The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   My new 68 El Camino project (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=133383)

Lynn 07-24-2015 02:25 AM

My new 68 El Camino project

5 Attachment(s)
I wanted something with a little more cool factor for those times when I need to haul something. The F150 just wasn't doing it for me, so I am selling it. It has been very reliable, but hey, its still a ferd.

Just bought a 68 El Camino, originally Grecian Green, black interior, 307 pg, factory air (needs at least a compressor, but most parts are there) and ps.

Has had at least one color change, and is currently flat black. Very rust free body, with slight damage to rf fender. Still in shock as to how little rust there is.

Still has the power glide with a 69 or 70 vintage 350 two barrel. Only missing two small pieces of trim, but the rest has been pulled to prep for paint. Needs weather strip. Runs and drives, but I plan to trailer it home. Short term plan is:

Get rid of the hideous red window tint.

Re-install original steering wheel (came with the car).

Replace leaking pg with 200r4

Get engine in good running order. Will wait and see if it needs a rebuild.

Go through the brakes and front end.

Get the body cleaned up and paint flat black.

Install some used tires and wheels (think I have some located).

Install a trailer hitch, and it will be my utility vehicle for now.

I don't haul much heavy stuff. When I do, I can use my Studebaker farm truck. For hauling cars, I can use this to pull my car hauler trailer. I will need to wire it so the trailer brakes work.

Long term will probably go back with the Grecian Green paint. Not worried about being Purdy right now.

Xplantdad 07-24-2015 03:10 AM

Re: My new 68 El Camino project

Nice hauler [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

wagonman 07-24-2015 04:53 AM

looks pretty straight...

currently working on a 70 El Camino my dad gave my son.....

power windows
ac
th350
power disc

kinda growing on me.....

SS427 07-24-2015 01:07 PM

Great project car and will look great when you get it all fixed up.

markinnaples 07-24-2015 01:24 PM

Big fan of El Caminos here, and '68 is a great year with their &quot;off&quot; center (horizontally at least) grill.

Should be cool when it's done, esp when you go back to Grecian Green (great color).

earntaz 07-24-2015 02:21 PM

Lynn -- AWESOME start ... now get to it. TAZ

Lynn 07-25-2015 01:55 PM

Going to get it this morning.
Don't expect any updates for awhile. All I am doing is gathering parts until Oct.

We have a ton of work to do before Sept 18, when my daughter is getting married at the wedding chapel across the street, with the reception at our house.

earntaz 07-25-2015 02:40 PM

$$$ First things first $$$

Lynn 08-03-2015 02:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
OK, I know I said I wasn't going to do any work on the El Camino (btw, that's Spanish for THE camino) until Oct.

But, I found a set of VINTAGE Centerline wheels with the screw on caps with tires that I could NOT pass up.

These babies are dull, but not a scratch on them. 15 x 8 in front 15 x 10 in rear with the correct offsets.

So, I had to put on the hijackers and see what it looked like with these tires and wheels on it.

Verne_Frantz 08-03-2015 01:45 PM

Lynn,
U-Haul can build you a class-III hitch for it. They don't list it as currently available, but they will build it from their old specs. I just installed one on my '69 ELC and it fits perfectly. Comes with all the hardware and powder coated.

Verne [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]