The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Day 2 stuff-modified cars (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Hurst Ram Rod in 2nd Gen F Body (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=148644)

MECTransAm 04-25-2018 02:15 AM

Hurst Ram Rod in 2nd Gen F Body

1 Attachment(s)
Does anybody have any photos of the Hurst Ram Rod installed in a second Gen F body..i have a 70 Trans Am That i'm considering installing one in,but....i don't want to brutally hack the floor and was wondering if the rods clear the tunnel and if so...how big a hole and any problems with hitting the dash in 3rd gear?Thanks, Mike C.

Ryan1969Chevelle 04-25-2018 08:54 AM

Go for it!!!

Ryan

njsteve 04-25-2018 11:33 AM

You will have to drastically cut up and remove the side of the tunnel for the rods to fit. I did it to my 1st Gen Camaro back in high school and it took a ton of hacksawing and prying to get the shifter to fit and not bind against the side of the tunnel. In addition, the shifter itself comes out of the floor in a totally different area than the stock opening so you will be sawing that area away as well and then you'll have to cover the old shifter hole. The second gen is not much different than the first gen in this matter.

The shifter tower does not move more than a couple inches fore and aft (no side to side movement) so there is no way it will get any where near your dashboard during operation.

I remember my shifter fondly (other than the hacking up of the car) as it was really cool and a great anti-theft device since no one else knew how to operate it.

Look at the photo of the green Chevelle installation here to get a sample of how much has to be removed: https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthrea...=147921&page=2

big gear head 04-25-2018 12:30 PM

I put one in my '69 Camaro and I didn't cut the floor as much as some people did. I cut the hole larger for the shifter to fit, but I didn't cut the side of the tunnel for the rods. I hammered the side of the tunnel so the rods would clear. I didn't have to hammer on it much and you can't really tell that I did it. I have a big block cross member in my car which moves the transmission to the right about 1/2 inch, so that might be what made the difference.

MECTransAm 04-25-2018 12:44 PM

appreciate all the feedback,However the Green Chevelle in the V gate thread is exactly that, a V Gate , Not a Ram Rod , which sure looks like it would take up alot more space....i've never had the v Gate, had a Ram Rod Years ago...so i don't know...any more thoughts on the space required for the Ram Rod is greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you all!!!

big gear head 04-26-2018 01:14 AM

Mine was the Hurst shifter, not the Mr. Gasket.

njsteve 04-26-2018 01:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MECTransAm (Post 1398380)
appreciate all the feedback,However the Green Chevelle in the V gate thread is exactly that, a V Gate , Not a Ram Rod , which sure looks like it would take up alot more space....i've never had the v Gate, had a Ram Rod Years ago...so i don't know...any more thoughts on the space required for the Ram Rod is greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you all!!!

This is the exact shifter I had in my Camaro. The Ram Rod was the Hurst "street" version of a vertical gate shifter. It only move forward and back. To engage first you pull the finger grip handle up and push it forward. Second is a direct yank back. Third you push forward and the spring drops it into the lower gate, and for forth you pull back. The separate handle activates reverse once the shifter is placed in the center neutral position.

The reason these contraptions require so much metal carnage is that the rods are completely straight from the transmission levers on the side cover to the shifter mechanism. As a result, the shifter is mounted far left of the factory position. All I can tell is that from experience I had to cut a lot to make it clear everything.

Ryan1969Chevelle 04-26-2018 02:12 AM

To confuse things further:-) my A body had a Street Super shifter with straight rods but no tunnel cutting.

Ryan

MECTransAm 04-26-2018 02:16 AM

Hey Ryan 1969 Chevelle, would you happen to have any photos? they probably mount very similar...

Ryan1969Chevelle 04-26-2018 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MECTransAm (Post 1398479)
Hey Ryan 1969 Chevelle, would you happen to have any photos? they probably mount very similar...

Yup, I will find some pictures.

The gate/body is mounted higher and closer to the driver so the rods are straight. This one is a push down for reverse model :-)

Ryan