The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Baldwin-Motion Performance (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Big Mike Taylor’s L89 Motion Corvette (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=175131)

olredalert 03-28-2023 08:41 PM

----Great project! What Motion modifications were actually made. Of course, I can see the flared fender extensions. I actually used the same ones on a 69 I had. I don't see any other body mods though. No back window, no reversed front fender scoops. Were the mods mostly mechanical?.....Bill S

Tuna Joe 03-29-2023 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olredalert (Post 1618757)
----Great project! What Motion modifications were actually made. Of course, I can see the flared fender extensions. I actually used the same ones on a 69 I had. I don't see any other body mods though. No back window, no reversed front fender scoops. Were the mods mostly mechanical?.....Bill S

No idea. Big Mike has passed away, Jeff the past owner (motion69) has passed away, Joel is no longer authenticating.
I did speak to Gary “The Brush” who did most or if not all of the mods, stripes, and painting of the Motion cars but he doesn’t remember and said he had no interaction with the customers.
I believe he did say that he painted 2 of Joel’s personal corvettes gold.

What I can tell you is the car was flared, it has the slotted rims, the Lemans gas cap, and it has the bullet side mirrors. I also have the single traction bar that appears to have come off the car.

I’m hoping to be able to speak with Big Mike’s brother or son and see what they remember.

I was told by the seller that Big Mike’s brother told him that when the car was delivered, he then took the car to Joel and paid another $6,000 for the Motion conversion.
I can tell you that the TI amp is still in its original position so honestly, I don’t know.
I would love to have some clarity on what was done.

It blows my mind that for over 23 years, not one owner ever attempted to have the car authenticated by Joel.
I truly believe it would be hard to not remember an NFL player bringing his L89 corvette in to be worked on.

Maybe Martyn remembers something about the car and Big Mike?

Lynn 03-29-2023 01:07 PM

Pantera was Larry Clain from Tulsa, OK. maybe 07? He died quite a few years ago; maybe 07? I knew him just from email and phone calls. Never got to meet him face to face.

There was another fellow named Perry on this site who was very close to Larry. Screen name was 440sixpack, I think. I haven't seen Perry on this site for years.

Perry and I got together for a beer after the estate sale.

Xplantdad 03-29-2023 05:39 PM

And there was Ed Gilpin, too? :dunno:

https://www.yenko.net/forum/member.php?u=41153

JoeC 03-30-2023 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Larry's Motion Corvette was a Phase III GT

did you talk to Martyn Schorr to see if he remembers the car ?

can try looking through all the old magazines

maybe some photos can be found through the football teams?

do you know if he drag raced it ? if so where ?

Tuna Joe 03-31-2023 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeC (Post 1618968)
Larry's Motion Corvette was a Phase III GT

did you talk to Martyn Schorr to see if he remembers the car ?

can try looking through all the old magazines

maybe some photos can be found through the football teams?

do you know if he drag raced it ? if so where ?

I’d love to chat with Martyn about this car.
I’m pretty sure he ran the car hard. Original motor, trans and rear is gone.

As far as pictures go, the PO said the family only had one picture of Big Mike standing behind the car in his Steeler uniform.. really hope I’m able to get a copy of that picture.

The car will be delivered this Saturday and I can’t wait to start going thru things.
I have boxes and boxes of Stuff that either came off the car or have been collected over the years.

JoeC 03-31-2023 12:23 PM

did it have side pipes on it ?

did it have the hone overdrive?

did you find any added switches or holes or added wiring in the console?

I remember a story where a football player had a Motion Corvette and he would run it at high speed and had installed an after market radio with head phones because the side pipes were so loud on the highway

Tuna Joe 03-31-2023 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeC (Post 1619014)
did it have side pipes on it ?

did it have the hone overdrive?

did you find any added switches or holes or added wiring in the console?

I remember a story where a football player had a Motion Corvette and he would run it at high speed and had installed an after market radio with head phones because the side pipes were so loud on the highway

Funny you say that. Yes it’s a Sidepipe car and there are toggle switches on the console. No idea what those were for. He also cut holes into the rear storage for speakers.
I don’t know about the Hone OD yet.
Car will be delivered tomorrow

Ralph Spears 03-31-2023 08:45 PM

Sports & Entertainment figures always bought Cadillacs back in those days.

GMC_Typhoon 03-31-2023 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuna Joe (Post 1619052)
Funny you say that. Yes it’s a Sidepipe car and there are toggle switches on the console. No idea what those were for. He also cut holes into the rear storage for speakers.
I don’t know about the Hone OD yet.
Car will be delivered tomorrow

I'm sure you've seen this as 185 pictures of the car. https://www.carrollstauto.com/detail...vette/89782347