PDA

View Full Version : Bill Thomas A/FX Nova a.k.a. Novacaine

Stefano
06-01-2008, 10:45 PM
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/248760/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

This car was recently purchased from Tom Clary"s Collection, in order to Make room for his new acquisition, "Red Alert".

I had the car picked up ASAP and rushed it over to the Indy/Mecum Auction, in order to try and get some TV exposure for the car. No one really knew what it is/was and the car did not sell. I really didn't expect it to.

This is a very significant and historical car, in my opinion. It serves as a proto-type to what later became known as "Funny Cars".

Drag Racers needed a safe and competitive car to compete against the Likes of the factory offerings from Chrysler and Ford.

GM was "officially" out of building race cars for the 1964 Model year.

It appears that the efforts and experience of Drag Racers, working directly with Bill Thomas lead to the development of this AF/X Nova. Bill's road racing inspired "Bad Boscom" Nova had already morphed into Dick's Retribution II.

He initially used the 409ci engine from his 1962 Impala in Bad Boscom!

Drag Racers purchased a new 1966 Nova, late in 1965, from one of his hometown dealers and had his wife drive it to Bill's shop, in Anaheim California.

The technology developed with this first Generation Nova, was applied to Dick's Red 1966 Nova, which became the "Nickey" Nova. He campaigned this car in the factory AF/X and heads up racing programs for the 1966 Season.

Bill Thomas released the "Kit" Nationaly, so that anyone could build a Chevy to compete with the factory supported offerings of Ford and Chrysler. Hundreds of these cars were built and raced at tracks all over the country.

The "Kit" was also offered by Nickey's speed Shop and Cataloge.

Other than Paint and the injected Small Block, this Nova remains very much the way it left Bill Thomas Race Cars.

I does have a letter from Bill Thomas III, verifying this as the car describled above.

The car features: The BT designed front Sub Frame.
Long BT built traction Bars
BT Dash Panel
BT Cheetah racing seats
The First Fiberglass Chevy II Front End
The first Nova Fiberglass Doors
The first Nova Fiberglass Deck Lid
Lexan Windows w/aluminum frames
Lots of cool vintage/authentic speed parts
Olds Rear
Super T-10 4 speed trans
etc etc....

Offered at $70,000.00

Stefano
07-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Looking to sell to best cash offer. Can deliver to SCR.

I have tracked down some of the previous owners and have more cool history. It seems that the car may have been last raced in the 1970s, the way it sits today.

sYc
07-29-2008, 07:27 PM
I am surprised this car has not found a new home. With all of the interest in old gassers now days, especially injected and with straight axles, this has to be one of the coolest ones out there. All original, built by Bill Thomas, featured in era magazines, and built along side Dick Harrell's '66 Nickey Nova.

Stefano
09-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Car is sold, it has found a new Home. We'll all have a chance to see it again soon.

PeteLeathersac
09-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Great news!.
Congrats to the new owner of a VERY COOL car!!!

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif
~ Pete
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif