarded one of the Fastest Street Cars in America by Hot Rod Magazine and NMCA in 1995-1997.

I have owned it for about 14 years, and my family agree's it's time to move on. I drove it maybe twice last year. Twice the year before. Less than 2,500 miles in the last 14 years. It lives in the trailer, in a warehouse. Reluctantly, I am finally writing an ad. I am permanently leaving the drag racing arena to persue other non-Buick competition events. This car deserves a good Buick enthusiast home. I believe the extra documents have significant added value. It is not a perfect car, but it IS a damn good solid car. The car is very fairly priced as such.

I have most all of the race and sponsorship history from 1972 on > Bought and ordered new by Buick Engineer Bill Trevor, I have several documents showing sponsorship directly by Buick for NHRA World Champ in 1972, with Dave Benisek. Bill sold the car to Dave after the winning '72 year, then about one year later sold it to Pop Kennedy. Then to one of the Bett's Bros., Alan Fontes, Joe Babay, then me, and so on from here... I have virtually every receipt of every penny I have spent on it having fun in the last 14 years, and it's about 3 times what the sale price is.

This car is probably one of the most documented race history stock GS Buicks, ever. Ran Pure Stock and C/SA. NHRA National Record Holder at that time. 1972 World Finals Winner. I am 99.99% positive that it's the only car to win every pass, at every NHRA event, in any one calender year of NHRA history, NHRA actually told me that themself, and the multiple National Dragster issues and original 1972 World Finals Program I have clearly state that. I even have 2 of the original spare 1972 NHRA Pomona Finals entry decals, unused. Not every previous owner is alive, but I have personally spoken to every one but 2. CA has not been cooperative in owner printed history, or i'm not doing it right, but the key players are still alive know and can speak of the car.

Nonetheless, it was special ordered under specific Buick factory option guidelines and built in Fremont CA in early Dec 1971, courtesy delivered to a Thousand Oaks Buick-Opel dealer for the Buick Zone rep. Bill Trevor, billed directly to Buick Motor Division. It was specifically supposed to have white interior by factory mandated spec's, but Bill and Dave snuck in the black interior checkmark under the radar. The factory wanted bucket seats, but the duet snuck in a custom bench because it was lighter than buckets, they couldn't delete or hide the other mandated options though. It was a rust free California car for 21 years until 1993, then to PA, then to Fla in late 1994. Always climate control warehoused, or trailer hauled, since I have owned it, never open trailered during my time whatsoever. It has only seen rain 4 or 5 times in the last 14 years, absolutely never driven in the rain by me. Car has run 9.90@136 with full exhaust at 3815# before. It can do it again.

Once only bare metal repaint in original red, Sikkens base/clear, in late winter of 1994, after I bought it. Original acquired material white vinyl top was perfectly replaced at the same time. Detailed and wet sanded again in 2007 by Luke Held. All original bumpers, bumper rubbers, grille, trim, and chrome. Underbody still shows original factory overspray and primer, never undercoated.

some current stat's...

'72 Stage 1 GS
showing approx 46,500 original miles
factory original Buick build sheets and paperwork
Sloan backup documentation
original sponsorship documentation from Buick, with payouts clearly stated
numerous NHRA paperwork, supporting the wins and history

It would take an hour to type out the rest of the paperwork so a buyer can view it for himself, and i'm not going to scan every page of 3 folders of paperwork. I will not scan or fax the original build sheet, or publically post it for security reasons, since an original tracking clue is within. The car was mandated by Buick to have every option except A/C, at one time later on they also mandated installing a tissue dispenser, I had one but I can't find it now.

455 Stage 1 car / T400 auto / 12 bolt / new 3.73 gears and new Eaton posi
red/white top/black custom split bench interior
original sheetmetal, never wrecked, no rust body
prepped T400 w/L88 convertor, I think I have the original BB tranny and convertor, I do not have the original engine or rear.

all original interior except for carpet
original core support and inner fenderwells
tinted glass all around in excellent condition
column shift
gauges and tach
power windows
power locks
power steering
power brakes
tilt wheel
sport wheel
custom split bench w/ fold down armrest
excellent, no cracks, original dashpad
Buick AM-FM radio
recessed wipers
Wheel Vintique sport wheels, 15x7/15x8, BFG front radials and street drag radials
line lock
newer brakes, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, rotors, and drums
new KYB shocks
hidden mini battery in trunk, with cutoff switch in trunk
Moroso front springs, Detroit Spring rear springs, correct even ride height
factory sway bars
drag race alignment
doors, hood, and trunk all close perfectly with one finger push
excellent panel alignment
rear inner wheel wheel lips have been rolled slightly, but the opening mouldings cover it, quarters are original and unmassaged
rear sump fuel tank, and electric SX under chassis fuel pump and regulator, #8 or #10 lines. I have a good spare fuel tank and correct emissions canisters to restore to original.
I have a spare inner right front fender and I have a good spare dash bezel ,and spare 1972 NOS grille, if I get full price they go with it, if I don't they won't.
It had a roll bar, but I had it removed. It does have a small welded tow receiver underneath the front crossmember for trailer towing, winching, and trailer strap security.

It now has a fresh, virtually all new parts dynoed 540-550 hp 470" Stage 2 alum head. 10.7-1 pump gas engine by AMP with less than 1,000 miles. MSD 6AL and MSD distributor. EVERYTHING was brand new, except the crank, rods and block. Runs excellent, drives excellent and is a strong cruiser or weekend driver. Dressed engine as period correct for '72 as the alum, heads and Edelbrock B4B intake are painted red. Original GS air cleaner, air cleaner supports, and fan blades included. Reduction starter. Coated silver TA S2 headers, brand new spare full 3" X pipe exhaust in the box. Brand new BG carb. Easy 11 second street combination now. For your one weekend of work it could be a mid-high 10 second car again, with different convertor, intake, cam, shocks and slicks. Everything else is there. It's completely turn key right now.

