The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Ford-Mercury (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   My "shop find" Bullitt Stang! (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=139149)

cook_dw 08-08-2017 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A12pilot (Post 1363207)
:eek2: Paint next week!

http://static1.fjcdn.com/comments/Pi...7e23cd54d1.png

A12pilot 08-08-2017 01:13 AM

Oh....ye of little faith, Mr. Cook!! :thumbsdown: Well....you're probably right. Plus, what kind of thread would this be if it were just a few pics of a restored car?!?! Where's the humor? Where the drivel????? Nobody wants another boring thread! :bs:wink::hmmm:

More to come....

Cheers:beers:

Dave

earntaz 08-08-2017 01:16 AM

"Nobody wants another boring thread!"

Sorry -- "Nobody" is not the majority here ... keep the build pics/updates comin' ... TAZ >>>> and THANKS!!! :beers:

cook_dw 08-08-2017 11:22 AM

Dave, if I didnt love your build threads I wouldnt post in them..

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...NTUWKlRTZ4hdCg

A12pilot 08-26-2017 01:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Darrel, your replies are what keeps me going....You...complete..me!!!!!:hmmm:

Diggin' deeper into the Stang-a-Tang, I mounted up the decklid and notice that for the life of me, I couldn't get it from hitting the transition panel between the trunk opening and rear window. I figured this was something of an aftermarket decklid issue. But after looking at the stock one and seeing the same thing, I turned my attention to the rear filler panel. Sure enough...look!:eek2: A nice difference in the gap between that panel and the quarter panel joint. And that's a factory weld!!!!:thumbsdown: What's one to do? Simple! Get out the grinder, slice the panel, recess, weld, grind smooth, sand with 80 grit, reseal with epoxy, align the decklid. See?!???! SIMPLE!!!!!:frown:

Now that the backside is all lined up, the fenders and doors will come off and I'll start the rust repair on the front side by the battery tray and firewall. Small patches needed on both of those areas. Lots of time off next month so updates a coming fast and furious I tells ya!!!!!:headbang:

Dave

earntaz 08-26-2017 03:33 PM

It's always somthing ... just cuz it's factory doesn't make it right ... TAZ

A12pilot 10-14-2017 11:00 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Back on the Stang after a break for Bee finalization! I left off with fixing the rear window filler panel, and since then I've completed all the metal work. Another round of epoxy since this has sat so long without being topcoated, and I had combined red and gray epoxy to make the highly coveted "pink" epoxy that we all strive to achieve! :hmmm:. But hey, it was just to cover the floors up after laying down more seam sealer, underside of the roof, and a few other interior panels. Straight Red Oxide all in the trunk:biggthumpup:.

Disassembled the doors, fenders, and blasted the hinges. Reinstalled those so I'd be sure and goof up that perfect factory alignment. Much like the Bee, this is a 50k mile car that spent most of it's life with the doors shut. And much like the Bee, I didn't need to rebuild the hinges. I couldn't believe it either, but they're tight as a Senior Airline Captain's wallet at the bar! :tongue:

After I got it all primed with DPS3055, I reassembled for easy blocking. Doors, decklid, rear valance, and quarter panel endcaps get painted on the car. The whole front end parts do not. But for ease of blocking them out, it's better assembled. Later this week I'll get the valances primed up and the hood mounted. The engine bay is going to take a few rounds of sanding first. Amazing how many factory runs are in there! I did find three factory markings I'll replicate: a white "C" on the outside of the battery tray area (above the primer, under the undercoating), a yellow "X" on the drivers side outer core support under the black paint, and a white "610" on the lower radiator crossmember on top of the black paint. So freakin ' coooool!

Cheers
Dave

A12pilot 10-14-2017 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know one of the biggest questions is whether life exists outside of our planet. More importantly, whether or not it's ever visited Earth. :hmmm:

I have definitive proof that it does, and it has! This is CLEARLY one of the landing gear pads from the Mothership! As Giorgio would say..."I'm not saying this is from Ancient Aliens....I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is it couldn't be from anything BUT, from Ancient Aliens!":hmmm::biggthumpup:

Cheers

Dave

Woj 10-14-2017 12:04 PM

Dave,

The roof looks like it was a place to sit for drive-in movies back in the day.

Are you going to re-skin the roof?

Phil

Ryan1969Chevelle 10-14-2017 01:13 PM

Looks like a foul ball.