Offering at $39,500, which I think is very, very fair. I turned down over 55k 2 years back from more than one person, but we all know the market now, and the car is now priced accordingly. I think it's a steal. Someone will get a great car, with good strong history, and ownership care. A very rare, documented from new, authentic Stage 1.

I also have a custom built 2004 Pace Big Foot 28' white trailer with tons of trick factory options, custom cabinets, stainless steel countertops, 2 floor storage compartments, 12v and 110 lighting, flourescent lighting, high and low 12v lighting, 040 walls, extra height, Harley and car tandem haul provisions, Onan generator w/vented door and remote start, air compressor, internal air lines, external lights, polished stainless corners and trim, newer 16" 10 ply Goodyear radials with 95%+ tread, alum rims, spare tire, concealed winch, diamond plate floor pads and ramp door, Pit Pal door storage, wired for roof A/C, HD tongue jack, HD frame, 6,000# torsion axles, battery charger, 30amp home shorepower receptacle.. yada yada. Always warehouse inside stored when not used. Only used twice in the past year, 5 times in the last 3 years. Looks 6 months old. Invested 26k new, it would cost almost 30k today. I don't really care if the trailer sells, but it's offered at $14,500.

Whole package at $52k, and I will deliver to the GSCA Nat's next month after payment is made for free. $2.00 mile delivery anywhere east of the Miss. river if not sold by the GS Nat's. I can get it towards the NE NY area by the second week of June for a buyer in that area. Hell, fly in and drive it home if you want. Prefer to sell the car first, if it's not a package deal.

This is a serious sale. Please, please, no tire kickers, either you have cabbage, or not. Realistic offers accepted, but don't insult me. I'll do what I can to make the sale effortless. I do not have a myriad of fresh pic's, as my computer ate them ALL recently, but I will take some new specific one's for serious buyers. I know the economy sucks, but somebody is going to get a very fair, unrepeatable deal. Don't kick yourself in the ass later.

I've made a LOT of good friends with this car, got a LOT of respect, got some disrepect, and made some lifetime unforgettable bonds that only a Buick friendship can produce.

Thanx for your consideration, it's been a fun ride, a ton of fun http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

Jim Haas
buick528 (at) aol.com

Postsedan
04-20-2008, 05:05 AM
Truly an Historical Buick.... this one will sell very quickly. Great car....great story. Good luck with the sale. The memories that this car has given you in the last 14 years are Priceless.

Dan.

Charley Lillard
04-20-2008, 05:28 AM
I gotta say that is one of the better written ads I have read here. Good luck with the sale. Cool car. and fast too..

BUIZILLA
04-20-2008, 08:23 AM
thanx guys, this is REALLY tough to part with.... I will try and get much better pic's tomorrow. Actually Charlie, it lived hidden in the Modesto/Turlock area for several years.. would be pretty cool returning it to day 2 and racing against Red Alert and a few others..

thanx

Xplantdad
04-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Here are a few... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/lotsayenkopics/Members%20Rides/Buizilla/tn_buick3.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/lotsayenkopics/Members%20Rides/Buizilla/tn_buickagain.jpg

olredalert
04-20-2008, 06:55 PM
-------Jim is really well known in our boating world as one of the straightest shooters out there. Buy with complete confidence from this guy, then hire him to tune it as he can make 'em run!!!!.......Bill S

BUIZILLA
04-21-2008, 05:00 AM
I took a ton of pic's today

gotta figure out the resizing thingy

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

71-LS6
04-21-2008, 05:25 AM
Wow Jim, I'd always heard about your car but never realized the extensive history that thing has. 136 mph through full exhaust, what a monster! I bet it won't be around long at that price.

BUIZILLA
04-22-2008, 12:46 AM
thanx Steve...

I have a few names on the list already, in fact #1 on the list is from here, I guess the Red Alert challenge became a gauntlet http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif ... if he passes, then down the list we go to #2, who is a V8BUICK.com stalwart.. for those that have suggested privately that a flippers auction is the way to go, i'm not in it for the money, i'm in it for the hobby, and the preservation thereof.

JH

BUIZILLA
04-23-2008, 12:19 AM
ttt

BUIZILLA
04-26-2008, 06:53 AM
first responder couldn't close the deal

car is available

Belair62
04-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Absolutely a badass historic tri-shield...good luck...between this and the other killer Buick for sale here...someone has to snap these monsters up and have a blast.

PPPJJJFFF
04-28-2008, 05:35 PM
A Buick??? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Stump pullers!! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Good luck with the sale...Patrick

Stefano
04-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Bad A$$ Buick.

BUIZILLA
05-03-2008, 02:27 AM
would it help if I put SS454 emblems on it???

LOL

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

BUIZILLA
05-05-2008, 10:54 PM
shameless bump http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

flyingn
05-06-2008, 06:24 PM
to the top for Jim .. Hes a great guy.. Met him a few times at the Buick events when I was pitting for Joe Copson in the late 90's with his 8 second turbo trans am..

I know what you mean about the Buick friends Jim. I am selling my 11 year ownership Grand national (its in the ads here too) and am finding VERY hard to say good bye to the Buick world.. These guys are tight.. Very tight..

Good luck buddy..
Frank

BUIZILLA
05-24-2008, 04:10 PM
- SALE PENDING -

mmcporter
05-26-2008, 12:16 AM
congrats--hope she's going to a good home.

BUIZILLA
06-02-2008, 02:56 AM
- deal done -

Xplantdad
06-02-2008, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
- deal done -

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! Good for you...

I saw that red 'Cuda the other day again... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chevy454
06-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Congrats, Jim...someone got a good one!