Ryan

A12pilot 10-14-2017 01:20 PM

Nah....a roof skin is for amateurs! I'm going to hammer it all out to be a showcase for my metal work skills!:biggthumpup: And..... after I screw it up worse than it already is.... I'll skin it! :rolleyes2:

But seriously, no.... I'll be beating these out. They're not as bad as they look. After all..... I'm going for that post Bullitt chase scene look anyway. So a few dings would be right up the alley for the proper look!:biggthumpup:

Cheers

Dave

Billohio 10-15-2017 04:27 PM

Amazing work Dave

earntaz 10-15-2017 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A12pilot (Post 1371173)
Nah....a roof skin is for amateurs! I'm going to hammer it all out to be a showcase for my metal work skills!:biggthumpup: And..... after I screw it up worse than it already is.... I'll skin it! :rolleyes2:

But seriously, no.... I'll be beating these out. They're not as bad as they look. After all..... I'm going for that post Bullitt chase scene look anyway. So a few dings would be right up the alley for the proper look!:biggthumpup:

Cheers

Dave

All it takes is time and talent ... it's your car and you have both ... TAZ

A12pilot 10-21-2017 11:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Words of inspiration, TAZ!:biggthumpup: And with that, out came the hammers and a few small shaping anvils and I went to town. And that town was Blockville! A town I know all too well and always hope to just be a passer through, yet always stay for months:rolleyes2:. After a few days of hammering, I was looking for my large Acme anvil to drop on the car to put it out of it's misery!!!:thumbsdown: But, I'm pretty happy with the results so far. The roof is by far the hardest part of this old Stangatang. I'm down to 220 right now on the body, and I think by the beginning of November it'll be ready for paint! :biggthumpup::biggthumpup::biggthumpup:
The paint plan will be in stages like I did the Bee for the best overall finished look. Can't wait to lay down the Highland Green funk!!!:3gears:

A12pilot 10-21-2017 11:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Starting on the smaller parts shows the red oxide primer on the backside of the rear valance. This part was attached to the car with the screw along the top but not the lower end corners. That let the valance hang away from the car during paint. The result? Overspray on the backside and a clear, distinct primer line right where the valance attaches to the car. I got pics of that at home ill post up later this week on the next update. Stay tuned...more to come with scenes you just don't want to miss! :hmmm:

Cheers
Dave

A12pilot 10-28-2017 12:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Roof is looking way better after a bunch of hammering. It's down to 220 right now, as is the rest of the car. Getting closer to paint!!! Oh.... but don't worry. I'll have some sort of flub-up here shortly to liven up the post:hmmm:

Cheers

Dave

Jonesy 10-28-2017 12:54 PM

Wow that looks great. That roof would have scared me a lot.

A12pilot 10-28-2017 09:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks! Day three of roof blocking. Man.... can't wait to have this one painted and clean up the shop again. My camera broke so no action shots right now. Well....it didn't actually "break". Well, then again, it broke after I threw it across the shop..... so yeah... the camera broke! :biggthumpup: But fear not! Another one will be boughten (bougten?:hmmm:) tomorrow!

The car is down to 320. Surprisingly, only just a few missed spots. The guys at my shop think I'm nuts since I rub my hand over each panel, pencil in the other hand, and circle any imperfection I see. I'm thinking paint next week! Woohoo! More to come...

Cheers
Dave

A12pilot 10-29-2017 07:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Down to 320....again. A quick wash and then the pencil comes our yet again:thumbsdown: With the panels wet, slight waves really come out. Fenders look good.... roof looks good, but I can see one spot I missed. If you look at that picture, you can see the gutter line of the building and there's a nice womptie in it. That is a spot I was too light on when I was sanding. Wave still there. In the words of my chip guy at my favorite local Mexican restaurant..."Aye Carumba, Senor...es No Bueno!" I'll do a final round with guide coat to get all the small spots for sure!

Cheers
Dave

Xplantdad 10-29-2017 09:37 PM

Very nice Dave!

m22mike 10-29-2017 11:11 PM

Lookin' good Dave :biggthumpup:

A12pilot 11-02-2017 10:59 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys! I think it's ready. Today I'll go over it again with the pencil, circling any imperfections I see. I hit the roof with another round of guide coat to be sure I'm not seeing any missed spots. :thumbsdown:

On another note, I created "Jigasarus":headbang: to hold all the parts in the booth for painting! Roaming the land, the rare and shy Jigasaurus snags up miscellaneous unpainted parts, coats them in PPG base/clear, then let's then go in the wild to be reassembled onto a fully painted body.:ooo::ooo::ooo:

So I'll start the paint process today with another wash, then a final round of epoxy primer in the interior, trunk, and undercarriage. Once that's dry, I'll mask off everything and paint the trunk and the parts in the booth. The next day I'll mask off the engine bay, interior, and trunk and paint the body. Much like the Bee....a multi stage and multi day event! :burnout:

More to come next week!

Cheers
Dave

Ryan1969Chevelle 11-02-2017 11:22 AM

Steve McQueen would be proud.

Ryan

Xplantdad 11-02-2017 12:28 PM

Looks great Dave!

m22mike 11-02-2017 03:53 PM

Dave
Looks like you spritz the guide coat, have you ever tried 3M dry guide coat ? A Inquiring not so bright mind wants to know. Nice work, save some energy for the show will ya :beers:

A12pilot 11-02-2017 09:02 PM

Mike,

Funny you say that, since the 3M stuff is actually what I use. But when I went to my paint house they were out, so I decided to give this a try. I like it, actually. Most of the time I wind up spilling the dry coat and that stuff gets all over the place!

Cheers
Dave

PS: trunk done, overspray done.... tonight will be fenders, the hood, headlight buckets and quarter panel extensions! Tomorrow night..... main body! Woohoo!

m22mike 11-03-2017 12:22 AM

Yea, at the price for it you do not want to spill any :frown:
I like it because you can add more if needed and keep sanding.

Mike

A12pilot 11-03-2017 01:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Overspray on the undercarriage, trunk, fenders, hood, quarter panel end caps, and headlight buckets painted. Tonight I'll be spraying the body! Oh.... and one more detail trick I need to do is gray primer rings around all 8 mounting points where the chassis was mounted to the assembly line fixture. More to come on that....

Dave

HawkX66 11-03-2017 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A12pilot (Post 1373804)
Overspray on the undercarriage, trunk, fenders, hood, quarter panel end caps, and headlight buckets painted. Tonight I'll be spraying the body! More to come.....

Dave

Mechanical work is "easy" Dave. It takes a true artist to do bodywork and paint. You sir are an artist. That paint is coming out beautiful.

Crush 11-03-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkX66 (Post 1373805)
Mechanical work is "easy" Dave. It takes a true artist to do bodywork and paint. You sir are an artist. That paint is coming out beautiful.

X2

A12pilot 11-03-2017 01:34 PM

Wow! Thanks, guys! :blush: I appreciate the compliments! I can't wait to reassemble the body then cut and buff it out! Very happy so far......

Dave

Billohio 11-03-2017 02:40 PM

Dave is a machine! Great work

Lemans69 11-03-2017 03:45 PM

Outstanding work! I really enjoy following all of your builds!

Tracker1 11-03-2017 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, this is getting gooood! Nice work.

Spin this on the turntable when you spray tonight :)

A12pilot 11-03-2017 07:51 PM

You guys rock! Yes.... good idea Track.... I'll do it! Wonder how many times I have to play that chase scene during the whole paint process?:hmmm: Let's see.... sealer with a :30 minute flash time before the base coat. 2 coats of Highland Green....12 minutes flash between coats and :30 flash prior to clear. 3 coats of clear....12 minute flash between first and second....24 minute between second and third. Add that all up... divide by the 8 minute chase scence...... denominator..... carry the one.....uh oh.....Math in Public... bad idea! I'll just hit the repeat button! :scholar::headbang:

Pics tomorrow!

Dave

olredalert 11-03-2017 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracker1 (Post 1373832)
Oh, this is getting gooood! Nice work.

Spin this on the turntable when you spray tonight :)

----That album cover should be bronzed. So friggin CQQL!!!!.......Bill S

Woj 11-04-2017 11:31 AM

Dave,

You are a one-man "Overhaulin" show. Great progress! Paint looks great.
Can't wait to see it assembled.

Keep up the good work.

Phil

scuncio 11-04-2017 08:34 PM

Nice work, looks fantastic.

A12pilot 11-04-2017 09:54 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Pa...pa....pa...paaaaaaiiiint!! :eek2::eek2::eek2::biggthumpup:

You'll all be happy to know, that the run on the fender, matches the run on the quarter.... which matches the run on the trunk.... which matches the run on the other door! :hmmm::thumbsdown: But seriously, just two runs to sand out in the last coat of clear. DCU2021 Mike..Medium reducer. This time, no Mothra landed in the paint! :laugh: Why you ask? Remember.... he's already entombed in the Bee's fender!:crazy:

I did a few details on the undercarriage too. Painted the primer circles on the frame areas where it was bolted to the assembly line jig for paint. Also used a brush and more neatly applied the pinch weld blackout.

More later this week when I spray the engine bay and sound deadener on!:laugh::biggthumpup:

Hope you guys like!

Cheers
Dave

A12pilot 11-04-2017 09:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Kind of hard to photograph this Highland Green..... can't wait to get the fenders back on and cut and buff! :biggthumpup:

Cheers
Dave